70 replies to this topic

#36 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

I just got mine in the mail. No form just has an access code. My mom got a package. However it doesn't even have my name on it. Just an address. So how can it be the law if my name is nowhere on the form! (says it's the law on the outside of the letter) I will check it out tmr at work when I have time lol

They are Statistics Canada lol. They only do cencus every so often, they know there is a chance people have relocated. So rather than try to keep lists of who-is-where-for-how-long-and-where-to-find-them-now it gets addressed to Occupant.

Yes I'm sure they could utilize lists from other Federal departments, but even their lists could be out of date for some residences for May 10th of this year.

This is the one time it isn't needed to raise a brow when they are phishing for info in the mail/online LOL. The only identifying info is name, DOB, and family size/citizenship/languages of use.

#37 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

Personal information, invasive questions? LOL. They ask for your name and what language you speak! Woooaahhha I'm hoping no one gets that info!!!

I did come across funny questions while submitting it online. I listed the three of us by age, and it asked me on relationship to my son if he was just my son, or is he my daughters son too.... yeah, we aren't that kind of family LOL.

The good news is that means the system is all set up for exact answers from same sex spouses lol.

#38 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

done my under 5min online

#39 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

I didn't understand why it needed to know whether the child is the child of both the adults living in the house, or just one?

#40 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

I got the package and my mom got the online only one. Both are done :)

#41 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

I didn't understand why it needed to know whether the child is the child of both the adults living in the house, or just one?

I would imagine it is incase the other biological parent tries to post the child as a resident in their home too, they can see it is the same child and stop a duplicate entry for one person.

#42 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

I would imagine it is incase the other biological parent tries to post the child as a resident in their home too, they can see it is the same child and stop a duplicate entry for one person.

It's for statistical purposes. I don't see the big deal. *shrug*

Now get those damn kids off my lawn!!! *shakes cane*

#43 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

LOL. I 'wasn't complaining :p. I was seriously wondering!

#44 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:51 PM

I want to be the old person that tosses household items at the neighbours children (so in otherwords anyone under 50). Why be limited to a cane? Lol

#45 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

did ours. it was quite simple.

#46 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:31 AM

no one came to my house just had it in my mailbox

#47 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:37 AM

Personal information, invasive questions? LOL. They ask for your name and what language you speak! Woooaahhha I'm hoping no one gets that info!!!

the guy at my door asked for my full name and birthdate and full names and birthdates of all people living in my home so ya thats personal information

#48 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:57 AM

the guy at my door asked for my full name and birthdate and full names and birthdates of all people living in my home so ya thats personal information

have you never done one befor??
that normal

#49 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

That is basic personal information that most people have access to anyway. To me, personal information is credit card information, social insurance number, DL number, average yearly Income, weight. Now THAT is personal information.

This information is being collected for stats. To make sure certain areas have enough social programs in place to satisfy its needs. Hospitals, doctors, community center's and the list could go on. This is put into place to help us and our communities.

#50 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

still nothing at our house. No mail, no form, no call, no door to door.

The census is very important information but it is only done every so many years. I routinely use 2006 census data in my work. It is so outdated though...so happy to hear we will be getting new data to use

#51 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

Just got ours in the mail yesterday.

#52 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

That is basic personal information that most people have access to anyway. To me, personal information is credit card information, social insurance number, DL number, average yearly Income, weight. Now THAT is personal information.

This information is being collected for stats. To make sure certain areas have enough social programs in place to satisfy its needs. Hospitals, doctors, community center's and the list could go on. This is put into place to help us and our communities.

i dont mind doing the survey but i do mind strangers at the door asking for my full name and birthday and i hardly think most people have access to that info
getting peoples birthday is one of the main things people use for identity theft so i am not about to give that to a stranger at the door

#53 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

i dont mind doing the survey but i do mind strangers at the door asking for my full name and birthday and i hardly think most people have access to that info
getting peoples birthday is one of the main things people use for identity theft so i am not about to give that to a stranger at the door

I would feel uncomfortable with someone asking it at my door as well. I only answered on paper.

#54 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

Ours came in the mail yesterday with a date on the form of May 3 and to be done as soon as possible in the next 10 days, so that would be til the 13th, but yes, not much time. Ours is to do online or call for paper questionnaire. I found the online thing a big strange, but many people do have access and do everything online now and yes, it would save them a lot of paper. Not a lot of time though if you needed to request the paper version and have it sent to you and sent back in 10 days. I thought maybe we got the internet version as I did taxes online this year?

