13 replies to this topic

#1 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

Do you find the TV is off these days more then its on? When i was younger i lived with the TV on but now a days its hardly ever on and when it is ots more of a noisey nussance then anything. My kids would rather be on the computer then watch TV. I wonder of thats better, hmmm

#2 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:56 AM

We usually have it on as background noise. D has no interest in it, but L will watch. Not ALL day, but somedays he watches more often than not. Depends on his mood.

#3 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:00 AM

We have it on for noise too. Grace only watches backyardigans or concert DVDs

#4 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:06 AM

tv is always on here. I like the background noise. seems to quiet and weird in the house when it is off

#5 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:22 AM

ya I used to ALWAYS have it on just for that background noise. now I can go all day sometimes without it being flipped on once. I just turned it on and Kyle just came up to me and asked if he could shut if off so he could listen to music on the computer LOL

#6 LoveMyKids2

LoveMyKids2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

Rare for tv to be on during the day. I keep my daughter busy doing crafts, playing outside or helping me bake etc. She would rather play dress up in her room then watch tv. When my son comes home from school it goes on, they get cartoons for about 1 1/2(3 shows)and then my husband takes over after supper,lol. I do however, ALWAYS have music on.

#7 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

Depends on who's home. I hate hearing it on all day - but if DH is home, it's on. I find all the noise stressful unless I'm watching a show, I'd prefer to have it off.

#8 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

It's off throughtout the week during the day. I love quiet. And it gets turned off during meal time too. But on the weekends it's usually on all day. Pending on what's going on that day.

#9 Drea

Drea

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

I have K-love or 1030AM radio streaming on my computer on the main floor most of the day for background noise, music and talk shows. Our only TV is downstairs, and is only on when one of my kids earn screen time (we have a system - 20 minutes outside, chores or homework = 20 minutes screen (TV, computer or Wii) but that goes by the wayside in the nice weather, then only movie nights). There are weeks in the summer that it doesn't go on much at all, with my kids enjoying all the enforced outside time I can give them. DH and I watch DVD TV series or Netflix if we are both home on the same night after all of the kidlets are in bed, maybe once or twice a week through the winter, but again, the summer is way to busy to watch much of anything.

#10 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

I have to really restrict how much it is on because both of my kids are couch potatoes, even the baby! If it's on they will be watching.

#11 DoubleD

DoubleD

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:49 AM

During the week the kids are at school, I am at school and dh is at work so the TV usually stays off until after dinner. But weekends I let them watch when they want but usually they just want to play outside or in their room. They are not huge into TV but enough that it entertains them when nothing else will. Sometimes during the summer I get so tired of the in and out, in and out that I beg them to just stay in and relax. I am not an outdoor person in the hot summer.

#12 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

My kids rarely watch tv during the day. If they have nothing else going on at night then they have tv/wii/computer time from 7-9pm. They don't always use it, especially during the summer when they are outside later, but setting a specific tv time cut down on the whining to watch tv throughout the day. Now they know that 7-9 is when they get to watch/play video games.

#13 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

I have K-love or 1030AM radio streaming on my computer on the main floor most of the day for background noise, music and talk shows.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks and the cool thing is sometimes i'll put one on for the kids to fall asleep to and they are able to follow it! Most adults say they cant listen to them they dont have the concentration but the kids seem to have no problem :) my oldest even has a favorite!

#14 TM3

TM3

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:52 PM

i find its to quiet when the kids are at school so its always on :) and when the kids get home i let them watch some TV but latley thay have been comming home and going outside and then end up with no TV at all by there own choise. we have no TV on during meals. and no TV till there ready for school in the AM but there never ready until its time to go lol so thay dont get any TV in the AM lol. but i need noise! lol