25 replies to this topic

#1 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

Have you ever thought about it? What would you like to do?

#2 vmbeetle

vmbeetle

Thoroughly addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

I haven't but have wished I did school differently.
I would have rather taken Advertising than Human Resources and followed by my Marketing.
I did make a couple friends through Human Resources and a job out of it but it's just not my cup of tea. I could have went to Humber for school for photography as well but would probably still be in the whole with debt due the expensive city Toronto is.

#3 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

Im wishing I had gone with my original plan to go to medical school....Im kicking myself not for not when my parents offered to pay.

Right now with the future up in the air...Ive really wanted to possibly become a makeup artist,but in no way could afford the classes,and dont think there is financial assistance for that.I do think i have a talent..who knows.

#4 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

Currently in the process of doing just that! When I went to school I was paying my own way and could not afford to go med school as planned, so I ended up going a different route. Now I am going back in the fall for medical office and after that, hopefully once I secure a good job with a steady income, I would like to go back and take nursing. Its not exactly what I had wanted, but at my age its about as close as I'm gonna get :)

#5 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

Currently in the process of doing just that! When I went to school I was paying my own way and could not afford to go med school as planned, so I ended up going a different route. Now I am going back in the fall for medical office and after that, hopefully once I secure a good job with a steady income, I would like to go back and take nursing. Its not exactly what I had wanted, but at my age its about as close as I'm gonna get :)

Just a word of caution for the medical admin jobs... its hard to get into a good paying position without starting out part time... there are some specialty offices and the hospital that pay pretty well but they want experience. I took medical office when I was managing a retail store that I had been at for a while and made good money so I wasnt willing to go to a lesser wage. If youre able to start off part time or at a minimal wage you can work your way up... Good luck regardless.

#6 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Im wishing I had gone with my original plan to go to medical school....Im kicking myself not for not when my parents offered to pay.

Right now with the future up in the air...Ive really wanted to possibly become a makeup artist,but in no way could afford the classes,and dont think there is financial assistance for that.I do think i have a talent..who knows.

Marvell offers an esthetics/cosmetics program and you can get OSAP thru them. I think you should do it! I've always admired your makeup! You are very talented!

#7 scrappy survivor

scrappy survivor

4 stars survivor mama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:44 PM

yup nursing I think about ti every day & wish I could.... also want to be a doula. I went to EMT school but it is not valid over ehre.

#8 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

there was many things I wanted to do but unfortunately no schooling available in Windsor and my family guilt tripped me into staying here to go to school.
I am happy with my career choice now as long as I can find work lol

#9 LoveMyKids2

LoveMyKids2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

I REALLY want to go back to school for interior design.....I would even go back for interior decorating! I love creating spaces and I think I'm pretty good (at least I've been told so lol) this is something I have always wanted to do!

#10 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

I would run a sport store + gym. It is what i like to do in my past time .....it would be great to make money at it.

#11 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

Psychology.

If I could I'd go back to school tomorrow for my degree. I don't want the debt load at my age and I just don't have the energy either lOl.

#12 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

sports store and yoga studio owner!!!

#13 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

I wish i'd followed up my poli sci degree with law school. i'd have been a lawyer by now, which would be far better than a careerlost 31 year old in a dead end job.

#14 DoubleD

DoubleD

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:23 PM

there was many things I wanted to do but unfortunately no schooling available in Windsor and my family guilt tripped me into staying here to go to school.
I am happy with my career choice now as long as I can find work lol

What were you hoping to take that they don't offer here? Sucks when you have a dream that you can't follow.

For me, I started with upgrading my high school courses 2 years ago and in about 3 weeks I will be entering my 2nd year of the BScN program at St. Clair. I am terrified!

Edited by DoubleD, 14 August 2011 - 11:24 PM.

#15 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

2nd year was my favorite! You get to actually feel like you are learning something that will help you in your career. You actually get those hands on skills and you learn injections! hehe Fun times. I think it's all uphill from here. First year, IMO, is more or less a filler year. The good stuff (and hard stuff) is yet to come, but it's sooo worth it!

#16 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

Marvell offers an esthetics/cosmetics program and you can get OSAP thru them. I think you should do it! I've always admired your makeup! You are very talented!

Aww...i just saw this now.Thank you Dana!
Im wondering if the insurance company will help fund retraining,cause im pretty sure theres no job for me to go back to now....Im not sure how long an employer will hold your position after an accident.I think going back to school is an admirable thing for anyone to do :)

#17 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

Well I went to school to be a PSW. Then I worked in a retirement home with Alzheimer residents for 9 years. But what I really wanted to do was work in a funeral home. I have always wanted to be a mortician, but by the time I actually decided that is what I wanted to do, I was pregnant again, 10 years later. Then my dh got a very big promotion at his work, which requires him to travel, alot, so I became a full time SAHM. Now that my kids are 16 and 6, I would love to go back to work, doing something different.

#18 Lesserri

Lesserri

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

Honestly been pondering this for a bit, because I dislike where I am currently and would love to make my life better. I love helping people, and love kids but completely lost to what I want to do.

#19 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

I went to Uni and got a couple degrees that are just hanging on my SAHM wall collecting dust ... I'm studying right now to be a lactation educator (should be done soon!) and I'll go on to become a lactation consultant. I'm excited :)

#20 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

I went to Uni and got a couple degrees that are just hanging on my SAHM wall collecting dust ... I'm studying right now to be a lactation educator (should be done soon!) and I'll go on to become a lactation consultant. I'm excited :)

Yay!!!!!!

#21 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:00 PM

Yay!!!!!!

My sentiments exactly :) Thanks!

#22 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

Yay!!!!!!

We *need* a solid LC that runs on her own! I'm seriously rooting you on- you GO, girl!! :cheerleader

#23 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

Yay!!!!!!

We *need* a solid LC that runs on her own! I'm seriously rooting you on- you GO, girl!! :cheerleader

I would absolutely LOVE to get into this!! In a few years, when my kids are older, I totally will.

EEKK!! I am so happy for you! You will be the best advocate and I can't wait!

#24 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

Yay!!!!!!

Yes, it would have been much more helpful than the one I got at the hospital :s

#25 m.smith

m.smith

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

I am currently in college for ECE (2 year program ), hoping to do a doula course over the net this summer. Then Finishing with midwifery (at some point). I want to study law, or some type of teen mother/parent consoler at some point. (I gave birth to my son at 14)

#26 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

Well I went to school to be a PSW. Then I worked in a retirement home with Alzheimer residents for 9 years. But what I really wanted to do was work in a funeral home. I have always wanted to be a mortician, but by the time I actually decided that is what I wanted to do, I was pregnant again, 10 years later. Then my dh got a very big promotion at his work, which requires him to travel, alot, so I became a full time SAHM. Now that my kids are 16 and 6, I would love to go back to work, doing something different.

This is what I do for a living :) It is such a rewarding career and getting into the program is actually quite easy. There are alot more mature students atttending the program now as a second career. If you have any questions let me know. The best place to start is doing some 40 hr volunteer work with a funeral home so you can see what the job is really about and what is involved!