19 replies to this topic

#1 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

I'm registered for St. Clair this September =) Part of me is super psyched, the other is super nervous. Its been so long since iv'e been in school and never with two very active kids. I'm worried i will never get any studying done lol. And with EI paying for it, i have to make sure my grades are steller.

#2 SourPickle

SourPickle

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

It's a juggling act. Some days are more stressful than others, particularly when there are a million things due all at once, or during finals. :hair

I make sure to NEVER get behind in my readings and assignments. I study every single night, starting at 7pm until about 10pm (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on how much work I have that week). DH puts all the children to bed for me, which makes my life MUCH easier, and gives me that time I need before it gets too late, and I get too tired.

I make special time for the children - for example, I don't even look at any books Friday night and Saturday night, as that is my "family time".

As for housework - well, I find if I just keep up with little bits all week, then it doesn't become a daunting task to do a major clean. DH helps out TONS.

I'm really lucky that University is flexible, as I never have classes on Fridays. For example, last semester I only had classes three days a week (about 18 hours of lectures/labs per week). Those days off gave me a lot of extra time to study, or do groceries, clean the house etc.
What helps me is writing a list of everything that I need to accomplish during the week, and following as best as I can. My two older children go to school all day, and the baby goes to daycare three times a week. I get to play with the children from after school until bedtime, and then I hit the books. Some days it takes a little more motivation than others. :wacko:

I'm finally in my last year (applying to Grad school... woohooo!!). It has been hard work, sometimes wonderful and sometimes stressful... but TOTALLY worth it!!! :)

GOOD LUCK!!!

ETA: It may be overwhelming in the beginning, but you'll fall into a routine before you know it. :)

Edited by SourPickle, 30 July 2011 - 09:10 PM.

#3 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:19 PM

so happy for you jen
wishing the best year ever
and praying for you to
so happy that EI is paying for you to
what are you talking
hugs

#4 zerodog

zerodog

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:06 PM

DEMAND that your husband and children pitch in. Don't even make it a choice. Put up a chore list that everyone has to follow, with the clear consequence that family time/special outings will not happen until the chores and/or Mommy's homework is done. I found my husband and children were only too happy to sit back and let me do EVERYTHING (school, full-time job, housework, childcare, etc.) so I really had to crack the whip and start removing privileges for all three of them.

#5 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:48 AM

What did you end up deciding on Jen? I give anyone who goes to school full time while raising a family lots of credit! I am almost done a summer online course, and it's been a struggle to keep up (and I only have 1 nine month old, and it's online!). I try to do the work during his naps and when he's sleeping at night. My husband does a lot around the house. I think you have an advantage since your girls are in school all day. You won't be in class ALL the time, so make good use of your breaks, possibly days off (not as much at the college, but maybe you'll have a day with not much going on), and time when you get home before the kids. And for sure make everyone help out. You're doing this FOR your family, so they can help out AS a family. Good luck!

#6 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:21 AM

after they went to bed is when I got 99% of my stuff done. I recopied all my notes out side while they were playing in the yard. they just understood after a few days that you don't bug mommy when she has her books out. After a while they started to "study" along with me. It was not only super cute but totaly prepared the older one for school in september! He did great he knew he had to do his "studying". You'll not only be doing it for you but you'll be modeling to them good study practices.

#7 lainey79

lainey79

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

Where do you find information about how to go back to school through EI? I've been thinking about doing this for a little bit now but have no idea where to begin!

#8 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

The first month or so so was a bit stressful with getting everyone into a routine and having them realize that I am not going to be doing everything for them. You will figure your own routine and it will be much easier than. I tried to do my studying and homework in the few hours I had between school and picking up dd from daycare. Housework was done a little a day so I would not be overwhelmed with mess. Dh was not much help since he works midnights. I am happy I have 4 days left!

Good luck! You can do it!

#9 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

Time management is definately going to be key.

Good luck hun!

#10 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

Where do you find information about how to go back to school through EI? I've been thinking about doing this for a little bit now but have no idea where to begin!

Have you contacted EI and asked them? Or check out their website?

#11 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

good for you jenn! you will do great!!

#12 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

All that info is on the Service Canada website.

Congrats, I too am heading back to school in the fall and nervous about juggling everything. It will be two learning experiences :)

#13 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

I too am heading back to school in the fall and nervous about juggling everything. It will be two learning experiences :)

thats for sure!

Edited by murkywaters, 31 July 2011 - 01:43 PM.

#14 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:09 PM

I attended the Assessment Center on Ouellette Avenue and went from there. I'm taking Office Administration-Legal ( Law Clerk)

#15 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

Demand team work, make a schedule, stick to it. At first I actually allotted time to certain activities, and I would not deviate from it. I definitely included time to relax in there too. I have a huge wall calendar which helps me to remember when bills are due, when assignments are due, etc. EVERYTHING went on the schedule. I even factored in study time when I had a test coming.

Organization and determination are absolutely key.

#16 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

Jen how long is your program?

#17 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

Jen how long is your program?

2 years

#18 DoubleD

DoubleD

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

It's hard, sometimes harder than I thought. It takes a lot of support and team work, and a lot of letting things go that you wouldn't have before. In the end it gets done and you get through it.

#19 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

Well, I was lucky. I had only 1 child at the time. the first year I lived with my dad. He worked midnights so, ODS was in daycare while I was at school. My dad got up shortly after we got home. He would make dinner for us most of the time and he did most of the "housework" too. All I had to do around the house then was help clean up supper and keep my and ODS things tidy. He even watched ODS often so I could do what I needed to do. Or even just to get me out of the house now and then.

Second year I moved in with my fiance at the time. ODS was in daycare. My "average" day was something like this....

5-6am get up. get me ready to go, get ODS up then get Rob up. Be ready to leave around 6:45-7am. Take ODS to daycare then off to school. One of us would pick ODS up, depending on my schedule. Home to make dinner, usually with Rob's help. Then he cleaned up dinner while I played with ODS. ODS to bed around 7-8pm then start studying. Bed 11-12. Weekends were for "housework". We spent most weekends home so we could catch up from the week. OH, I was also planning my wedding that year too. so, often time between school and dinner was spent running around doing that LOL.

Again, I was lucky. I had family/friends who were more than willing to help out whenever I needed it. Often ODS would spend a night or a weekend at his grandparents' homes so I could get what I needed to done. But, Still, I was on the go from 7-11 daily through the school year. Summer off was Wonderful!
Good Luck! Just insist on everybody doing their share. Don't be afraid to say "sorry, I just can't do that I have school work to do".

#20 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

Best of luck!!!

I can remember my mom went back to school part time the same year I started high school... and graduated the same year I graduated from College!! She held a degree in Psych and a degree is SW...

She would put a sign up on the computer room door when she was studying... and god help the kid that dared disturb her!! LOL!! She made it very clear to us that we were old enough to be more self-sufficient, and that helping out around the house was non-optional. There would still be the times when we'd be making too much noise and she'd come out and kick us out of the house for the afternoon, or yell for us to do something quieter.. but all in all, I learned to have mad-respect for this woman who busted her ass to make our lives better :)