43 replies to this topic

#36 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

I would turn it in. I lost my wallet once and some very nice man turned it in will all my money still in it ($60 but I was a student living off of osap at the time) and my ID. I was very grateful that there are still honest and good people out there.

#37 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

I lost my change purse at dollarama a few weeks back... all of our health cards were in there, and my bus tickets/change...and someone turned it in.To me that little bit that was in there was my whole world...so imagine what 400 bucks is to someone else.I say turn it into cops,and then if its not picked up..you have xmas spending money thats guilt free.id be wracked with guilt if i kept that!

#38 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:17 PM

i have found 2 purses and a wallet before and i always called the person to tell them i found it and they picked it up
thats totally different than finding random money

i just dont get how some people can say they would turn it in based on the dollar amount
its ok to keep it if its less than a certain amount
that seems totally hypocritical to me

#39 Sam

Sam

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:55 PM

So I made a few phone calls today in the shopping Mall Centre where I found the money and no one has came in looking for the money.

I also call the local Police and they also said no one has came in looking for it. I left my name and numebr.

How can I be charged with theft I didn't steal anything. I found something.

I will keep you all posted if anything happens.

I'm pretty sure that if you find and kept something that belongs to someone else that is theft.
Good for you for calling the police and the store where you found it.

#40 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

with some of the stories shared of wallets/purses.... If I came across someone's wallet or purse, I'm not going to take the money out of it no matter what the amount is.... but if I were to come across a $50 sitting on the ground, I will take the time to look around to see if I can find someone looking for it.... if not, it's going in my pocket....

#41 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:56 PM

with some of the stories shared of wallets/purses.... If I came across someone's wallet or purse, I'm not going to take the money out of it no matter what the amount is.... but if I were to come across a $50 sitting on the ground, I will take the time to look around to see if I can find someone looking for it.... if not, it's going in my pocket....

how come its ok to find 50 bucks and keep it but as you said in a previous post anything over a hundred you would turn it
that makes no sense to me
50 bucks to some people is a fortune

#42 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:20 AM

So I made a few phone calls today in the shopping Mall Centre where I found the money and no one has came in looking for the money.

I also call the local Police and they also said no one has came in looking for it. I left my name and numebr.

How can I be charged with theft I didn't steal anything. I found something.

I will keep you all posted if anything happens.

How long will you wait before you spend the money ? What if you spend it and then they come for it ? Just b/c you said you could really use it right now and temptation is a huge thing when you have that much laying around.

#43 Mom0f2

Mom0f2

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

she tried to return it.. no one claimed to have lost it...

I would do it that way, then it falls into the right owners hands... hopefully someone needed it.. finds you...

#44 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

Coming from a person who left $550.00 at an instant teller machine once, do the right thing and turn it in. Thankfully for me someone did and I am forever grateful all these years later. Of course the temptation is great, we are human, but mistakes happen.

edited for spelling

Edited by momand2kidz, 27 August 2011 - 09:00 PM.