38 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

Please say a prayer for the family, colleagues and friends of Const. Garrett Styles who tragically lost his life when he was run down by two underage drivers yesturday! The transcripts for the call have been made public and just show how truly sad and preventable this could have been. RIP Const. Styles!

Cops grieve fallen officer; teen driver remains in hospital

CP24 @ 2:30 p.m. - Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Police ID officer killed in collision - Tuesday, June 28, 2011

York police chief talks about fallen officer - Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Police officer killed in York Region - Tuesday, June 28, 2011

View larger image

Flags fly at half-mast outside the York Regional Police 1 District headquarters after one of the service's officers was killed in a collision Tuesday, June 28, 2011. (CP24/Tom Stefanac)

A York Regional Police officer who was struck by a vehicle during a traffic stop Tuesday morning has died of his injuries.

Const. Garrett Styles, a 32-year-old man who served the York Regional Police force for seven years, was struck at about 5 a.m. He died about an hour later.

The fatal collision occurred on Highway 48, which is closed in both directions between Mount Albert Road and Davis Drive, east of Newmarket.

To leave a message of condolence for the fallen officer's family, friends and colleagues, click here.

Styles was struck by a van while he was conducting a traffic stop on Highway 48, near Herald Road, in East Gwillimbury.

The officer was approaching the vehicle on foot when he was struck and dragged. The van drove off the highway and into a field.

Paramedics rushed Styles to hospital in Newmarket but he died of his injuries.

Two people have been taken into custody, sources told CP24. The suspects are a boy and a girl, both believed to be 15 years old.

'Significant loss'

Styles comes from a family of police officers, according to sources. His father is a retired staff-sergeant with York Regional Police and his wife Melissa is a civilian employee with the force.

Styles is also survived by his two small children.

York police Chief Eric Jolliffe gave a brief statement to reporters, saying the officer's death is a "significant loss" to the police service and York Region.

He described Styles as a "confident and capable" officer.

'Selfless service'

Premier Dalton McGuinty offered his condolences in a statement.

"My deepest sympathies go out to his family, friends and to the York Regional Police during this very difficult time," McGuinty said. "His death is a tremendous loss not only for those who loved him, but for all of us."

The incident is a reminder of the "depth of that selfless service" that police officers provide, McGuinty said.

Some York Regional Police officers learned of their colleague's death while they were at the scene of the collision. Some broke down in tears. Others hugged and consoled each other.

Ontario Provincial Police said Highway 48 is expected to be closed between Mount Albert Road and Davis Drive for most of the day.

Two deaths in four years

Two York Regional Police officers have died in the line of duty in the last four years.

In August 2007, Det. Const. Robert Plunkett died when he was struck by a car while attempting to stop a man who was stealing airbags.

Nadeem Jiwa, 23, was convicted of manslaughter at trial in April. He is scheduled to be sentenced Wednesday.

This is the second consecutive week a police officer has been harmed in the line of duty in Ontario.

Last Wednesday, Peterborough police Const. Keith Calderwood was shot and wounded while police conducted a drug raid in Lindsay, Ont. Calderwood has been released from hospital.

Corey Aaron Armstrong, a 21-year-old Toronto resident, was shot and killed in the raid.

Ontario's Special Investigations Unit said at least one of the bullets that struck Calderwood was from another officer's gun.

With a report from CP24's Cam Woolley and Sue Sgambati

#2 canadianangel

canadianangel

Mom2momer since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:06 PM

So very sad They have a facebook page http://www.facebook....ipgarrettstyles

#3 EmnMs

EmnMs

mmmmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

so crazy to think, these kids involved go to school with my nephew. It's been pretty sad over here in York Region this week- and a lot of us are outraged by the incident that could have been prevented.

So sad for Const. Styles and his family- he left behind a loving wife, a 2.5yr old and a 9 week old. They will never know their father personally, only by photos and stories.

He will always be, a hero.

#4 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

wow...so sad. I'm so angry for the whole family.

