27 replies to this topic

#1 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

I just heard a story about a situation locally where identity theft has occurred and it was done through one of the "Deal" sites. Just wanted to caution everyone as this is not something that can easily be fixed and the information needed for some of these sites is all someone needs to go on a shopping spree at your expense.

#2 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

this is why i dont shop online i just dont trust it

#3 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

Ya...I don't shop online for this reason.

#4 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

Ive bought off these sites regularly and thankfully never had an issue. Its unfortunte cause this ruins things for everyone else.

#5 mandms

mandms

Thoroughly addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:56 PM

hmmm.. any more hints at where this may have occurred?
i use groupon a bit, but havent done the kijiji deal --though i want to

#6 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

Is it someone you know?

I don't shop much on line because I have no money. I don't "worry" too much about identity theft though. I keep everything as safe as possible and do what I can to protect myself. It will happen or it won't. If someone wants my info badly enough they will get it no matter what I do.

I also know that a lot of these stories are just that, "stories". Also it is like so many other things we do in life. There is a small percent chance of it going wrong, but we still take the chance it won't be us. I have heard "stories" of people being stalked in real life after being stalked on FB or other social networking sites (including forums!). I don't see it stopping anyone on here from using them though....LOL

Anyway.....I think common sense has to play a huge part in protecting ones-self. In today's society you can have your identity stolen in so many ways. Even just walking down the street! IMHO, protect yourself to the best of your ability and don't worry about it from there.

#7 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:30 AM

This is someone I know and is absolutely true. They used a legit site, bought a "deal" and the business is now opening all sorts of cards under their name with their info from their original purchase. I'm just cautioning people because I'd hate to see this happen to someone else and you can see how easy it is to do.

#8 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:27 AM

This is someone I know and is absolutely true. They used a legit site, bought a "deal" and the business is now opening all sorts of cards under their name with their info from their original purchase. I'm just cautioning people because I'd hate to see this happen to someone else and you can see how easy it is to do.

That does suck! I hope they get it all worked out!

#9 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

Javabean - what did your friend buy? (I'm thinking of anyone else bought the same deal, they should look for any problems)

I love online shopping - but I have a prepaid mastercard I obtained from BMO just for this type of use. It costs $10 to activate and it's good for either 3 or 5 years - and it works just like a regular credit card. Because my bank is also BMO, when I log into my online banking, I can transfer money from my account right onto the card (there's no time to wait like making a payment on a CC) and then I use it to pay for whatever I want to buy. Other than when I'm about to make a purchase, that sucker sits at zero.

#10 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

The deal site is opening things or the place the deal is for? You should let us know what site it is so that we can steer clear if we are concerned about the security on that site.

#11 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

The business the deal is for. I will post more info when this is no longer an open case. My apologies for being so vague. I just wanted to give a heads up to keep your eye on your own CC activity.

#12 Rebekah

Rebekah

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

The business the deal is for. I will post more info when this is no longer an open case. My apologies for being so vague. I just wanted to give a heads up to keep your eye on your own CC activity.

gahhhh I recently got a deal from http://www.babyganic...te=product/shop
and now I'm very nervous since it was $1 for $20 worth of merchandise.
I purchased through https://www.onsale.com/user/login
I have not yet activated that 'coupon'.
Can you pm me if you 'think' it might be a good idea for me not to activate this.

#13 vmbeetle

vmbeetle

Thoroughly addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

That's really strange. So the ACTUAL company as in Groupon/Kijiji/Steal the Deal didn't have their security set high?
I've done three different campaigns through three different companies and I haven't had a problem nor was I given a list of their credit cards. You are basically working with an employee through the deal company and they send you the direct PDF file will the first name and last initial or sometimes the full last name and the coupon code, how many they purchased. There is no where on their the credit card number.

#14 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

I have to be honest to say i will not purchase online anymore. A few months back I made 2 purchases with my credit card- one was bath and body - - and it was delivered to a family member in the states- then the next day I made another purchse - i won't say with what- but 2 days later i got a call that someone had tried to charge a large $$ amount. But it was done in the states - but not michigan- so it was cleared up easily- but i won't do that again.

