Photo

Has anyone taken anything in Health Sciences?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

My DD had originally chose nursing as her #1 post secondary choice, but because the program is overapplied, she had to choose a second path. Well her second path has now turned into her #1 choice and that is radiation techology.

The information on the internet is overwhelming, college or university? Undergraduate, graduate, diploma, certificate etc.
Radiation technician, techonogist, radiologist? etc. wow!

Should she take a pre-health science first (it's a one year program that helps you choose which direction in health carea to go to upon completion)

What is the pay like? What do those people make? LOL

AGGGG HELP!!!!!

#2 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:11 PM

I don't have experience in that health care field, but I did take pre health. Pre health is more for taking the classes you didn't take in high school to get into the program. First semester is pretty much computers, english, chemisty, biology and math. You apply to your field with the semester's marks. Some programs accept you on a conditional basis that you do just as well in second semester. Some accept you right off the bat.
Second semester is just those classes continued pretty much.

#3 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

I had actually considered Diagnostic sonography (hugely in demand now) and when I had my meeting with the guidance department they suggested Pre-Health Science to me not only because the course was oversubscribed, but also because many people dropped out when they realized that the course content was either too tough or not for them. I took it because I graduated a semester early and it was a great stepping stone. As for schools, Mohawk College has highly regarded program. Worth looking into. Furthering your education at any capacity is never a bad thing.

#4 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

I think it's a good choice! they pay I don't think is as good as nursing but the job doesn't suck as much either.

#5 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:15 PM

I had actually considered Diagnostic sonography (hugely in demand now) and when I had my meeting with the guidance department they suggested Pre-Health Science to me not only because the course was oversubscribed, but also because many people dropped out when they realized that the course content was either too tough or not for them. I took it because I graduated a semester early and it was a great stepping stone. As for schools, Mohawk College has highly regarded program. Worth looking into. Furthering your education at any capacity is never a bad thing.

So if she had all the pre-requisite courses upon graduation of high school w/above average marks, she could probably skip the pre-health? That would save us thousands!

Edited by Sam, 15 April 2011 - 02:16 PM.

#6 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

So if she had all the pre-requisite courses upon graduation of high school w/above average marks, she could probably skip the pre-health? That would save us thousands!

I would say no. Literally, that's what it's for. The coordinator of the program helps you all apply to what you want.

#7 kears

kears

was #36 joined in Mar. 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

I have just applied and been accepted into the nursing program (4 year bachelor of science degree...st. clair collaborative) easier to get into than the University simply due to the applicant pool.

I did sit down and speak with the head of nursing before hand to see if it made sense to go into pre-health and science and she was very clear....she said NO! If you have good grades in the pre-requisite sciences, then this looks better than a good grade in pre-health and science.

It sounds like your dd does have the grades to get in, but I believe she'll need a bachelor of science degree 1st, and then she can apply into the post-graduate program for radiation technologist.

#8 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

Sam posted April 15 @ 02:15 PM

vals, on 15 April 2011 - 01:24 PM, said:

Yes and no. Its not just a grade thing. They also look for students who took extra credits in Science, Math and English rather then just take the "Fun" electives. Pre-Health Sciences also prepares the student for the type of work load they can expect, including labs. Its grueling and a lot of student come in unprepared and end up failing courses and having to re-take them which is also costly and stays on your record.

You can potentially get into an over-subscribed program with above average grades, but I still suggest speaking with an admin rep and guidance councillor before hand to see which route would offer your dd the best opportunity for personal growth and success within the course.

#9 kears

kears

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

I would say no. Literally, that's what it's for. The coordinator of the program helps you all apply to what you want.

I don't want to argue, but I was told that this was untrue. If you have the pre-requesites and know what you want to do....pre-health and science is a complete waste of money. (this was straight from the head of the nursing department's mouth) She explained that it was not even considered as good as high marks in highschool science. She had no opinion about weather they would help you apply to different programs though!

I have spend about 4 years gathering information so that I could use my time wisely and get into nursing when the timing was right....but please look into it further in case things have changed.

#10 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Taking Pre-Health also does not guarantee she'll be accepted for the program even with phenomenal marks. I know someone who had a 97% in Pre-Health and was waitlisted for Med Lab. I agree that having all of the pre-requisite courses and great marks in high school looks better than not having them and taking Pre-Health to "catch up". It could end up being a big waste of time and money without the results she wants. They're realy pre-college courses.