#55 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

Not being snarky here, for once. What is the difference between giving that information to a government employee that is opening the mail in some office somewhere and a government employee that happens to knock on your door?

#56 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

Ours was mailed with the option to go online or call in for a form. I'll most likely go online tonight.

#57 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

Not being snarky here, for once. What is the difference between giving that information to a government employee that is opening the mail in some office somewhere and a government employee that happens to knock on your door?

for me the gov't employee opening it the desk has no visual referrences to me or my home. I am a number to them. A data input function. I also get to to respond (again I rather even do it online) on my own time.

In contrast, the ones coming to my home are knocking on my door, invading my personal space and time to order to get their work done. In addition to all of that they now have a referrence of me, my lifestyle, my family dynamics PLUS a knowledge of my income. It is the ick factor knowing this person lives in my community, who I may bump into at the local grocery store knowing all that information about ME. A random stranger behind a desk inputting thousands of forms does not have the same ick factor to me.

#58 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

I think I would have preferred if someone came to my door! I just finished the online census and was "randomly selected" to do the National Household Survey too. There were so many questions. I'm surprised they didn't ask me what colour underwear I am wearing! If you're worried about personal information this was a little big brother and TMI for me. The basic questions were fine.

#59 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

I think I would have preferred if someone came to my door! I just finished the online census and was "randomly selected" to do the National Household Survey too. There were so many questions. I'm surprised they didn't ask me what colour underwear I am wearing! If you're worried about personal information this was a little big brother and TMI for me. The basic questions were fine.

lol randomly selected...like the lottery!! whoot whoot!

as for underwear colour the person knocking at the door may have tried to sneak a peak to get the answer

#60 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

Yeah, Like I was "randomly selected" for the employment survey. Why can't I have those same chances in the lottery!?

Dean did ours on-line. He had to list us as common-law. there was no other description for us.

#61 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

for me the gov't employee opening it the desk has no visual referrences to me or my home. I am a number to them. A data input function.
In contrast, the ones coming to my home are knocking on my door, invading my personal space and time to order to get their work done. In addition to all of that they now have a referrence of me, my lifestyle, my family dynamics PLUS a knowledge of my income.

this exactly

#62 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

The door to door people are also seasonal hires. Once cencus is completed they no longer are employed with the goverment. The data entry people most likely stick around later, as there is different things they analyze the data for etc. There isn't much chance of them randomly remembering information as they process so much of it.

#63 one_vice

one_vice

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

I donít know, I guess Iím of the opinion that if someone goes through all the same hiring practices as the person doing data entry in an office, theyíre no more or less likely to be criminals out to steal my personal information. If a person wants to work for the government temporarily or permanently just to steal peopleís personal information for their own gain, I donít see one employee as more likely to do it than another employee simply because heís a temp or because heís tasked to go door to door. I think the only thing that might concern me is that people may pose as census takers to take advantage of people.

#64 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

The door to door people are also seasonal hires. Once cencus is completed they no longer are employed with the goverment. The data entry people most likely stick around later, as there is different things they analyze the data for etc. There isn't much chance of them randomly remembering information as they process so much of it.

Data entry people were hired for the Census its done in Quebec.

#65 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

ok I am going to admit when I was wrong. I just did mine online and it was very basic questions. I made a bigger deal of it because I thought it was more detailed and contained income type questions. My bad. I change my answer to willing to share the info at the door.

#66 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:13 PM

I don't get why they have to ask at the door since you have to fill the paper out anyways.

#67 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

ok I am going to admit when I was wrong. I just did mine online and it was very basic questions. I made a bigger deal of it because I thought it was more detailed and contained income type questions. My bad. I change my answer to willing to share the info at the door.

There were income questions on the National Household Survey (and employment, languages, religion, the works!). There was an option though just for them to use your income tax info which the already have anyway. I doubt any of the people who have them at their door will have these kinds of extra questions. Just the basic ones.

#68 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

All I got was a sheet with the access code. Did it online in 5 minutes - now THAT's the way to do a census! Minimal government investment and maximum efficiency.

For those of you who only got the code like me... did you submit your taxes electronically? Just curious as to how they figured who to send the actual forms to.

#69 Kittykat

Kittykat

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

All I got was a sheet with the access code. Did it online in 5 minutes - now THAT's the way to do a census! Minimal government investment and maximum efficiency.

For those of you who only got the code like me... did you submit your taxes electronically? Just curious as to how they figured who to send the actual forms to.

I submitted my taxes electronically and get direct deposit, so minimal papers from the gov't for me. They sent us the full form.

#70 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

yes I did