The 15 year old is now charged with 1st degree murder. It's unfortunate that at such an offence they are still protected under the young offenders act.

My prayers to the family.

#5 EmnMs

EmnMs

mmmmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

the 15yr old behind the wheel is also a quadrapalegic now... and in a way- I say GOOD. it's unfortunate though, that he still has his life, and the officer does not.

the 15yr old behind the wheel is also a quadrapalegic now... and in a way- I say GOOD. it's unfortunate though, that he still has his life, and the officer does not.

#6 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

I feel horrible for everyone involved, including the 15 year old driver! Have you ever been 15 and did something truly stupid?? Maybe you were lucky enough not to have anyone hurt by your actions, but this kid is now completely paralyzed and is facing 25 years in jail for his mistake. I find it sad ALL around. Now 2 lives basically lost, and endless amounts of family devastated.

I see what he did, and the result is terrible, but I cannot in my heart, be thankful that he is a quadriplegic, or that he may face so many years in jail. To me this is devastating all around, and there is no justice that can be reached here. The only way I could feel right about this is if the 15 year old intentionally did this, or had no remorse. Somehow I highly doubt either is the case..

Heartbreak all around, but I find it sort of sick to celebrate any part of this horrible mess.

#7 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

Oh my goodness, how horrific. Was the vehicle stolen?

#8 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

I feel horrible for everyone involved, including the 15 year old driver! Have you ever been 15 and did something truly stupid?? Maybe you were lucky enough not to have anyone hurt by your actions, but this kid is now completely paralyzed and is facing 25 years in jail for his mistake. I find it sad ALL around. Now 2 lives basically lost, and endless amounts of family devastated.

I see what he did, and the result is terrible, but I cannot in my heart, be thankful that he is a quadriplegic, or that he may face so many years in jail. To me this is devastating all around, and there is no justice that can be reached here. The only way I could feel right about this is if the 15 year old intentionally did this, or had no remorse. Somehow I highly doubt either is the case..

Heartbreak all around, but I find it sort of sick to celebrate any part of this horrible mess.

I am sorry but I respectfully disagree with this. His family can still see him and talk with him...and vice versa. This officers family and children will not have that anymore. One 1 life is lost. This is so sad. I am sorry the 15 year old is suffering from this injury but tell me for not 1 second this teen didn't think he was doing anything wrong. There was at least 1 second that this teen knew what he was doing was wrong.

I'm just so sad that this has happened.

#9 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:01 PM

I'm not saying he didn't know he was doing anything wrong, I'm saying he didn't mean for it to turn out the way it did! It was a mistake, and it turned tragic. Right or wrong, how many teens take cars on joyrides? A heck of a lot, they are just lucky they don't hurt anyone. It was incredibly stupid, yes, and absolutely tragic, but there is no winner here, and there never will be.

He may still be alive, but the life as he knows it is over. PLUS he is facing 1st degree murder charges, for something that, IMO, was not at all premeditated or intended. (unless it was, and then my opinion would be different) He made a horrible mistake, for sure, but to celebrate the fact that he is permanently paralyzed and may spend up to the next 25 years in prison? I can't imagine the officer or his family would celebrate that.

#10 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:19 PM

I understand what you are saying. But I am not celebrating his injuries. It's unfortunate of his injuries that he will never recover from or the emotional injuries of what he will face for life. But had he not taken off after being pulled over this officer could still be here today. And from him taking off after being pulled over and dragging the officer 300 meters is enough intent to cause harm...kwim? Not everyone thinks it will turn horrible like this, but he still did wrong. I agree with the charges. If the charges are not made then really some more teens may not take things more seriously. KWIM?

I know there are a lot of teens that do joyride and don't know of the potential consequences. We had a talk with our ODS who is 13 of this incident and he knows that with every action and there is a reaction and consequence...whether it's a good turn out or a bad turn out. I

#11 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

I'm sorry but I cannot feel sorry for the teen driver! He took his parents van, got caught and sped off knowing the officer was hooked on the car. He could have stopped, but instead he drove erratically which resulted in the car losing control and flipping on top of the officer who was only trying to do his job and ultimately lost his life! I'm sick of people using the excuse that teens are just doing what teens do!!! Teens know the difference between right and wrong and this case is no different! There is now a wife and two children who have lost their husband and father and another family who will endure years of legal fees and public scrutiny. This was a senseless crime (yes I say crime and not accident) that could have been prevented!

