48 replies to this topic

#1 lyndz

lyndz

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:40 AM

What do you think about this? It's about time!!!

http://articles.nyda...ents-rick-scott

#2 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:53 AM

not all people on welfare take drugs i doubt its many
what i find worse is people popping out baby after baby if you cant afford them then dont have them
i think they should make it a requirement of getting welfare that if you get pregnant while you are on it you get cut off
there are too many career welfare recipients

#3 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

Had this convo on Fb and apparently my opinion is not very popular lol.

I dont agree with it. I fail to see how kicking people off of welfare because of drugs is going to help. What are these people supposed to do, live on the street? Guess what they will be doing on the street more drugs, and without a home or food or healthcare I think a lot will end up dead. Not to mention what if children are involved?
Popel on welfare are already having a hard time and feel down so lets degrade them more and make them feel more like garbage by subjecting them to drug tests.
More accessible drug treatment would make more sense to me

#4 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

Bah, drug testing AND removal of reproductive rights? Why don't we just move in with Big Brother, then?

#5 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

Bah, drug testing AND removal of reproductive rights? Why don't we just move in with Big Brother, then?

Exactly

#6 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

I dont agree with it. I fail to see how kicking people off of welfare because of drugs is going to help. What are these people supposed to do, live on the street? Guess what they will be doing on the street more drugs, and without a home or food or healthcare I think a lot will end up dead. Not to mention what if children are involved?
Popel on welfare are already having a hard time and feel down so lets degrade them more and make them feel more like garbage by subjecting them to drug tests.

I think there are too many people on welfare that use that as their job. If you are going to abuse the system and use the money that WE ALL pay in taxes to shoot up, then yes you should be kicked off the system. Sorry, but I don't agree with people using welfare as a crutch, and not trying to better themselves by getting a damn job. I would rather pay taxes that help people that need the help not people that are going to take my hard earned money and sniff it up their nose. If kids are involved, and they have druggie parents then maybe CAS should be stepping in and removing those children from the home. Welfare is only supposed to be a temporary thing, too many people use it as their full time job and that is wrong. If you genuinely need the help then great, if your just lazy and a drug addict then you don't need my money to help you support your habit..

#7 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

I think there are too many people on welfare that use that as their job. If you are going to abuse the system and use the money that WE ALL pay in taxes to shoot up, then yes you should be kicked off the system. Sorry, but I don't agree with people using welfare as a crutch, and not trying to better themselves by getting a damn job. I would rather pay taxes that help people that need the help not people that are going to take my hard earned money and sniff it up their nose. If kids are involved, and they have druggie parents then maybe CAS should be stepping in and removing those children from the home. Welfare is only supposed to be a temporary thing, too many people use it as their full time job and that is wrong. If you genuinely need the help then great, if your just lazy and a drug addict then you don't need my money to help you support your habit..

But banishing people to the streets because they can not afford to live is not going to solve the problem. Drug addiction is not that easy to just make go away. I honestly can see more drug issues coming form this on the streets and more homeless people. Which will still put a strain on society. I find the lack of compassion for someone with a disease saddening. I think a lot of people on welfare dont start off abusing it. But when you get into a rut and feel like nothing is going right it is security to you. Eventually it becomes all you know. I really think they should be instituting counseling and self esteem workshops in welfare not drug testing

#8 SourPickle

SourPickle

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

Yeah, exactly.

#9 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

But banishing people to the streets because they can not afford to live is not going to solve the problem. Drug addiction is not that easy to just make go away. I honestly can see more drug issues coming form this on the streets and more homeless people. Which will still put a strain on society. I find the lack of compassion for someone with a disease saddening. I think a lot of people on welfare dont start off abusing it. But when you get into a rut and feel like nothing is going right it is security to you. Eventually it becomes all you know. I really think they should be instituting counseling and self esteem workshops in welfare not drug testing

^ this... EXACTLY!!

We would get a whole lot further, as a society, if we had better funded programs to help people improve their lives, as opposed to just giving them the occasional hand out, or cutting them off!!

