26 replies to this topic

#1 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

I am so confused about the requirements now. I know they prefer a passport, but isn't it still true that you can use your license and or birth certificate for land crossing only? I know flying you definitely need a passport. Want to go to Mexican Town and one of my in-laws doesn't have his passport.

TIA

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

I definately wouldn't try it. Theres a sign up that says passport, EDL or something else (never heard of it before so I don't remember what it was) only.

#3 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

I got over with my driver's license and birth certificate in May, but it was my first time over since the passport law and it was for my little cousins funeral (I had documentation supporting that).

If he has already gone over since it started they will already have his noncompliance on file, and they won't let them again. That said, if he hasn't used it yet the guard can choose whether an exception will be made for him one time. You risk getting your vehicle turned around having him in your car if they don't give him access.

I took an earlier tunnel bus so my Aunt wouldn't get denied because I was in the car for the funeral and just met up with her downtown Detroit. It's a pain in the butt, you guys just have to figure out if it's worth the hassle if he can't get through.

#4 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

I don't think they will allow it. The law has been in effect now quite some time so there has been plenty of time to get a passport. The only except a passport, a passport card, enhanced drivers licence, and FAST (whatever that is) There are signs posted at every lane as to what they allow. Maybe call the office at the border and see what they say... Can't hurt to call that way you will know for sure.

#5 Lina

Lina

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

i went across last summer with just my birth cert. the girl reamed me out big time but still let me across. but you are taking a big risk as they can and in most cases do turn you back

#6 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

Here is the info needed posted on the customs web site. I was under the impression they are pretty strict about the requirements now.

#7 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

I wouldn't try it. My friend and I got reamed out yesterday because our babies did not have a Nexus card! We had passports, they had bc's, and we were crossing at the regular booths and the guy asked why we didn't have proper documentation for our babies. I said I thought that only a bc was required up to the age of 16 (which is the law), and he said yes but a Nexus card is better and safer and kept asking why we didn't have them. He did tell us that they were free for kids, which I didn't know. But seriously, he was on a power trip, hoping to make his own job easier down the road and not caring about the actual law. We cross a lot, so we probably will get Nexus cards soon, but the guy was just being ridiculous!

Ok, vent over. I think with the law being in place for so long, you're really asking for them to give you a hard time, especially if you're just going for dinner. Passports have been coming pretty quickly lately (like 1-2 weeks). You can also get them expedited, but they will call your references in that case and I'm pretty sure they would want a better reason than just going for dinner. He could also get an enhanced driver's licence, but I don't think it's any faster because there is an interview involved. I'd say get a passport and go for dinner in a couple weeks (to celebrate? lol). It's a pricey dinner, but worth not having the hassle.

#8 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

well I guess he;ll have to wait. Thanks everyone.

#9 Aimster

Aimster

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:09 PM

Now you've got me worried. DH is taking DD1 and DD2 to Florida. They are flying out of Detroit and only one of them has a passport. I was under the impression that the 6 year old would be fine with a BC. They are leaving on Saturday so it's not like we have time now...

#10 Kristi

Kristi

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

Now you've got me worried. DH is taking DD1 and DD2 to Florida. They are flying out of Detroit and only one of them has a passport. I was under the impression that the 6 year old would be fine with a BC. They are leaving on Saturday so it's not like we have time now...

YOu do not need a passport for under the age of 16 but over that age it is the law. You may get a really nice person that will let you over but that is rare. You must have a passport to cross!

This has been in place for over a year and a half...I understand they are a bit pricey but it is only once every 5 years you have to pay for it!!!

I say just save teh hassle and GO get one!!

Edited by Kristi, 14 July 2011 - 07:01 AM.

#11 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:01 AM

They will be fine. The law is what it is. It doesn't matter if the one person thinks something else is "better".

#12 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:13 AM

Nexus cards are for frequent travellers who have nothing to declare, so I am not sure why they would suggest that for a baby????

