21 replies to this topic

#1 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

Please move to appropriate forum if necessary..

OK, so I am going to be (cough......choke) 40 in just less than a week. I am really not "liking" it. I can't say I feel really old but, I am not happy with being 40.

I look at my station in life and how I feel and I get very depressed. My body has decided it hates me and is falling apart...both wrists, my hip, my upper GI tract, my back and my vision are all giving me issues right now. I don't "have" anything, I rent, the bank owns my car, I have NO money in the bank, no retirement. I can't even help my ODS out with gas money to get to his new job I'm so broke myself. (Heck I'm praying I have enough gas to get to work and home myself today!).

I'm just getting really depressed. I think I should go get another job but then I know I'd miss time with T. I know I'm making choices that keep me where I am financially. I try to tell myself I'm happier because I can see T more. I tell myself I can work more when he's a bit older. But Heck...*I'M* older now! How the heck am I going to work "that" hard in another 10yrs. I'll be 50 and my body will be totaled.

I just don't know. I am really just wondering how others felt turning 40 or so. I just feel so "old" right now. I don't even want to get out of bed and face the day most days.

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:55 AM

I'm 28 and I have the same feelings :s

#3 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:48 AM

I'm 57 and feeling like i'm falling apart most days. Most of it is due to stress. When i turned 40 i thought i was old, but looking back now i realize that it's just a number.
I have days when i feel 30, 40, 50. I would consider those my "good days". Hang in there :)
Lots of good days are still there for you.
:flower2

#4 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

I noticed a difference when pregnant at 38- it just wasn't as easy as the 1st time around.
But I think it is all a mental game. 40 is just a number
I feel your struggle everyday-- wanting to have more time with the kids, but needing to work to make ends meet. It really sucks and is not how it is supposed to be. It is unfortunate that we don't have more supports in place from the gov'n and employers. It makes me so angry because there is nothing I can do about it. But, at the end of the day, my most important job is raising my children- everything else is just a job

#5 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

IMO, you're as old as you feel!

#6 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

Old is always 15 years older than my current age :p

#7 Lesserri

Lesserri

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

lol @ kiana

My grandpa who is 79 had a bumper sticker that said ' I'm not old, I'm a recycled teenager' lol

Your always as old as you feel and Me at 27 my god, do i sometimes feel it, but usually with stress and exhaustion :)

#8 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

I like the quote, "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"

#9 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:52 PM

40 is not so bad. Make the most of life, you only have one.

#10 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:53 PM

My Gram is 93 years YOUNG and says that you are only one day of your life ... the day they write your obituary "John Smith was xx years OLD" ! ! !
She is 93 y/y and loves the internet, google, going out to lunch at least 3 times a week with my Aunt, she still has a drivers license and has been through a road test to make sure she was safe (and everyone else is). I figure if she doesn't complain, than why should I at 45. But I agree, there are some mornings my joints are making more snap, crackle, and pop than the cereal ! ! !

#11 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:14 AM

God once I hit 30 it felt like everything was going to go downhill from there. I think it was then that I noticed those little lines on my face, the guy at rge beer store stopped carding me and a night out took three days recover. You may feel 20, but your body will remind you (even if it is oh so subtle) of your real age. Anyway 40 is nothing, if Oprah says 50 is the new 20 than that makes you a tween :)

#12 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:30 AM

i am 43 and some days i feel 73
i have arthritis in my back hip hand and foot and some days it does take everything for me just to get out of bed
i remember being a kid and thinking omg 40 is so old but now i dont even think 60 is old lol
i think its how you feel and how you act like when i am hurting if i did stay in bed all day like i wanted i feel that would make me old

#13 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

Thanks Gals!

I've never before thought "geez I'm getting old" near my BD. I have always maintained I am 29 and holding LOL. I guess with everything else right now I'm just feeling it this year. I still cannot believe I am "middle age". Like Vals said, sometimes your body reminds you that you are not as spry as you used to be. My body has been telling me lately that it is nearing it's expiration date. I don't think I have 1 body system that is not having issues right now LOL.

That and my mom poked fun at me about being a gma! (Gee, thanks mom) I got her back though...reminded her she is a Great-gma now, and soon HER mom will meat her great-great-grandchild! LOL.

#14 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:01 AM

I have felt my ideal best at 40 and each year since I have better and happier. Now, at 45 I would say it is has been the best time of my life!! I hope to continue to say that every year. Full of confidence and completely happy is all it takes to feel your best at any age

#15 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

I'm one of those odd balls, i actually like being older ( Not that i'm that old, i'm gonna be 31 in august lol) But i agree, your only as old as you feel. I have many aches and pains, ive been told by many doctors my back is not the shape it should be for someone my age, so thats the only thing that is depressing. Look at some of the celebs out there. Some if not many, pull off age very nicely! 40 in my opinion is still very young.

#16 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

I think if we were all more in shape that we would all feel younger. I definitely felt so much better physically, mentally, etc when I was able to be more active. I need to really fit that into my life regularly again, and not just when I think about it. Things have really changed around here, but that shouldn't. Being in shape definitely helps the way you feel overall.

#17 Juxtapoz

Juxtapoz

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

I like the quote, "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"

cheers to that!

#18 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:50 AM

I am almost 42 and most days I dont feel it!

#19 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

I was wondering about that myself.....when do I stop covering up the greys and accept the fact that I am old?

#20 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

I was wondering about that myself.....when do I stop covering up the greys and accept the fact that I am old?

NEVER GO GREY!!

LOL...but, thankfully I don't have to worry about that for a little while yet. My mom didn't go grey until after her chemo. When her hair grew back she has a few grey streaks. My dad is still mostly dark hair. My family seems to hold their dark hair colour well.

#21 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

old is when i lose my boobs and they turn into sausages and hang out the bottom of my shirt...lol

oh and for teh record that never happened YET

#22 rwf05

rwf05

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

The age of old is the age of your parents, or the age they would be if the have passed on. So ummm technically your never old lol.