31 replies to this topic

#1 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

My dh wants to put our ds in Tecumseh houseleague hockey. I don't. Please help me gain perspective by sharing your experiences.

My dh's poit of view:
Ds is tough an will do well
If we don't start him now (just turning 5), he'll get behind
It will keep him out of trouble when he's a teen.

My point of view:
We are not hockey people. We don't even watch hockey.
We can wait a year or two and if he wants to play he will catch up as long as we keep him on skates
He's not asking to play, he's pretty indifferent about it
Risk of injury
I have no interest in letting hockey takecover my whole life, because god knows I'll be the one to take him
We'll have to do it with his younger brother too

#2 Ali

Ali

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

Ds started hockey last year at 8 and he was very behind all the other boys. I wish he would have started younger but he had no interest until last year. Now he did make huge improvements throughout the year but he still isn't up to their level.

This is from my point of view, it did not seem to bother him one bit and never once made a comment that he wasn't good enough. It has done wonders for him. The teamwork, the feeling of belonging to a team, the celebrating the wins and encouraging each other through the losses has been amazing to watch. I am not into hockey at all and really enjoyed it. He's made some new friends and because he didn't want to lose contact with them when hockey was done he even joined soccer for the first time. Many of the kids seem to do hockey in winter and soccer in the summer.

I say if your son is willing to start now then you should go for it. :)

#3 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hockey is a very fun, family sport. We all get involved, even if it's just ds that plays. My husband coaches ds's team. I don't necessarily think it will be "too late" if you don't sign him up now, but if you had any intent to do so, I'd do it now. Ds is behind some of the kids he plays with, and his first year was novice minor, when he was 6. Some of the kids he played with have been playing on teams for 2 years before that.

There is VERY little risk of injury until he is at least 13 ish. I know for a fact Windsor Minor Hockey has taken checking right out of the game, even for older kids.. I'm fairly certain Tecumseh has done the same.

Hockey is a great, active sport. I wont be the one to go to if you are looking to convince your otherwise. We LOVE the hockey season. It's expensive, but we ALL have made friends there, and it's such a great atmosphere. Friendly competition, lots of action and exercise, teaching discipline, etc.

If I had to recommend one sport it would be hockey. It's not cheap by any means, but it's a great experience!! We are a hockey family for sure, and we will continue to be until it's no longer an option for us! The sky's the limit!! :biggrin

#4 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

Hockey rocks, and I know a few moms here that are WHMA (Windsor Minor) moms right along with me, and we have developed friendships because of it! I love the season, as do they! I highly doubt you would regret the experience!!

The sooner you can get him in, the better. I believe he's totally skipped over tykes by now, and he'd probably be in novice minor. Now's the time!! :)

Edited by Jill, 07 September 2011 - 06:18 PM.

#5 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

Owen played last year and it was kinda a waste of money. He really wasnt into it at all.

My older boys played from the time they were 5 until early teens.
One got into trouble, the other didnt.
I like that its great exercise, teaches kids to be a team player and it is fun to watch etc.
Could you wait another couple years, absolutely.

Owen really enjoyed playing road hockey in the driveway this year, but we didnt sign him up for ice hockey. Instead we are going to put him into the floor hockey program at Puce Rec Centre. It only runs in 8 week sessions, and will give us a better idea for next year. He can skate not bad for his age, so we will continue to take him to parent and tot skates and do floor hockey and then see.

#6 luckycharms

luckycharms

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

Trevor is just starting out. He is 8. I didn't think I would be a hockey mom but, here we are. He asked to play. It is very expensive. The equipment and the registration is near $1000. Trevor took the canskate program last year. He is bigger than a lot of the other kids and he will be behind his teamates but, he is having a blast. He looks forward to it all week. I don't see any harm in waiting a year to see if this is something HE wants to do. Just keep him skating and maybe put him in the canskate or pre power. You are right, a am now a hockey mom. I wash the equipment, I take him to his games and practices but, it is because he wants to go and is showing interest. I'd be pissed if we spent all this scratch for a passing fancy.

