25 replies to this topic

#1 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:19 PM

So i'm taking a college keyboarding class.I didn't realize till now how much i really suck at keyboarding lol. According to my mom, this is minimal, but by the end of this semester, we need to be able to type 30 wpm, with 1 or 2 errors tops. Im gonna try, but it's gonna be a challenge. How good can you type? Am i the only one who sucks lol.

#2 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:22 PM

I do it all day, 8 hrs a day and also took medical transcription years ago so I'm pretty fast n error free mostly. I do find closer to hour 7 I start getting sloppier lol

I do it all day, 8 hrs a day and also took medical transcription years ago so I'm pretty fast n error free mostly. I do find closer to hour 7 I start getting sloppier lol

#3 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

I do, and I finished school with 91wpm. I've been out of practice though, and will mostly have to work daily for a bit to bring my speeds back up. It will be easier when I get home net back, it's sad how little I touch my PC's keyboard without it lol.

#4 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

When I took my keyboarding class for the same program as you, we had to type 40 wpm with 2 errors max.
:)

#5 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

LOL, can someone else respond and say they suck too lol. Tammy, its weird they dropped it by 10 words, its not like you took it a long time ago?

#6 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

When I took my keyboarding class for the same program as you, we had to type 40 wpm with 2 errors max.
:)

Same here. I managed to somehow maintain my typing ability since taking it in school, but like someone else said, as the day wears on, if I'm running on little sleep or have a major head ache I find my typing is sloppier than usual.

#7 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

i suck.
i can type pretty effing fast but it isn't the "proper" way.

#8 single_mom

single_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:08 PM

yeah i suck too but i dont type the right way, i look at the keyboard and dont keep my hands in the position they're supposed to but i can type pretty quick.

#9 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

LOL, can someone else respond and say they suck too lol. Tammy, its weird they dropped it by 10 words, its not like you took it a long time ago?

Each school has its own requirements for their courses. You are at St. Clair, Tammy went to Trios if I remember it right, and I went to Everest which requires a different speed than both the other two.

#10 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

Oh, hmm i thought she went to the college, she offered to lend me her books? Im so confused lmao

#11 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:32 PM

Oh, hmm i thought she went to the college, she offered to lend me her books? Im so confused lmao

Maybe she did and I was mistaken (it has happened before LOL). Or maybe she went to Trios but they used the same texts for the various courses.

#12 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

I took it in highschool and it was seriuosly the BEST class I took. As you can see sometimes my right hand goes faster then my left but I type super fast. It so worth taking a keyboarding class !! mind you I text pretty fast too... and they dont' teach ya THAT in school... yet LOL

#13 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:06 PM

I can type pretty fast but it isn't in the "proper" way. Of course now between virtual keyboards and voice recognition proper keyboarding is only one input method to consider.

#14 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:18 PM

I took keyboarding in grade 9. It was the last year they offered it, which is a shame.

I type about 50wpm. I have a couple errors. (btw- I usually post from my iPhone so most errors you see here are autocorrect.)

#15 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

I took it in highschool and it was seriuosly the BEST class I took. As you can see sometimes my right hand goes faster then my left but I type super fast. It so worth taking a keyboarding class !! mind you I text pretty fast too... and they dont' teach ya THAT in school... yet LOL

They did say in class that texting is now an acceptable method of communicating in the workplace!

#16 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

I took it in school and competed in various events through the years. I had always done very well with it and have always typed the "proper" way.
When I started taking it, we didn't have computers so when I arrived in class and my tippity tappity tipping were heard through the classroom there were always a lot of oohs and ahhs.

#17 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

When I first started typing, I absolutely hated it - - but than again, I was 14 and on a manual typewriter (lol).
Even my first job, typing was on a manual typewriter with no correction. Thank goodness for white out ! ! !

I get to brag here and say that at my fastest I was at 125 wpm with 2 errors, but now since I haven't typed daily in over 5 years, I am more at 75 wpm with 2 errors. But than again, I have been typing since I was 14 .... well over 20 years ! ! !

It simply is all about the practice. Pretty soon you won't even realize how fast you can actually type as it will have become second nature to you. Keep up the good work ! ! !

#18 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:13 PM

NO, if you misread my message on fb to you, then I apologize. I said I took the same course as you, I still HAVE MY BOOKS, I don't want to part with them, I also said that I graduated with HONOURS, it is the SAME program (or at least it was, 2 yrs ago) it was condensed, so 2 yr program was wrapped up into little over 8 months, I had LAWYERS teaching our LAW CLASSES. As do you at the college, but I told you now my career path has changed again, and there is little or no demand for law clerks or lawyers, so I am thinking when the baby is 5 or 6, venturing off to do my next adventure.

I offered to help you, b/c my friend who is in her second yr at the College, is taking the exact same things we did. AND b/c I graduated with honours and I used to have a huge passion for law, I could be of assistance.

:) sorry that you misunderstood me.

#19 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:17 PM

I too had a keyboarding class, Mrs Spicer taught it at Walkerville 1987-88.....that was grade 9 yr for me, it was a very valuable tool, too bad I couldn't see the forest for the trees back then. LOL

#20 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

I learned with a paper over the keyboard. You couldn't look. Eventually you learn. lol

#21 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:11 AM

Took typing in grade 9 on an actual typewriter! We were suposed to get 20 or 25 words a minute to pass. I didn't quite make it but the teacher passed me anyway. Now that I am on the computer keyboard daily I am much better with touch typing. I did a speed test a few days ago and I am now around 40wpm. I remember girls in HS aiming for 60 wpm. Most sectaries needed to do 80wpm for legal offices and such!

I loved my typing class. I sat beside a guy I had a crush on all through HS. For out "blind" practices the teacher would dictate with the lights off! LOL.....

#22 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

I never learned the proper way to type. I do the two finger typing but I am quite fast at it. If I concentrate I dont make mistakes too much but I tend to have to go back and correct when I am on here or FB

#23 ShannonC

ShannonC

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:44 AM

Yes, I type the proper way and pretty fast (about 80wpm - sometimes faster, depending). I took two typing classes which were required, one in grade 8 and the other in grade 9.

#24 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

I type "properly" about 35-40 WPM- mistakes...depends on the time of day-lol.
I also took typing- LOVED it.

#25 Jenn1980

Jenn1980

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

I'm sure i will get used to it and join the ranks with some of you guys, eventually, lol i hope so

#26 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

LOL!! Glad to know I'm not the only one with that problem - right hand is faster than the left!!

For me my typing speeds have increased over the years - but I'm at a computer all day every day..... It also depends on what I'm typing - if I'm typing free flowing messages here, I tend to type fairly quickly.... but if I'm copying something, I'm a bit slower as I'm still the type to look at my fingers as they go :)