11 replies to this topic

#1 TRACY

TRACY

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,410 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:41 AM

Is there anything I can give that will help with sea sickness but will not cause drowsiness?

We are heading over to Pelee Island next weekend with the Sparks and Browines. While we don't want them sick we also don't want them drowsy.... Which is our concern with gravol.

Any tried and true recommendations?

TIA

#2 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:47 AM

my mil swears by those wristbands

I know the dollar store sells em. The work on pressure points on your wrist to control motion sickness. The dollarstore ones are small though. Shoppers has the real sea sickness bands more in adult sizes but they are also more expensive

#3 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

You can try the natural Ginger Gravol, but I heard it tastes really awful. Perhaps some sweetened ginger iced tea might go down better.

Do they generally get motion sickness? I know from personal experience that mild sea sickness can be cured by mind-over-matter. I used to get car sick and sea sick. Since we got a boat, I've had to make a conscious effort to fight feeling ill, and it works every time. Early on in our boating days, we were in VERY rough waters and I managed to avoid sickness. I tell you this story because you can 'trick' the girls' mind by giving them a placebo. Either just ginerale, or a sugar pill or vitamin or some sort will do the trick. It shouldn't me too rough of a ride and its not a super small boat or anything.

#4 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:56 AM

Some of the health food stores may sell 'ginger pops'. Ginger is a natural anti-nausea (you can buy an herbal 'ginger' version of gravol) -- but maybe that may help some of them??

I am horrible on boats. I would suggest any of the kids who know they get car sick easy etc take something before you leave! By the time you are on your way, it wont have much time to take effect.

#5 Rebekah

Rebekah

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

The ginger lollypops are ok, but full-blown car sick needs gravol.
My ds got carsick since he was very young, he cannot take being in a third row van seat, and on extended road trips, he's gotta have the gravol. Once the vomiting starts, it's pretty hard to get things back under control.

#6 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

have them eat an apple. it is what sailors used to do back in the day

#7 TRACY

TRACY

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,410 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

Once the vomiting starts, it's pretty hard to get things back under control.

This is my concern...

I'm thinking we should be fine but just in case I figure we should have a back up plan...

#8 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

have them eat an apple. it is what sailors used to do back in the day

Yes. Make sure no one has an empty stomach. That's a sure way to get sick.

#9 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

I third the Ginger Gravol - I didn't find it had a weird taste and it works really well.

#10 Rebekah

Rebekah

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

Once the vomiting starts, it's pretty hard to get things back under control.

This is my concern...

I'm thinking we should be fine but just in case I figure we should have a back up plan...

If they can take a non-drowsy antihistamine that may also help in the event the kid has a predisposition. Antihistamine does curb vomiting. I've never used it personally but it might be worth a shot to see what there is in that category for your particular age ranges.

#11 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

The non-drowsy gravol is not that bad and it works. Its better to take something that might not taste super fantastic to prevent them from feeling sick in the long run IMO. Motion sickness is flat out not fun and can ruin the whole day for some people!!!! Also maybe make sure everyone eats a light snack(not a big meal), something non greasy, non sugary and bland and stays hydrated with water. Sugar and grease are two sure fire ways to get even sicker once it starts! The wrist bands do work, but not for everyone. Last time I was on a cruise we hit some pretty rough water and everyone was ill. Those bracelets only helped about half. The rest of the people where popping dramamine like pez...lol Another trick you can try is sitting towards the front of the boat (not enclosed) and watching the horizon.

#12 zerodog

zerodog

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

Some of the health food stores may sell 'ginger pops'. Ginger is a natural anti-nausea (you can buy an herbal 'ginger' version of gravol) -- but maybe that may help some of them??

I am horrible on boats. I would suggest any of the kids who know they get car sick easy etc take something before you leave! By the time you are on your way, it wont have much time to take effect.

I agree. Have the kids' parents supply them with something beforehand.
I barf as soon as I step on a boat. It is exacerbated by the gas fumes from the motor too.