#7 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:38 PM

We signed my ods up for hockey when he was 8. He was behind skill wise but it didn't seem to phase him and he picked up the skills pretty quickly. A friend also signed her son up the same year and he is in travel hockey and is one of the best players on his team. My dd played her first year last year at 7 and she picked it up pretty quickly. It really does depend on the child.
I don't watch hockey. ever. But, I LOVE watching my own kids play. Watching their progress from staying up to maybe tapping the puck will have you rejoicing in your seat! LOL I don't think that your son will be super behind if you waited a year but I do think it's a great sport to eventually put him in. You get a good bang for your buck (Sept-April) and it helps them develop team work, discipline in being committed to the team (and getting up to get there), lots of great plusses to having them play.

#8 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:09 AM

I have played hockey all my life, coached for years and my husband is a high level referee. Would we put our 5 year old into hockey...now way! He needs to be a VERY strong skater first. Put him into Canskate with a figure skating club (riverside is awesome....AND just a fyi...figure skating coaches actually are the skating coaches for NHL players! ;) A lot of people will say that my kid can skate, but trust me when I say that skating skills take years and years to develop. The best hockey players in the world are the strongest skaters!

Maybe when he is 6 or 7 would I put him into an actual hockey club.

My nephew was 8 years old when he started, he could barely stand on skates when he started in hockey. He is now playing travel hockey 3 years later.

As well, Edi Jovanavsky who is a NHL player and was on team Canada (from Windsor) didn't start hockey until he was about 10-11 years old...he only ever played soccer.

So if anyone ever says your son will "be behind" then just tell them that you are only worried that he will "leave all the other kids behind in his dust" once he has mastered the skill of skating and is actually playing hockey! ;)

Keep it simple and master the most important part...skating!

#9 LoveMyKids2

LoveMyKids2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

My son is 5 and this is his second year in hockey. We live in Belle River so he plays here. We have had him in skates since he was 2 so he was already a good skater when we first put him in. I don't know how Tecumseh runs their program, but it is all very basic technical skills at first, lots of drills etc. There is no hitting of any sort. The mites and tykes programs are great for building a basic foundation and understanding of the game. Last year my son played fri and sun.....this year he plays every sat and sun. I love going though, my husband helps out so he is on the ice too. At this age hockey wont take over your life. Its 4 hours out of an entire week and it is great exercise for your son!

#10 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

He can be in a hockey club, and still take supplemental skating to improve skills, IMO, I wouldn't be waiting to put him in a league. It's not just the skills, it's also the friendships and all the parts of the puzzle. A lot of these kids will have known each other since the beginning, and it does make a difference.

I am definitely not a solo hockey mom, my husband coaches so he is there every single game and practice, we do it as a family, even my dd has friends there she plays with weekly. It's a truly great experience for us, and I never regret a minute spent there. It's great exercise, teaches a lot of valuable lessons, above all discipline and team work, IMO.

Also, Canskate is fine, but if you want actual hockey skating skills, we really love the Powerskating sessions offered at the arenas. It teaches hockey specific skills and skating, also teaches them skills to strengthen their bodies for the requirements of the game. They will learn skating AND hockey skills there. We do at least one supplemental session during the season, aiming for 2.

It IS expensive, but renting ice is expensive. It is an expensive sport across the board, and the actual association pays for the ice every time your kid steps on it. To us there is absolutely no hesitation when we say it is totally worth the money!!

#11 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

To put things in perspective though, our son was under a year the first time he held a stick, and has a natural, ingrained love of the game. He could barely walk, and he'd be shooting balls into nets all day by choice! It's just something he loved from the beginning. He goes to see games with his dad or me often, and absolutely loves to play. He has the unrealistic future ambition of playing for the NHL and the whole nine..lol Wants to play for the Spits, all of it.

