46 replies to this topic

#36 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

Cruising can definitely be good value for your money --- however if you have never gone you want to ensure you know everything about the TOTAL cost before you go. I have done 7 cruises and definitely get my money's worth.

When you see prices online, make sure you look for total price including port charges. Also remember tipping is extra (usually $10 per day per person), as will be any alcohol, and any on-shore excurions you might want to take (ie. tours, snorkleing etc). Cabin sizes to me dont matter. I would rather take an inside cabin and pay less pp than pay $100 more pp for a window etc but again -- depends if you plan on being in your room for any length of time other than for sleeping!

We just did a 5 night cruise in Feb. I had previously never done anything less than 7 nights and personally is my preference as you lose the first day getting settled in (not entirely but will fly by) and last night are packing up.

I would also be cautious on time of year depending on where you are going. ie. late fall is hurricane season in many parts of the bahama's etc so just something to consider.

Aside from Disney thou, I think cruises are FANTASTIC vacations for families with kids! Tons to do for everyone of all ages.

#37 LyndaSoo41

LyndaSoo41

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:47 AM

Cruising can definitely be good value for your money --- however if you have never gone you want to ensure you know everything about the TOTAL cost before you go. I have done 7 cruises and definitely get my money's worth.

When you see prices online, make sure you look for total price including port charges. Also remember tipping is extra (usually $10 per day per person), as will be any alcohol, and any on-shore excurions you might want to take (ie. tours, snorkleing etc). Cabin sizes to me dont matter. I would rather take an inside cabin and pay less pp than pay $100 more pp for a window etc but again -- depends if you plan on being in your room for any length of time other than for sleeping!

We just did a 5 night cruise in Feb. I had previously never done anything less than 7 nights and personally is my preference as you lose the first day getting settled in (not entirely but will fly by) and last night are packing up.

I would also be cautious on time of year depending on where you are going. ie. late fall is hurricane season in many parts of the bahama's etc so just something to consider.

Aside from Disney thou, I think cruises are FANTASTIC vacations for families with kids! Tons to do for everyone of all ages.

True about the tipping- forgot to mention that part ($10.00 per person per day)- but you're gonna tip no matter where you go, so to me thats just part of spending money.

Hurrican Season is (according to the weather network August to the end of October, and the GREAT thing about being on the ship is if they see a storm...they sail the other way! A resort- you are a sitting duck! We had gorgeous weather the whole trip!

#38 kears

kears

was #36 joined in Mar. 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

FYI...the $10 a day per person is automatic, but you can have it removed and/or reduced. Just visit customer service your 1st day onboard! We did this as we sailed with the 5 of us and a 5 day cruise was going to cost an extra $125.00 just in tips. We do the envelopes at the end of the cruise and then we can chose how much to pay each person...from the cabin boy to our head waiter!

#39 kears

kears

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

I've done 2 cruises with the kids and 2 trips to Disney.

Disney is a totally different trip. It's about "exploring" the parks and seeing the attractions. You do a lot of walking and quite a bit of waiting (depending on the season). It is an amazing experience for the kids though! My kids didn't enjoy it that much when we stayed off site and just spent the day in Magic Kingdom...(it was too hot and croweded as we went during March break). The second trip there was in Feb. and we stayed at Pop Century (we booked 2 rooms so that the 5 of us space and the 2 bathrooms came in handy!)

STaying in Disney Resort was fantastic as it make everything more convenient. We did get a park hopper (free upgrade)..we didn't use it much but the day that it got too hot, we did switch to Blizzard Beach.

If you're planning a trip...start researching now, there is so much available as far as forums and websites that you'll want time to check them all out.

Cruising is great too, but far more relaxing and more about the kids being in Camp Carnival while the adults enjoy the ship., we did some trips onshore like snorkling, but it is better for older kids imo.

