21 replies to this topic

#1 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:58 PM

What does one need, supplies wise, for college life as a mommy lol. Asides from books and your sanity, im clueless? Would one binder and some pens suffice? Sorry stupid question,just want to be prepared lol.

#2 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

Jen how many classes are you taking?

I would get a feel from your instuctor and how many handouts you'll get. DH has multiple binders for his classes. On top of his books.

Pens, can never have too many. LOL.

How about a lunch bag?

Don't forget a backpack too! :)

#3 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:05 PM

I always preferred to carry a clip board around with me for the day, and I would just empty out the notes and handouts each night. This was good for a couple reasons. First, you have a lighter load, especially if you have to carry text books. It also gives you a chance to review your notes each night and will just become a routine. Also, I could never write on a paper if it was in my binder, so I would take them out anyway. The clipboard also provided a good flat writing surface for the one class I had that didn't have any desks (at UWO, probably not likely to happen at St. Clair). That being said, I kept one binder for each subject at home. You'll have to decided if this method will work for you or if your professors will want you to look back at your notes (in which case you'll have to lug your binders). I know you can rent lockers at St. Clair if you need them (although I've heard they go quickly).

As far as other supplies, I always had a fully stocked pencil case and used my agenda (which I would assume they will give you) a lot!

#4 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:40 PM

I think 6 or 7 classes?

#5 mandy.b

mandy.b

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

-I loved my zippered binders..kept everything nice and neat
-Lots of highlighters!
-The little post-it tabs to mark important pages in your books
-Extra notepads for taking notes
-flashdrive
-page dividers..I think I went through 6 packs lol
If you're a coffee drinker...get your coffee stocked up..helped me through many study sessions :) :coffee
Good luck Jen!
:3_3_21

#6 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

one binder for each subject or else they are going to get really full and cluttered. LOTS of pens. You're up shits creek if you run out in the middle of a class. Backpack is a must, for carrying around a bunch of binders and texts. White out possibly. pencil case.

#7 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

I think 6 or 7 classes?

You may not need 6 or 7 binders. Get a feel from your instructor on the papers. Sometimes some instructors don't give handouts and just use blackboard. So you may not need to go and buy a binder for that topic. Sometimes you can use 2 binders for 1 course (if you have a bigger binder that is). You may not need a binder for any online courses either.

And yes USB is a great thing to have too.

DH takes 6 classes and only needs 4 binders. KWIM?

#8 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

I would just start with one binder and you will see if you need more or not, some classes I didn't really use a binder at all and some I needed a big binder. Highlighters and tabs I used alot too! And you will probably need a usb if you have any classes in computer labs.

#9 SourPickle

SourPickle

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

I would suggest going to your first classes and reading the syllabus to see what is needed/recommended.

In my experience, I usually have a separate notebook for each class, it makes organizing things much easier. I found binders to be large and bulky and it gets really old, really fast having to lug this stuff around everyday.

Also, pens, highlighters, whiteout, the little page tab thingies.

Good Luck!!

#10 vmbeetle

vmbeetle

Thoroughly addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:49 PM

Water bottle
Pens
Pencils for tests
Lunch
Backpack but if you have 6-7 classes you may have a lot of books so either a locker or a backpack on wheels.
Sticky notes

#11 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:25 PM

Yeah, 7 classes, thankfully the most i will have is 2 a day.

#12 mandy.b

mandy.b

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

Yeah go with the flow on the binders, it really depends on the style of the teacher and books you get...I had 12 classes and only used 2 zippered binders :) Start off with one really good binder and divider tabs.

#13 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

I had one binder for each class.. lots of paper, pens, highlighters.. those types of things. A nice sturdy backpack that can handle big books! Not sure if your books look anything like mine did, but they were back breakers!! I didn't pay for the locker, but if you don't drive there, it may be worth looking into the rental of one so you can leave the stuff you don't need at school, and only bring the stuff you do, kwim?

I liked to feel very organized and on top of things. That's why I need a binder for each class, I didn't want my classes blending together, and making it more confusing. This way everything had it's own spot, and it was quick and easy. We had soo many notes that it wouldn't have been possible, IMO, to have only one binder.

When I switch from the College to the U for 3rd and 4th year I bought a lap top. It was much simpler because the U makes you pay to print, and I just couldn't afford to print the amount of pages they expected, so I had a flash drive and kept it all in one place. That worked well too.

#14 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:18 AM

I also liked those post it flaggy things. It lets you flag a page you want to go back to, of that the teacher has deemed important, etc. it's an easy way to remember where you should go back to!

#15 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

I used a thick lined legal pad to jot down notes during lectures,and kept one of those zipped flat binders to put in handouts,or crap from tutorials.Some of my textbooks were tomes,so the less in my backpack the better.Two pens,a highlighter,coffee travel mug..thats it.I found the simpler I went,the easier it was.When I got back to my res,then Id organize my stuff into binders and such.
Of course if I were in school now,Id add a tablet or laptop to that!

#16 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

Yeah i considered bringing my laptop, but i think i would defiently want to invest in one of those rolling backpacks to carry it. Now the question is, do i bring anything the first week or not? I dont want to lug anything around if i dont have to, but i dont want to be not prepared. Can you tell i havent been to school in a really long time lol.

#17 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

Obviously you'll need a lunch so I'd take that, and a backpack. DH got a wheeled one from Walmart last year, it holds his laptops and a few small books/binders. It was $20. It has lasted him and is in great condition too. He got that one in the luggage department though. So if you go to backpacks and don't see one, head over to the luggage department.

Also bring writing tools and paper/binders. Like I said get a feel for what you'll need. Over time you'll know what you will need to bring to school on what day.

Are you getting a locker there?

DH doesn't get one, he brings to class what he needs for that class, so he's not so overloaded with things. It's all on how YOU organize things. And let me tell you some days my dining room looks like a library...lol!

#18 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

Probably no locker. I'd be too paranoid someone would break into my locker, and steal all my books and stuff. I'd rather lug it everywhere and save my sanity lol.

#19 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:38 PM

I understand. That's one reason DH doesn't get a locker, but the other is cause if he's at home and needs to work on something and that subject is in his locker, he's gotta go all the way there...lol.

#20 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

That makes a lot of sense too. Plus since i dont drive, and live on the other end of the city lol, it would be a pain to have to go all the way back.

#21 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

Yeah, I'd go minimal for the first week. Just bring some paper, pens, highlighter, post-it flags, etc. in a pencil case. You'll figure it out. Just think of all of the 18 year olds shaking in their boots. You have so much life experience on them. You'll be fine! As for the backpack, in my last year I did go the computer bag on wheels route to bring my laptop. We had long breaks and I was living in Amherstburg, so it was nice to be able to work on whatever I needed. The only thing I would caution is to see how accessible the school really is. I'd have to walk down the street to get to ramps and always take the elevator. It really was a pain! And if I did just bite the bullet and lug it up the stairs, it was really heavy! I know you've mentioned back pain before, so having the wheels is smart if it's easy to do. Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of your time lugging a really heavy bag around (as in the bag on wheels but you can't find a ramp, etc.).

#22 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:48 AM

No kidding on the 18yr old bit lol. I am gonna try and play it by ear, but i know i will be the class geek because im so excited lol.