So, yeah, with everything I said, it's easy to want to give them the experience when they just naturally love the game in the way he does!! So I can see where you would hesitate more, seeing as he is not really interested. I think though, if you're going to try it out, it's a good time to do so, and IMO, the longer you wait, the harder it will be for him to catch up, though the older he is, the stronger he will be, and I do believe they can learn the game faster..

ETA: My apologies for the novels. LOL

Edited by Jill, 08 September 2011 - 07:45 AM.

#12 Original J Mom

Original J Mom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

We've had our 3 kids in TSMHA for many years now. Houseleague teams practice for an hour on Saturday morning and play a game on Sunday mornings. I'm pretty sure we had ours in the program at age 5 but there are always new kids joining. Our daughter is in Pee Wee(11-12 yo) this year and know there are quite a number of newbies on her team. Starting him this year or next really won't make a big difference but he'll likely hear more about hockey once the kids at school start talking about it, he may ask then. The risk of injury is very small too, especially at that age...many of the kids can barely stand let alone be a threat to anyone else. Not to mention that with the shear amount of equipment, they are probably more likely to hurt themselves getting dressed! As for taking over your life, houseleague isn't too bad but it is still every weekend starting this one, until March Break, so it is still a big commitment. Good luck with your decision.

Edited by Original J Mom, 08 September 2011 - 08:11 AM.

#13 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:18 AM

Not a hockey family here. We have the kids play little league tball and found that they got many of the same benefits of a team experience, with much less of a pricetag, shorter season and less equipment and less risk of injury (though some of course). I have loved every minute of watching my kids grow in the sport of baseball and am sure hockey would be the same way if you were into that too.

#14 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:39 AM

I'll be a first time hockey mom this season - Bun is 5 and will be starting tomorrow. I had a few reservations, especially as a girl going into "a boy's club" but I think she'll really enjoy it. She was in soccer for the last few years, but has been bugging us to play hockey since last year at least - I figured if a year later she was still asking then we'd try it out. It's mostly drills and skills this year, learning the sport.

I'm actually pretty excited for her, plus she looks adorable all proud in her uniform :)

#15 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

He can be in a hockey club, and still take supplemental skating to improve skills, IMO, I wouldn't be waiting to put him in a league. It's not just the skills, it's also the friendships and all the parts of the puzzle. A lot of these kids will have known each other since the beginning, and it does make a difference.

I am definitely not a solo hockey mom, my husband coaches so he is there every single game and practice, we do it as a family, even my dd has friends there she plays with weekly. It's a truly great experience for us, and I never regret a minute spent there. It's great exercise, teaches a lot of valuable lessons, above all discipline and team work, IMO.

Also, Canskate is fine, but if you want actual hockey skating skills, we really love the Powerskating sessions offered at the arenas. It teaches hockey specific skills and skating, also teaches them skills to strengthen their bodies for the requirements of the game. They will learn skating AND hockey skills there. We do at least one supplemental session during the season, aiming for 2.

It IS expensive, but renting ice is expensive. It is an expensive sport across the board, and the actual association pays for the ice every time your kid steps on it. To us there is absolutely no hesitation when we say it is totally worth the money!!

I would differ on this opinion.

Canskate is a very friendly atomsphere where kids socialize and meet other friends...you don't always have to be on a team to make friends and have fun. ;)

Also, there is really no such thing as "hockey skating skills". That does not really make sense. Skating is skating! You need to learn how to properly skate and I can guarantee you that a majority of hockey coaches (mainly Dads) are NOT professional skating coaches. In fact, MOST cannot even explain to kids how to properly skate. Trust me on that!

