#1 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

well they are out and the door and in my mind pretty pushy
the man started asking me questions and i told him i would fill out the form and send it in
then he says its the law i have to answer i said no i dont have to answer your questions you are a stranger
sorry but these people are just hired off the street my name and personal information is none of their business

#2 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

pushy ppl. They are coming to the door or phoning? Whats the number so I can avoid it hahaha

#3 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

really the come to your door?! I have always just filled out the forms. No way am I telling some stranger st my doorstep my personal info

#4 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

yes they come to the door if you are not home they will leave the form
since i was home he tried to ask me the questions i refused to answer them

#5 owen's mom

owen's mom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

they have to pass a criminal check in order to do the job but should not be pushy and allow you to send the form in if you want!

#6 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

First of all, they are only going door to door in certain regions. And by asking you the questions they are doing their jobs!

I have passed all the screening for the census job, it required 2 interviews, a written test, criminal record check and reference check.

By law, households are required to provide the information..

http://census2011.gc...r01_006-eng.htm

really the come to your door?! I have always just filled out the forms. No way am I telling some stranger st my doorstep my personal info

by law its all confidential.
http://census2011.gc...r01_003-eng.htm

#7 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

Gawddamn kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

#8 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

That's it. I'm going to show up at Sherri's house disguised as a Sanka sales person, and we can start a betting pool on how long the door will remain open lol.

#9 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

someone i know is working the census,and yes..they literally had to jump through hoops to get the job

#10 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:22 PM

That's it. I'm going to show up at Sherri's house disguised as a Sanka sales person, and we can start a betting pool on how long the door will remain open lol.

hahaha it wouldnt be long

even if they do have stricter hiring policies they are still strangers who dont need to know my personal information

#11 Nicole2913

Nicole2913

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

I had a woman here yesterday from Census. She only asked me what our house number was and how many people live in the house. Then she gave me the package and left. She was very polite and not pushy at all.

#12 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

they say you can do it online and it is the most secure way to ensure personal information is secure. Apparently though, you need the special access code to enter the website.

I will be doing mine online, if I can figure out where I get my code.

I will not be telling strangers my personal information at my door no matter how many hoops they went through.

#13 Nicole2913

Nicole2913

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

they say you can do it online and it is the most secure way to ensure personal information is secure. Apparently though, you need the special access code to enter the website.

I will not be telling strangers my personal information at my door no matter how many hoops they went through.

The access code is on the form at the top in an orange box.

#14 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

but i dont have any forms yet. Are they coming door to door or by mail?

#15 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

Yes, it is law to answer the census.

I found out recently is it illegal to ignore any government survey. I got a call about a stats-can employment survey last year. After 3 months of answering the same dame questions, during dinner, once a month I tried to "withdraw" from the survey. I was served with papers stating either I answered or was arrested!

#16 Nicole2913

Nicole2913

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

but i dont have any forms yet. Are they coming door to door or by mail?

Mine were delivered by a door-to-door representative. The Census needs to be complete by the May 10thm, so I guess if you don't get any forms you won't have to complete it.

#17 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

Yes, it is law to answer the census.

I found out recently is it illegal to ignore any government survey. I got a call about a stats-can employment survey last year. After 3 months of answering the same dame questions, during dinner, once a month I tried to "withdraw" from the survey. I was served with papers stating either I answered or was arrested!

OMG we got 'selected' for the stupid a$$ employment survey also!! I ignored the calls ALWAYS haha, but my s/o was determined to do it so after he answered the questions he handed the phone to me (grrr) but he was only doing because he thought there was something in it for him HAHAHA yea... ooooookkkkkkkk!! I had no idea it was illegal and OMG to be served with papers, give me a break!!! Thats nuts!

#18 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

Teri my package just came in the mail, maybe yours will shortly too.

#19 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

I got mine in the mail today...I like how they automatically assume everyone has internet access...not.

I never not do them..I just usually put it aside and forget about it.

#20 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:01 PM

You still need the access code if you call to get them to send it to you.

I got mine and did it. The questions are easy and it took about 5 minutes to complete online.

#21 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

I got mine in the mail today...I like how they automatically assume everyone has internet access...not.

I'll bite, why do you think they are assuming everyone has the internet? They send you a postage paid envelope to mail back the paper form for if you choose to fill it out by hand or do not have net access.

#22 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

I'll bite, why do you think they are assuming everyone has the internet? They send you a postage paid envelope to mail back the paper form for if you choose to fill it out by hand or do not have net access.

Well because they send you just a code for the internet and it says to call if you want the paper version, but they probably save alot of paper/money that way.. most people have internet or access to internet.

#23 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

Got mine in the mail, filled it out, sent it on its way :)

#24 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:28 PM

I didn't answer the door when they came. Just let the dogs bark. But I did fill out the form, and mailed it back today.

#25 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

All i got was a paper with a code on it and a website...and then a phone number and address if I wanted to get the paper form to fill out.

plus if they want it done by the 10, they are cutting it really close...if I dont want to do it online, then I have to call them....wait for the paper form, fill it out and mail it back..all withing 7 days.....not much wiggle room.

I just hate how places assume everyone has internet...a lot of people dont, a lot of people have no clue how to use a computer let alone the internet...esp the older population.

#26 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

Its odd that my code would be on the paper form for convenience then. It was literally on the form you mail back if you choose to do it long form. Maybe yours didn't arrive in the mail, and was left by people who came door to door?

I know mine was delivered as I received it directly from the letter carriers hand.

#27 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

Mine was in the mail....they cant really come door to door b/c it is a private entrance like an apt building, you have to be buzzed in to access the front doors of the units and there is no mailboxes to drop it in.

Lets just see if I remember to do it and how invasive questions are.

#28 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

I didn't answer the door when they came. Just let the dogs bark. But I did fill out the form, and mailed it back today.

Oh so some of you got forms to fill out in the mail? mine just had a code, no questions.

#29 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:47 PM

This explains the differents forms etc.

#30 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

Thanks.. I wonder why they don't just do them all one way

#31 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

I just got mine in the mail. No form just has an access code. My mom got a package. However it doesn't even have my name on it. Just an address. So how can it be the law if my name is nowhere on the form! (says it's the law on the outside of the letter) I will check it out tmr at work when I have time lol

#32 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

Thanks.. I wonder why they don't just do them all one way

I believe they are trying to switch it all over to doing them electronically

#33 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

Personal information, invasive questions? LOL. They ask for your name and what language you speak! Woooaahhha I'm hoping no one gets that info!!!

#34 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:09 PM

Personal information, invasive questions? LOL. They ask for your name and what language you speak! Woooaahhha I'm hoping no one gets that info!!!

They were asking her what he last name was, and other personal information. I have no problem mailing that stuff in to the government, but I don't like sharing with some guy going door to door.

#35 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

I was fine with giving her my name and number :)