29 replies to this topic

#1 TRACY

TRACY

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,410 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

Admin has made the decision to opened the site up to guests. You will notice when you go to the log in page that you can now see the forums, that is because you are viewing the site as a guest. A guest will not be able to post nor will they see/read all forums. Some forums they will see but will not be able to access while others they may be able to read but will not be able to post. You will have to log into your account to read/post in the forums that you normally have access to.

Thanks,
Admin

#2 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

Thanks. I thought maybe, just maybe I was cracking up

#3 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

what forums can be seen by guests???

Not crazy about the idea.... jmho

#4 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

what forums can be seen by guests???

Not crazy about the idea.... jmho

This is what I was wondering

#5 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:53 PM

ugh, I think I may go back and yank all the posts about my ex - don't want/need more drama than what's already there.

#6 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

What Tracy means is that you can see the names of the forums..
If you all log out, and then go to mom2mom.ca, you will see the forums, but if you try to access most of them, you will get an error message which will prompt you to either log in or sign up.

Chitter Chatter, you can access the forum and read the post, you just cant reply to them without signing in.

This was done in order to allow search engines to find the site in hopes of getting more members. Security wise, nothing is different.

For anyone who is worried about things they have posted, remember its the www, and nothing stop anyone from already registering and reading posts you ahve already made, so just always be cautious as to what you do post regardless of if the site is opened or closed.

I tested a few forums like pregnancy , new parents, toddlers and it wont allow you to access them without being a member, it just shows anyone that comes to the sites that these forums actually exist.

Many other forums are set up this way, the change shouldnt affect anyone in a negative way.

#7 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

so long as they can only read chitter chatter I am fine with it. The way it was posted it seemed anyone could read without becoming a member. I never post soemthing I am worried about. Having said that I want people to ahve to join to read the other forums not that many will bother to join unless they either are interested or need help or soemthing. I am cool with it if they can't freely read all the forums. Thanks for the clarification

#8 Kristi

Kristi

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the info!!!

#9 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

At least when they join you have email address and such to track them.

#10 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

At least when they join you have email address and such to track them.

Not really. Email addresses can be decoy accounts. They have more to find out from an IP address and even that is limited in what you can find out without access to the ISP's. Not to mention if one uses an IP blocker.

#11 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:53 AM

I don't see what the big deal is? It's not like non users can post. Sure I don't like the idea that just anyone can view chitter chatter and also the shoutbox but then again, don't post personal info..

#12 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

But anyone can just make an account and use a fake email anyways, so it really isnt any different, the only change is that with the site locked down it was harder for people to find it, this way it allows search engines such as google to find the site which is what our hopes are, and that we will attract new members.

#13 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:48 AM

Cool, that is what the site is for, the more the merrier.

#14 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:13 AM

But anyone can just make an account and use a fake email anyways, so it really isnt any different, the only change is that with the site locked down it was harder for people to find it, this way it allows search engines such as google to find the site which is what our hopes are, and that we will attract new members.

Yep! The best way to ensure that you are "safe" online is to ALWAYS be aware of the information you are posting. For the number of members who actually post on the forum, there are many more who don't. There is no way to know who is lurking around. If there's information you don't want people to know/see, bottom line, don't post it.

#15 TRACY

TRACY

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,410 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

Anyone who wants to test what a guest can see and do can log out and play with the forums. You will then see that all forum names are seen but not all forums are accessible. And even the few that are open for guests to read are minimal. I tried to make sure that any forum that a guest is able to read would not be a forum that would have personal info in it. For example a guest can view Chitter Chatter but they can not view the photo forum.

The whole idea is that when someone searches the WWW they will be able to find M2M, they would be able to view the site and see what it has to offer and hopefully join us.

I hope this clears up any confusion :)

#16 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

I just noticed that sahm, working moms health and wellness etc are open. I htought it was only supposed to be chitter chatter

#17 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

Chitter Chatter was an example of a forum that can be viewed, no one said it was the only forum that can be viewed. I did list a few that cant.
but again, its not really that big of a deal, it is just meant to make the entire site more accessable to hopefully get new members.

#18 TRACY

TRACY

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,410 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

I just noticed that sahm, working moms health and wellness etc are open. I htought it was only supposed to be chitter chatter

No one said it was only chitter chatter, it was used as an example...

Guests can see all forum names

Guests can read these forums:
Guidelines & Rules
Welcome & Introductions!
Chitter Chatter
Community Resources
Community Event Calendar ( under this section they can see all the months listed)
Windsor Essex Classifieds
Mom2Mom Sale & The Family Expo
Mom2Mom Sponsors & Member Discounts
Stay At Home Moms
Working Moms
Adult Education and Retraining
Entertainment, Travel, & Sports

Guests can not post anywhere on the forum.

