#1 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:33 AM

Does your family still participate?

I'm not sure I want to bother this year. I'm tired of buying the candy and only getting 2 kids, then being stuck with stuff I bought specifically that I don't eat so that there would still be some for the kids.

Then buying the kids costumes, and having to go over multiple entire neighbourhoods so the kids can go to 15 houses to trick or treat.

It feels like Halloween is dying, and I'm not sure why. But is it worth the expense, irritation, and freezing trek to do it?

What are your plans this year?

#2 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:40 AM

We don't hand out candy, but we bring the kids out. We live on a highway, so we don't get any kids here.

Why not just take the kids out to a subdivision and not worry about handing out your own candy?

#3 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:15 AM

We went through 3 different subdivisions last year, and each averaged 6 houses that handed out candy. It's so depressing, and time consuming, especially with it being on a school night this year.

I won't be buying candy for sure, cause then I also have to pay someone to hand it out while I'm out with the kids.

#4 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

We don't hand out candy here because there are so few kids, but we bring the kids to my parents neighborhood and let them trick or treat there. We bring a few bags of candy to add to their stash to make it fair. I don't feel like we should have the kids trick or treat if we aren't giving any out!

There are way less kids trick or treating even in their neighborhood. I remember when we were kids we would literally trip over each other. I wonder if it's because of paranoia? I feel like there is so much irrational fear about kids being taken, or hurt, etc. We still love Halloween and let the kids decorate, and carve pumpkins, the whole nine. I personally have always loved Halloween and still really do!!

#5 amandae

amandae

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

We usually take the kids to the town my mom lives in (5 min away) just because a lot of relatives are there too, and by the time we take them to all their houses, it just makes sense to take the kids out, around there. I do however, buy candy, and my mom hands it out for me, because I just feel it's only fair that my kids are getting candy, so I should supply it for other kids.

#6 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

We take the kids out - and for such a small village, lots of people are still participating. I love taking my little ones out (they'll be 5 and almost 3), we just give the neighbour our candy and he hands it out for us so we can all go out together. We've never not handed out, even before we had kids we still participated.

#7 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

We don't hand out candy only because we don't get kids where we live. We end up going to my MIL's street and going up and down half the street for Noah. Do your kids still want to go out and trick or treat? If so, take them to a subdivision or another family members street and go trick or treating there, that way you aren't buying candy and being stuck with it and your kids are still having a good time!

#8 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

I've taken my sister's kids out every year and they've always lived near a grade school so there's always lots of houses that participate in the festivities! I'll be taking my son out this year too. :)

#9 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

OMG!! Are you kidding?!?! ((LOL!!))

I am the biggest kid about Halloween!! I start talking to the kids about costume ideas in the Spring!! By this time of year, I am the one eagerly counting down the days until the big day!!

This year, my oldest has declared that she wants all three of us (me, her, and youngest) to be Alice Cooper for Halloween!! LMAO!! Luv it!!

But that likely will change a dozen times.....

This year I'm going to order their costumes online, from the same site I got my murder mystery costume from back in July. I looked through their children's costumes, and for the style/type they are very reasonably priced!!! ((www.wholesalehalloweencostumes.com)

As for giving out candy - well, with me taking the kids out, there won't be anyone home... I will usually take the kids about 2-3 blocks around home, then to my mom's, then to grandma's.... but it being on a Monday, it will depend on timing - as I don't want to keep them out too late. I let them get just under a (grocery) bag full of candy and stuff....

#10 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

No one comes to our house, it looks like a business and is flanked by other industrial buildings. We go to my s/o sisters, her neighborhood i s like something out of a halloween movie and almost every house gives out candy :)

#11 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:43 AM

No one comes to our house, it looks like a business and is flanked by other industrial buildings. We go to my s/o sisters, her neighborhood i s like something out of a halloween movie and almost every house gives out candy :)

What area is that? That sounds more like Halloween!

#12 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

I've taken my sister's kids out every year and they've always lived near a grade school so there's always lots of houses that participate in the festivities! I'll be taking my son out this year too. :)

It's weird, even in the vicinity of schools and seeing lots of kids all summer long that the places we've been have been absolutely DEAD on Halloween.