#12 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

the teen deserves absolutely EVERYTHING that has happened to him and has yet to. unfortunately with our soft young offenders act, he won't get NEARLY what he deserves.

even if the 1st degree murder charges stick (and it's doubtful) the MAXIMUM sentence he can recieve is 10 years. pathetic. the poor officer's children won't even be the age of the brat who killed their father in 10 years.

#13 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

See I understood that he had pulled someone else over, and the van hit him as he was passing by..? So many versions of this story going around. There is an article that even states it was a car that ran him over.. I know it was a van, due to the very short part of that horrible clip I listened to that someone decided was good to post for everyone to hear.. Which is another disgusting move all in itself.

I never said he didn't know what he was doing, and I never said he didn't know it was wrong!! I said that I don't believe he ever intended to have this happen, and I think he got freaked out when he got pulled over and made an awful choice. The result of that is tragic, but what happen to the teen, IMO, is also tragic. No excuses for his actions, just empathy. His bad decision cost a whole lot more than one life and he will spend the rest of his life paying the price. In a sense that is rightfully so, but to be happy that this happen to this child, which he essentially is, is nauseating to me.

I will never celebrate this sort of thing. To me to celebrate any part of tragedy is disgusting. People don't have to agree with me, obviously, and most wont. Nothing new to me, I'm always the one with the different opinion and that's completely ok with me.

#14 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

this is a breakdown of the story (it's huge news here)...

the 15 yr old stole either his fathers van or another kid in the cars parents' van. was driving 145kms in an 80. officer pulled him over. asked for id, the kid produced id that was not his. the van had 4 other underaged kids in it (keep in mind this is ALL at 5 am!!!). the officer tried to take the keys, kid took off. officer gets dragged over 300 meters.

i'm absolutely happy for everything this "child" gets. he likely won't get enough. this isn't an 8yr old, this is a 15 yr old who STOLE a car and drove it underage. beyond that, he didn't just stop when pulled over. he didn't even stop when he was dragging the officer. this resulted in the death of a husband & father.

the coddling of youth in this society has to stop.

Edited by It'sMe, 30 June 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#15 canadianangel

canadianangel

Mom2momer since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

If this Kids is being charged as a child he will only get 10 years. That for me isn't enough a 9 week old child will never know his Dad and for what? This 15 know what he was doing He could have stopped. He could have just took the punishment that was going to be given and what he is going to get is nothing to what he would have gotten. Karma is a B@*#$

#16 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

He is a quadriplegic and will serve 10 years. What is a something you would consider "enough"? Life in prison? His death? What? A life for a life, IMO is not a fair trade. I stick by my view point, and I am completely fine with the rest of you sticking with yours!!

Again, in no way do I think what he did was right, and I am not making excuses for his behavior. I just think that what is happening to the kid makes this tragedy NO better, it changes nothing but to creates more devastation.

ETA: I want to clarify that I am in no way saying he should not be punished, either.

Edited by ~Jill~, 30 June 2011 - 03:11 PM.

#17 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

what would i consider enough? life sentence...which in Canada is 25 years before he could get parole (the max). God forbid he'd have to spend 25 years in jail with premium cable while those children grow up without their father, poor "kid".

the biggest problems with the bs youth criminal justice act is that this little pos can not and will not ever be able to be named. he can go on with life when his sentence (or rather, slap on the wrist) is served. albeit disabled, but at no fault but his own.

the public can hear the last dying words of the police officer who had MORE concern for the miserable little brats in the van laying on top of him, but we will never know the name of the one who killed him. what is wrong with this picture??

#18 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

Life no parole regardless of age should be the charge carried for killing a peace officer!

