#1 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

2011-04-13 11:54:27

A 6 year old Lakeshore girl is fighting for her life after a tragic accident this morning. Police say 3 children were getting ready to go to school this morning when a 6 year old girl was run over in her driveway. OPP were called to the home in the 2100 block of Big Creek Road, south of Lighthouse Cove just after 8am. Constable Janet Hayes says 2 children, a 9 year old boy and a 3 year old girl, were inside the vehicle. She says the boy was behind the wheel of the GMC van and put it into reverse.

#2 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

OMG how awful. I bet her brother feels just horrible! yikes.

#3 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

So tragic! I always cringe when I see parents letting their kids play in the front seat of a car. A car is not and never should be used as a toy!

#4 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

This makes me sick to my stomach! How horrible!!

#5 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:00 PM

The 3 year old ran over the 6 year old. Someone should have been watchgn them with a running car. UGH. Hope she is ok.

#6 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:07 PM

:( I hope she is ok!

#7 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:19 PM

I am so saddened by the fact that there are people on here who are so judgemental!! This family is dealing with a HUGE tragedy!! Instead of pointing fingers of blame lets pray for this family and this little girl who is fighting for her life!!

#8 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

Judgemental? This could have been avoided had their been supervision, it is very sad. No one is judging. I am sorry but some things should not happen.

#9 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:37 PM

I'm so sorry that such an accident happened :( Praying for the little one who is fighting for her life :(

#10 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

They are now saying the 9 year old backed the van up not the 3 year old, which makes sense. The brake woudl have had to be pushed to shift. HOw would the 3 year old do that?

She was not air lifted, but transported to London by ambulance, hopefully this is a good sign and it is not too severe. Praying for her and the family.

#11 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

Judgemental? This could have been avoided had their been supervision, it is very sad. No one is judging. I am sorry but some things should not happen.

Well I am glad that you are a perfect parent who makes no mistakes!! Do you not think that these parents are thinking these very things...the "what ifs"!

#12 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

I must be an idiot, cuz I let the boys play in the van all the time. It never occurred to me that the van could move without being running.

I feel sorry for those parents and especially that boy!

#13 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:13 PM

I really hope the parents don't take it out on the 9 year old though. That would just make a bad situation even worse.

#14 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

I must be an idiot, cuz I let the boys play in the van all the time. It never occurred to me that the van could move without being running.

Where did it say it was not running? I must have missed that. If it was not running that is a different story, althought most vehicle will not shift when not running. And if so, you would not think it would have moved enough to do harm.

I never said I was a perfect parent, far from it. Accidents do happen, but like I said, some are avoidable by thinking of consequence ahead of time.

I am sure the parents are saying that too, but there are far too many children too young, left unattended in improper circumstances.

#15 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

It didn't say it wasn't. But it didn't say it was. I just figured that if it WAS running, they would have said that? hmmm I'm not sure! lol

#16 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

As a busy mom with 3 kids, I can totally see how this could have happened. They are scrambling out the door to get their day started. Mom/dad gets in, starts the car, and sure enough somebody forgot something in the house. They scramble back in to grab the backpack, lunch, forgotten item and in a split second, an accident happens. It could have been anyone on this board in a similar situation. A crazy, hectic, before school morning. We all have these days.

My heart goes out to this family.

#17 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

True. It's not like they left the kid to cook in the van all day...;)

#18 Marsha

Marsha

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,906 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

How awful!! My heart just breaks hearing this. They are all in my thoughts.

#19 SourPickle

SourPickle

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

OMG thats so tragic. Hopefully the child will pull through and be okay.

#20 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

Often times I'm ready to pull out when I've forgotten that one thing...my cell, my wedding ring, my wallet and I put the car in park, left running and run back in to get it. I'm with Mrs. Divine M, and am also an idiot!!

#21 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:47 PM

My house key is on my car keys, so I would have to shut the car off to get into the house.

#22 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

My house key is on my car keys, so I would have to shut the car off to get into the house.

mine too

#23 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

my heart goes out to this family.....

#24 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

oh yikes! I cant imagine how that poor boy feels!

#25 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

Where did it say it was not running? I must have missed that. If it was not running that is a different story, althought most vehicle will not shift when not running. And if so, you would not think it would have moved enough to do harm.

I never said I was a perfect parent, far from it. Accidents do happen, but like I said, some are avoidable by thinking of consequence ahead of time.

I am sure the parents are saying that too, but there are far too many children too young, left unattended in improper circumstances.

Accidents are just that accidents, something that happened that was never intended to happen! You said that this could have been avoided with supervision...are you telling me that you have never left your kids for a short time that could have resulted in an accident? Consider yourself lucky because it could happen to you in a split second and I hope that no one says things to you like what you are saying because like I already said, I have no doubts that the parents are already playing the scenario over and over again in their heads and saying "what if" :(

#26 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

Omg. Sending prayers for her.

#27 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

Accidents are just that accidents, something that happened that was never intended to happen! You said that this could have been avoided with supervision...are you telling me that you have never left your kids for a short time that could have resulted in an accident? Consider yourself lucky because it could happen to you in a split second and I hope that no one says things to you like what you are saying because like I already said, I have no doubts that the parents are already playing the scenario over and over again in their heads and saying "what if" :(

I did not realize I said anything terrible.
My only point was that sometimes young children are left in situations that they should not be and things happen.

So you are saying, that if someone left a 3, 6, and 9 year old by the pool side and one drowns, it is an accident?

And heaven forbid something like that happens to my chidren also. But i try not to put them in situations that could cause them harm when I could have avoided it.

Nuff Said.