#40 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:23 AM

FYI...the $10 a day per person is automatic, but you can have it removed and/or reduced. Just visit customer service your 1st day onboard! We did this as we sailed with the 5 of us and a 5 day cruise was going to cost an extra $125.00 just in tips. We do the envelopes at the end of the cruise and then we can chose how much to pay each person...from the cabin boy to our head waiter!

Agreed you can it removed/reduced but I cannot imagine doing so. The $10 a day is covering various service people - and considering they are only paid basically their TIP wages, I definitely have no issue with this as a fair amount.

#41 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

When we went to Florida for 16 days our costs were roughly:

$1000 -- condo (3 bed/3 bath/heat private splash pool)
$400 -- gas and hotels on way there and back because we drove
$1000 -- food, including groceries for the condo, eating out, park food, one character meal, snacks
$1800 -- 10 day WDW tickets with park hoppers, water parks (which technically means 10 days for reg. parks and 10 days for waterparks, so 20 days total), and no expiry **Note: We only used 5 days of the reg. parks and 3 days of water parks/Disney Quest, so we will get a second and possibly a third trip out of these tickets, so for the total below I only counted half of this cost)
$400 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure 7 day passes

So roughly $3700 for 16 days for a family of four and that included WDW and Universal. Universal tickets are more expensive now, as are WDW tickets, however the price increase on WDW tickets won't affect us when we go back since we already bought them.

#42 kears

kears

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

Agreed you can it removed/reduced but I cannot imagine doing so. The $10 a day is covering various service people - and considering they are only paid basically their TIP wages, I definitely have no issue with this as a fair amount.

I do agree, but my 3yo really shouldn't be paying $10/day in tips. I just wish that they paid attention to the ages of their passengers.

#43 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:42 PM

I do agree, but my 3yo really shouldn't be paying $10/day in tips. I just wish that they paid attention to the ages of their passengers.

see I found they paid the most attention to my 4 year old. All the staff specifically went out of their way for her. Right from the extra towel animals, using her items in the room to make more animals, encorporating her stuff animals with the towel animals, cleaning up her spilled juice all over the bed...all the way to our waiter that spent the extra attention and time to make her happy.

We really love family cruising!!

#44 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

Not sure if infants etc are excluded but we had two 4yr olds with us (amoung a couple other kids) The dining room sat them at their own table beside ours and made it kid freindly every night, the room stewards too extra care to make up their bunks nightly, make them the towel animals etc etc --- so I would glady tip on behalf of my kids as well. They crew worked just as hard to entertain and care for them as well.

#45 kears

kears

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

Not sure if infants etc are excluded but we had two 4yr olds with us (amoung a couple other kids) The dining room sat them at their own table beside ours and made it kid freindly every night, the room stewards too extra care to make up their bunks nightly, make them the towel animals etc etc --- so I would glady tip on behalf of my kids as well. They crew worked just as hard to entertain and care for them as well.

I agree, but by doing the tips at the end...we were able to give a personal envelope to each person...the cabin stewards, the waiters, etc. The kids can even put a message. But, after paying $50/day automatically....this would not leave much room for personal tips at the end. It's not that I don't tip, but I think it's presumptuous for them to force you to pre-pay your tips.....I like rewarding good service and I do!

#46 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

love the idea of being able to leave a note..

next time I will ensure she does.

#47 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

I agree, but by doing the tips at the end...we were able to give a personal envelope to each person...the cabin stewards, the waiters, etc. The kids can even put a message. But, after paying $50/day automatically....this would not leave much room for personal tips at the end. It's not that I don't tip, but I think it's presumptuous for them to force you to pre-pay your tips.....I like rewarding good service and I do!

Sorry I was more thinking you were diputing that $10 a day / pp didnt seem reasonable. I agree handing an envelope to each person, personally, is also very nice to do. And I have also done that as well but used the recommended guidelines (which then equaled $10 /d/pp) to determine my amounts. I dont disagree with the boat automatically adding this elsewise -- is convenient to add on your credit card total at the end. And I think people who 'cheap out' and dont leave anything, possibly is minimized this way.

Sorry didnt mean to hijack the Disney post! :)