#10 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

I had an uncle who was a drug addict and it tore apart our family. So no, Im sorry I have zero compassion for drug addicts. I may be heartless for saying that but there are programs out there to help. They choose to not want the help. I saw what it did to my grandma and my dad everyday, I will never have pity on them for their choice to ruin other peoples lives. Why should hard working citizens have to fork out taxes for the welfare system just to have them turn around and shoot it up their arm? They should be using welfare as a temporary avenue until they find work. I do agree with you that counseling should be offered or even workshops for getting back into the workplace... but I still stand my ground on the drug testing. I also believe they should be sterilized so they stop having children that they can't pay for.

#11 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

Wow

#12 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

I also believe they should be sterilized so they stop having children that they can't pay for.

Oh wow seriously?! I guess that means I shouldn't have had my son. That is a great idea lets go back to the dark ages. Maybe we should start preforming lobotomies and lock people in institutions again too.

I am sorry by that thinking is just disgusting

#13 SourPickle

SourPickle

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of welfare recipients are, in fact, NOT addicted to drugs or alcohol. Various academic studies have shown this to be true.

I can't understand the reasoning behind denying people public assistance if they have drugs in their system. I mean, are they supposed to go live on the streets? The amount of money it would cost to test all these individuals could be spent on rehabilitation/prevention or education programs.

People addicted to drugs comprise a very vulnerable segment of the population, and denying them basic rights to housing, food, etc. is going to add further strain.

Many people that are addicts already have some sort of mental illness (diagnosed, or undiagnosed) and they may use drugs as a crutch in order to escape the reality that is their lives. I can't believe that so many people are not more compassionate. There is such a stigma associated with drug users, but I think in order to grow and prosper as a society, we need to realize that it is a disease.

There is a famous saying... "The measure of a civilization is how it treats its weakest members." Hmmmm... some food for thought. :)

#14 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of welfare recipients are, in fact, NOT addicted to drugs or alcohol. Various academic studies have shown this to be true.

I can't understand the reasoning behind denying people public assistance if they have drugs in their system. I mean, are they supposed to go live on the streets? The amount of money it would cost to test all these individuals could be spent on rehabilitation/prevention or education programs.

People addicted to drugs comprise a very vulnerable segment of the population, and denying them basic rights to housing, food, etc. is going to add further strain.

Many people that are addicts already have some sort of mental illness (diagnosed, or undiagnosed) and they may use drugs as a crutch in order to escape the reality that is their lives. I can't believe that so many people are not more compassionate. There is such a stigma associated with drug users, but I think in order to grow and prosper as a society, we need to realize that it is a disease.

There is a famous saying... "The measure of a civilization is how it treats its weakest members." Hmmmm... some food for thought. :)

THANK YOU!!!! Someone with some empathy for crying out loud!

Denying someone food and shelter seems like a slippery slope towards violation of their charter rights.

I agree most people with drug addiction have an underlying mental illness. Maybe we should think twice before throwing these people out on the street...or maybe we should sterilize them too :S

#15 lyndz

lyndz

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

I believe that welware should be a temporary thing, just like unemployment. There definitley should be some kind help for these people, but some of the people that are addicted to drugs don't want the help and enjoy collecting our money!!!

#16 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

I also believe they should be sterilized so they stop having children that they can't pay for.

Oh wow seriously?! I guess that means I shouldn't have had my son. That is a great idea lets go back to the dark ages. Maybe we should start preforming lobotomies and lock people in institutions again too.

Really Kris? You think its perfectly okay for people to have baby after baby after baby that they can't pay for?? Really? I wasn't even referring to you. I don't know your financial situation, but since we're on the topic, I do think people on welfare should stop having babies they can't pay for! My cousin is a prime example, she had 2 daughters, shes on welfare (and really doens't need to, she capable to work, just lazy), she can't afford to provide for them and CAS stepped in and removed them, she went and got her self knocked up for the third time... Another baby she can't afford! You are obviously providing for your children, don't think I ever said you weren't.

