52 replies to this topic

#1 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

As some of you might of seen on an old fb status, i am embarking on the quest of further education. My goal is to have unemployment pay for it with the second career training. I have to say, compared to 6 years ago when hubby went for retraining, the criteria for eligibilty is a lot harder now! I meet most of it, but just barely. ( Apparantly my 12 years in customer service is a huge downfall in this, as customer service is a very marketable skill, and they feel you can find any job with it) So the counseller lady told me to research my areas of interest. My dream career used to be nursing, and i'm still interested in it. But just within the last few months, i've taken a strong interest in law, criminal law in particular. They obviously won't cover a law degree, so i thought why not go the paralegal route and then work up to a lawyer. We look through stats and there are apparantly no jobs out there in the paralegal field. There are some in the nursing field, but the program is full :dunno So i either give up entirely, think of another career option, or try and persue paralegal or nursing, trying to overcome the barriers. A third resort i thought of was Community Support worker. They have that at Trios. :moon

#2 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

Jen...why not PSW?

#3 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

I don't know your previous background, but if you were to take pre-nursing, it would catch you up for all of your math and sciences. I would usually not recommend that, but if you've been many years out and might be rusty, it might be good. It doesn't, however, guarantee acceptance into nursing.

What about medical lab technician or technologist? If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

#4 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

I don't know,. Besides, isn't there more of a physical aspect to that then nursing? I just want a job i will get personal gratification from, not just income. Law was of interest because i am passionate for fighting for people's rights, as i've seen so many people falsly accused of crimes. As for people who are truely guilty, and have no remorse, then lol i don't know. I just like to debate, and research facts. Nursing, takes my nuturing side into respect. I myself personally have had many a great experiences with nurses in regards to all different kinds of medical issues. I want to give back what i got from them. Social work, i have a wonderful worker with CMHA, and i would love to return the same kind of care to other people. I just want something i am truely happy with. I did the " I hate my job but i'm doing it for money" job. I want something i wake up to every morning and i'm excited! Doesn't everyone?

As per previous background, i graduated from marketing 10 yrs ago, and have not set a foot into a school since, minus for my kids lol.

#5 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

I think med lab techs are the ones who actually draw blood at the labs and the technologists are the ones who test the samples in the labs.

I think finding a job that you really love is important. Maybe Community Service Worker or PSW would be really good for you. There's definitely more of a human aspect to those and not as much schooling as a lawyer.

#6 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

Jen I am currently in the CSW course at Trios, if you have any questions about it you can pm me here of FB

#7 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

I think med lab techs are the ones who actually draw blood at the labs and the technologists are the ones who test the samples in the labs.

I think finding a job that you really love is important. Maybe Community Service Worker or PSW would be really good for you. There's definitely more of a human aspect to those and not as much schooling as a lawyer.

Blah so true lol, but i really would love to be a lawyer lol.

#8 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

i think what you also want to do is find out where the jobs are right now. I know I am a PSW- after i had my odd (she will be 10) when i went to come back after my mat leave ( i worked home care before that) I could not find a job even with close to full time hours. in all honesty I don't know what jobs are out there now for Psw. I did love my job-
so do your research while you can - see what is out there and find something that you will LOVE!!

#9 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

from what I have heard around school psw's are getting hired quite a bit

#10 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

I know i know, i've had the psw idea drilled into my head a zillion times.

#11 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:14 AM

Just to clarify. Med lab technicians can do far more than just draw blood, although it is a key aspect of the job. I've just finished and am currently in my placement for Med Lab Technicians. Technicians can do all the prep, slides and routine testing. Technologists are responsible for the actually diagnosis. They have very indepth knowledge of cell biology and microorganisms and spend much time at the bench behind the microscope.

Med lab tech is a great program, but is oversubscribed. In order to get in at st.clair you need to apply by Feb 1.

If you are looking for a rewarding career, but are worried about heavy lifting, then Med Lab Technician is a good option. You get to be part of the healthcare team and altho we are very behind the scenes what we do in the lab is key to patient health!

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more :)

Good look finding a new career, it's both an exciting and terriying journey!

#12 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

you seem to be on the right track in your planning..

weighing all the pros and cons of each job
weighing all the long and short term pros and cons of getting to that job
weighting the long and short term benefits and costs of getting to that job
earning potential of the job vs the cost to get there = worth it or not?
dynamics of your family and the possible costs emotionally and financially of school
job prospects once schooling is complete
list all the obsticle of getting in the way of your success and have a real plan to manage those known risks

think of all those things. Start by setting a long term goals then break them down into smaller and smaller goals that have very real and measurable milestones to help you track your progress. It will help you map where you want to go and understand all the struggles and cost to getting there. Try to look past your current situation today and look to a few months, several months, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 years from now. You have to factor in the cost emotionally and financially of each type of education you want.