#13 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:57 AM

She lives in the area near Dominion and West Grand, so Academy, Northwood, Dandurand, Avondale etc...

Edited by vals, 13 September 2011 - 09:57 AM.

#14 ShannonC

ShannonC

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

We don't hand out anything because we get zero kids and that's because they are ALL one street over! So, that's where we go and it's really funny. There's a lot of big old houses on the street and a lot of them put up decorations and wear costumes and there are TONS of kids out.

Edited by ShannonC, 13 September 2011 - 10:03 AM.

#15 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

I get only 2-4 kids but, I will still buy some candy. Why not? I'm home and they are putting out the effort to go door to door along front rd where the houses are at least 100 feet apart. Heck, I'll probably go to the dollar store and get about a dozen regular sized bars. What is a few dollars?

Even if I take T out, my BF stays home anyway. I take T to his dad's neighbourhood.

#16 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

I know, it seems like barely anyone gives out candy anymore. I live near two school but we have to walk really far in between houses, its weird. I remember when we were kids it seems like it was every house. I get maybe like 30 kids.

#17 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

It's weird, even in the vicinity of schools and seeing lots of kids all summer long that the places we've been have been absolutely DEAD on Halloween.

Strange!! My mom lives in South Walkerville, right across a grade school. Always lots of action around there and tons of houses handing out candy!

She lives in the area near Dominion and West Grand, so Academy, Northwood, Dandurand, Avondale etc...

That's a great area for trick-or-treating too!! I had a friend that lived there for years. She always took her daughter out and would tell me she had to come back home to empty and re-load a few times because of all the candy she'd get!

#18 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

Our subdivision seems great on Halloween! This will be our second Halloween with a baby, but he was only 10 days old on his first. He will dress up and maybe do the 2 nieghbour's houses, but we will get tons of kids at the door! Last year we ran out of candy and I had to start handing out granola bars and pop (which is pretty expensive!), but since we're having a Halloween party the week before for my son's birthday party, we should have lots of candy this year!

We live in Victory Estates in LaSalle by the way.

#19 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

We dont hand out candy because our complex is kind of out of the way. I'm too scared to trick or treat in the neighborhood surrounding us, so we usually go a few streets over. Its ok, not the greatest, but ok. Last year we went to my parents in south windsor. The neighborhood is small,and they dont get many kids. But the houses who do give out candy, give out tons. They are such good neighbors

#20 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

with all the people out there not handing out candy yet taking their kids out, I find it surprising that you're all surprised there's no one out there handing out candy lol

We handed out candy long before we ever hand any children. Last year we took Grace out super early and was back to the house before 6pm to hand out candy. I think this year we are going to bring our bowl over the neighbours and take Grace down the street and then hand out whatever is left over after. I love seeing the kids in their costumes, I bet Grace will too :) She did last year.

#21 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

with all the people out there not handing out candy yet taking their kids out, I find it surprising that you're all surprised there's no one out there handing out candy lol

We handed out candy long before we ever hand any children. Last year we took Grace out super early and was back to the house before 6pm to hand out candy. I think this year we are going to bring our bowl over the neighbours and take Grace down the street and then hand out whatever is left over after. I love seeing the kids in their costumes, I bet Grace will too :) She did last year.

Hey, I have always bought candy to hand out. I'm just sick of buying it, paying someone to hand it out at my place when I take my kids out, and not getting more than 2 kids a year for the last 4 years! It gets expensive, which is why I'm thinking about just scrapping Halloween this year.

#22 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:42 PM

When I lived in an area where people came to, we bought candy. But literally NO ONE comes to our house.

Don't try to make me feel guilty. hehe

#23 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:07 PM

We live in a subdivision and both of us take the kids out. It`s extremely busy around here. We also leave candy in a bowl on the porch with a sign saying `please take one`. Our neighbour keeps an eye out for us for greedy little thieves :)

#24 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

i may put a bowl of candy

i can't wait we move in to place with lots of kids
and the other day i was asking around about tnt
and they said they gett a lots of kids woohhoo

#25 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

We get a little amount of kids. Last year my s/o stayed home and gave out candy and I took my little one out to a few streets. We will probably do the same again this year!

