8 replies to this topic

#1 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

Last weekend, Alix Genter found the perfect wedding dress. But on Tuesday, the store's owner called and refused to sell it to her.

"She said she wouldn't work with me because I'm gay," Genter told The Philadelphia Daily News. "She also said that I came from a nice Jewish family, and that it was a shame I was gay. She said, 'There's right, and there's wrong. And this is wrong.' "

Apparently, after Genter left Here Comes the Bride, a Somers Point, New Jersey, wedding boutique, the store's owner, Donna Saber, took a moment to look over Genter's customer-information sheet. That's when she noticed that Genter had crossed out "groom" and written in "partner" and her fiancee's name—and decided that she wasn't going to do business with her.

In a voice mail Saber told Genter, "what you are describing in this paperwork here is illegal" and "we do not participate in any illegal actions." But it looks like Saber isn't much of a legal eagle: New Jersey allows civil unions, and Genter and her longtime partner planned to marry in New York, where gay marriage was recently legalized. Furthermore, in New Jersey, it is against the law to refuse to buy from, sell to, contract or otherwise do business with an individual because of the individual's sexual orientation, according to the state's Attorney General office—which means that Saber did participate in an illegal action after all, just not the one she incorrectly accused her customer of planning.

Also, the irony: Some of the most popular wedding dress designers out there are gay, which means that Saber makes her living by selling things created by the same people she condemns.

When Philadelphia Daily News columnist Ronnie Polaneczky called Saber to get her point of view, not only did Saber confirm Genter's story, she accused the bride-to-be of "stirring up drama." Polaneczky writes:

She said that your writing the word"partner" was basically a provocation, evidence of a need "to show that she's different."

"They get that way," she told me.

By "they," she meant women who were fed up with men because "men can be difficult," and so now they "experiment" with female relationships because they're tired of having men boss them around. ... "It's a lot of drama," she said.

Both Saber and Here Comes the Bride have come under fire for poor service in the past, but we're guessing that business is about to get a lot worse given the new crop of comments over at message boards like Yelp.com and Superpages.com.

Edited by sherri, 21 August 2011 - 06:43 PM.

#2 zerodog

zerodog

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:57 PM

Narrow-minded and self-righteous hag. She's just slit the throat of her business.
I hope the couple can have a good wedding despite this nastiness.

#3 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

oh I bet some other bridal store will offer the bride a free dress !

#4 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

like what jen said
why does a dress shop have to know what your doing with dress
really
a sale is sale
wrong wrong

#5 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

disgusting behavior! That lady is going to loose a lot of business over this and rightfully so. I know I wouldn't be shopping there.
I hope the couple have a wonderful wedding

#6 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:43 PM

First of all, that is complete & utter bullshit. I hope her business folds.

Secondly, how in the f***ing hell does crossing out groom & writing partner make her want to be different?! WHY do people realize that we don't want to be "different". We wanted to be treated the same and have only embraced that we are "different" as a f***ing attempt to fit into the heterosexual world.
I'm sure my partner would LOVE to be referred to as the groom. /rolls eyes.

I don't have time tonight, but i'm hoping to find an email address of the place so i can write them.
This makes my heart ache so much.

#7 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

That story was utterly disgusting!! It saddens me to see how there are still so many narrow-minded people out there! Especially for a business owner to treat a customer like that - really?!

I'd be up for a letter(email)-writing campaign as well!!

#8 Mom0f2

Mom0f2

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:47 PM

A bride is a bride, to whom she marries should not tell if she is to purchase a dress or not... that is absurd really... sounds like that store is going to really have some gay right issues to deal with... wouldn't want to be them this day & age

#9 ang691

ang691

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

oh please! who are they to judge someone's sexuality. She doesn't have to agree with her choices, but she shouldn't deny a sale....ridiculous.