68 replies to this topic

#36 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:01 AM

Just a couple things I want to comment on in the article...

Talks between Canada Post and its employees are stalled over the pension shortfall, introducing a new twotiered wage system for new hires who would make $6 to $8 less than existing employees doing the same job and the elimination of a defined pension benefit for new hires, said John Vigneux, president of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers Local 630 representing about 550 local workers.

"If I'm working next to you and you are making $6 more per hour than me, there is something off there," Vigneux said.

yeah... it's called the guy beside you has seniority!! I fully agree with this "two-tiered" system (which even surprises me).... in tough economic times, employees have to be willing to do what they can to help their company back to a stable position - it's not the time to be going after them to bleed them dry! One other article I read (Huffington Post maybe?) mentioned that the starting wage is approx $24/hr and the union wanted 3.3% this year and 2.75% in year 2 and 3 - really?! IMO that's too much - especially when other sectors are agreeing to wage freezes for the next couple years....

somewhere else I thought I had read that they are moving from a defined pension (where you know how much you have at the end) and replacing it with a defined contribution system (where what you have at the end depends on what's contributed over time). I'm much more surprised that anyone even still had a Defined Pension... I thought everyone had moved to Defined Contribution plans.... even from an economic pov, you (the employee) have much more control and say over a DC plan as compared to a DP plan..... Wake up - this is not a bad thing!!

Another beef of mine is relying on company pensions... In this day where seeing people work for places 30+ years seems more and more rare, I would much rather see people in general use that money for their own RRSP's.... We've seen too many companies go belly up and the workers lost all their pensions and had nothing to show for it.... yes I do feel really bad for those folks caught in the crossfire - but we should also be using that as a lesson that the only person responsible for living comfortably in retirement is you!

Some of the changes Canada Post is seeking from its employees reflect the dramatic concessions made by unions in the auto industry before Chrysler and GM headed into bankruptcy. In 2008 the CAW agreed to a wage freeze, benefit cuts including the loss of vacation time and a reduction in pension entitlements.

So if it's good enough for the CAW why not the CUPW?

There's been a 57 per cent increase in workplace injuries since Canada Post introduced a sorting machine that organizes the mail for letter carriers, he said. Employees are being injured using the machines, as well carriers are getting hurt carting more mail and delivering on longer routes, Vigneux said.

So where is the Health and Safety Committee? Where is the PROPER training? Where is the protective gear? Common sense people... if you are going to be working with or near a machine, you damn well better now how to use it, and how to do so safely!! Duh!

Canada Post gives its employees seven days a year of sick time and allows workers to carry unused days year-to-year. The company wants to scale that back and allow employees to carry over only two days. None of the sick time can be cashed out or used to retire early.

Having worked for many, many places that do not allow you to roll over ANY unused time, this seems fair to me... you could still potentially bank a lot of time...

Part of this comment would fit in the spin-off about the usefulness of unions - but it seems to me that all we ever hear about any more are the unions who hold the companies hostage. They seem to demand more and more and not allow the company the room to make changes to adjust for the changing market conditions and other external factors.....

Edited by cbarker78, 16 June 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#37 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:30 AM

Why would I want to send my 67 year old dad a father's day card anyway?

My 2 are fed ex'ing their father's day package out.

Yay to them choosing the RIGHT carrier! (lol sorry a bit biased....)

I purolated it...expensive though, is fed ex cheaper?

I just priced a package through FedEx, Purolator, and UPS. Fedex was by far cheaper! It was $9.10 for a 3lb box. The others wanted over $20! If I had ExpressPosted it as originally planned, it would have been $13.

to ship a tiny box of chocolates less then 1lbs by purolator it cost me 26 dollars. If I wanted it express, it would have cost 33. fedex would have only been 9? Fedex next time for sure, even when Canada Post is back. They are also way overpriced for sending tiny packages.

#38 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

Canada Post is definitely way overpriced but they're still the cheapest option for me. I get a small business discount through PayPal so none of the other couriers can compare, not even FedEx.

Plus there is the extra expense of driving the distance to the nearest FedEx drop off point. I'm not sure where it would be but I can't imagine it's closer than the 2 minutes it takes me to get to the post office.

Edited by Kindermom, 16 June 2011 - 12:09 PM.

#39 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

Canada Post is definitely way overpriced but they're still the cheapest option for me. I get a small business discount through PayPal so none of the other couriers can compare, not even FedEx.

Plus there is the extra expense of driving the distance to the nearest FedEx drop off point. I'm not sure where it would be but I can't imagine it's closer than the 2 minutes it takes me to get to the post office.