With Canskate through an organized figure skating club you are getting PROFESSIONAL skating coaches that are teaching your kids how to properly skate...they learn the basics in a very organized, professional manner. In fact, if you watch a canskate session, most of the private lessons going on are little boys in their hockey skates (no stick) learning from a pro. ;)

As for powerskating sessions....once again, figure skating pros are teaching them (or at least most of them). BUT powerskating is once the fundamentals are down pat. From what I understand from the OP, her son doesn't even skate yet.

Hockey is pushed too fast onto our kids. Even the pros are now saying that we need to get back to basics....skating being #1. There is a LOT of time for kids to learn the skills of the game...in fact, when kids are 5,6,7 they don't understand strategies of the game...they just need basic skills.

My opinion is based on extensive experience in playing and coaching....and I will say that my DH played in the NHL. ;)

#16 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

I hated Canskate. We did it at Riverside Arena back when ds was 3, and there were WAYYY too many kids and he was left alone on the ice sitting there, while the instructor and the 10 others kids were literally 10-20 feet away. TOTAL waste of money for us, IMO. I sincerely hope they've improved the program!!

Good for your DH playing in the NHL! :tongue I have my own opinions, and I do believe there are hockey specific skills that relate to the game, and aren't really applicable to just normal skating. Our powerskating sessions at South Windsor are NOT led by just family people, these are skating and hockey coaches, actually. I can't speak for other leagues.

My husband never played for the NHL, in fact he was never even really a forward, but a goalie!! He puts a hell of a lot of effort into coaching though, and into planning his drills for practices. He spends a lot of time working with the kids and determining their specific needs. You don't need to be a pro to coach.

Edited by Jill, 08 September 2011 - 11:16 AM.

#17 BRMomOf3

BRMomOf3

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

My son is 5 and this is his second year in hockey. We live in Belle River so he plays here. We have had him in skates since he was 2 so he was already a good skater when we first put him in. I don't know how Tecumseh runs their program, but it is all very basic technical skills at first, lots of drills etc. There is no hitting of any sort. The mites and tykes programs are great for building a basic foundation and understanding of the game. Last year my son played fri and sun.....this year he plays every sat and sun. I love going though, my husband helps out so he is on the ice too. At this age hockey wont take over your life. Its 4 hours out of an entire week and it is great exercise for your son!

my ds also plays in belleriver and last year was his 1st year playing an this year he is doing it again as he loves it. just wondering if he was on tykes last year as my son was and he was yellow

#18 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

Thx for all the great input!

My ds does skate. He doesn't skate well, but he can skate. He took an entire season of Canskate at Tecumseh Arena last season and I wasn't really impressed with the program. It's nearly as expensive as hockey and not as hands on as I would like. But I hear WFCU has a better Canskate program.

I really want to wait. Dh works a lot of hours. I know it will be me trekking to the arena every weekend with a baby in tow at nap time. But dh really wants him in so I guess we'll see. Starts on Sat so we'll need to decide tonight so we can get equipment. Frick... I wouldn't even know what to buy or where to go.

#19 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

DON'T DO IT!!!!

lol

#20 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:03 PM

Well, if it helps Chevrolet is giving away free Bauer hockey helmets to kids born in 2006 and I can get DH to forward you the link.

I found getting all the equipment overwhelming, since I never played and have no clue what they actually need.

#21 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

Well, if it helps Chevrolet is giving away free Bauer hockey helmets to kids born in 2006 and I can get DH to forward you the link.

I found getting all the equipment overwhelming, since I never played and have no clue what they actually need.

Is she playing out in the county or are you bringing her in for the girls league in Windsor? Our girl played her first season last year and she absolutely LOVED it!!! Have fun! :)

#22 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

She's just playing in Harrow for now ... can you send me info on the girls league? P&TY :)

#23 LoveMyKids2

LoveMyKids2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

my ds also plays in belleriver and last year was his 1st year playing an this year he is doing it again as he loves it. just wondering if he was on tykes last year as my son was and he was yellow

He was a mite last year(green) and He will be a tyke this year. We are waiting to hear which ice time he will get, sometime between 8am-10am. It starts next week though!

