58 replies to this topic

#1 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:46 PM

I was happy and excited that they showed her breast feeding! I've only ever seen one other mom on the show breatfeed.

Edited by Jen.Uh.Fur, 19 April 2011 - 09:48 PM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:55 PM

I have seen quite a few, actually! Maybe not for the long run, but it seems quite a few have tried?

#3 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:01 PM

Lol @ tried. Hehe

I can't wait to watch it! I hope she sticks it out!

#4 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:28 PM

what a good one to start off with
i cryed like a babby

#5 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:42 PM

i won't be watching it until tomorrow sometime.

#6 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:32 AM

Ugh.... I can't watch it until it comes online sometime this morning... :(

#7 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:38 AM

Lol @ tried. Hehe

I can't wait to watch it! I hope she sticks it out!

Gah! I was frustrated that she couldn't stick it out.

Next week looks nuts! Can't wait for the drama!

#8 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:25 AM

Why are we laughing at tried?? Why is that funny? These are young girls. Nursing (from what I understand) can be trying for the most experienced mother.. I can see how they would let this one go easily. Having a newborn is difficult on an average aged mother, I can't imagine the pressure, the emotion and the difficulty of being 16 and having a newborn!!

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm excited! hehe

#9 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

Why are we laughing at tried?? Why is that funny? These are young girls. Nursing (from what I understand) can be trying for the most experienced mother.. I can see how they would let this one go easily. Having a newborn is difficult on an average aged mother, I can't imagine the pressure, the emotion and the difficulty of being 16 and having a newborn!!

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm excited! hehe

Why? Because I find some people's definition of "trying" laughable. That's all.

What time does mtv.ca post it at?? grr I wanna watch it!

Edited by DivineMrsM, 20 April 2011 - 09:48 AM.

#10 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

Did anyone see that one of the moms from 16&P is prego again? Markai? I'm watching their special right now...

#11 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

I think if you nursed even once, you tried it. I have NEVER put a baby to my breast, so even though my definition of trying may be "laughable" I am completely aware of what "not trying" looks like. For these girls I think nursing or not is pretty irrelevant in the scheme of things.. The situation is so precarious and ever changing that if they can keep it together, that's already a major achievement.

I have no idea when they put it up on mtv. Jersey Shore was always there the next day.

#12 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

Did anyone see that one of the moms from 16&P is prego again? Markai? I'm watching their special right now...

I thought she was the one who had the abortion?

#13 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

I thought she was the one who had the abortion?

Yes, she had an abortion. :(

#14 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hopefully now she might learn what birth control is??

#15 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

Hopefully now she might learn what birth control is??

You think she would have learned that after the first pregnancy.

#16 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

You'd think. But some people learn slow, apparently.

#17 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:26 PM

i watched it.
i think she did well with trying, being so young, probably not as educated in BF'ing & dealing with a baby with reflux must have been hard.
Next week looks crazy.

#18 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:54 PM

I felt so bad for her that her baby had such bad reflux. Girl couldn't catch a break!! She handled it super well though, and I was glad to see a bf that was actually GOOD!

Next week looks totally disturbing to me!!

#19 ang691

ang691

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

I know every girl and situation is diff. and I am not saying that this is right for everyone, but I would like to see more girls/couples consider adoption. Janelle perhaps?

#20 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

Janelle was far too week emotionally to get through something as traumatic, I'd say. She's all talk, but she's so very fragile, IMO.

#21 Lina

Lina

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

nothing but a wall of cells? really? im sorry but i feel no pitty for this couple. im pro choice but i really dont like this couple.

#22 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

Who said that? I am pro choice, but call a spade a spade.

#23 BeveeMommy

BeveeMommy

Mama Extraordinaire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

Seriously, who supports this shit? These shows are insane! Why are "we" glamourizing these dumb ass teenagers that screw up?! I DESPISE these shows, as it makes it seem ok to get knocked up at 14, 15, 16.. GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Babies are now a status symbol.. STUPID

#24 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

Seriously, who supports this shit? These shows are insane! Why are "we" glamourizing these dumb ass teenagers that screw up?! I DESPISE these shows, as it makes it seem ok to get knocked up at 14, 15, 16.. GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I couldnt agree more! HATE the sensationalism of reality TV that involves an innocent child. Bad enough there are shows with teens behaving with no respect for themselves.

