5 replies to this topic

#1 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:56 PM

How much tv or computer time do you let your kids watch/play during the day?

I rotate my son and the 2 boys I watch. They can only be on the computer for "X" amount of time (I base it on age and what they are doing) and they can only watch so much tv (based on same as the computer time rule) then they must switch to something else. They must go outside (weather permitting of course) and do other things between the computer and the tv.

#2 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

dd is two and the tv is always on in the background with Treehouse on, although she only watches certain shows and spends most of her time playing with toys or colouring so its more for background noise than anything else. As she gets older he tv/computer time will be limited.

#3 TM3

TM3

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

depends we leave it on alot thru the day but thay dont sit and watch it much. if i see there sitting alot i will turn it off and send them outside.

#4 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

My kids get tv/computer/video game time from 7-9 each night, unless we are out somewhere or have other things going on. They don't always use it if they are doing other things though. Sometimes if the weather is bad or on daycare days when I have little ones napping I will let the kids watch a show during the day, or sometimes we will watch a documentary or Bill Nye or other educational show during the day, but most times it's 7-9 and that's it.

#5 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

ds had to earn t.v/game time by doing his chores, no chores no tv/games. He is allowed an hour for each.
dd watches maybe an hour of t.v at nighttime.

#6 single_mom

single_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:56 AM

It really depends on what we have going on that day, a lot of times if it's too hot or rainy we have lazy days but I do have some ground rules. He is not allowed to watch tv or play wii until he has been up at least 2 hours in the morning. this way I know he gave himself time to wake up and is not just going right into the vedge state he does when playing/watching lol
he can play up to 2 hours at a time if it's a lazy day then he has quite a few hours in between then can watch for a little bit more if he's been good and has done other things.
He is not allowed to watch t.v or play anymore when it is an hour to bedtime. this way he has snack and down time so he's not all excited and geered up right before bed. I have noticed a huge difference since starting this.
There have been a few days this summer where I didn't monitor how much tv he watched because as a lot of you say it will be on a show but he's playing with toys or doing crafts instead of watching. But I always monitor his game time cause my son is a gamer like me and could play wii for 5 hours at a time if i let him ( he's played more at his fathers house )