#15 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

That's really strange. So the ACTUAL company as in Groupon/Kijiji/Steal the Deal didn't have their security set high?
I've done three different campaigns through three different companies and I haven't had a problem nor was I given a list of their credit cards. You are basically working with an employee through the deal company and they send you the direct PDF file will the first name and last initial or sometimes the full last name and the coupon code, how many they purchased. There is no where on their the credit card number.

The actual vendor did indeed get the info as they were the one applying for new CCs.

#16 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

This is exactly what I was going to say. I'm glad you wrote this because you actually have run these deals and can verify the way they work. Perhaps it was one of the lesser known companies and things are done differently? I know Groupon does not give the company credit card numbers and that the vendor doesn't even get their payment until the actual Groupon is used.

#17 Mom0f2

Mom0f2

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:56 PM

bought kijiji deal once, it was fine so far anyway, seemed to be a secure site, though I am not much of an online shopper... don't like putting my credit card information online..

I just ordered some shoes at eastbay.com for my son... so hopefully it was all good too... that would suck.. especially since I don't use mine but did for these few items... then they rack up your limit.. yikes.

#18 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

I know for a fact that groupon.com doesnt share the information with the retailer and groupon is the one that charges the consumers credit card. Maybe some of the "smaller" deal sites should be more of a concern....groupon.com is large and throughout the USA as well.

I know for a fact that groupon.com doesnt share the information with the retailer and groupon is the one that charges the consumers credit card. Maybe some of the "smaller" deal sites should be more of a concern....groupon.com is large and throughout the USA as well.

#19 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:16 PM

Hey everyone! I wasn't posting to down any one business. I was very careful to not mention which business was used. This business is actually using more than one site to run this little scam. I only ever meant to caution you to watch your CC transactions and report anything suspicious. If you trust who you are using for deals, continue on. This is not just some story I've heard 3rd or 4th hand and I only had your best interest in mind since it is local to our area.

#20 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:13 AM

but are you sure this happened....lmao!! :stickpoke

#21 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

Honestly I am surprised at how defensive some of the replies are. Java is never one to come on here and post bs, I actually appreciate the heads up, although I wish I knew which deal company it is. I have bought only 2deals off of groupon and not had any issues yet.

#22 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

Honestly I am surprised at how defensive some of the replies are. Java is never one to come on here and post bs, I actually appreciate the heads up, although I wish I knew which deal company it is. I have bought only 2deals off of groupon and not had any issues yet.

i agree and really just because it hasnt happened to you yet does not mean it wont
it happens to people every day

#23 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

I think it stems from people feeling a bit threatened by the fact that this is happening and wanting to press the fact that the places "they" bought from are good.

Edited by Jill, 27 August 2011 - 10:21 AM.

#24 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

I don't think people were defensive, just trying to get more info. and not understanding how the company would get personal info. enough to open cc's elsewhere. Thanks for the warning JB :)

#25 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

I don't think people were defensive, just trying to get more info. and not understanding how the company would get personal info. enough to open cc's elsewhere. Thanks for the warning JB :)

Maybe you are right :)

#26 canadianangel

canadianangel

Mom2momer since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

thats why i will only shop with people who take pay pal.

#27 vmbeetle

vmbeetle

Thoroughly addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

I hope I didn't seem defensive I've just dealt with three of the deal companies and was just saying from a business perspective that it seemed odd to me that the credit card numbers had been given out as what I receive is formal and has nothing with them on it. I Would like to know as which company it is so I can let other people know.

#28 Roz

Roz

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

My credit card number was compromised (a.k.a. "stolen") when I ordered from amazon.com

I have been ordering from amazon.com for several years without any problems; however, on one occasion I didn't check for the "https" (which shows the site is secure) while entering my credit card number. I noticed that I had been asked to re-enter my information (address, credit card number, etc.), but I didn't think anything of it. The next day I received a call from the fraud dept of the credit card company to verify unusual purchases (which weren't mine). That's how I found out there had been some sort of worm in the computer I had used.

Had I checked first for the "https" in the url, before typing in my credit card info, the fraudulent charges wouldn't have happened. I still order online and will continue to do so. Just be cautious.