If you feel for some reason that one of these forums should not be viewed please pm me and we can discuss it :)

Edited by TRACY, 10 June 2011 - 07:25 AM.
To edit the list of forums that can be read by a guest

#19 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:07 PM

well I'm just thinking sahm, working moms and health and wellness are some pretty private topics no? The rest I get, it does draw people in but if somebodys posting about a rash on their butt in health and wellness, I'm guessing they don't want the whole world to read about it lol I'm just thinking forums where more personal type stuff is going to be posted kwim?

#20 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

to play devils advocate here..

All these people need to do is register and they are going to read about your butt rash anyways.
Also, that is where the anon feature kicks in, people can post personal things without making themselves public.

I have no issues with anyone messaging Tracy to discuss which forums should/shouldnt be viewable.. We are always open to discussion.

#21 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:43 PM

to play devils advocate here..

All these people need to do is register and they are going to read about your butt rush anyways.
Also, that is where the anon feature kicks in, people can post personal things without making themselves public.

i agree
and seriously if you dont want the public to know about your butt rash then dont post about it
this is the internet where anyone can see your info

#22 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

Reminder- this is a public, local forum. Anything you say, anywhere on the site is in no way, shape or form "safe". Use the forum at your own discretion. If you are posting too much information, a change in how the forum is viewed by guests is not the issue, the information you post is. "Private" means that someone has to get a screen name and give an email address. Anyone can do that, safe persons and online predators alike.

#23 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

Well, to play devils advocate as well, I gewt trying to attract new members but I also get pleasing your CURRENT members some of which have been here since the start.

If they are saying those forums should be private, and I for one think they should, then I think they should be.

Yews anyone can register but that means an extra step for them noi matter how they do it and I think they should have to on the forums mama2gracie mentioned

#24 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:16 PM

Meh, it's silly to be worried about it. Like previously stated, you choose to put your shit out there in any capacity, you make yourself vulnerable and you give up your right to privacy. Trust me, I learned that the hard way! lol Even in a "protected" forum, your stuff can be found. No amount of passwords will stop someone if they really want to get access to something.

#25 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

If you don't want the whole world to read about the rash on your butt, than don't post it on the internet! lol

Just sayin'

#26 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

Personally I never post anything personal on this site but there are so many who do no matter how many times you tell them not to..... So I look out for those......

#27 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

The only way to protect people who post WAY too much information would be to make this a private, locked out, paid forum and even then there's no guarantee of safety. m2m can't be held "liable" in the minds of the current membership for the information that people post about their own lives and situations. Every member needs to consider what they are sharing and how that information being "out there" will affect them in the moment it's posted/next week/next month/next year. Your information is just that- yours. To do with it what you will. But you must also realize that if you choose to share it online, you have just made it no longer personal. If certain things being shared with unknown people makes you uncomfortable, you are in no way obligated to share it here. Or you can make use of the anon option. The social networking responsibility falls solely on you and what you are willing/not willing to share. We are all adults and need to own our decisions accordingly.

#28 TRACY

TRACY

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,410 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:25 AM

Well, to play devils advocate as well, I gewt trying to attract new members but I also get pleasing your CURRENT members some of which have been here since the start.

If they are saying those forums should be private, and I for one think they should, then I think they should be.

Yews anyone can register but that means an extra step for them noi matter how they do it and I think they should have to on the forums mama2gracie mentioned

We have no issues 'pleasing' the current members but not one member has pm'd me/us to voice any concerns about opening the site and the forums that were opened. If a member feels that strongly that a certain forum should not be opened for any reason then they need to go through the proper channels and send us a pm like we requested.

I did close the health and fitness forum....

#29 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:15 PM

We have no issues 'pleasing' the current members but not one member has pm'd me/us to voice any concerns about opening the site and the forums that were opened. If a member feels that strongly that a certain forum should not be opened for any reason then they need to go through the proper channels and send us a pm like we requested.

I did close the health and fitness forum....

seriously I posted from my blackberry & did not notice the small one line request. ASide from that I honestly think that if admin does not like members publicly discussing things like this after the fact then maybe ask the membership how they feel about some decision s before you make them final. Further to that as I already stated.... "I" do not post anything on here I fear anyone reading but we do have many members who do & though you can't be "liable" I still think it is respectful and proper to think of the entire membership which is what I was trying to do in looking out for others.

I personally don't liek the idea of opening up to the www becuase it means we won't really be a local site anymore. Having said that I get wanting more diversity so it is a fine line but I hate it becuase I like the fact that 99% of us are local or at least were at one time. This site has always been advertised as a local parenting site & it won't be once it is opened to the www. jmho

#30 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

To play devils advocate again--just because one member does voice her opinion doesn't mean it should happen either. I personally could care less either way. If this is what it will take to get the word out even more then great. Don't like it don't post.