#11 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

I don't want to argue, but I was told that this was untrue. If you have the pre-requesites and know what you want to do....pre-health and science is a complete waste of money. (this was straight from the head of the nursing department's mouth) She explained that it was not even considered as good as high marks in highschool science. She had no opinion about weather they would help you apply to different programs though!

I have spend about 4 years gathering information so that I could use my time wisely and get into nursing when the timing was right....but please look into it further in case things have changed.

OOPS! I meant yes*

If she has the marks, it would be a complete waste of time and money.

And I took it less than 2 years ago, and we had NO labs. It was literally taking what you need to get in the course.

#12 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

It sounds like your dd does have the grades to get in, but I believe she'll need a bachelor of science degree 1st, and then she can apply into the post-graduate program for radiation technologist.

What is a bachelor of science degree?
The one school (University of Ontario) has a 4 year bachelor of Science (Honours) in Health Physics and Radiation Science. Do you mean if she takes that, she would still be required for more schooling afterwords?

Laurentian University -its a 4 year Bachelor of Science/ Diploma (Radiation Therapy)

What kind of job can she get with just a B of S?

Edited by Sam, 15 April 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#13 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

What would be better, getting a Bachelor of Science at one of the 3 Universities in Ontario that offer it, or going to Fanshaw College and taking Medical Radiation Technology which is a 3 year program?

#14 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

I have just applied and been accepted into the nursing program (4 year bachelor of science degree...st. clair collaborative) easier to get into than the University simply due to the applicant pool.

I was told College was better for nursing anyway. What did the head of nursing tell you?

#15 Kelly

Kelly

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

I am actually a Medial Radiation Technologist if u have any questions feel free to contact me I am happy to help. I am not sure if she wants to take radation therapy technologist or medical radiation technologist because there is a big difference. As for the pay for a MRT it is similiar to a nurses pay. Feel free to contact me with any other questions :)

#16 DoubleD

DoubleD

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

The program at the college is exactly the same as the program at the U, for nursing (BScN). It's a collaborative program so we have to follow the U very closely in regards to the actual courses and grading and clinical work. In the end you get a University degree.

Did she apply for RN or RPN, because as they are both 'nursing' they are very different courses.

I don't know where you live but I know there has been much talk about getting the Radiology course here in Windsor now that the health building is almost done at the college. My mother in law ran radiology at three hospitals up near Belleville so if there's anything you need to know I can ask her about it. She just 'retired' last year.

#17 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

I don't know where you live but I know there has been much talk about getting the Radiology course here in Windsor now that the health building is almost done at the college. My mother in law ran radiology at three hospitals up near Belleville so if there's anything you need to know I can ask her about it. She just 'retired' last year.

Her guidance counciller did mention something about this. Do you know when the buildings will be done?
Was your mother-in-law a radiologist?

She hasn't applied for anything yet. She is trying to decide what courses to take for grade 12 so that she has all the pre-req's required to apply for what she wants. Apparently physics is something radiologists need, but nurses do not...so she needs 2 physic credits within 1 year. YIKES!

I am actually a Medial Radiation Technologist if u have any questions feel free to contact me I am happy to help. I am not sure if she wants to take radation therapy technologist or medical radiation technologist because there is a big difference. As for the pay for a MRT it is similiar to a nurses pay. Feel free to contact me with any other questions :)

thank you! PM'd you!

#18 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

Physics is fun! No really, it's not that bad. I'm assuming that she's generally good in math and science if this is the field she is considering. People who go into physics with fear don't do as well. It's really just equations and math. She'll do fine. It's always better to have them, then to not have them. She'll keep more doors open if she changes her mind at all. I have a BSc and definitely changed my mind a few times about my final career. Keep the doors open. I do think nursing is a good field.

#19 kears

kears

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:18 PM

What is a bachelor of science degree?
The one school (University of Ontario) has a 4 year bachelor of Science (Honours) in Health Physics and Radiation Science. Do you mean if she takes that, she would still be required for more schooling afterwords?

Laurentian University -its a 4 year Bachelor of Science/ Diploma (Radiation Therapy)

What kind of job can she get with just a B of S?

edited because I think I just answered my own question. I believe, not 100% though, that after University, you are a radiologist, but after college you are a technologist. Technologists work under the direction of a radiologist. Right??

I actually thought that radiology was a post-graduate diploma...so if it was, you'd simply need a 3 year B of S degree (could be taken at the U of Windsor) and then you apply to post-graduate studies...like Ultrasound technician, etc. Sorry, I didn't mean to jump in, I just know that there are aparently a lot of great post-graduate jobs to be had once you get a B of S.