#28 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:34 PM

As a busy mom with 3 kids, I can totally see how this could have happened. They are scrambling out the door to get their day started. Mom/dad gets in, starts the car, and sure enough somebody forgot something in the house. They scramble back in to grab the backpack, lunch, forgotten item and in a split second, an accident happens. It could have been anyone on this board in a similar situation. A crazy, hectic, before school morning. We all have these days.

My heart goes out to this family.

what she said
and

praying for family and little once

off track

when i was a kids about 8ish
me and my firend where playing in van
my mom was in side
she put the van in N
and it when forward
almost run over my brother
12 at the time
becuse the van was on little hill

#29 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

OMG what a thread.... tsk tsk LOL

prayers to the family and may this poor child heal quickly with no disabilities.

#30 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

How tragic :( I pray the little girl makes it.

#31 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

:( My stomach is in knots.. Prayers for everyone involved. I too have run into the house when I forgot something, car still running! The house isn't always empty when we leave, so I don't always need my house key to get in!!

Such a tragic accident! MOST accidents are preventable, but to focus on that point, IMO, is a bit heartless and insensitive! Accidents happen to all of us, it's just luck at times that gets us by without tragic ones.. :(

I once left my daughter in the living room at an aunts house.. she was alone for MAYBE 2 minutes and I was in the kitchen right around the corner. They have a window ledge that kids love to walk across and a huge picture window. Well they also have those roll up curtain things hanging there with plasting cords that you use to roll them up and down. That day my daughter hanged herself with one of them by accident. Luckily it broke, so she fell.. She has big red marks all around her neck and some breaks in the skin. I still feel so totally ill when I think of what could have been. I was literally in ear shot, and I didn't know anything until she fell and started to freak out crying..

I was never in my life so shaken. I feel that it was pure luck that things turned out the way they did.

#32 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

I did not realize I said anything terrible.
My only point was that sometimes young children are left in situations that they should not be and things happen.

So you are saying, that if someone left a 3, 6, and 9 year old by the pool side and one drowns, it is an accident?

And heaven forbid something like that happens to my chidren also. But i try not to put them in situations that could cause them harm when I could have avoided it.

Nuff Said.

I would think that making a statement about what they should have done and then ending it with UGH is more judgemental and not at all sympathetic to how these parents are feeling! I am pretty sure that if a child drowned it would still be an accident unless the parent pushed them in! An accident that didn't need to happen yes, but I wouldn't be focusing on that and would be putting my focus on the parents and the grief that they are dealing with!

:( My stomach is in knots.. Prayers for everyone involved. I too have run into the house when I forgot something, car still running! The house isn't always empty when we leave, so I don't always need my house key to get in!!

Such a tragic accident! MOST accidents are preventable, but to focus on that point, IMO, is a bit heartless and insensitive! Accidents happen to all of us, it's just luck at times that gets us by without tragic ones.. :(

I once left my daughter in the living room at an aunts house.. she was alone for MAYBE 2 minutes and I was in the kitchen right around the corner. They have a window ledge that kids love to walk across and a huge picture window. Well they also have those roll up curtain things hanging there with plasting cords that you use to roll them up and down. That day my daughter hanged herself with one of them by accident. Luckily it broke, so she fell.. She has big red marks all around her neck and some breaks in the skin. I still feel so totally ill when I think of what could have been. I was literally in ear shot, and I didn't know anything until she fell and started to freak out crying..

I was never in my life so shaken. I feel that it was pure luck that things turned out the way they did.

:goodpost

#33 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

It does say on The Windsor Star that the van was running.

This is very tragic, and I hope the girl pulls through.. I have a 6 year old, and I cant even begin to imagine if she was run over!

These types of threads always seem to end up finger pointing, yes it was preventable, but so are almost all accidents, but we dont point fingers when someone is in a fender bender.

Hopefully we can all learn from this tragedy and support this family by keeping them all in our thoughts, rather than judge the mother.. I can only hope that none of us on here will ever be in her shoes.

#34 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

I am not trying to be insensitive, I agree it is horrific. My point being that they did leave the car running according to the news. I understand all the what if's and things can happen to people. All I was saying was in my opinion (and this is my opinion) a 3,6,9 year old should not be left in a running car for any length of time. I am sorry that is my feeling. Same as they should not be left near a pool alone.

Jill's example was an accident, no one can watch their children 24/7 I get that. She did not put her child in a situation of danger. But to me, leaving them in the car running is putting them in a dangerous situation. It does not make it better or worse, it was just an opinion.

I personally do not let my children play in or around the cars. Personal choice.

Not right, not wrong if you do, personal choice.

But it is the same as leaving young children in the car while running in the store. Personal choice, I don't do it. I am prayign for the family and the little girl, it is heart wrenching, terrible for sure. I hope the little girl makes it and the family gets past it for sure.

My children have been hurt before.

Heck, I was moving a microwave when YDS was 2 or 3 maybe. It was an old heavy one, he snuck in between the doorway, I did not see him, the microwave cut his eyelid. It was bleeding badly. I felt horrible, but there was nothing I could have done to stop it.

Things happen, but things can also not happen if certain circumstances were never there.

#35 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

its sad what happened but this was a preventable accident. I see it all the time in my driveway. I don't know how many parents leave their cars running with their kids (older ones) in the car. What I don't understand is what was this child doing in the front seat, where were the parents. Why can't we blame the parents, why do we have to sympathetic all the time, its like on this board we can't point fingers, well why the heck not. A child was injured and its the parents fault for leaving the van on and not supervising. Accidents have happened at my house, and yes sometimes its because of poor supervision (well when they were younger) they are older now and require less supervising, but because of poor choices we did blame ourselves, we didn't need sympathy we needed a wake up call instead.