48 replies to this topic

#36 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:07 PM

The first year I did the party I had Elaine, my son and I plan, decorate and work the party. I had people help do the games last minute and there were lots of problems. Games got missed, prizes did get handed out, the contest did not go well and other things got missed or messed up. No one for the door or the food or the music plus some other things. I ran around like crazy the whole night and was so upset by the time the party was done. Set took the 3 of us 5 hours to do (ELaine came have way throught that, even left work to help)

Last year's party went alittle better but not by much. I had to get my cousin and my mom, husband and son to help because people canceled on me the morning of the party. And I was left scrambling to fill spots. I canceled games and again the contest did not go as planned. I had to use my family to run the party becuase not enought people volunteer'd and when I lost those ones that canceled I was in a jam again. The party was a better success then the year before but in my opinion not by much because I just didn't have enough people.

This year I was determined to do things differently. Have enough people before even commiting a space and money from mom2mom's limited budget. Have the volunteer's in place and this way even if someone or 2 dropped out there would be enough people to do the party. But as its plain to see I did not get anywhere close to the number I needed. I need 6 or 7 people besides myself to help and I did not get that.

I'm sorry that people are disapointed but I'm not going through a party scrambling and crazy about things being missed or messed up and totally upset. Perhaps next year people would be more open to the party and what it takes to have one.

#37 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

I'm done justify my decision on the party and its cancelation. The party is canceled!
Thank you to those that did offer and those that came to my defense.

#38 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

I think in the future, it might help if a date was given for the committe meeting, something like say Thursday Sept.... ? at 7pm, who can come, and take it from there.

Also Athena, I understand your position and agree with the fact that there were few volunteers the first year and yet there were complaints from the people who attended regarding the games etc. Makes it frustrating all the way around.

At one point in time, there were far more members willing to volunteer, stuffing parties had 10 or more in attendance, now we struggle with every event. There is the possibility we will run into the same issue with the Christmas Party.

I know Lisa P also volunteered students as well as her daughters to help on the day of the party, but I also understand you wanted more help in the planning process, not just the night of the party..

I do however disagree in your comment regarding the budget, I don't like the fact you called it limited, where as I think we have budgeted a decent amount, but I do agree that I dont want to lose the money on booking a facility and then having to cancel and lose a deposit.

For those that are upset that the party is cancelled, if anyone else is willing to take this on, please contact admin.

#39 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

the post says not enough to help out AT the party

And that is what I understood. If it was just a committee to actually do the planning before hand then I could have helped out, it's only when it comes to helping out before/during/after the party that it's a problem.

Maybe try to repost specifying the need for people to help with ideas? I know as long as its a M, W, F meeting time I could make it.

Or maybe someone else would like to try to get a committee together to try and do the planning for the party and pursue from there?

#40 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

Jen: I didn't mean to imply that the budget for the party was bad I meant that its limited in only so much is aloud for each event mom2mom has and I didn't want to waste by putting a down payment on a space or spending it on pumpkins/prizes or anything else without a committee and helpers. Sorry if I was not as clear as I should have been.

#41 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:22 PM

i understand its hard to get volunteers but sometimes good intentions just get lost in real life

i was on the christmas commitee 2 yrs ago and enjoyed it so last year i volunteered to be on the halloween committee even though i have no young children
for the first meeting we were told it was at the sobeys on tecumseh road so we got there and waited a half an hour after the meeting time and nobody showed up only to find out there are 2 sobeys on tecumseh road and the meeting was at the other one
the second meeting my good friend was in the hospital fighing for her life so i had to cancel
the third meeting i had to work and could not attend
and i also had to work for the party
since that episode i have decided not to sign up to volunteer because with the way my work schedule is i cannot commit to certain days etc
its hard to commit to days when you dont have a set work schedule and work different days and shifts all the time

i do think though if you are not going to volunteer in any aspect you shouldnt be b*tching about the parties itself how they are run or if they have to be cancelled
there is a lot of work that has to be done for these parties and people are needed to do them

#42 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

Jen: I didn't mean to imply that the budget for the party was bad I meant that its limited in only so much is aloud for each event mom2mom has and I didn't want to waste by putting a down payment on a space or spending it on pumpkins/prizes or anything else without a committee and helpers. Sorry if I was not as clear as I should have been.