See I was worried about the drive too, but I didn't realize that there was a FedEx right here in LaSalle. I think there are more of them than we realize. To mail it would have been at the Macs on Front Rd. To FedEx it was 2 minutes extra to the storage facility just before the Raceway.

#40 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

Ah, thanks Fedex at Storage place, good to know.

#41 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

Well so whats wrong with people being inconvienenced for a few days. Its not like its a garbage strike.
People DO HAVE alternatives this time, they can use fed ex. People can get account and bill information from the utility companies and pay at the bank or on line.
I really dont think its that big of a deal. Sometimes I think people take for granted the systems we have in place.

It is a big deal for those of us that run small businesses and depend on Canada Post for survival. There are no other viable shipping alternatives for me. I looked into other couriers and the quotes were three times the price of what I pay with CP, that's more than the product itself is worth and no one would pay it. So until this strike is over my business has essentially come to a halt.

Exactly. You also have no other option when things are coming in from other countries, it automatically comes via CP

#42 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

But they are expected back to work early next week no? My comment is directed at a few days, not weeks such as the garbage strike.

#43 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

But they are expected back to work early next week no? My comment is directed at a few days, not weeks such as the garbage strike.

even if they are only out for 1 or 2 weeks, they are still behind and have to catch up. So something that shoul dhave come this week, will probably make an apperance 3 - 4 weeks from now, when I needed it this week.

#44 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

See I was worried about the drive too, but I didn't realize that there was a FedEx right here in LaSalle. I think there are more of them than we realize. To mail it would have been at the Macs on Front Rd. To FedEx it was 2 minutes extra to the storage facility just before the Raceway.

Actually not true. You could have mailed it at the Shoppers on Malden as well.

#45 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

There is no fedex in the shopers on malden though.

#46 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

No, I wasn't referring to Fedex. She said to mail it would have been on Front rd, but to fedex was only 2 mins away. There is a Canada Post in Shoppers on Malden, so therefore it wasn't as far away as she thought.

#47 mysticmom

mysticmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

No, I wasn't referring to Fedex. She said to mail it would have been on Front rd, but to fedex was only 2 mins away. There is a Canada Post in Shoppers on Malden, so therefore it wasn't as far away as she thought.

i am not sure where she lives, but front road may be closer than malden for her. I know Front road is closer for me.

#48 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

i am not sure where she lives, but front road may be closer than malden for her. I know Front road is closer for me.

I never said it was closer. I was merely telling her that there was another place in Lasalle to mail things.

#49 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:40 PM

Yes, Macs on Front Rd. is closer for me and is our mail centre for package pickup. I was saying that FedEx was only 2 minutes from Macs. I live a little more away from Windsor towards Amherstburg.

#50 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

I did see that one on their site. It's about 20 minutes from me so the post office is definitely closer.

#51 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:03 PM

Facebook friend just put on her status that they were just legislated back to work... (she's a postal worker)

#52 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

did she mention when the mail will start flowing again?

#53 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

Just a couple things I want to comment on in the article...

Talks between Canada Post and its employees are stalled over the pension shortfall, introducing a new twotiered wage system for new hires who would make $6 to $8 less than existing employees doing the same job and the elimination of a defined pension benefit for new hires, said John Vigneux, president of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers Local 630 representing about 550 local workers.

"If I'm working next to you and you are making $6 more per hour than me, there is something off there," Vigneux said.

yeah... it's called the guy beside you has seniority!! I fully agree with this "two-tiered" system (which even surprises me).... in tough economic times, employees have to be willing to do what they can to help their company back to a stable position - it's not the time to be going after them to bleed them dry! One other article I read (Huffington Post maybe?) mentioned that the starting wage is approx $24/hr and the union wanted 3.3% this year and 2.75% in year 2 and 3 - really?! IMO that's too much - especially when other sectors are agreeing to wage freezes for the next couple years....

somewhere else I thought I had read that they are moving from a defined pension (where you know how much you have at the end) and replacing it with a defined contribution system (where what you have at the end depends on what's contributed over time). I'm much more surprised that anyone even still had a Defined Pension... I thought everyone had moved to Defined Contribution plans.... even from an economic pov, you (the employee) have much more control and say over a DC plan as compared to a DP plan..... Wake up - this is not a bad thing!!

Another beef of mine is relying on company pensions... In this day where seeing people work for places 30+ years seems more and more rare, I would much rather see people in general use that money for their own RRSP's.... We've seen too many companies go belly up and the workers lost all their pensions and had nothing to show for it.... yes I do feel really bad for those folks caught in the crossfire - but we should also be using that as a lesson that the only person responsible for living comfortably in retirement is you!

