7 replies to this topic

#1 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

I have some amber beads I want to string a necklace together from. I'm wondering what would be the best to use for that: hemp, some kind of stretchy stuff, or something else? If anyone makes their own jewelry, amber or otherwise, could you lmk what you use for stringing please? Thanks :)

#2 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

Guess it depends on how you want to wear it and if you want to put a fastener on. I have used stretchy cord and a thread specifically made for beading. Guess it would depend on how big the beads were too. I love amber. Bet it will be gorgeous!

Edited by jag, 09 May 2011 - 08:14 PM.

#3 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

Guess it depends on how you want to wear it and if you want to put a fastener on. I have used stretchy cord and a thread specifically made for beading. Guess it would depend on how big the beads were too. I love amber. Bet it will be gorgeous!

I'm wondering what thread is used for the jewelry that is bought commercially. I used the beads to make up a necklace with thread and a clasp I had on hand, but I'm worried it won't hold up. It's a mix of light and dark beads and did turn out beautiful!

I'm also wondering how people making them make all those little knots in btwn. each bead. I tried a few times and failed miserably at getting the knots right tight up against the beads so I gave up, but I'd like to know the trick for doing it so that if the necklace ever breaks I won't lose all the beads.

#4 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:45 AM

my dd makes necklaces, but I'll see if I can find her book. I know she uses clasps and clear string.

#5 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:56 AM

Never tried to knot in between so no experience with that. Pretty sure Michaels has the beading thread in the beading aisle. I KNOW that Crafty Business carries it for sure as I bought it there not long ago!

#6 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

Never tried to knot in between so no experience with that. Pretty sure Michaels has the beading thread in the beading aisle. I KNOW that Crafty Business carries it for sure as I bought it there not long ago!

I'm going to check out Michael's tonight. I'll have to google Crafty Business to see where it is as I've never been there, thanks :)

#7 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

I ended up getting hemp string from Michael's. In case anyone is wondering how to do their own knots sometime down the road, I also figured out that if you start the knot and then slip the next bead on and quickly push it against the started knot, it makes a tight knot right after the previous bead. I hope I explained that okay, but basically after a bit of trial and error I got the hang of it pretty quickly. The grippiness of the hemp string helped too I think.

#8 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

Glad you found what you were looking for! Michaels is so much closer to you than Crafty Business would be since it is by me at Tecumseh Rd and Banwell! Glad you figured the knots out too!