55 replies to this topic

#1 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

ODD is ten, and has had some sort of stomach bug recently, where she vomits and has diarhea and then is fine for days then it hits again.
I am going to call the doctor on Monday because this has happenned for 3 weeks now, sick one night, fine for a week.

My question is, at what age would you expect that she should be able to hit the toilet? She wakes up not feeling well and is up for an hour or more before she is actually sick and watches tv etc, I give her something to throw up in, and yet it plastered all over the floor again.

I hope this isnt sounding harsh, but I have a really bad stomach when it comes to vomit, and I am giving her something to throw up in, and am getting a little frustrated at having to clean it up again.

#2 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

My almost 10 yr old is the worst of this bunch! My yds can make it no problem. Ods gets it everywhere but in the toilet/bowl.

#3 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:04 AM

if my 4 yr old can't hit the bucket I'm pissed. Once ok, no problem, they're upset, but after that use the freaken bucket! and if you can walk AND in the bathroom and STILL dont' hit the toilet you'll hear a few choice words. LOL

#4 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

honestly, I was upset. Its the third time in 3 weeks, and I think she should be able to make it.And it was everywhere! Not a nice thing to have to deal with on a few hours sleep.

#5 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

She should be able to make it. I was puking in the toilet far younger than that. Emergencies happen but if you have time to watch tv, you have time to run to the toilet. Maybe next time make her clean it and she'll make sure to hit the toilet.

#6 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

the girls bedrooms are right next to the bathroom so when they were old enough i told them if they didnt make the bucket or the toilet they had to clean it up themselves i had such a weak stomach i had a very hard time but they made it each time LOL
obviously if they wake up because they have to throw up and dont make it thats one thing but after the first time and the bucket is beside their bed there should be no reason not to

Edited by sherri, 27 August 2011 - 09:36 AM.

#7 Rebekah

Rebekah

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

My ds is 6 and cannot make it.
I think it may have to do with whether or not they
feel advanced warning. kwim. Some bodies are different than others.
ds gets no advanced warning. He can be ill with no signs, drink a cup of
milk in the van and seconds later, puke everything up. The only thing that helps
is if I catch him after the first round, because once he starts, there's usually more
to come up. So I stop as quick as I can, get him out and let him finish the hurling outside of the car. lol

#8 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:09 AM

that reminds me of a story my mom used to tell. She said she caught me one night around 2 1/2. I had crawled out of my crib and went to get the basin she always used when one of us was sick. She says she woke up to find me trying to fit the basin inbetween the rungs of my crib. I told her I didn't feel well and needed the basin. Yep indepenedent to this day!!

As a brag my kids rarely throw up. I think of maybe 5 times total out of all 3 kids. Worst was the youngest she was sick about 6 times in a row when she was like a year old. All I could do was hold her as she kept throwing up on me over and over. Good think it was only breastmilk and not food chunks. (knocking on wood and worried I just jinxed myself)

#9 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

If my kids are awake they typically can make it to the toilet or a bucket without much trouble. If they are in bed then it's a different story. My son is 8 but has been ok for a few years now, my daughter is 6 and it's been a bit for her. They don't throw up often at all, so it's kind of hard to remember when they actually got better at this!

#10 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

Leiken gets it in the toilet every time.

I'd be upset if I were you as well!!

#11 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

we are not normally pukers either.
I slept walked when I was a kid, and thought I was in the bedroom, and my mom heard me up and found me standing over my sisters bed ready to heave..YIKES!
another time , my parents were having a dinner party, and I came trotting down the stairs carrying my pillow with puke dripping off it! but I was only about 6..

#12 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:33 AM

Everyone gets a warning of some sort, nausea, sour taste in mouth, excess salivation etc.....something that tells you you might be sick. My brother is 24 and still pukes all over the house (my poor mum) because he can't be bothered to hold it till the toilet. I would explain to her that when you get that sick feeling to go sit on the bathroom floor next to the toilet until a) you are sick or b) it passes..

#13 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

I make dd us a bucket....I can understand putting your head over the toilet can be gross to some people...even the tub I dont mind...if she gets warning she is pretty good at hitting the bucket...otherwise she gets it all over her blankets usually, so pretty easy to clean. She is 8 now..and has been using a bucket since she was 3 or 4.

Edited by JeepMom, 27 August 2011 - 10:46 AM.

