52 replies to this topic

#36 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

I am a perfect example of what being run over by your car does to you.this is simply a tragic accident,and yes...it was preventable,but whats done is done.I was run over by a car that was in park,so it is possible..now if it was running...yikes
Im hoping the fact she was driven is a good sign ;(
Im praying very hard for her

#37 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

its sad what happened but this was a preventable accident. I see it all the time in my driveway. I don't know how many parents leave their cars running with their kids (older ones) in the car. What I don't understand is what was this child doing in the front seat, where were the parents. Why can't we blame the parents, why do we have to sympathetic all the time, its like on this board we can't point fingers, well why the heck not. A child was injured and its the parents fault for leaving the van on and not supervising. Accidents have happened at my house, and yes sometimes its because of poor supervision (well when they were younger) they are older now and require less supervising, but because of poor choices we did blame ourselves, we didn't need sympathy we needed a wake up call instead.

You dont think she knows this already? She has a child in critical condition. For all we know she is a member, or maybe the next door neighbour or her sister is a member.
This woman has her wake up call, they dont need to come on this board and hear ( or read ) about the mistake she made, she is living it right now, what they need are prayers for this girl to recover.

#38 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

Crayons, said it very well also.

Moderator, delete the whole topic.

IT is no different than any other post, you get the good, the bad and the ugly.

Nothing was said here that they will not hear around their small town of Tilbury.

Any other topic will be the same if it is in the news.

We will not be the only ones who will talk about it.

It was on the news and in the paper.

THe parents at the school will also talk about it.

Can someone please delete the whole topic before it blows up. (as they always do)

#39 lissada

lissada

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:21 PM

Wowzers! Lets blame the parents!?!? Really that is the most horrible thing I have read on here in a long time :( Shame on you!!

Edited by lissada, 13 April 2011 - 07:21 PM.

#40 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

I think the OP must request to have it closed. You can't just request it because it's not going the way you want..

Mine was accident yes, but how many times have we heard of accidents involving curtains and strings, cords, etc? If I had been there, it wouldn't have happened. It may not be as clear cut, but it still stands as an example of something extreme happening in a blink of an eye.

#41 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

The topic wont be closed unless it becomes in violation of the guidelines.

#42 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

Too bad "open mouth wide and insert foot" isn't in the guidelines.

#43 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:50 PM

I think this is one of those topics that if you have that opinion, you keep it to yourself.

All that ends up happening is more hurt.

#44 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

I did not ask for it to be deleted because of my posts, only since it seemed to offend some.

You say blame the parents? Uhm, I did not say blame anyone. Like I said before, it was an avoidable incident. A very unfortunate one, but that is not going to change anything for the little girl. It may however, make others think about it when they go to get out of their vehicle and it is running.

It is the same thing on this site all the time.

#45 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

I did not ask for it to be deleted because of my posts, only since it seemed to offend some.

You say blame the parents? Uhm, I did not say blame anyone. Like I said before, it was an avoidable incident. A very unfortunate one, but that is not going to change anything for the little girl. It may however, make others think about it when they go to get out of their vehicle and it is running.

It is the same thing on this site all the time.

you may not have, but crayons did and you said she said it very well. (I disagree bu tthat goes without saying)

#46 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

Caryons post said it well about how things go on this site, I guess I should have clarified that part!!!!!

#47 turtle'smom

turtle'smom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

Thoughts and prayers for this family! What a horrific ACCIDENT!!!!!

#48 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

Almost everything in life is preventable. The problem is that the lines are fuzzy between what we chalk up to the inevitable risks that come along with living an imperfect life and the risks that are obviously too great to take with ourselves or with our children or with other people. There are risks that fall into that distinction of being too great for some people, but then also fall under a more ambiguous heading for other people. We don't all have the same value systems and we don't all have the same comfort levels with risk.

Leaving a young child in a vehicle on a hot day seems to be universally a bad decision and we can all get together and talk about how awful it is and none of us would ever do it. Putting a child into a lion exhibit at a zoo seems to be universally a bad decision that we could also all agree on.