We cross often with the kids. We pick up my stepson in the states.

My kids have passports just to make it easier. My stepson is 14 and does not have anything but his American birth certificate and his canadian citizenship. We have no issue crossing. We had one border guard tell us we needed to get him a passport. He is very tall, over 6 ft, and this was a couple years ago when he was 12, but almost 6 ft tall. They do not need it until they are 16.

From the website:
NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

To become a member in this program, you must do the following:
•submit an application and go through a registration process;
•satisfy the eligibility criteria;
•be admissible in Canada and the United States; and
•pass risk assessments by both countries.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable you to save time by:
•using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
•using designated lanes at the land border; and
•reporting to border officers by phone in advance of your arrival in the marine mode of transportation.
•using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

For Canadian and U.S. citizens, NEXUS membership cards also fulfill the travel document requirements of the U.S. WHTI. A NEXUS membership card may be used as an alternative to a passport when entering the United States:
•by air when used at kiosks at designated airports; and
•at all land and marine ports of entry.

For detailed information on the U.S. WHTI, visit the CBSA and Homeland Security Web Site.

NEXUS members using the air mode of transportation can enter Canada using the self-serve kiosks regardless of where they are arriving from. For example, a NEXUS member returning to Canada from overseas and arriving in Montréal can use the self-serve kiosk in Montréal.

What is the difference between CANPASS Air and NEXUS?

CANPASS Air is a CBSA program. This program enables members to cross the border faster when they arrive in Canada.

NEXUS is a binational program jointly administered by the CBSA and U.S. CBP. This program enables members to cross the border faster when travelling to Canada and the United States.

The self-serve kiosks located in the Canadian inspection services area are for use by both CANPASS Air members and NEXUS members, while the self-serve kiosks located in the U.S. preclearance area are to be used by NEXUS members only.

#13 Original J Mom

Original J Mom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

No need to worry. We traveled with three kids to Florida in March with BCs only. Domestic flights within the US do not require passports for children.

#14 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

Yeah, there should be no problem with kids and bc's only. We just got a guy on a power trip. We cross a lot and this is the first time anyone has ever said anything. I probably wouldn't even care to look into Nexus other than we do cross a lot just to visit family and it will expedite that process, so it will benefit us as a family, not just the baby.

#15 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

.... try crossing with Native step daughters!! LOL!! They can cross the border on only their treaty card until age 18!! LOL! That's always fun!! Just to be safe, I usually bring a print out of the rules showing that's allowed - just in case - LOL!!

#16 Aimster

Aimster

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

Well we went and got her passport expedited. Cost us more, but I didn't want any hassle. Just so you know, effective December 1st, you will be requiered to obtain the long form birth certificate in order to get your child's passport. They need documentation showing the names of the parents. Kind of glad I did it now.

#17 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

Well we went and got her passport expedited. Cost us more, but I didn't want any hassle. Just so you know, effective December 1st, you will be requiered to obtain the long form birth certificate in order to get your child's passport. They need documentation showing the names of the parents. Kind of glad I did it now.

So if we get a passport now for them, we'll just be able to renew and never have to obtain the long form? That's definitely worthwhile info. Thanks!

#18 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

So if we get a passport now for them, we'll just be able to renew and never have to obtain the long form? That's definitely worthwhile info. Thanks!

They may still ask you for it now, I got my kids a few years ago and they wouldn't give it to me without the long form

#19 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:18 PM

I wouldn't try it. My friend and I got reamed out yesterday because our babies did not have a Nexus card! We had passports, they had bc's, and we were crossing at the regular booths and the guy asked why we didn't have proper documentation for our babies. I said I thought that only a bc was required up to the age of 16 (which is the law), and he said yes but a Nexus card is better and safer and kept asking why we didn't have them. He did tell us that they were free for kids, which I didn't know. But seriously, he was on a power trip, hoping to make his own job easier down the road and not caring about the actual law. We cross a lot, so we probably will get Nexus cards soon, but the guy was just being ridiculous!

