13 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

So one of our cats has a history of bladder related issues that as a result makes him go outside the box on occasion, however lately he's been doing more (I'm guessing laziness/habit since he has been checked out and is fine) and I'm at a point where I am fed up with cleaning up after him. We have retrained this cat multiple times (he is 7), but as is the case with some felines, this is a habit that just can't be broken (or so it would seem). He has been on clomicalm in the past too and had varying results. Today our little pee pee cat decided to urinate in my s/o's work boots which will most likely need to be tossed and replaced and to take it one step further he also peed on his lunch box (containing his lunch) which is beyond disgusting and not normal behavior for a cat. I'm at a point where I am considering euthanasia because he is an indoor cat that has never, ever been outdoors and has ZERO survival skills so an outdoor home is out of the question and this behavior is just getting out of control. I know my s/o will fight me on this because its his cat, but seriously its disgusting. As it stands I am afraid of putting the new carpet on the stairs/family room for fear that he will pee on that too (he pees on new stuff). WWYD??

#2 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

Hugs :( It's an evil situation. Either way it won't be easy (not that I think you just want easy, I know you don't).

#3 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:41 PM

Unless you have money coming out the wazoo and can tolerate the smell I would also lay the pet down. I know it certainly would not be easy by any means. If you have already ruled out medically there is nothing wrong and retraining is not working.

Essentially this cat can ruin your home if you let it go this path. Unless you know of someone that would take it outside ?

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:37 AM

Would you consider placing him as an only cat if you could find him a home?

He may be a cat that is a singleton. Some cats really do not like to live with other cats.

Your only other option I see is to have him checked for an infection then try clomicalm again. This time leave him on for life. We have more than one cat in our practice on it for life.

#5 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:09 AM

Does he have his own litter box?

#6 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

If you do want him placed to a single cat home do not let the HS handle the adoption. They will put him down, without you being able to be there for him at the end. Unless they have changed their policy in the last 2 years and 2 months.

I asked them to do that for my Furlin. He was miserable and acting out living in a house with kids. He would have been a perfect companion for an elderly lady :(

#7 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:45 AM

Would you consider placing him as an only cat if you could find him a home?

He may be a cat that is a singleton. Some cats really do not like to live with other cats.

Your only other option I see is to have him checked for an infection then try clomicalm again. This time leave him on for life. We have more than one cat in our practice on it for life.

this.

#8 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

Does he have his own litter box?

Excellent question! Latest "suggestion" with multiple cat homes it to have at Least one box per cat. preferable 1 per cat per level of the home! That is nuts, but, some cats are more finicky than others. All are fastidious in their bathroom habits. They like what they like and don't like what they don't like. Yes, they will go outside the litter for other reasons but the #1 reason has to do with the litter box itself.

I went to a talk a couple of months ago that was about pain arthritis in cats. The study showed that something like 7 cats over age 5 have some arthritis. By age 10 it is up to 98%. Litter box issues was the #1 sign of pain that owners complained about. She recommended that when a cat is having litter box issues that you think of pain as the reason. They can't get in and out as easy, or they don't have room to posture properly, or it is in a location difficult for them to get at. She said a low sided box on every level of the house was a good way to avoid litter box issues. Then (of course) try pain management.

Thanks for asking that question! It reminded me of that info. (My brain, not so good LOL)

#9 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies. To answer some questions, I have 5 litter boxes for 4 cats that are scooped daily (sometimes twice) and we can only use one type of litter because of this picky bugger. The boxes are in there own area with a cat door entrance so its private and undisturbed and they have a light for nigh time -> we covered all the litter issue basics long ago :) This one cat use to be awesome until he got a really bad bladder infection that ended up leading to recurring bladder related issues that we got under control after two years of medication, food test and adding a water fountain. It was after the bladder issue got better that he started going outside the box, not all the time, but enough to be put on clomicalm which worked the first time, but after that seemed to only help a little. I'm told that this is a common issue with cats who suffered bladder issues because it becomes more of a habit rather than a behavioral issue. I'm thinking we will try clomicalm one more time and I'm also going to get new litter boxes (suggestion from the vet) I'm also going to ask about the arthritis, although he is pretty spry and hasn't shown any of the common arthritis symptoms, cats like to hide illness so its worth looking into. I don't think its a multi cat thing. He is the caregiver pet who sleeps, grooms and snuggles with all the others. He loves interaction! I'm hoping we can find a solution because this is an awesome cat! He was pulled from a dumpster at barely three weeks old, was bottle fed, survived a major eye and upper respiratory infection and became the most loving, personable cat I have ever owned.

#10 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

The fact that he is peeing on shoes and inside lunch boxes makes me believe its behavioural. If the anti-depressants are not working, I personally would have him euthanised. I would not try to re-home a cat who will potentionally and most likely urinate in another home and cause someone else grief and anguish. Believe me, I AM a cat person and love all animals, but I believe you have tried every resource and there is only one option left. (is he declawed?) if he's declawed he can't even become someone's outside mouser :(

Edited by Sam, 30 June 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#11 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

Well here is another question...is one of the other cats guarding the litter box? I had that problem...I always had two boxes in one location for 3 cats....no real big problem....

Then two of the cats really dont get along terribly well and one decided to start and guard the litter box...so much that the other guy decided to pee outside of the box when ever possible...so I put another box upstairs and no more guarding has happened.

#12 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

Have him rechecked for a possible bladder infection. We had a cat that did this and couldn't figure out why...and it was a urinary tract infection.

#13 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

Even check his kidneys out too.

#14 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

I personally would wait and see what the vet says after he's been all checked out. THen maybe give it some more time and after a few months if the peeing doesn't stop I would have to say goodbye. I'm a cat lover and animal lover but its not healthy for you or your family or the other cats to have pee everywhere. I have 5 cats and a dog and I would be so heart broken if I had to make this decision. Good Luck and I hope you can stop the bad peeing.