#13 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

Very good point, want to help lol. I need to have this ready in two weeks to submit my application for funding lol.

#14 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

I don't know your previous background, but if you were to take pre-nursing, it would catch you up for all of your math and sciences. I would usually not recommend that, but if you've been many years out and might be rusty, it might be good. It doesn't, however, guarantee acceptance into nursing.

What about medical lab technician or technologist? If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Why wouldn't you recommend pre-nursing? I took it before getting my Nursing degree, and it was the best decision I made. It's a great option especially if you are short a lot of credits to get into the program, because you can get it all done at once.

I know it doesn't "guarantee" acceptance, but I don't think I would have gotten in with just taking the classes I needed, to be 100% honest!!

#15 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:46 PM

Pre-nursing wouldn't do me a lot of good right now, considering EI only pays for 2 years, so pre nursing would take 1 yr, and then lol 1 yr left for nursing, not gonna work.

#16 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

Also, at this point in time there are not very many Nursing jobs.. I've been done my program for a year, and have had very few opportunities and NONE full time. I am much closer to a good hospital job now, and anticipate that I will be working in my field within a few months.

Having my dad in the hospital and being there everyday has helped bring my skills back up to date, which is good, because that is the concern when you are out of the program and have no job for that long!

Good luck Jenn. I know you have expressed interest in Nursing for a few years now, and that, to me, is a good indication that the healthcare field may be the right choice for you.

I think PSW would be a great option for you!

#17 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

Why wouldn't you recommend pre-nursing? I took it before getting my Nursing degree, and it was the best decision I made. It's a great option especially if you are short a lot of credits to get into the program, because you can get it all done at once.

I know it doesn't "guarantee" acceptance, but I don't think I would have gotten in with just taking the classes I needed, to be 100% honest!!

It's mostly when I hear about young kids taking it out of high school. It's pretty well high school courses that they could have taken for free! I said I recommend it in this case for that reason. It's a quick way to update all of the prerequisites. And a lot of the young kids think it does get them into nursing.

#18 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

I kind of feel like it does too! lol From experience I can say it does give you an advantage. I don't care what the "front" is..lol

Do you work for the school, or something? I also took my first two years at St Clair and I HIGHLY recommend that to anyone looking to take the program.

#19 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

I used to teach adult retraining and a lot of our students were being trained to go into St. Clair pre-(insert your course here) programs. So I spent some time looking over the courses and my background is in science, so more of a personal observation I guess.

#20 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

LOL, i'm still hell bent on the lawyer thing. I might just have to get the $20,000 student loan to make that dream happen!

#21 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

LOL, i'm still hell bent on the lawyer thing. I might just have to get the $20,000 student loan to make that dream happen!

I'm pretty sure it's going to cost a lot more than that unless you have a bunch of savings that you're putting towards it. I'd say it's at least $5000 per year for undergrad, plus $1000ish per semester for books. I have no clue how much law school costs, but you also have to pay just to apply (undergrad and law) and it will cost to write your LSAT's and if you do a prep course ...

I don't want to squash your dreams here, I just wanted to point out that $20,000 might be a little low (or maybe a lot). In the end though, you need to do what will make you happy. You don't want to live your life regretting it. Just keep in mind cost, future income, job prospects, etc. It makes no sense to study something, even if you love it, and end up with a bunch of debt and no job.

#22 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

I'm pretty sure it's going to cost a lot more than that unless you have a bunch of savings that you're putting towards it. I'd say it's at least $5000 per year for undergrad, plus $1000ish per semester for books. I have no clue how much law school costs, but you also have to pay just to apply (undergrad and law) and it will cost to write your LSAT's and if you do a prep course ...

I don't want to squash your dreams here, I just wanted to point out that $20,000 might be a little low (or maybe a lot). In the end though, you need to do what will make you happy. You don't want to live your life regretting it. Just keep in mind cost, future income, job prospects, etc. It makes no sense to study something, even if you love it, and end up with a bunch of debt and no job.

Yeah, i kind of figured that was a low low end figure. I just thought i would throw it out there for the heck of it. I just might buy a slew of lottery tickets and live off the earnings plus interest if i win

#23 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:39 PM

Yeah, i kind of figured that was a low low end figure. I just thought i would throw it out there for the heck of it. I just might buy a slew of lottery tickets and live off the earnings plus interest if i win

Now THAT is what I want to do what I grow up! lol

#24 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

Jenn, I really think PSW would be a good option for you!! I don't know if that got lost in the shuffle!

