15 replies to this topic

#1 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

My daughters get canker sores quite regularly. I have asked my family doctor and the dentist and they have not provided anything that has alleviated the pain or the occurrence. I have had them rinse with salt water and the canker medicine that you can get over the counter is too painful when applied (I have tried it and it stings)
Any suggestions would be great.

#2 Ali

Ali

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:41 PM

We get them all the time and there really isn't anything that works all that well. All we have settled on is the grape Ambesol. It has to be the grape one, all the others do sting too much. Unfortunately, it doesn't last very long. We basically only put it on before we eat or brush are teeth and suffer through them the rest of the time :( I have not found a technique that cures them faster. They say salt water, tea bags and other things I've tried over the years but it doesn't help.

#3 one_new_mom

one_new_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

I get them from eating too much acidic foods, especially oranges and tomatoes.
Maybe cut those foods out and see if this works?

#4 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

I get them from eating too much acidic foods, especially oranges and tomatoes.
Maybe cut those foods out and see if this works?

Yes my girls know not to have oranges, tomatoes, pasta sauce. Thank you

#5 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

what about L-Lysine? It is an amino acid.I used it for cold sores. It helps them heal faster and after a few times of using it I never got as cold sore again. You can buy it in the herbal section in liquid form for kids.

Also vitamin C, usually canker sores are a sign of a weak immune system so a Vitamin C boost might help

#6 Ali

Ali

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

I looked up L-Lysine because I had never heard of it and found this

"While dietary supplements of L-lysine can be effective in treating cold sores/herpetic lesions,[34] there is no evidence of an impact on canker sores."

For me eating the least lit bit of pineapples gives me canker sores. Different foods react differently for different people. But for my dd, ds and I we usually get them when we accidentally bite our lip, cheek or tongue. Dr's usually just prescribe the green stuff to gargle with but it stings and isn't very helpful.

#7 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

I would give the lysine a shot anyways, if anything it will boost her immune system and that might help

#8 iluvmykid

iluvmykid

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:28 AM

I TOTALLY second the L-Lysine!

#9 Gemma2

Gemma2

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:21 AM

When my dd had them bad the Dr prescribed her liquid Lidocaine and I just applied it with a q-tip directly yo the cancker sore.

#10 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

My dd would get them really bad too(from about 12yrs-15yrs) to the point some of them were like deep holes. My dentist gave us a paste to use which helped her. At times we have also used Milk of Magnesia on them 4 times a day. My mom uses a rinse, which numbs her mouth for awhile and gives her some relief.Thankfully her flare ups are almost non-existant now. Hope your daughter feels better soon.

#11 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

I would give the lysine a shot anyways, if anything it will boost her immune system and that might help

Thanks I will check it out. I do wonder if they are lacking something? They eat a good mix from the food guide, but could be missing something.
Thanks

#12 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

Someone was telling me the other day about a toothpaste/canker sore connection. No idea if there's anything to it but maybe it wouldn't hurt to try picking up a natural brand from the health food store and using it for a month or two??

My link

#13 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

yes there is something called sodium laurel sulfate (sp?)in toothpaste that they say can cause them. I have been using a different toothpaste for quite some time now and yet they are still getting them. It really makes it difficult for the girls to eat, brush their teeth, and I can't floss their teeth when they have canker sores. They start getting them when they are around 3. It just plain sucks!

Edited by Momma4ever, 27 July 2011 - 06:13 PM.

#14 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

I got these ALL the time as a kid! I'd get them on my lower gum all in a row.. it wasn't uncommon for me to have 4 at a time all in the same basic locations. So painful! Kanka was the only thing that helped at all. It does sting, though, before it numbs it.

#15 Momma4ever

Momma4ever

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

I got these ALL the time as a kid! I'd get them on my lower gum all in a row.. it wasn't uncommon for me to have 4 at a time all in the same basic locations. So painful! Kanka was the only thing that helped at all. It does sting, though, before it numbs it.

My daughters get them in clusters as well. Never heard of Kanka, can I get it around here?

#16 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

Yes. Walmart or any pharmacy. It tastes pretty bad, but it numbs the area pretty well. It stings initially.. Not as much as the sores hurt, though! I always used to play with mine, and push on them with my tongue. I had some weird idea that it made them go away faster. I still tend to do it when I get the odd one. Weird what our brains become wired to do!