21 replies to this topic

#1 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

So seriously pondering going the lacto-ovo vegetarian route for a month to see how it goes.Ive been having too many health problems,and essentially want to eat clean,but due to other health issues..will keep eggs and dairy in there(the brewer diet is good for high blood pressure)
I also REFUSE to touch or use soy,as I feel it isnt very healthy for the human body,after doing much research....Im steadfast on no soy...so what can i use as a protein instead of soy???

A friend of mine...shes known as the skinny witch,helps others lose weight by putting them on a vegan program.Now vegan I wont do...but she makes things that look like meat out of seitan???

Love to hear others journeys,and what worked for them.I wont be including my kids in this,as I feel this needs to be their personal choice when they are old enough to do it,but I wont have an issue doing meatless nights with them,which weve been doing once a week at least.

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

I have a friend who hasn't eaten meat her whole life. I'll ask her for you :)

#3 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

in the mean time... I'm limited in my meat consumption to only chiken, so what I have been using is eggs, cheese, yogurt, milk and protein powder (bulk barn :))

#4 EmnMs

EmnMs

mmmmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

pea protein, hemp protein, rice protein....

also- seitan...is soy based. I do a lot of dairy/soy free cooking and baking- we're not vegetarian but I've got some great recipes and resources. I do sometimes do vegan or vegetarian recipes but we don't follow the lifestyle.

Edited by EmnMs, 29 July 2011 - 09:53 PM.

#5 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

Off the top of my head, beans are the #1 way to get protein in your diet, a much better source even than meat in many cases. Hummus, chili, mixed in soups, in salad, there are so many ways I've learned to use beans since going vegetarian. Lentils are good as well. There is protein in grains, veggies, nuts, lots of places you wouldn't think of because we're so used to thinking you have to get protein from meat. Another interesting tidbit I've come across more than once is that most N. Americans have an excess of protein in your diet, which is often just as bad as not having enough. When I have more time tomorrow I will dig up more info. on sources for protein in a meatless diet.

#6 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

Oops, forgot about your seitan question. Seitan is made from wheat gluten and various seasonings. It's often flavoured with soy sauce or tamari (soy product), but it can easily be made at home without any soy flavourings and then it would be completely soy free. If you make seitan with a yummy broth and then flavour it with worsteshire (sp?) sauce and barbecue sauce it comes out tasting remarkably like buffalo wings.

#7 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

I googled "protein for vegetarians" and came up with a lot of ideas. This has a list of things (including tofu and soy - just skip those)

http://vegetarian.ab.../tp/protein.htm

#8 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

I googled "protein for vegetarians" and came up with a lot of ideas. This has a list of things (including tofu and soy - just skip those)

http://vegetarian.ab.../tp/protein.htm

Good link. I forgot all about quinoa.

Just as an example of protein content:

2 oz. ground beef - 10.6mg
2 oz. chicken 17.9mg
1 cup garbanzo beans/chickpeas - 14.5mg
1 cup lentils - 17.9mg
1/4 cup almonds - 7.5mg
1/4 cup sunflower seeds - 8.1mg
1 oz. chia seeds - 4g
1/2 cup oatmeal or quinoa - 3mg
1/4 cup whole wheat flour - 4.1mg
1/2 cooked whole barley 3.7mg
1 cup raw broccoli - 2.6mg
1/2 cup cooked corn 2.7mg
1 mdm baked sweet potato - 2mg
1 orange or banana - 1.2mg

If you are including eggs and dairy still and are eating a balanced diet with lots of veggies, whole grains, nuts and beans/lentils you should have no problem meeting protein requirements. An egg has approx. 6.3mg of protein and 1/2 cup of cow's milk has 4.1mg.

I've read that protein requirements per day are roughly 40-55g/day for women (more protein needed the more you weigh). The nice thing about getting protein from beans, grains, nuts, seeds, veggies, etc. is that you still get protein but you get all the other goodness in those things like fibre, antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals, etc.

#9 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

Quinoa is hands down my favourite protein - I don't do much soy, or gluten so I tend to stay away from a lot of the "meat" products and tend to eat more beans and lentil type things.

Good Luck!

#10 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

My bad, the chart above should have had amounts in grams, not mg. So beef has 10.6 g, chicken 17.9 g, etc.

#11 EmnMs

EmnMs

mmmmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

totally forgot to mention Quinoa!! such a super food!

#12 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

A friend of mine back home has gone vegan...and Im using her as an example.She runs a home business service called the skinny witch

http://www.facebook....186266048065564

Ive been totally enamoured of the yummy things she makes that are vegan!!!even cheesy pizza(thanks to a product called dariys or something like that)

#13 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:23 PM

Since I've gone vegetarian I've lost 10 lbs. (actually 15, but I lost 10 after going vegetarian and before starting to work out and the other 5 after starting to workout), have learned to cook many new meals from scratch, and have overall just been paying more attention to what I eat and as a result have been eating much healthier. My mom's place is a minefield of unhealthy snack food and whenever I go there with the kids I almost always succumb to the junk food there and feel cruddy afterwards as a result.

I have very little willpower, so I find by stocking my fridge and cupboards with only healthy ingredients I will happily eat a plate of veggies for a snack instead of a bag of chips. I have stuck to my vegetarian eating for about 3 months now and have no problem with willpower there surprising as I thought I would have a tough time giving up meat, but when it comes to snack food I'm not as strong as I should be if it's readily available.

