12 replies to this topic

#1 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

Is there anyone out there thinking about staring up a new career as a student in Sept? What are you thinking about taking? What made you decide that this was something you wanted to do?

#2 kears

kears

was #36 joined in Mar. 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

yes, I am starting the 4 year BScN Nursing degree. It's collaborative and I'm going to start it at St. Clair. (you can start either at the college or the U, but either way the 3rd and 4th year will be at the U...where I will graduate (hopefully) in 2015!

Excited and a little scared!

#3 DoubleD

DoubleD

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:42 AM

Jody, you can go back to the college for the last semester. :)And if you need ANYTHING, let me know!

#4 momov2

momov2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

Jody, I just wanted to say congratulations!! I know 4 years seems like it's daunting but last September I started the 4 yr BSW program at the university and I'm in my 2nd year now. Just a heads up, there are a few courses you can take at the U in the summer to get a bit ahead. I know this because I'm in a stats course with someone from the college who is in the same program as you. Good Luck!!!

#5 DoubleD

DoubleD

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

There are courses BUT you have to get a Uni student card, the courses are expensive and it doesn't come off your tuition. Plus from everything I have heard, the summer courses are a lot harder than the ones at the college.

#6 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Trust me, it flies by! Now if only I could get a job, that would be awesome!! I'm pretty irriated because they are hiring BRAND new grads when there are some of us that have been done a year and are still not working in the field. I'm close, but you need to know someone it seems. My advice would be to do a lot of placements at both hospitals.. don't stick to one. I think that screwed me a lot because HDGH is hiring a lot more than Met, but I think they are a bit gun shy because I did spend much time there.. only 1 placement.

If you can do a rotation on 8 at HDGH DO IT! That floor rocks.

I hope it's better for you ladies when you are done!!

Oh, I did Stats in the summer session.. it helped but it SUCKED! I hated every single minute of it. It did ease the load a bit for second year, which is pretty much the hardest year, in a sense.

#7 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hoping to start in September, either Law Clerk or Paralegal.

#8 kears

kears

was #36 joined in Mar. 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

Trust me, it flies by! Now if only I could get a job, that would be awesome!! I'm pretty irriated because they are hiring BRAND new grads when there are some of us that have been done a year and are still not working in the field. I'm close, but you need to know someone it seems. My advice would be to do a lot of placements at both hospitals.. don't stick to one. I think that screwed me a lot because HDGH is hiring a lot more than Met, but I think they are a bit gun shy because I did spend much time there.. only 1 placement.

If you can do a rotation on 8 at HDGH DO IT! That floor rocks.

I hope it's better for you ladies when you are done!!

Oh, I did Stats in the summer session.. it helped but it SUCKED! I hated every single minute of it. It did ease the load a bit for second year, which is pretty much the hardest year, in a sense.

Ya, I have considered the stats, but decided to wait and see. I have just finished the psych 115 (got an A+...yay), so I know I won't be repeating that one! I like having a lighter course load, but hate the idea of paying for a class twice! But...I have a Uni card, so I still might take it to get it out of the way since I've heard nothing but terrible things about it. I'm not shocked at what Denelle is saying though...I'd much rather take a difficult course at the College..(the teachers there seem to want to teach, where at the U, they just lecture and you take from it what you will)...this has just been my experience though!

#9 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

I agree.. everything is better at the College, IMO. The learning experience is really a lot more hands on, and the teachers are right there with you. It's harder there, I think, but it's so worth it in the end!!

The U just teaches AT you and you sink or swim on your own. There are profs who will help you, if you seek it out, but there are so many students when you get to that point, that there is very little personal connection with anyone.

I also had the option to go back for the 4th year second semester, and before I went to the U I swore up and down I would, but I changed my mind when the time came. It's just too much flip flopping back and forth. You get into the routine and it's more trouble than it's worth to switch back! Especially since there is so little in class time in 4th year, especially second semester.

My advice would also be to take your electives when you can, that lightens the load as well, for when that times comes.

#10 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

yes, I am starting the 4 year BScN Nursing degree. It's collaborative and I'm going to start it at St. Clair. (you can start either at the college or the U, but either way the 3rd and 4th year will be at the U...where I will graduate (hopefully) in 2015!

Excited and a little scared!

Way to go!!! You'll do GREAT!!!!

#11 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

Jill... have you applied in Chattam? they just called DH for part time. you might want to give them a shout if you haven't already. I dont' know if it's critical care they were calling about or not but it might be worth a shot.

#12 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

I have tried in the past to apply to Chatham, I'll have to try again!

#13 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

I have tried in the past to apply to Chatham, I'll have to try again!

ya definatly! he just got a call last week