People get so bent outta shape and take stuff personal on this topic. I was not referring to you. I was talking about people ABUSING the welfare system. Not people who can provide for themselves or people using the welfare system who actually need it.... If people think its okay to barely be able to provide for themselves, then go out have have babies, then no I don't think they should be having babies. That is selfish.

#17 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

THANK YOU!!!! Someone with some empathy for crying out loud!

Denying someone food and shelter seems like a slippery slope towards violation of their charter rights.

I agree most people with drug addiction have an underlying mental illness. Maybe we should think twice before throwing these people out on the street...or maybe we should sterilize them too :S

I have empathy for people... look at my line of work! I have to be empathetic.. I don't, however, have empathy for drug users... It destroyed my family... This is a personal choice for me. I'm sorry. My grandmother and my father will never be the same because of what my uncle did to our family.. I can understand your POV on it, but this is a really sore spot for some people. I never once said to kick them out on the street, there are other choices out there.... Fund programs to get them the help they need to be valued members of society, give them career training... Provide clothing for job interviews... there are other options. I don't ever think anyone should be kicked out on the street, but I also don't think people should be using welfare as a free ride

#18 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

Really Kris? You think its perfectly okay for people to have baby after baby after baby that they can't pay for?? Really? I wasn't even referring to you. I don't know your financial situation, but since we're on the topic, I do think people on welfare should stop having babies they can't pay for! My cousin is a prime example, she had 2 daughters, shes on welfare (and really doens't need to, she capable to work, just lazy), she can't afford to provide for them and CAS stepped in and removed them, she went and got her self knocked up for the third time... Another baby she can't afford! You are obviously providing for your children, don't think I ever said you weren't.

People get so bent outta shape and take stuff personal on this topic. I was not referring to you. I was talking about people ABUSING the welfare system. Not people who can provide for themselves or people using the welfare system who actually need it.... If people think its okay to barely be able to provide for themselves, then go out have have babies, then no I don't think they should be having babies. That is selfish.

My point is that if you go sterilizing people what happens when they get off welfare and can never have another child. I used myself as an example because if that was the case I would never have my daughter when I was off of welfare.
This is dangerous thinking that has caused a lot of vulnerable populations a lot hardships in the past.

I dont know your cousin but if her kids were taken away more was going on than just her sitting on welfare. People seem to think oyu are rich on welfare....so not true it is a daily struggle to make the bills and rent and food that beats you down and makes oyu feel like less of a person and less of a parent (not saying people are who are on welfare just speaking about how it makes some people feel)

#19 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:11 PM

I had an uncle who was a drug addict and it tore apart our family. So no, Im sorry I have zero compassion for drug addicts. I may be heartless for saying that but there are programs out there to help. They choose to not want the help. I saw what it did to my grandma and my dad everyday, I will never have pity on them for their choice to ruin other peoples lives. Why should hard working citizens have to fork out taxes for the welfare system just to have them turn around and shoot it up their arm? They should be using welfare as a temporary avenue until they find work. I do agree with you that counseling should be offered or even workshops for getting back into the workplace... but I still stand my ground on the drug testing. I also believe they should be sterilized so they stop having children that they can't pay for.

I sincerely hope your son is never an addict because guess what your uncle was which means its in your genes. It has very little to do with how you are raised.

Why not sterilize everyone then. I know more people on welfare that have too many kids that they can't afford and neglect.

and you don't get more money the more kids you have. You get a certain amount according to your rent amount and personal needs allowance. Which is less than 400 a mth. There are more people on welfare that are trying to get off than abuse it. You just hear more about people that do.

#20 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

My point is that if you go sterilizing people what happens when they get off welfare and can never have another child. I used myself as an example because if that was the case I would never have my daughter when I was off of welfare.
This is dangerous thinking that has caused a lot of vulnerable populations a lot hardships in the past.