Thank you for your clarification.

#43 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

The committee was to set a firm date and a firm time. Help with the games and maybe change the type of games we have or rethink the games that are already in place. Maybe rethink the craft area that was plannned. Help with the prizes for the games, Help with the candy bags and having them ready for the party. Maybe a committee member could come up with some different music then I have or more music then I have. I posted this as the first post and it didn't result in much.

This thread has been up for 3 weeks and has gotten me 4 people to help plan and help at the party. Only since I cancelled the party and change the tread did I get people saying things.
No one is more disappointed then me about not having a party. I started this halloween party 2 years ago and I have alot invested in this party. This month alone I've already spent hours on the phone calling places and hours going through the stuff from last year and replanning games and prizes and contests and getting decorations that my family members do use any more. I don't know what else to say to anyone about this party and my reason's for canceling it.

I've feel really hurt by all of you that posted here comdemning me and my decisions about the party and its cancelation. I'm really on the start of tears. Next time I will not even offer to host the halloween party.

Edited by Crafty Bear, 26 September 2011 - 08:38 PM.

#44 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

Jen: your welcome.

Sherri: Yes there was a confusion on where the meeting was held. I did and still do thank you for the effort you did try to help last year. I thank you for your post.

#45 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:03 AM

i think maybe next time, u would get more results by suggesting a clear date and time... And see who is availible.. maybe do a poll.. i dont know.. But i know with ppl's work schedules, and people who may depend on rides, such as myself... It is very helpful to have a date to work off of.... I wouldnt be able to offer my help, unless i know when u need the help for... and i know u were trying to form a committee. And i realize that... I am just saying.. I think alot of people found it hard to offer help for the party with no date. Maybe just pick one, and see and then if a change needs to be made with the date... make it, if needed... but then it might give ppl a better idea if their able to... Just a suggestion? I am not trying to be a pain in the butt... I just think it would be very helpful to those who would like to find out if their able to attend, and help also. :)

#46 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:05 AM

I did post a possible date and the possible times. Twice in fact. I was not going to put a firm time and date without a committee in place. I've had several problems before when I did do that and almost lost $100 deposit because of it. I have justified my reason's for the date and times not being set in stone and my reasons for the cancelation. I'm sorry if its not clear but I have tried to make them clear and no one is really listening to me.

this post has been up for 3 weeks and the date was posted in the orginal 1st post with other posts stating why a firm date and time is no set. I don't know any other way to say it. I was not getting responses to this post for committee members or helpers at the party until I canceled the party. Now it seems that everyone has a suggestion or an idea on how to organize a party for a 100 people. But those that have critized me didn't offer the help that wss needed..no they just critized me.

I've spent the entire night being upset and crying by this whole thing and I'm so very done trying to justify myself and my decision about the date and the times and the cancelation of the party.

#47 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:59 AM

i think the whole thing is just ridiculous
its easy for people to complain and criticize about how things are done but wont help out
this isnt the first time there is not enough volunteers

seriously if it wasnt for athena and her family i doubt there would have been halloween or christmas parties for the past how many years
she does MORE than her fair share when it comes to volunteering

for all you that have critizied her maybe YOU should run the party instead of complaining then you can set a firm date and see what happens
maybe then you will understand just how much work is involved and just how much athena does for these parties

#48 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:24 AM

((hugs!!)) Crafty Bear!!

#49 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:58 AM

There is really no point in allowing this thread to go back and forth in circles.

Athena made her decision, she explained why, and for those who are upset about the cancellation if anyone wants to take over and plan a party Admin is open to that option as well.

Athena, I don't think anyone intentionally meant to offend you, I believe they are just offering suggestions.

:thankyou-rose