#25 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

Have you watched the shows?? They don't sensationalize it.. they show how hard it is, how much the girls struggle, etc. If other girls somehow read "it's fun to have a baby" I have no idea how.

They show the reality of things.. they should how the girls are completely oblivious before the baby comes, than totally sideswiped by reality.

I used to think they were bad as well, until I gave them a chance. They are actually emotional, moving and frustrating all in one. I think if girls were to take it for face value, they would learn a lesson from these girls.

They are not all dumb either, not by a long shot. That post is spoken like a person who hasn't ever even tried to watch the show.

ETA: The only part I disagree with is them being paid to do the show. Otherwise, it's a real glimpse into how difficult and life changing teenage pregnancy really is.

Edited by ~Jill~, 22 April 2011 - 06:13 PM.

#26 ang691

ang691

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

I agree with Jill. At the end of every episode they show the clip of the girl talking about what it has been like so far as a teen mom. I have not heard one say "It's easy and I'd do it again". They often say they are happy, but wish they would have waited to have the same baby etc. But I guess everyone has their opinion and I respect that. I may not agree, but I respect it.

#27 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:34 PM

I think the show can be used as an eye opener for many teens. It shows how hard it really is to have a child young. I dont think these girls are "dumbass teenagers" They made a mistake, people do that. I guess I was a dumbass teenager too when my ds was born.

#28 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:50 PM

who supports shit like this?! I DO!
It definitely sounds like you've never watched it, maybe you should give it a chance and look beyond what you see in the current tabloids & see what these girls went through.
As the older sister of a teen who got pregnant at fourteen i think it helps, i don't think it glamorizes anything.
If you would have brought camera into my house for the first two years of my nephew's life you would have witnessed the same type of situation that most of these girls are in.

These "dumbass" teenagers could very easily be YOUR OWN CHILD.
Sure these girls get paid for doing the show, but i really don't believe it is the motivating factor in any of their decisions to do the show.

Also, isn't it our job as parents to be sure our kids are educated about the risks of sex, including pregnancy, so wouldn't that include explaining that it won't be as easy to be a teen parent as it appears in a 45 minute show on TV?

Edited by justsamma, 22 April 2011 - 11:51 PM.

#29 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:25 AM

I have watched this show. And episodes of teen mom. And above in this exact post people are talking about one of the girls whom gets pregnant AGAIN -- and commenting that she should have learned what birth control was....so do I think TV in part sensationalizes it, yes.

COULD it be used as a better education tool - absolutely. But MTV is not going to air a program that doesnt come with some drama, and some aspect of 'shock' factor which is why they get many viewers in the first place.
They will edit and keep the clips that a director feels make the best show. And I dont always think the message they send is the greatest.

Mistakes happen to everyone. I dont think that any of them are dumb, but they make a lot of bad choices.

#30 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:55 AM

The girl had an abortion the second time.. She didn't get pregnant again because it was sensationalized! She isn't the smartest girl, that's for sure, but she certainly didn't WANT another child, nor did she plan to have another child because it's cool or trendy to do so.

They do air drama, for sure, because it sells. BUT, that doesn't mean they sensationalize pregnancy.

#31 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:08 AM

The girl who had an abortion was late on getting her follow up Depo shot. She didn't realize that she could get pregnant so fast. She obviously lacks education in areas concerning birth control. In NO WAY did it sensationalize pregnancy or abortion. It showed how hard that decision was for her to make and how emotional it was. I felt she was an idiot for getting prego again, but I also think that she made a good decision to not have that 2nd baby.

#32 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:08 AM

Well we don't get mtv and I have a 16 year old. I guess since watching this show and it's "message" is not available in my home, I will have to resort to continuing to use my parenting skills to make sure she gets the message.

I highly doubt mtv had any other goal but to make a popular show. The people that watch it prove it is popular. I do not think it is helping, nor intended to help, the teenage pregnancy situation across the world. It is entertainment only for those that like that type of entertainment

#33 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

Dana- Was the girl actually on a show about this??

#34 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

Dana- Was the girl actually on a show about this??

Yep! I think it was just an online special though. Here's the link:

http://www.mtv.ca/tv...html?id=1655243

#35 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

I canNOT stand how James talks though. He irritates the crap out of me!