#14 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:42 AM

Does A have a sensitive gag reflex, Jen? G does. As in, has to have gas at the dentist just for a check up because even a regular dental check up brings on the gagging and most times, he will vomit. When he got his retainer, he had to stay home for the day not just for the adjustment to speaking but having the mouthpiece in also got his gag reflex going. It is infuriating when I'm cleaning up another round of vomit from my oldest but I wonder if the extra sensitive gag reflex has something to do with it. I know G honestly feels bad when it happens, too. I'm sure A is the same.

#15 zerodog

zerodog

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

She should be able to make it. I was puking in the toilet far younger than that. Emergencies happen but if you have time to watch tv, you have time to run to the toilet. Maybe next time make her clean it and she'll make sure to hit the toilet.

This.

#16 Ali

Ali

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:40 AM

My brother and my uncle who are well into adulthood do not ever get the sensations that they are going to throw up. They will be sitting there and although they do not feel well they don`t feel it coming up and they both will throw up right there catching them off guard. My mother had a weak stomach too but since she had seen her brother go through this she knew that it wasn`t his fault.

Not sure if this is your dd's case or not but it does happen that people don`t feel it coming up so they can't make it to the bathroom or even in a bucket on time.

#17 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:55 PM

Yeah- maybe she is not getting the sensations. I know I used to,but since being so sick when pregnant for Nora, I don't get any of the normal sensations I used to. I usually don't even feel the pukey nausea-- I just get a bit of indigestion and then I will feel my stomach cramp and that is it. I haven't been able to make it to the bathroom since having her. That said- I know myself now and always have a bowl or garbage pail near

#18 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:05 PM

Yeah, I'd be frustrated.

#19 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

When my kids feel ill they get a bucket and have to carry it around with them just in case. After a good solid few hours of feeling ok they are bucket free...lol. I don't like cleaning puke, and it's safer this way, less chance of not being able to make it to the bathroom, especially with 5 in the house the bathroom may not be free.

#20 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

my kids rarely puke, my kids are like terbears kids, they just don't do it. But we taught them very young how to puke in a toilet if need be. dh wanted to make sure when they get older and have a hang over that they know how to puke in a toilet. But if I knew they were not feeling well, I would leave a bucket next to her bed for awhile, its frustrating (I have a weak stomack for it and thats why I have a rug shampooer too) hmm, is she eating or drinking something before bed, time to do some investigating.

so on time ds puked, he didn't make it to the bathroom (my kids have thier own) and its really early in the morning, we are half asleep so we clean it up, shampoo rug and everything. So for days I still smell puke and can't figure out why, well I have to close his door a bit (we have dark brown doors) and then I see it, puke on the door and under the door, omg it was so gross!!

#21 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

ds is 9 and still pukes all over the place. The worst is it always seems to be on me or in his bed. Last time he puked in his bed he didnt wake me up. Instead he folded up his sheets and slept around his puke....gag. I cry when I throw up and I hate cleaning it. I have given him a bucket and he misses. I tried telling him to get it in the tub at least but nope.

Ds does not get a warning before he pukes though. He will have a sore tummy and than out of no where he pukes. No gagging, no feeling of it coming.

#22 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

This.

Don't you think this is a little harsh?? She's SICK. She's not making herself puke on purpose. I would be frustrated, but to punish her for being sick is just plain mean and traumatizing.

#23 Rebekah

Rebekah

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

This.

Karen, I must respectfully disagree with this. Ds has had a medical issue with an overactive gag reflux since he was born. Anything could trigger it, only time helped this to some extent as it's often developmentally related. Even a cookie crumb or access phlegm could result in vomiting up the contents of his stomach without warning.

So I would say that punishing for missing the toilet in our case would have been no less than abuse. Not saying this is Jen's case, but there are medical issues which make controlling vomit just not possible, so before a punishment like 'cleaning up your own vomit' is enacted it might be best to figure out if there's any medical issue behind it.

#24 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

Its hard to say.Sometimes I can control it,and others it comes with no warning.She may have some sort of inflammation from the frequent bouts.so that the trigger comes too late.But if i have a bucket with me,I usually can pause to grab it.Im wondering why she isnt pausing.Could be an attention issue,but wait and see on that...if it keeps happening,then yep.She should at least be able to bucket it.Perhaps she needs something deeper and bigger??Maybe get her some sort of giant storage tote with the warning to her that if she cant aim in that...shes cleaning up the floor.

#25 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

As a mom - I would be frustrated for sure.

As the kid that was like that - I totallly empathise with your dd. I remember many times have next to no warning before puking - at times it really was spontaneous!! One time she was brushing my hair into a pony tail and I opened my mouth to say something and instead I puked. Gross but very true. And I was about 9 at the time. Sigh.