I dont know your cousin but if her kids were taken away more was going on than just her sitting on welfare. People seem to think oyu are rich on welfare....so not true it is a daily struggle to make the bills and rent and food that beats you down and makes oyu feel like less of a person and less of a parent (not saying people are who are on welfare just speaking about how it makes some people feel)

Yes, there was a lot more going on to have them removed, but financially not being able to provide was part of it... Again, talking about the people who abuse the systems, they are the ones that are on welfare for life.. Not the temporary people who are using it til they find a job... Most of the times, the ones who have baby after babyafter baby have been on welfare for sometime. My cousin has been on it since she was 20, she is now 29, her mother has been on it since I was born 28 years ago... Its just the domino affect.

I didn't mean to offend you, but my point was not aimmed at people who are using welfare to help, it was aimed at those who use it as their full time job.

#21 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

I am not taking it as a personal thing aimed towards me. I am secure in the choices I have made and what I believed was best for my family.

I am speaking more from a professional standpoint

#22 SourPickle

SourPickle

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

I sincerely hope your son is never an addict because guess what your uncle was which means its in your genes. It has very little to do with how you are raised.

Why not sterilize everyone then. I know more people on welfare that have too many kids that they can't afford and neglect.

and you don't get more money the more kids you have. You get a certain amount according to your rent amount and personal needs allowance. Which is less than 400 a mth. There are more people on welfare that are trying to get off than abuse it. You just hear more about people that do.

This. Welfare abuse is sensationalized. I think it was Ronald Regan that had the whole speech about the "Welfare Queen" which has totally stigmatized anyone who receives public assistance.

The welfare rates in Ontario are very low, below the poverty line, and barely cover the basic necessities. I think there is a big misconception that welfare is "glamorous" or it's just easy livin'. However, this is the total opposite, and many families have to decide, food or rent? I can't fathom being in that position, nor do I think that anyone really wants to be in that position.

People will often tell welfare recipients to "go out and get a job", however it's not that easy. There are so few good paying jobs, especially in Windsor. The job situation is very precarious at the moment, as there are many places that only hire temp. workers. How is someone supposed to have financial stability if they are in jeopardy of loosing their job every few months. Our minimum wage is NOT a living wage. Believe me, I live in Toronto, which is a high cost of living area. People often have to hold down several jobs to just pay the rent. On top of that, it is hard to get childcare subsidy, and daycare is just far to expensive for many people to afford.

I am of the opinion that most people do not abuse the welfare system, and if people continue to bear children, even while still on welfare, how is that anyone's business? Contrary to popular belief, most of our tax dollars are NOT being spent on social assistance, it is roughly 6%.

I am surprised at some of the attitudes displayed here. We, as Canadians call ourselves a progressive and tolerant country, however, some of the opinions expressed are certainly NOT progressive or tolerant.

#23 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

This. Welfare abuse is sensationalized. I think it was Ronald Regan that had the whole speech about the "Welfare Queen" which has totally stigmatized anyone who receives public assistance.

The welfare rates in Ontario are very low, below the poverty line, and barely cover the basic necessities. I think there is a big misconception that welfare is "glamorous" or it's just easy livin'. However, this is the total opposite, and many families have to decide, food or rent? I can't fathom being in that position, nor do I think that anyone really wants to be in that position.

People will often tell welfare recipients to "go out and get a job", however it's not that easy. There are so few good paying jobs, especially in Windsor. The job situation is very precarious at the moment, as there are many places that only hire temp. workers. How is someone supposed to have financial stability if they are in jeopardy of loosing their job every few months. Our minimum wage is NOT a living wage. Believe me, I live in Toronto, which is a high cost of living area. People often have to hold down several jobs to just pay the rent. On top of that, it is hard to get childcare subsidy, and daycare is just far to expensive for many people to afford.

I am of the opinion that most people do not abuse the welfare system, and if people continue to bear children, even while still on welfare, how is that anyone's business? Contrary to popular belief, most of our tax dollars are NOT being spent on social assistance, it is roughly 6%.