Having a running vehicle in your driveway while you're making the mad scramble to get everyone and their belongings into the vehicle to dash to school in the morning is not so clear-cut. Some of us can say that we would NEVER do that and the situation is way out of our comfort zone, but many of us can't make the jump to that conclusion. For many of us the situation is one where we would probably think to ourselves that it will be a really quick run into the house for the lunch the child left on the counter. I know I've done it many times.

This week I had one of my children disappear for a couple hours. I had 3 other grown women in my home, along with me and my 3 children. We still didn't even realise that one of my children had been missing until about an hour after he had disappeared, and then I only noticed because dinner was ready and I couldn't find him. It took several people in vehicles, on bikes, in golf carts, on foot, 3 OPP vehicles and 3 police vehicles looking for him for over an hour before we found him. It was preventable. It had been preventable if I kept him locked in the house or only allowed him out of the house with me hovering over him.

There are too many areas that fall into the grey area and it really depends on each individual's comfort level. We can always look at a situation from the outside and judge what we would do. The problem is that doing so isn't fair many times.

#49 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:00 AM

Almost everything in life is preventable. The problem is that the lines are fuzzy between what we chalk up to the inevitable risks that come along with living an imperfect life and the risks that are obviously too great to take with ourselves or with our children or with other people. There are risks that fall into that distinction of being too great for some people, but then also fall under a more ambiguous heading for other people. We don't all have the same value systems and we don't all have the same comfort levels with risk.

Leaving a young child in a vehicle on a hot day seems to be universally a bad decision and we can all get together and talk about how awful it is and none of us would ever do it. Putting a child into a lion exhibit at a zoo seems to be universally a bad decision that we could also all agree on.

Having a running vehicle in your driveway while you're making the mad scramble to get everyone and their belongings into the vehicle to dash to school in the morning is not so clear-cut. Some of us can say that we would NEVER do that and the situation is way out of our comfort zone, but many of us can't make the jump to that conclusion. For many of us the situation is one where we would probably think to ourselves that it will be a really quick run into the house for the lunch the child left on the counter. I know I've done it many times.

This week I had one of my children disappear for a couple hours. I had 3 other grown women in my home, along with me and my 3 children. We still didn't even realise that one of my children had been missing until about an hour after he had disappeared, and then I only noticed because dinner was ready and I couldn't find him. It took several people in vehicles, on bikes, in golf carts, on foot, 3 OPP vehicles and 3 police vehicles looking for him for over an hour before we found him. It was preventable. It had been preventable if I kept him locked in the house or only allowed him out of the house with me hovering over him.

There are too many areas that fall into the grey area and it really depends on each individual's comfort level. We can always look at a situation from the outside and judge what we would do. The problem is that doing so isn't fair many times.

Well said. I'm so sorry you went thru that with your son. How scary :(

#50 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

Heart going out to the whole family, and hoping the little girl comes through.

Mysticmom, unless the OP was edited after you posted the first time I don't understand your answers from the first. It said right in the OP that it was the 9 year old boy who put it in reverse not the three year old girl. How do you really think that these type things couldn't happen to your boys, take all the precautions you want and still things will happen. A child can drown right in front of an attentive parent for example. For humanities sake just put yourself in the shoes of the parents of those kids.

#51 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

:goodpost

#52 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

Heart going out to the whole family, and hoping the little girl comes through.

Mysticmom, unless the OP was edited after you posted the first time I don't understand your answers from the first. It said right in the OP that it was the 9 year old boy who put it in reverse not the three year old girl. How do you really think that these type things couldn't happen to your boys, take all the precautions you want and still things will happen. A child can drown right in front of an attentive parent for example. For humanities sake just put yourself in the shoes of the parents of those kids.

Orignally on the windsor star it said the 3 year old did it. That is where my info came from. :-)

Edited by mysticmom, 14 April 2011 - 01:51 PM.

#53 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

wow i just posted to let people know about it not to get into a who is at fault match
at this moment it really doesnt matter who is at fault a child is fighting for her life

personally i have never left the car running when i had to go in the house for something i forgot and the reason is because all my keys are on one keychain so i have to shut the vehicle off if i want to go back in the house

there is no perfect parent and no parent can watch their child 24/7 accidents happen all the time and they are just that accidents
that whole family is suffering right now i cant even imagine how the brother is feeling right now