#24 BRMomOf3

BRMomOf3

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

He was a mite last year(green) and He will be a tyke this year. We are waiting to hear which ice time he will get, sometime between 8am-10am. It starts next week though!

yea we are waiting to hear from them as well to see wut team he is on and my dh helps them out on the ice as well, maybe they will be same team or play one another. will have to keep u post on wut team we are.

#25 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:59 AM

DON'T DO IT!!!!

lol

This! LOL

I didn't read all replies only skimmed and scrolled...seen this and yup!

Honestly anyone I have known who have put their kids into hockey has had to put A LOT of their time into it. It's games and practices etc. It takes up A LOT of your time.

What does your DS want to do?

#26 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

Thx for all the great input!

My ds does skate. He doesn't skate well, but he can skate. He took an entire season of Canskate at Tecumseh Arena last season and I wasn't really impressed with the program. It's nearly as expensive as hockey and not as hands on as I would like. But I hear WFCU has a better Canskate program.

I really want to wait. Dh works a lot of hours. I know it will be me trekking to the arena every weekend with a baby in tow at nap time. But dh really wants him in so I guess we'll see. Starts on Sat so we'll need to decide tonight so we can get equipment. Frick... I wouldn't even know what to buy or where to go.

Tecumseh CanSkate program is really expensive....it is probably at least $100 more then Riverside Skating club (that is the one that operates out of WFCU). And I have heard some negative comments about the Tecumseh one...I don't have personal experience with it though. The Riverside one is fabulous...as a warning, it will be busier on the ice on the weekends vs weeknights but there are still professional figure skating coaches coaching all the kids.

If your child isn't asking, then hold him off...he is still young. Take advantage of public skating and such so that he learns to love to skate.

#27 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

If your child isn't asking, then hold him off...he is still young. Take advantage of public skating and such so that he learns to love to skate.

I tend to agree with this. The timbit level is just kids skating that happen to also have on hockey equipment on. Save your money until maybe age 6 or 7 when they actually play hockey.

And yes, if you do put him in hockey one day you will end up enjoying watching your kid play - regardless of what you think you will feel about it now.

It was a love hate relationship with me when I was a hockey mom. Loved watching him do it. Loved how my introverted son wanted to play and enjoyed playing. Early morning cold areanas....ya not so much fun.

#28 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

ds did the canskate program at WFCU arena last year. I didnt find it all that great. Too many kids, not enough coaches. He didnt really learn anything when he was done but he had fun and liked it so we may to it again.

Only way I would do hockey is if it was something my child really wanted to do. I dont mind spending the time investing in something they love but would not putting him it just because

#29 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

Well I just signed DS up for Floor Hockey at Puce Rec Center, it cost $50 for 10 weeks and runs Saturday mornings for 10 weeks..
They supply sticks, and balls, we supply the helmet.. After the first session we will decide if he wants to do another one, once he shows interest in ice hockey we will put him back in.

#30 LoveMyKids2

LoveMyKids2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

yea we are waiting to hear from them as well to see wut team he is on and my dh helps them out on the ice as well, maybe they will be same team or play one another. will have to keep u post on wut team we are.

sounds good! Hopefully we will hear something this week!

#31 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

YDS played last year in Belle River! It was a great program!

#32 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

He's only just turning 5 and very impressionable. He's not asking to do any activities, but agrees to pretty much any activity we propose.

Eg I just asked him again if he wants to play hockey. He said yes. Then i asked him to choose either hockey or karate and he said 'how about I do hockey when I'm a grownup and karate when I'm a kid?' haha sounds good to me.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

lol

This! LOL

I didn't read all replies only skimmed and scrolled...seen this and yup!

Honestly anyone I have known who have put their kids into hockey has had to put A LOT of their time into it. It's games and practices etc. It takes up A LOT of your time.

What does your DS want to do?