I am surprised at some of the attitudes displayed here. We, as Canadians call ourselves a progressive and tolerant country, however, some of the opinions expressed are certainly NOT progressive or tolerant.

Where is that damn like button!
I ♥ you!

#24 SourPickle

SourPickle

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

Where is that damn like button!
I ♥ you!

What can I say? Great minds think alike :D

#25 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

I never said you did get more money the more kids you have. And I also seriously hope that my son isn't an addict, although I don't believe it is soley based on genetics alone.. there are other environmental factors considered.... None the less, Im not looking to change anyones views or opinions on the subject. I have stated my pov, and I do believe drug testing is a good thing.

#26 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

I don't care if they drug test Welfare recipients. People who have JOBS have to get drug tests, depending on the profession. Why should Welfare people be exempt from it??

#27 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:55 PM

I don't care if they drug test Welfare recipients. People who have JOBS have to get drug tests, depending on the profession. Why should Welfare people be exempt from it??

I agree. And just to ad on to what someone else said, the government is not paying for the tests... the welfare recipients are, and once they pass they are reimbursed the cost of the test.

#28 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

But if they past the test than the government is paying for it since they have to reimburse the welfare recipient. I wonder though to how they expect people to pay for this test. I mean they are applying for welfare which means they have no money!

#29 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

as with anything out there - a few rotten apples spoils it for the rest!! As I'd mentioned way back when, I grew up on welfare. Single mom was raising two girls. She didn't have her high school and couldn't get better than secretary jobs. She busted her ass and finally managed to get us out of the "ghetto" we were living in. The people I lived near, all on welfare, were too afraid of change to try to get off the system. Life had dealt them a raw deal and they lived in fear.

**like** button too!!! Very well said!! Thank you!! Especially the last line!!

Just in my experience, jobs that have drug testing typically carry really high risks if the employee is high (i.e. truck drivers, or those who carry high fiduciary responsibility)... a retail employee, office worker, even factory workers are not subject to drug testing.... so why should these people on welfare, who in MANY cases have been beaten down enough be humiliated any further?!?!

#30 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

I am totally fine with them wanting to do this. I'm sorry but as others have said - I don't need my tax dollars going to fund someones drug habit - whom in many instances - are sacrificing things their families truly need in order to feed a habit.

Do I agree with throwing someone out on the street? No -- so maybe solution is welfare applicants have to test. If they screen positive, they are put on a 30 or 60 day notice. Either come back, re-test clean or welfare is cut off.

To me, if you dont want to clean yourself up, then you will need to find some other way to pay for your drugs. Our tax dollars can be better spent.

#31 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

People will often tell welfare recipients to "go out and get a job", however it's not that easy. There are so few good paying jobs, especially in Windsor. The job situation is very precarious at the moment, as there are many places that only hire temp. workers. How is someone supposed to have financial stability if they are in jeopardy of loosing their job every few months. Our minimum wage is NOT a living wage.

give me a break many people are out there doing exactly that and working damn hard to make ends meet and seriously that is a total insult to them to suggest you might as well be on welfare instead of actually working for your money

there are jobs out there and people on welfare need to go out and get a job
so what if its only a part time job at least they are working and its less money the taxpayers have to fork out
they should be doing something to contribute to their finances besides sitting on their ass and collecting money that other people are out their busting their asses to earn

#32 SourPickle

SourPickle

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

People will often tell welfare recipients to "go out and get a job", however it's not that easy. There are so few good paying jobs, especially in Windsor. The job situation is very precarious at the moment, as there are many places that only hire temp. workers. How is someone supposed to have financial stability if they are in jeopardy of loosing their job every few months. Our minimum wage is NOT a living wage.

give me a break many people are out there doing exactly that and working damn hard to make ends meet and seriously that is a total insult to them to suggest you might as well be on welfare instead of actually working for your money

so what if its only a part time job at least they are working and its less money the taxpayers have to fork out
they should be doing something to contribute to their finances besides sitting on their ass and collecting money that other people are out their busting their asses to earn