As for taking my first 2 years of nusring at St. Clair, apparently this will be a HUGE benefit to me in the end. I've spoken with both the professors as well as nurses that run some of the clinicals and they explained that the college students get better clinical experience during their first two years. After that we are all combined for years 3 and 4, but most people have agreed that the students who started at St. Clair were better prepared for their practical exams.

As a mature student I didn't really stand a chance of getting into the U program. They give 25 mature student spaces and hundreds apply....this means it boils down to the top 25. Each year they tend to get more than 25 with completed degrees in various areas, I do not have a degree...just a two year ECE diploma. Even though my marks were all excellent....I couldn't compete with the degrees. The college doesn't really get the same group of people applying, so my marks got me in the 1st try! I am so excited!

Good luck to your dd! She really does need to take all of her sciences, biologies and chemistries...if she ends up considering nursing again...tell her to try St. Clair!

#20 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

Can a nurse choose what KIND of nurse she wants to be? Or is it a seniority thing?

#21 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

Good luck to your dd! She really does need to take all of her sciences, biologies and chemistries...if she ends up considering nursing again...tell her to try St. Clair!

Thank you! She has taken everything for nursing and is right on track. The only problem is that it is an oversubscribed program. Even the college one! I would rather her take the college coruse because its more practical and hands on. She is going to apply to the nursing still, but just not get her hopes up and also apply to the radiology programs as her alternates.

#22 kears

kears

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

Can a nurse choose what KIND of nurse she wants to be? Or is it a seniority thing?

For some departments like ICU, it requires more training. Choosing what department you want to work in is up to you as a nurse, but when you are a new graduate, you sort of take what you can get in the beginning.

I have family and friends who are nurses and ended up in say the surgical ward, then wanted to try ob, so they got a transfer and had to "shadow" other ob nurses for a while until they had the right skills to do it on their own. Some of the new training is just on the job while for certain positions you need more formal training.

I want to get my degree, then after 2 years of work...apply to the practitioner program. If I manage all of this, I think I'd like to run my own clinic. A nurse practitioner his like one step down from a GP. You can make simple diagnosises and write perscriptions (within your scope of practise)

#23 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:17 AM

Is it not too late to apply for post secondary (collage or university) for this September? I know the universities have sent out all the early entrance acceptances and will be start sending out the rest in May but the deadline for applying was like Feburary or so.

I am just wondering if she can now switch her applications to another program this late in the game. I hope she can, especially since she seems a strong student.

#24 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

Is it not too late to apply for post secondary (collage or university) for this September? I know the universities have sent out all the early entrance acceptances and will be start sending out the rest in May but the deadline for applying was like Feburary or so.

I am just wondering if she can now switch her applications to another program this late in the game. I hope she can, especially since she seems a strong student.

She's in grade 11, she's getting all her ducks in a row for grade 12. Applying for the courses she will need to apply to the university courses. She was all set for nursing, but the guidance dept wanted her to pick an alternative. That's what lead to the whole radiation path. Now she needs 2 physics!!!

#25 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

She's in grade 11, she's getting all her ducks in a row for grade 12. Applying for the courses she will need to apply to the university courses. She was all set for nursing, but the guidance dept wanted her to pick an alternative. That's what lead to the whole radiation path. Now she needs 2 physics!!!

perfect! great job to her for planning. I love planners! Sounds like she is very mature!

#26 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

perfect! great job to her for planning. I love planners! Sounds like she is very mature!

That was supposed to say alternate! I would love to give her all the credit, but I'm going to have to throw a thanks out to the guidance dept. They have been told for years to pick their courses wisely. When I was in grade 12, they had us go into the guidance dept and apply for college/university according to what we had taken. I like the pro-active approach.

She is "maturing" though, and I do hope it continues. :)

Edited by Sam, 16 April 2011 - 11:55 AM.

#27 DoubleD

DoubleD

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

Dana, once you are a nurse there's about a bazillion things you can do. While it is your choice like Jody said there's certain things like NICU etc where you would need to take an extra course. I'm not sure but I heard ER is the same. There's an extra course for it. Could all be rumors though.

#28 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:49 PM

You don't necessarily need the extra for either.. they will train you for what you need. One of my friend got right into ER, first nursing job, nothing special for training.

I always tell people to go the College route. It's the same program yes, but from the feedback I have gotten the attention you get and the experience you get is much better at the college. Although they did cut some clinical hours at the college which I think is RIDICULOUS. That's about the only thing of real value!! I learned so much more on the floor than anywhere else.