Ok, vent over. I think with the law being in place for so long, you're really asking for them to give you a hard time, especially if you're just going for dinner. Passports have been coming pretty quickly lately (like 1-2 weeks). You can also get them expedited, but they will call your references in that case and I'm pretty sure they would want a better reason than just going for dinner. He could also get an enhanced driver's licence, but I don't think it's any faster because there is an interview involved. I'd say get a passport and go for dinner in a couple weeks (to celebrate? lol). It's a pricey dinner, but worth not having the hassle.

You should have got his badge number and reported him.....children under the age of 16 DO NOT have to have a passport or Nexus card for land travel. AND nexus card is good ONLY if you have nothing to declare....so what good is it if you are shopping.

#20 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

I know someone who was turned away, you do need them, but I have heard of a couple people going through, special circumstances.... and depends on their mood, they can do whatever they want

#21 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

re: getting a passport for your kids before december....

dh & i just went to get our passports a couple days ago and were asking about this very thing (the long form bc issue) and apparently because we were married BEFORE the birth of our children, we do NOT have to provide the long form bc to get their passports, we can just use their current small ones. if we were married after their birth, in a common law relationship etc...i need to produce proof of parentage.

#22 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

Fast cards are for truck divers etc... b/c they cross all the time, Like the Nexas cards for regular people

You dont need a passport to fly from State to state...only if you are flying from out of country....but with that being said, sometimes they do give you a hard time when flying between states without a passport and you are not American..that is why my brother got his b/c he needed to fly for his work, always left from Detroit, he didnt want any hassles.

The EDL is different from the regular new drivers License...they look similar, but there are differences with them. You have to pay an extra $40 to get it and you can only get it downtown at the 400 building.

#23 mom2e

mom2e

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

You should have got his badge number and reported him.....children under the age of 16 DO NOT have to have a passport or Nexus card for land travel. AND nexus card is good ONLY if you have nothing to declare....so what good is it if you are shopping.

This is absolutely false. You can use a Nexus card if you have things to declare. YOU have to be the one to declare it though - You cannot wait for them to ask the question. ETA: That used to be the rule, but it is not anymore.
http://www.cbsa-asfc...-terre-eng.html

Edited by mom2e, 18 July 2011 - 06:42 PM.

#24 Aimster

Aimster

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

re: getting a passport for your kids before december....

dh & i just went to get our passports a couple days ago and were asking about this very thing (the long form bc issue) and apparently because we were married BEFORE the birth of our children, we do NOT have to provide the long form bc to get their passports, we can just use their current small ones. if we were married after their birth, in a common law relationship etc...i need to produce proof of parentage.

This is how it is currently. My friend never married the father of her son, so she was required last spring to provide the long form birth certificate. But effective December 1st (and I confirmed it with the passport office) every child will require a long form birth certificate showing the names of both parents. A regular birth certificate does not. It is also stated on the passport office website: http://www.ppt.gc.ca...2.aspx?lang=eng

#25 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:14 AM

My dd who is 16 and in CAS care told me she is going across the border with a note from CAS. She doesn't have a passport. I find that hard to believe. She says she's going sometime soon for shopping and Cedar Point.

#26 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:04 AM

She shoudl need one now that she is 16. However, not sure they can get her one, legalities. So it may be possible they write the letter. Not sure if it will suffice though.

#27 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

My dd who is 16 and in CAS care told me she is going across the border with a note from CAS. She doesn't have a passport. I find that hard to believe. She says she's going sometime soon for shopping and Cedar Point.

From the WATI web-site

Canadian citizens aged 15 years or under are only required to present proof of Canadian citizenship, such as an original or a photocopy of a birth certificate, or an original citizenship card, when entering the United States by land or water. Canadian citizens 18 years of age or under who are travelling with a school or other organized group, under adult supervision with parental/guardian consent, may also present proof of Canadian citizenship alone.

LINK TO SITE