Also, I know this is probably TMI but there was a lot of force behind it. Some people just gently retch - others have bodies that do almost a projectile hurl.

Only you really know your daughter. If for a moment you think its possible she REALLY can't help it then stick to venting to your friends - we'll empathise with you.

#26 lainey79

lainey79

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:51 PM

My 6 year old dd is actually sick to her stomach today - she threw up once in the van, once on the kitchen floor, once in the toilet and once in the bucket I gave her. I honestly wasn't sure if she'd make it to the toilet or bucket because this is the first time in probably 4 or 5 years that I've had one of the older ones throw up but she did so I was relieved about it. I don't do well with throwing up either and was sick myself cleaning up my van :(

#27 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:32 PM

i rember ask kid it was about 10yrs
but i was the helper when other kids got sick and offen help my sister and borther get the buket or run to bath room
so i learn to find or run

my mom never never made us clean our own sickness
it park of motherhood i think
but she teach us to put of hand over month and run or find something to get sick in

(jen my post sound not so nice, sorry your going through this and hope she learns fast for your sake)

Edited by sims, 27 August 2011 - 08:36 PM.

#28 theresab

theresab

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

I am not sure if someone mentioned this...but it could depend on how uses the child is to vomiting? My DD started suffering with childhood migrants when she was about 4-5 yrs old. When I picked her up at school and she had a migraine she always had a stash of bags in the back seat...she replaced them herself when she used them. She hasn't piled all over the floor since that started with her I think because she has learned to sense when it's going to happen. However if your child isn't used to vomiting...is not something that normally happens to them.....then prob. Not so much making it to the toilet?

#29 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

I know the first "vomit" of being sick is usually questionable..they knew they weren't feeling well- but then it hit them- after that it usually is in the toilet or a bucket.
so while i would be frustrated ( i am frustrated even when they puke and get it in the toilet- cuz i don't want them sick) I deal with it.
I can remember a time when i was 13- I was so sick - I had gotten up to run to the bathroom to throw up and i had passed out- and threw up on the floor and all over myself. now while i was old enough to get to the toilet- my mom got me in the shower and cleaned me up and then cleaned up the floor- I to this day hate cleaning up vomit- i do it enough with my kids and the daycare kids- but i couldn't make them clean it up themselves- now if it was out of stupidity like from being drunk ( not children of course) they would be cleaning it up not me.

#30 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

At 10 years old my kids will be cleaning it their selves. It's something I do when they are too young to do it. Just like if they were to misjudge a bowel movement, I'm not going to clean their butt for them at that age either.

It isn't malicious, it's taking more care for yourself when you get older. I think saying it is a punishment is just silly. All the time people are held accountable for their actions, intended or not. Kids need to learn how to do things for themselves,
and if they learn to pay more attention for bodily cues in the process it is just a bonus.

#31 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

Kids have plenty of time to learn how to take care of themselves when they are older. When my child is sick and needs me, I will be there to help him out, not to make them clean up their vomit. I am terrified of throwing up. If my mother had made me clean my own vomit, I'm sure my phobia would be much worse.

#32 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

I believe I read that she was given a bucket and still did not puke in the bucket. I don't know the kid so obviously I can't say for certain, but for myself, if someone handed me a bucket and I chose to puke on the floor, it is out of laziness. If you have time to sit and watch tv and do other things you can certainly bend over and pick up a bucket to puke in.

#33 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

Kids have plenty of time to learn how to take care of themselves when they are older. When my child is sick and needs me, I will be there to help him out, not to make them clean up their vomit. I am terrified of throwing up. If my mother had made me clean my own vomit, I'm sure my phobia would be much worse.

I have a severe vomit phobia too. That doesn't change my opinion on this in the least.

#34 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

Yeah- if my kids are sick I'm not going to make them clean it up. I don't know the kid, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't thinking 'hmm, I'll just puke all over the floor just make my Mom clean it up'

#35 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

Yeah- if my kids are sick I'm not going to make them clean it up. I don't know the kid, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't thinking 'hmm, I'll just puke all over the floor just make my Mom clean it up'

I DO know the kid, and I highly doubt she did it on purpose. It's not as though she made herself puke on purpose and chose to vomit on the floor. She's sick.

I just think it's abusive, really, to make a sick child clean up her own vomit to teach her a lesson. There are many other ways to teach a lesson. Traumatizing a sick child is not one of them.