Some of the changes Canada Post is seeking from its employees reflect the dramatic concessions made by unions in the auto industry before Chrysler and GM headed into bankruptcy. In 2008 the CAW agreed to a wage freeze, benefit cuts including the loss of vacation time and a reduction in pension entitlements.

So if it's good enough for the CAW why not the CUPW?

There's been a 57 per cent increase in workplace injuries since Canada Post introduced a sorting machine that organizes the mail for letter carriers, he said. Employees are being injured using the machines, as well carriers are getting hurt carting more mail and delivering on longer routes, Vigneux said.

So where is the Health and Safety Committee? Where is the PROPER training? Where is the protective gear? Common sense people... if you are going to be working with or near a machine, you damn well better now how to use it, and how to do so safely!! Duh!

Canada Post gives its employees seven days a year of sick time and allows workers to carry unused days year-to-year. The company wants to scale that back and allow employees to carry over only two days. None of the sick time can be cashed out or used to retire early.

Having worked for many, many places that do not allow you to roll over ANY unused time, this seems fair to me... you could still potentially bank a lot of time...

Part of this comment would fit in the spin-off about the usefulness of unions - but it seems to me that all we ever hear about any more are the unions who hold the companies hostage. They seem to demand more and more and not allow the company the room to make changes to adjust for the changing market conditions and other external factors.....

:goodpost :goodpost :goodpost

#54 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

If you go on fedex.ca you can enter a postal code and find the nearest location. Some are drop off only, some are full serviced so depends what type on assistance you require.

As for comparing couriers -- there are MANY factors you have to considered when you compare the overall cost. So I caution anyone comparing rates to ensure they make sure they know all th details. For Intl shipping for example, you could be assessed a customs brokerage fee thru CPC which you may not thru FedEx etc. Just not always an apples to apples comparison.

#55 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:47 AM

since the bill was passed last night i am thinking by the end of this week they will be delivering again

#56 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

If they were ruled back to work I wouldnt expect 'normal' service to resume -- usually there is a lot of tension in work to rule situations until a contract is actually in place. ie. expect no overtime, no 'extra' efforts to catch up etc. Not saying it will be the case but generally people working without a contract aren't doing anything above and beyond.

#57 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:06 AM

I read they'll be sorting Monday and delivery to resume Tuesday.... Didn't miss the junk mail or wrong items anyways (stuff addressed to neighbours but left in my mailbox)

#58 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:51 AM

I read they'll be sorting Monday and delivery to resume Tuesday.... Didn't miss the junk mail or wrong items anyways (stuff addressed to neighbours but left in my mailbox)

what do you consider junk mail
i dont get the flyers etc just the stuff thats addressed to me

#59 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:46 AM

If they were ruled back to work I wouldnt expect 'normal' service to resume -- usually there is a lot of tension in work to rule situations until a contract is actually in place. ie. expect no overtime, no 'extra' efforts to catch up etc. Not saying it will be the case but generally people working without a contract aren't doing anything above and beyond.

The lady I know that I just spoke to, expects to be putting at least 3 hours of overtime tomorrow and until they are caught up. She didn't seem to imply that anything would be slow where she works.

#60 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:04 AM

what do you consider junk mail
i dont get the flyers etc just the stuff thats addressed to me

we get a lot of junk mail... primus envelopes, pizza ads, etc.... the kids love it because I tell them it's their mail ;)

#61 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

Hoping to get mail this week-- it's been a worrisome time for use small business owners who rely on mail to get their money.
I was all set to send Layton the interest bill on the line of credit we almost had to dip into-- asshat.

#62 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

I wanted the to strike to end too, but Layton was absolutely right to fight it!! This is a democracy, not a dictatorship. We have taken away these people's voices, and taken away their right to vote. Not good, IMO. This again, shows that the Conservative party is more about telling you want to do and how to do it, rather than accepting free will. I was majorly torn because my family also depend on mail being delivered, but I cannot put myself in front of all those employees! CUPE, I want to punch a little bit, though.

#63 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

I wanted the to strike to end too, but Layton was absolutely right to fight it!! This is a democracy, not a dictatorship. We have taken away these people's voices, and taken away their right to vote. Not good, IMO. This again, shows that the Conservative party is more about telling you want to do and how to do it, rather than accepting free will. I was majorly torn because my family also depend on mail being delivered, but I cannot put myself in front of all those employees! CUPE, I want to punch a little bit, though.