#25 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

Yes i seen your response Jill lol

#26 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:12 PM

Nursing is just as physical as PSW. I hurt myself nursing not being a psw.

#27 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

What is stopping you from pursuing law? I would go for it, if you can!!!

#28 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

Law is a huge and very expensive undertaking. It's cut throat too. Just throwing those things out there. These things shouldn't deter you, if it's what you REALLY want. I would just really explore yourself before you decide!

I didn't read all the responses, and now I know you have heard the PSW thing a million times, sorry I said it again. It's just a lot of caring and nurturing, but A LOT less schooling and it could be totally paid for you, where as a Nursing degree will cost you well over 30,000 with text books and supplies, uniform etc. I'd say over 35,000. I have the bills to prove it! lol Law would exceed that by a good chunk too, I think.

I didn't read anything that you were concerned about hurting yourself? I also didn't read anything about Nursing being less physical than PSW or vice versa? I don't know where that comment is coming from! lol They are both very physically demanding, as well as emotionally and mentally. (if you are good at your job, that is)

#29 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

I really am passionate about the law field, for personal reasons, but obviously if it isn't feasible financially, there isn't much i can do. As per my comment about PSW, that was a duh moment. I forgot they now have lifts and what not't to carry patients. I was under the impression PSW's did more of the physical aspect, like i said, forgetting the machines and yes nurses do to. I have a little over a week to decide, i need to research research, research. The govt will only pay for my education once, if they even approve me, so i better make sure its worth it!!

#30 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:06 AM

I was a nurse and worked very closely with psw's. doesn't matter that there are mechanicle lifts, you still lift, it is a physical job. why not take office administration-law. You get your foot in the door or work as a support counclor.
I think what you have to look at is, is this schooling going to take you away from your children, how about when you get that job are you going to be gone long hours, are you going to have some there to watch your kids. Also, how about your children education, are you going to help them with their education or are you going to be drowning in your own education debt.
also start talking to people that work in the field, I remember when I finished nursing they told everyone that so many people had jobs blah blah blah, but that wasn't true. Full time jobs where scarce, you had to move away if you wanted full time, the pay range was all over the board, it wasn't exactly cracked up what I thought it was going to be.

#31 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:30 AM

I was a nurse and worked very closely with psw's. doesn't matter that there are mechanicle lifts, you still lift, it is a physical job. why not take office administration-law.

I think this would be a great thing to definatly look into

#32 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

Jenn, the lawyer I am working for put himself thru law school in his late 40s while raising 3 kids and working as a farmer. If you want something bad enough, you can make it happen. Don't let anyone tell you you CAN'T do it.

#33 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

Jenn, the lawyer I am working for put himself thru law school in his late 40s while raising 3 kids and working as a farmer. If you want something bad enough, you can make it happen. Don't let anyone tell you you CAN'T do it.

Thanks Dana! That really means alot! And thank you to everyone else. My feelings on the whole job/family thing, its the same as relationships, you want your child to see you in a healthy relationship, so they can know what they want for themselves. I don't want to be in an abusive relationship ( i'm not but just as an example) and my girls think, this is how life is, men are the dominant species, i'm to do nothing but obide by they're every command. Same applies to work, i want them to see mommy in a career she feels fufilled in. That gives them the opportunity to dream big for themselves and want that same kind of satisfaction for themselves when they get older.

#34 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

I know what you mean with wanting to show your kids the right example. One of my big motivations was always to show them that no matter what you are faced with, it's not a reason to be complacent, and there is no reason in this world not to follow your dreams. Yes you may be away from your kids more than you'd like, but ultimately they will benefit from not only the lesson you teach, but the life you could provide them, as well. The security, etc.

The pay rate for RNs in the hospital is regulated. You cannot make less than the minimum, which is pretty good for an entry level position. If you want to work in a private office, or somewhere that isn't unionized, than they can decide what they pay you. Entry level in hospital is just under 30$ but with shift premiums, cost of living, etc, it's over that.

There aren't a lot of jobs here, that's a reality. I am so close, lol but it's not uncommon for a new grad to wait 6 months to a year or more for a position they want. Luckily I am in a well paying job at the moment, so I don't have to settle for a job I don't want just because it's Nursing.

I never thought Nursing was going to be easy, or glamorous, I just knew it was right for me. The last 3 weeks have done a lot to prove to me I was right. It definitely takes a specific type of person to thrive in that type of environment, and it's not for everyone!

Good luck choosing. I hate that you are so rushed, I wouldn't want you to have to jump into something you aren't sure of!!

#35 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

I know, well i could wait if i wanted to wait another year for schooling. But with my ei running out in April 2012, i need to be on it still i think in order for them to continue my cost of living support payments.