I'm one of those people who think that the youth age should be dropped to 14 - we live in times where children are maturing a lot faster, taking part in more adolescent type activities and who know they can break the law and be somewhat protected because of their age. Drop it to 14! Increase penalties, especially for those who re-offend and start making the youth of today more responsible for their actions.

I'm tired of hearing more and more about youths committing crimes and basically getting scolded and sent home so they can laugh and do it again!

Yes this kid is now wheelchair bound and yes he'll likely serve a minimal sentence and be out on the streets by the time that officers kids are graduating high school! I'm sorry, but thats not enough for me!

#19 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

What if it was happening to your family? Where you lost a loved one due to a preventable incident...where your kids had to live/grow up without their parent? This is not pointing at you Jill...but for those who think that his injuries should be considered what he is going through to be enough or not get a harsh punishment.

If it's a crime that is so major like this they should serve full time like an adult would.

#20 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

Jill, I'm with you. YES, the kid effed up. HUGE. But I don't think he DESERVES to be a quad, nor to serve a life sentence at the age of 15 years old. And if the dead guy wasn't a cop, he wouldn't face nearly as much time.

He DOES deserve punishment. But I feel for the kid and I feel for his parents as well as the cop's family.

#21 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:41 PM

I can't say what I would say if it were my family, because it isn't and it has never been. Experiencing something is the only way to really know. I would like to believe that I would still feel the same way. I am not saying the kid is innocent, or that he shouldn't be punished above and beyond his own self-imposed life sentence, I just think that it's a shame all around. I feel empathy, you can't tell me my emotions aren't valid.. no more or less than anyone else's.

I know you weren't pointing it at me Jenny, but seeing as I am the only one who has said anything at all in favor of the kid, than obviously I will answer. I can't see anyone else sticking their necks out after hearing that everyone BUT me feels like he should get the chair.. basically.

I can't help but feel sad all around.. It's such a total shame. It's who I am.. it's why I chose the profession I did, because I can care even when others say I shouldn't. I would care for this teen without batting an eyelash.

#22 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Ok, I take that back.. Dana stuck her neck out. :) I knew I couldn't be the only one!

#23 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:12 PM

I can't say what I would say if it were my family, because it isn't and it has never been. Experiencing something is the only way to really know. I would like to believe that I would still feel the same way. I am not saying the kid is innocent, or that he shouldn't be punished above and beyond his own self-imposed life sentence, I just think that it's a shame all around. I feel empathy, you can't tell me my emotions aren't valid.. no more or less than anyone else's.

I know you weren't pointing it at me Jenny, but seeing as I am the only one who has said anything at all in favor of the kid, than obviously I will answer. I can't see anyone else sticking their necks out after hearing that everyone BUT me feels like he should get the chair.. basically.

I can't help but feel sad all around.. It's such a total shame. It's who I am.. it's why I chose the profession I did, because I can care even when others say I shouldn't. I would care for this teen without batting an eyelash.

I don't think he should get the chair either...and I do feel sad all around too that he has this injury. But I agree that he should be charged with what he is charged with and nothing less. What I find horrible is that he will be protected under the young offenders act on such a crime that turned so horrible. Ok stealing something from a store sure protect under the young offenders act...but not stealing a vehicle, joyriding and all the tragic that came from this incident. He knew what he was doing was wrong from the get go. He knew that officer was hooked on the car and KEPT going. His life is not lost. That's what I was getting at. He can still communicate and see his family...this officers family cannot ever see their loved one again. I do not think it is good that this 15 year old is physically injured at all. It's sad. I don't feel sorry for the driver...but I don't think he deserved this injury either. He will have enough emotional trama about what he did (that is if he is remorseful). But he will never have enough jail time for what he has done.