I never once said that it was better to stay on welfare, I simply stated that many jobs are temporary, which is not providing any stability for people. Furthermore, I also stated that Ontario's minimum wage is not a living wage, it's a poverty wage. How are people supposed to make ends meet on $10/hr? Last time I checked, prices for food, gas, utilities etc. were not going down, they are going up. Does this justify people getting welfare for this reason? No. But maybe people shouldn't pass judgement on those who are on public assistance. And, for the record, I am NOT on welfare, but I have worked with many families in Toronto that received welfare, and most of them were not able to get a job due to many reasons (recent immigrants and English is their second language, no Canadian work experience, drug and mental health issues etc.).

You state that all of your tax dollars are going towards people sitting on welfare, but you can look it up, and roughly 6% of Ontario's total expenditure goes towards social assistance. Personally, I think that people's anger towards welfare recipients is a little misguided (not YOU in particular, but people in general). I am more angry at the corporate welfare that our gov't seems to love handing out.

I am going to stop here, as this is totally digressing from the original topic :)

#33 Spanky2

Spanky2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

I've been involved with drug testing in an employment situation (I was not being tested!). In Ontario it's very complicated, requiring more than one doctor to review the results. It's not just peeing in a cup and testing for drugs. Lots of people are on prescription drugs such as oxycontin under the supervision of a doctor. My point is just that drug testing is a process, not just a one time result. Sometimes I've wondered if it was more trouble than it was worth. What about the rumored herbs one can take to " beat" the test?

#34 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

The other problem these people face is the medical/drug coverage... if they're social assistance gets clawed back for working a part time job, they also lose their medical/prescription coverage completely... and while yes there are "some" programs to pick up the slack (like free dental check ups for kids)... one round of the flu going through the neighbourhood is all it takes for them to get knocked back down and face even larger debts!!

As a whole, I do not believe that drug-testing welfare recipients, as a condition of getting their cheques will be as productive as the fat cats had planned for it...... let's say 100 people get "kicked out" for testing positive - do they have the means or even the knowledge to attempt to dispute it? Where do they go, the homeless shelters which are already often operating at or over capacity? What happens if they have children - are they taken away if there is a false positive, but mom only has a grade 9 education (if that) and does not know that she would have the opportunity to dispute the false positive? We could go on and on and on about this.... The only people that this would "effectively" weed out are such a small number, that there is a huge potential for way too many people to be hurt by this, rather than helped by this.

Instead of wasting the money for they would spend on the drug testing, then reporting, and staff..... would it not make more sense to do something like implement mandatory counselling to get the process started to build up their esteem and get them off welfare?!

You teach them to be "productive members of society" and now you have someone who can effectively care for themselves and their families, and now they are contributing to the tax coffers!! In the end, it is conceivable that it would be much more profitable to counsel them, help them, as compared to just painting them all with the same "loser" brush and kicking them out of the program!!!!!

Edited by cbarker78, 29 July 2011 - 09:40 AM.

#35 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

It should be a tool to help the people...if they test positive then they should have to go to rehab...b/c there is no way they will get a job if they are a junkie...b/c the job will require one as well. Rehab should be a requirement..and if that means they have to be put into institutions to get clean then so be it.

Kicking them off will just lead to higher crime rates..b/c a junkie will need his fix and do what ever it takes to get the money to get the fix.

As far as birth control..I am all for that....sorry but if I am supporting you and your child you should not be having any more children...there are too many women who go on welfare and have child after child. Accidents do happen, but not as much as people want you to believe. Just b/c you can have a child doesnt mean you should...it is a privilege not a right, it should be something that is cherished and not something that you do b/c you can. And if a women gets pregnant while on welfare then there should be things she then needs to do... finish school if she hasnt, get training for a job, get at least a part time job... you dont get to sit around until your child starts school. I was floored when I went on it for a brief time and they required me to do nothing b/c I had a baby...there are plenty of things I could have done.