^^ Yep!!!!

#64 Mom0f2

Mom0f2

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

The only thing that is hard is that we have upcoming weddings, they can't send out the invitations, after spending all that money, fed ex or puralotor doesn't work for that... unfortunately...

As for bills, easy enough all set up to be paid anyway, Visa comes in mail, easy called up and paid it in full, no worries now,
just Cogeco... set up .. .all set to go.. and no problems now...

I really did get mostly junk mail..

from what i heard is that the strike was over some benefits..... minimal details.... something about sick days... they bank too many and the company wanted to regulate them more..... didn't think people still did get sick days... must be nice.... so sure more details will come again..

#65 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

something about sick days... they bank too many and the company wanted to regulate them more..... didn't think people still did get sick days... must be nice.... so sure more details will come again..

Our company use to allow saving of sick days, but that got voted out of our contract years ago for the junior people, senior people got to keep saving theirs. So basically if you don't use them, you lose them. Really gives no incentive to not use your sick days. But for the senior people, they save so many days over the course of their career, they end up taking off the last year, or year and a half sick because they get paid. Where do you draw the line though?

#66 Mom0f2

Mom0f2

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

something about sick days... they bank too many and the company wanted to regulate them more..... didn't think people still did get sick days... must be nice.... so sure more details will come again..

Our company use to allow saving of sick days, but that got voted out of our contract years ago for the junior people, senior people got to keep saving theirs. So basically if you don't use them, you lose them. Really gives no incentive to not use your sick days. But for the senior people, they save so many days over the course of their career, they end up taking off the last year, or year and a half sick because they get paid. Where do you draw the line though?

So that is how they work? I never had any lol...
I really can see that being an issue, as no one wants anything taken away.... but sometimes things have to change.... hopefully they get their jobs back... and pay stays the same...
Did you camp at Campers Cove this weekend? I remember seeing a post about you camping there.... .. we had an awesome weekend there.. party and all

#67 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

I really can see that being an issue, as no one wants anything taken away.... but sometimes things have to change.... hopefully they get their jobs back... and pay stays the same...
Did you camp at Campers Cove this weekend? I remember seeing a post about you camping there.... .. we had an awesome weekend there.. party and all

I agree with not allowing you to safe them up over your career to cash them out at the end, but in turn, incentive should be given so that the workers are not using up every sick day before the end of the year or just lose them.

Yes we camped. I updated the original post. I couldn't log into the wifi and forgot what site you were on. We were in overnight camping ND. It was fun. Unfortunately the first night baby woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep, so I ended up driving home at 230 in the morning. But I did go back the next day and had a great time again. He was too scared to go on the train, but that thing was pretty neat!. We will go back to that campground for sure. We tried to talk the older kids to going to the dance, but they were too shy, lol.

Edited by Sam, 27 June 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#68 Mom0f2

Mom0f2

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

I agree with not allowing you to safe them up over your career to cash them out at the end, but in turn, incentive should be given so that the workers are not using up every sick day before the end of the year or just lose them.

Yes we camped. I updated the original post. I couldn't log into the wifi and forgot what site you were on. We were in overnight camping ND. It was fun. Unfortunately the first night baby woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep, so I ended up driving home at 230 in the morning. But I did go back the next day and had a great time again. He was too scared to go on the train, but that thing was pretty neat!. We will go back to that campground for sure. We tried to talk the older kids to going to the dance, but they were too shy, lol.

oh the internet works great.. but at a small cost... sign up at the store, I really wouldn't know where to look for you... lol.... it was lot #180... my nephew stayed Sat night... he was on Maple... lost 53.. I think... big huge blue tent... and 2 kids..
We had a party at my sister in laws couldn't miss it ... all decorated with balloons/streamers.... that is her lot.. the corner before heading back to the overnight sites.... camping and babies.. sometimes good lol... sometimes not... hopefully next time.. my kids were at the dance... I was chapperoning.... can't wait till the long weekend.. we have fireworks... Sat.

#69 Mom0f2

Mom0f2

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

oh the internet works great.. but at a small cost... sign up at the store, I really wouldn't know where to look for you... lol.... it was lot #180... my nephew stayed Sat night... he was on Maple... lost 53.. I think... big huge blue tent... and 2 kids..
We had a party at my sister in laws couldn't miss it ... all decorated with balloons/streamers.... that is her lot.. the corner before heading back to the overnight sites.... camping and babies.. sometimes good lol... sometimes not... hopefully next time.. my kids were at the dance... I was chapperoning.... can't wait till the long weekend.. we have fireworks... Sat.