#24 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:43 PM

I don't think he should get the chair either...and I do feel sad all around too that he has this injury. But I agree that he should be charged with what he is charged with and nothing less. What I find horrible is that he will be protected under the young offenders act on such a crime that turned so horrible. Ok stealing something from a store sure protect under the young offenders act...but not stealing a vehicle, joyriding and all the tragic that came from this incident. He knew what he was doing was wrong from the get go. He knew that officer was hooked on the car and KEPT going. His life is not lost. That's what I was getting at. He can still communicate and see his family...this officers family cannot ever see their loved one again. I do not think it is good that this 15 year old is physically injured at all. It's sad. I don't feel sorry for the driver...but I don't think he deserved this injury either. He will have enough emotional trama about what he did (that is if he is remorseful). But he will never have enough jail time for what he has done.

First off, I HIGHLY doubt that the kid intended to kill the cop. He was trying to get away (wrong, I know) but the cop had tried to pull the keys out and got stuck. I think the cop made a huge mistake in doing that. And he paid dearly for it. The kid panicked and I imagine when he realized just HOW bad he screwed up, he panicked even more. Obviously, the kid was wrong on SO many levels, but I don't think killing or even hurting the cop was intentional.

As far as punishment, if the kid didn't end up a quadrapilegic, I might agree with you. But he is now going to live a life sentence. *I* would rather be dead, than have to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair without the use of my arms OR my legs. So I think that the kid got punished enough, without having to spend life in jail. It'll actually likely be HARDER for him now than jail would have been.

#25 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

First off, I HIGHLY doubt that the kid intended to kill the cop. He was trying to get away (wrong, I know) but the cop had tried to pull the keys out and got stuck. I think the cop made a huge mistake in doing that. And he paid dearly for it. The kid panicked and I imagine when he realized just HOW bad he screwed up, he panicked even more. Obviously, the kid was wrong on SO many levels, but I don't think killing or even hurting the cop was intentional.

As far as punishment, if the kid didn't end up a quadrapilegic, I might agree with you. But he is now going to live a life sentence. *I* would rather be dead, than have to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair without the use of my arms OR my legs. So I think that the kid got punished enough, without having to spend life in jail. It'll actually likely be HARDER for him now than jail would have been.

I understand and can agree with you on some things...but why didn't he stop the car instead of driving 300 meters? That's a LONG distance. KWIM? He intended to get away...and unfortunately it resulted in unfortunate events. I do think it was wrong that the cop tried to reach in.

#26 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

May Garret Styles RIP. My thoughts go out to his family and the entire York community.

When someone chooses to commit a criminal offence, and in the commission of the offence an officer gets killed, its automatic first degree murder. The only reason this youth is getting charge for first degree is because he killed a cop. He is a young offender, and the courts will likely have mercy on him because of his injuries, in fact he probably won't do any time at all.

Shame on the media for releasing the audio transcrips. Even as Officer Styles lay dying, he was concerned for the occupants of the car on top of him. Shows what type of man he was, and how much character he had.

#27 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

Even as Officer Styles lay dying, he was concerned for the occupants of the car on top of him. Shows what type of man he was, and how much character he had.

Yes it sure does. And I agree the media should not have released the tape.

#28 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

Wait a minute...

Why WOULDN'T the officer try and take the keys? WHY was the van still running when he was pulled over and talking with the cop?

There is NO justification for this teen. I don't believe for a second that this kid didn't think he would get in shit. He commited THREE crimes before even coming into contact with the cop.

Really, he did this to himself. I have yet to see a report of someone holding a gun on him.

I do hope that he will be tried as an adult. He killed someone! Whether he meant to do it or not, there is no way that he had never heard horror stories of what can happen while driving a vehicle, accidents that can shatter a life in the blink of an eye. Prime example, Ryan Dunn, and what speed did for him!

If my kid did this, I would lose it. It is NOT excusable! Actions have consequences, if it is too much to face the possible consequences don't put your (and others) butts on the line.

#29 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

Wait a minute...

Why WOULDN'T the officer try and take the keys?

I agree 100%. The officer was trying to take the keys to prevent this kid from bolting. Even perhaps trying to avoid a high speed pursuit that could have ended with a lot more lives lost including some of his passengers who "apparently" didn't even know the car was stolen, or taken without consent.