#26 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:01 AM

We always give out candy! I take the kids and dh is home handing out. My oldest isn't fond of the dark so she only does about a dozen houses then helps dad hand out! With dh working nights now we might go over to a friends house this year. We shall see.

#27 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

We always had one person at home and one out with the child. Except the first couple of years. Then we gave our candy to a neighbour to hand out with theirs. Had less than 10 kids at that house each year but, we still bought candy to hand out every year.

I can't think of any year in my life as a child or adult when I have not given out candy. "maybe" the 1yr I rented in the city but, I think my neighbour handed out ours that year too LOL. Even when I lived way out on Malden Road out we bought candy.

#28 proudmum

proudmum

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

we make bags for the 12 kids on our street,
then head over to grans.. she has about 300 kids show up.
we do our walk up and down her street. then head back and take over frpm dad or papa, who was handing out candy..
i love halloween. probably my fav time of year really. its super exciting for the kids.

#29 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

Halloween is my fav holiday!

I dress up with the kids every year and our house is done up crazy.
We usually go around the ds's school area though this year my mom wants us to come to tecumseh and go around her house

#30 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

My mom has come to the house a few years..she likes to see the kids, so she hands out the candy while we trick or treat...I am not sure if we get a lot of kids...I moved to a new area and while there are a lot of kids in the neighbourhood I am not sure if they trick or treat there or not..we are town houses and the front doors are inside behind secured locked doors..so it is just the patios that you see.....but i can see there being a lot of kids b/c there are three schools nearby. I certainly plan on decorating some what.

In the past I have gone to my friends house and helped take the whole crew out...but school night, might be nicer to stay in our neighbour this year.

#31 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

Not sure if we will still be in Windsor by Halloween but if we are we would definitely be 'doing' halloween. We would take dd to a couple houses of people we know and give out candy the rest of the time (we would have someone else do it for us while we were gone).

#32 Crafty Bear

Crafty Bear

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:14 PM

We always give out candy and I've always taken ds out. Husband stays home and gives the candy out and I take the kid out then we take a break and switch. Since we moved here there is next to no kids that come by. I decorate the house out side and have lights and pumpkins but I got maybe 4 kids last year. I'm hoping more come this year

#33 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:26 PM

I absolutely LOVE halloween...it's my favourite Holiday, above XMAS.

I always decorated the house to the 9's as a kid, would rush back to help hand out the candy, so IT was very sentimental to me that I had my youngest son on Halloween.

SINCE he was born I have gone all out again, after my grandfather passed when K was 6 months old, I lost my Holiday spirit, esp when it came to Halloween (me and my grandfathers fave, next is April Fools Day (the day K was born), and next was St Patty's Day, I am hoping and praying this baby is born on St. Patty's Day)so after A's birth I started loving Halloween again, and every yr I try to out do the yrs before, I stopped decorating as of last yr though (kids in the neighbourhood were vandals) so I packed everything away and when we get a house of our own I will decorate again.

I am excited that Halloween is on a Mon this year, I can drop off goodies for A's class on his bday, and have a party the Sat or Sun before.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Halloween, and who knows, maybe I will decorate again this year, I really got a lot of compliments when I used to decorate in the past.

#34 Bensmom

Bensmom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

I take my kids to my mom's house to trick or treat. Both my Dh and I go with them so I always leave a bowl of candy on the porch for the very few trick or treaters that we get.

#35 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:03 AM

I live in a subdivision that people like to drive to and bring their kids. It isn't a big deal to me, I get some kids, whos parents choose to live in a secluded area, wouldn't get the full extent of halloween (me being one of those kids once). I don't really mind/blame the parents that bring kids to where they can safely trick or treat BUT I will admit to having moments of feeling put off by having to buy extra candy for that reason. Slight annoyance - yes!! but my dd loves seeing all the kids so all is good in the end.

When I grew up I lived on a highway with lots of property between each house. We went to a few neighbours only (because that is all we could safely do and/or before we grew tired of the walking) and no matter how many times I asked to be driven to a freinds neighbourhood the answer was always no and was told "it is just part of pros and cons of where we live - we have to take the good with the bad"

Edited by terbear, 16 September 2011 - 07:21 AM.