#14 EmnMs

EmnMs

mmmmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:27 PM

Daiya is the cheese you're talking about , you can buy it at the Super Store in cheddar or mozzarella {it's not really cheese, it's rice based } but it melts and stretches just like regular cheese- I make ds pizza with it all the time now and even ham and cheese melts [but you could use it for grilled cheese].

I also use Earth's Balance "butter" - the soy free one, for ds and it's great and I actually don't mind the taste.

#15 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:36 PM

Daiya is the cheese you're talking about , you can buy it at the Super Store in cheddar or mozzarella {it's not really cheese, it's rice based } but it melts and stretches just like regular cheese- I make ds pizza with it all the time now and even ham and cheese melts [but you could use it for grilled cheese].

I also use Earth's Balance "butter" - the soy free one, for ds and it's great and I actually don't mind the taste.

yes..thats it!i saw its at zehrs and a few other places here as well...my friend uses earth balance and says its good.I bought vegan becel..its pretty okay,but of course...soy..lol

#16 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:35 PM

I've tried rice cheese, not sure which brand, and it was okay. Dd liked it though. The Earth Balance butter though I am totally sold on and will definitely buy again when the stuff I have runs out. I LOVE real butter and this stuff is tasty enough for me to happily give up real butter. I've also tried Vegannaise and it's pretty good. Tofurky lunchmeat is yuck imo, but my kids and I really like the Tofurkey sausages. I've tried Gimme Lean "ground beef" and it's okay, but it has a bit of a weird aftertaste to it. I'm trying to stay away from a bunch of prepackaged fake meats and such, but they are very handy to use for in a pinch for meals once a week or so.

#17 EmnMs

EmnMs

mmmmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

if you're avoiding soy and soy by-products, you won't be buying the fake meats ...as its all soy protein . I have yet to find one that isn't soy protein! If you're just doing vegetarian and will still consume eggs, you can get Helmans olive oil mayo if you still want that, and also Renees salade dressings make great dips and they're soy and dairy free [and gluten and nut free too!] so if you're headed to a party and want to contribute a dip, or even bring one for yourself- they're a great option.

If your super store has a natural food section- take time to go through it. You'll do lots of label reading, but there are lots of prodcuts that will suit your vegetarian lifestyle [as well as other specialty food needs] . I buy my Earth Balance at our local natural store [Nature's Emporium] because the local super store doesn't sell the soy free one, [in the red container]

you'll notice your grocery bill goes up in price when you start buying these products...but if that's the lifestyle you're trying to explore- you'll have to expect that.

#18 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:56 AM

Oh I miss natures emporium!We need something like that here,or a bit carrot common,or whole foods.Someone want to open one up???LOL
I will probably end up having soy just out of sheer desire to eat things with a bit of substance to them......but since soy is a natural anticlotting agent...whether I hate it or not,i must keep its numbers low in my diet so I dont bleed out.
I may try to make seitan so I will have something meaty...my friends recipes are pretty tasty

#19 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

Oh I miss natures emporium!We need something like that here,or a bit carrot common,or whole foods.Someone want to open one up???LOL
I will probably end up having soy just out of sheer desire to eat things with a bit of substance to them......but since soy is a natural anticlotting agent...whether I hate it or not,i must keep its numbers low in my diet so I dont bleed out.
I may try to make seitan so I will have something meaty...my friends recipes are pretty tasty

We have one it's called enrichee behind silver city

#20 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

If your super store has a natural food section- take time to go through it. You'll do lots of label reading, but there are lots of prodcuts that will suit your vegetarian lifestyle [as well as other specialty food needs] . I buy my Earth Balance at our local natural store [Nature's Emporium] because the local super store doesn't sell the soy free one, [in the red container]

you'll notice your grocery bill goes up in price when you start buying these products...but if that's the lifestyle you're trying to explore- you'll have to expect that.

I'll have to pay more attention next time I buy Earth Balance because I don't think I got the soy-free kind. I'm not anti-soy, but I still try not to have too much of it, so a soy-free option is nice to have.

I find the veganaisse, rice cheese, earth balance butter, etc. to be more expensive than reg. grocery items, but I find I'm also saving money by buying more grains, beans, and lentils instead of meat and other prepackaged stuff, so although my first couple grocery bills after going vegetarian were about $50 higher than they normally are because I was stocking up on pantry staples like nuts and flours, after that they went back to the normal amount that they were before I went vegetarian.

#21 EmnMs

EmnMs

mmmmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

yes Earth's Balance has a few different varieties- but only one is soy free :-) I think there's a yellow lable, green lable, and red lable [red is soy free]

Definitely ends up about the same when you're not having to get the specialty things on a reg. basis, but Daiya is in my cart every week! Also- milks, beware of almond milk if you're avoiding soy- a lot of them, contain soy. Ds can't have it , for that reason. We do enriched rice milk, but there are many choices of plant based milks but they can be pricey. I'd love to try Oat milk for my little man, but it's REALLY expensive compared to his rice milk so I haven't tried it yet.

We also do Agave nectar inplace of white sugar in some recipes- great way to cut out refined sugars. Coconut water and milk is a great way to sweeten things up as well!

#22 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

I make my own almond milk. I soak about 1/2 cup of almonds in water overnight, drain the soak water, then throw them in my blender with 5-7 cups of water. I blend it up until it seems pretty smooth, strain it through cheesecloth into a pitcher, then pour the strained milk back into the blender, add a few dates for sweetness, and blend again until smooth. Then strain one more time and it's good to go. The whole process takes about 5 mins. and since I can get a big bag of almonds at Costco for $10 and I can make many batches of almond milk out of that bag, it's very economical.