#30 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

He could have asked the kid to turn the vehicle off, etc.. Hind sight is 20/20 either way, in both of their cases. Coulda woulda shoulda.

I'm sure he knew he was going to get in shit, freaked and tried to get away. No one is arguing that what he did was dead wrong, not for a second. I happen to feel badly for EVERYONE involved, included the kid.

#31 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

Jenny, to answer the question as to why didn't the kid didn't stop the van before dragging the officer 300 meters? he wouldn't have because he had no intent to. the van rolled, that's the only reason it came to a stop.

when i was watching the news today, there were reports that the "kid" has been seen driving around in a van similar to the one that he crashed on the property of his parents' business and in his neighbourhood, showing off and blasting music. breaking the law is clearly routine for this kid, he's not even old enough to hold a G1.

ETA: Michelle, you are bang on with everything as usual!

Edited by It'sMe, 30 June 2011 - 08:12 PM.

#32 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

He could have asked the kid to turn the vehicle off, etc.. Hind sight is 20/20 either way, in both of their cases. Coulda woulda shoulda.

I'm sure he knew he was going to get in shit, freaked and tried to get away. No one is arguing that what he did was dead wrong, not for a second. I happen to feel badly for EVERYONE involved, included the kid.

The officer shouldn't have to tell him to turn off the car. A person who has been pulled over is obligated to turn the car off before the officer even approaches.

Really think about the violations. 1 Stealing a vehicle - intentional. 2 Driving without a license - intentional. 3 Driving without insurance - intentional. Additional thought on that one, he should also be facing the fines for that one. It's not cheap, for a reason. 4 Presented a fake ID to the cop - intentional. 5 Attempted to flee the scene, yet dragging the officer 300 METERS only stopping because it proved difficult to continue to drive an overturned van - intentional. He didn't want to get grounded so he recklessly endangered lives! Maybe he didn't hope to kill the cop, but he sure as hell didn't stop to make sure he was ok!

That is pretty sick.

Seriously, he's 15! Ask kids half that age if any of the things he did were ok to do. If they know the right answer, can you say a 15 year old wouldn't?

#33 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

Jenny, to answer the question as to why didn't the kid didn't stop the van before dragging the officer 300 meters? he wouldn't have because he had no intent to. the van rolled, that's the only reason it came to a stop.

when i was watching the news today, there were reports that the "kid" has been seen driving around in a van similar to the one that he crashed on the property of his parents' business and in his neighbourhood, showing off and blasting music. breaking the law is clearly routine for this kid, he's not even old enough to hold a G1.

ETA: Michelle, you are bang on with everything as usual!

I know...I asked in relation to see intent...kwim? If driving without being licensed is a regular thing for this teen, where were his parents?

#34 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

The officer shouldn't have to tell him to turn off the car. A person who has been pulled over is obligated to turn the car off before the officer even approaches.

Really think about the violations. 1 Stealing a vehicle - intentional. 2 Driving without a license - intentional. 3 Driving without insurance - intentional. Additional thought on that one, he should also be facing the fines for that one. It's not cheap, for a reason. 4 Presented a fake ID to the cop - intentional. 5 Attempted to flee the scene, yet dragging the officer 300 METERS only stopping because it proved difficult to continue to drive an overturned van - intentional. He didn't want to get grounded so he recklessly endangered lives! Maybe he didn't hope to kill the cop, but he sure as hell didn't stop to make sure he was ok!

That is pretty sick.

Seriously, he's 15! Ask kids half that age if any of the things he did were ok to do. If they know the right answer, can you say a 15 year old wouldn't?

Yes! It was all intentional. He knew he was doing wrong.

#35 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

Why, so he could give the kid the opportunity to gun it? Seriously, I get your take that you are upset the kid is hurt. I understand that. I've got no issues with people feeling empathy for anyone, even this kid. But to put blame on the officer, or to say he should have handled it different or made a mistake. This is what pisses me off. I'm not the judge and jury, but I don't put any blame on the officer. NONE!