16 replies to this topic

#1 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

We've recently noticed that my one dog is very particular about the food bowls. Both food bowls have to be filled with food at all times. Both only eat twice during the day, but they have to be full. If only one dog eats, and there is one empty bowl, she cries until you fill it. Once full, she will go carry on with her day.

I was just curious if any of you have pets that are very particular with certain things?

#2 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:51 PM

My puggle has to take a toy or blanket to bed with him every night n chew for at least 10 mins even if he was already sleeping somewhere else. If he can't jump on the bed with the blanket he will drop it jump on the bed and stare at it whimpering til u get it for him. I think it's a comfort thing.

#3 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

Smoochers (cat) will not drink out of a water bowl. Over the winter he took to drinking out of our makeshift humidifiers (in other words cans of water on the baseboard heaters lol), and when he wants it fresh he stands on the bathroom counter and howls until you turn on the "fountain".

#4 single_mom

single_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

my older cat will not eat or drink out of a dish if its like half full, i think it has to do with his whiskers touching the sides cause hes huge lol he also has a habit of following me around and swatting at my ankles and meowing at me until i go touch his food, even just running my fingers on it. then he will eat.
he won't use scented litter but im pretty sure its an allergy thing and they would both rather drink out of the toilet than drink day old water in their dish lol

#5 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

My cats will only use one type of litter and use a self feeder because they all like to eat at different times throughout the day and require constant, fresh cold water.

My dogs like to have several different bowls with water at all times, if there is just one they are not happy campers and also like to have a full bowl of food so they can graze through the day.

The rabbit likes to eat veggies for breakfast and has his pellets and hay at night - always the same routine.

The birds also prefer one type of food and used to tip the food out of the cage if it was not their brand (messy and annoying).

All the animals also have a special spot that they claimed as their own to nap/groom.

#6 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

Smoochers (cat) will not drink out of a water bowl. Over the winter he took to drinking out of our makeshift humidifiers (in other words cans of water on the baseboard heaters lol), and when he wants it fresh he stands on the bathroom counter and howls until you turn on the "fountain".

i had a leaky tap in an old place i lived in. The first year of his life my cat would drink out of it, never a bowl, even if i filled it with that water.
it took us months to break him of that.

My cats hate food that doesn't have the "treats" in them and all three eat all of those first, then the kibble.
they don't eat the bits in the bottom, they have to be full pieces. god help us if the bottom of the bowl is visible, all three freak out and follow you around howling.

#7 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

Not so much. I guess because I don't "let" them be LOL (mean mom!)

Tiki has a toy "man" she loves. She will groom it and will carry it when she greets someone. I actually taught here the greeting though. When she was a pup she (for some unexplainable reason) could not jump up with her "baby" in her mouth. So, I taught her that she has to greet people with her baby in her mouth LOL.

My cat growing up loved to drink out of 1 particular cup. In the basement, on the laundry tub. She also liked running water like most cats do.

You would think I'd have a lot more "particularities" with so many dogs but, I really don't.

#8 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

the only thing i can think of is my cat will only drink out of the dog's water bowl now. I think he does this to make her ( the dog ) mad- she always smells it before she drinks and looks at me - almost as if why the hell is the damn cat drinking out of my dish!!

#9 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

My cat will only eat in the basement. I have tried to get her to eat in the kitchen with her water...but she won't. So food in the basement, water in the kitchen...weird...lol. She will only eat dry cat food. She won't eat treats either...so her only treat will be tuna juice when I open a can. She is also very particular on who pets her.

#10 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

my cat won't eat tuna or any kinda food with fish in it. and drinks out of the toilet.

#11 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

We've recently noticed that my one dog is very particular about the food bowls. Both food bowls have to be filled with food at all times. Both only eat twice during the day, but they have to be full. If only one dog eats, and there is one empty bowl, she cries until you fill it. Once full, she will go carry on with her day.

I was just curious if any of you have pets that are very particular with certain things?

That's a dominance thing...

#12 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

my 1 cat will only eat in the dinning room away from all the other cats who eat in the kitchen.
My indoor/ourdoor cat goes out the back door and comes in the front door. Never the same door she goes out of.
I have 1 male cat that never meows for anything. I've never even heard his meow.
All they cats drink out of the dog's water bowl. They had their own but never drank out of it.
All the cats have seperate food bowls and will not eat from the other's bowl.
All the cats have this strange cat call that they do at birds and squirrels. Its very weird.
The dog only goes out the back door. I think he's afriad of the traffic.
I have 1 cat we named monkey because he loves to climb and hang from tall things and curls his tail like a monkey. He loves to sit on people's shoulders just like a monkey. Its very cute and alittle wierd.

#13 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

How is that a dominance thing?

#14 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

How is that a dominance thing?

You are not the one controlling the food. The dog is. Therefore the dog is dominant. If the dog is demanding something and you are giving in...food, toys, attention...they are in control.

Edited by Trea, 06 July 2011 - 08:42 AM.

#15 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

But out of the 2 of my dogs, that one is the most submissive.

#16 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:50 AM

Jen...

To you, the other dog or who?. Even if a dog is submissive to another dog it can still think it is dominant over the people in the house.

That is one of the reasons my pets don't have those 'particularities". Many of the ones people see have been trained into them and the pets. I don't allow my dogs to do anything that does not prove to them I am "god" to them and have dominion over every aspect of their lives. When/where they eat/drink, when they get attention, when the potty, where they potty, when they exercise, when they play, how they play....everything. I am the "dominant" figure in my household because I control all resources. Not because I am "strong" or anything like that. I have the control because I lead. I lead because I have the control KWIM?

#17 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

Jen...

To you, the other dog or who?. Even if a dog is submissive to another dog it can still think it is dominant over the people in the house.

That is one of the reasons my pets don't have those 'particularities". Many of the ones people see have been trained into them and the pets. I don't allow my dogs to do anything that does not prove to them I am "god" to them and have dominion over every aspect of their lives. When/where they eat/drink, when they get attention, when the potty, where they potty, when they exercise, when they play, how they play....everything. I am the "dominant" figure in my household because I control all resources. Not because I am "strong" or anything like that. I have the control because I lead. I lead because I have the control KWIM?

I don't just mean with the other dog, I mean to everyone, including C. She is the better behaved dog of the two, more calm, better everything. The only issue I have with her is she is constantly at the vet.

ETA: I'm not arguing, I just don't see it.

Edited by Jen.Uh.Fur, 06 July 2011 - 03:10 PM.