11 replies to this topic

#1 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

I have decided to donate my hair to Locks of Love. I am still putting it together but, I am thinking I will collect donations of money as well as try to get some others to go with me for the chop. I am planning on doing it on Aug 9.

I still have to find a salon that does donations regularly and wants to "work with me" on this if I can get others involved!

#2 single_mom

single_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

way to go! great thing to do. a little girl who was 5 at the dragon boat races made something like 325$ yesterday cutting her hair to donate it :)

#3 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

I can't, I dye my hair.

#4 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

have you looked into Angel hair for kids? its a local org that helps kids who would never be able to afford a wig...

#5 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:00 AM

have you looked into Angel hair for kids? its a local org that helps kids who would never be able to afford a wig...

Do you know anyone who has worked with them? I have never heard of them until my research this time around. Looking at their site I see they are Canadian. I really don't know much about them though. I'll keep it in mind for next time around if I can find enough info on them.

#6 elainesj

elainesj

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

I'd look around. i wasn;t happy when I researched locks of love. apparently, they are overloaded with hair and most of the hair donated is sold.

Basically they get the hair donations and then they have to spend a ton of money to turn it into a wig. there is a lot of hair that just doesn't meet the requirements that then gets sold for other purposes. also all the excess hair they get that they can't afford to turn into wigs gets sold.

honestly, unless I can't find a reliable org to donate hair to...we won't be growing for donation again. we spent 3 yrs growing ashley's hair and I was disappointed when i actually looked into the whole thing. there's not many "good" orgs out there.

Locks of Love is run by a very small staff (for such a well known org) and they have said they are completely overwhelmed with hair and most of it gets sold.

That said, raising donations along with the hair donation really helps as it can cost abt $1000 (I think) to turn it into a wig.

E

#7 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

I would donate if you chose somewhere that accepts dyed hair. They don't all accept it, but some do! Also, there are minimum lengths, though I'd be willing to go short for a good cause, not too short. lol

My hair is something I value. hehe

#8 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

I did e-mail them because I had so many people telling me "don't do them". I am MUCH more wanting to donate to them now!

Yes, they sell some hair. It takes money to make the hair pieces. It costs money to run an organization also. There are very, very, very few non-profit organizations that give 100% of their donations to the cause. Many spend as much as 50% on overhead.

They do not sell "most" of the hair. They do sell the excess though. So what? What is the big deal there? Is it wrong for a non-profit org to have money in the bank for when times are tough? They are not making money on this. They are not "for profit" company. (yes, when they started they were in business with a for profit wig maker. That changed in 1997)

They do make people pay what they can afford. They do not turn down kids for financial reasons though. They take the families entire financial picture into account when making decisions. I see no problem with asking people to pay for things if they can afford it. Why should someone not pay if they can?

I am sorry some people don't agree with my choice. It is my choice though. I understand that on here people are honestly trying to help. I have gotten some messages though actually saying things that are totally untrue telling me that I am basically stupid for choosing them. That rally irks me.

#9 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

That's ridiculous. Stupidity is not doing what you can to help, IMO. Letting all that hair go to waste. Of course they also have to generate money in order to pay bills.

#10 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

Good for you....I saw the research and have no problem with the group...if they are overrun with hair then all the more reason to donate money as well to get that hair made into wigs for the kids. I have no problems with a sliding scale of payment, people take advantage of organizations and groups so showing you are in need is a way to actually help those in need. I have no problems with them selling the excess or too short/ not right stuff...that way they make money so they can make more wigs.

I will certainly support you in your choice.

Elain...it is sad to hear that you will not donate again...I think it is a great thing to do no matter what organization you choose to do it for...if you didnt like the first one....choose another. I wouldnt discourage my DD or myself from donating, esp if she wanted to.

I believe that all hair salons should be in contact with these groups, and when someone with long hair comes in and wants it chopped off, they can ask them to donate it to a good cause, I am sure a lot of places would rather see the hair donated, then swept off the floor and thrown away.

I would donate too, but my hair doesnt do short well, and I die it on a regular basis.

#11 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

Do you know anyone who has worked with them? I have never heard of them until my research this time around. Looking at their site I see they are Canadian. I really don't know much about them though. I'll keep it in mind for next time around if I can find enough info on them.

Yep I had a friend do a cut a thon for this one a couple weeks ago.
Any organization that can make wigs is great, we chose this one because its local and stays in Ont ( diffrent areas)
the big cut is sat, the local paper is going to be there too.. yikes, bye bye 17 inches of hair... thank god i am sick of the knotts

#12 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

Yep I had a friend do a cut a thon for this one a couple weeks ago.
Any organization that can make wigs is great, we chose this one because its local and stays in Ont ( diffrent areas)
the big cut is sat, the local paper is going to be there too.. yikes, bye bye 17 inches of hair... thank god i am sick of the knotts

DARN...If had known I would have maybe joined in! I don't pay attention to local stuff too much though so it would have had to be smacking me in the face for me to know LOL

Well, next time then. I'll be contacting them sometime inbetween now and 2yrs when my hair grows back.....IF it grows back this time LOL. (I"m getting old ya' know :whistle )

Reply to this topic