13 replies to this topic

#1 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

i just wanted to start off by saying that I do have an appointment booked for kahlo to go in to see her vet- tomorrow- but i wanted to see what you think this could be.
so we moved into our new home over the long weekend- so almost 2 weeks ago- I can't recall which day she did it first- but she vomitted.
well now she is doing more often. We are remembering back- starting on sunday ( i think one time before that), Then each day after that - . all once a day- The one time it was at night- ( on our bed and on the floor- which it was clear) (sunday was brown after eating her food)
she will be asked to be let out- which we have to tie her up since it isnt' completely fenced in yet and automatically goes next to the neighbors house and sniffs and eats the grass. Now I know that they say they eat grass if their tummy is upset- but could this be a habit? 3 of the times she pukes right there. When she goes outside- she automatically goes to the same area to eat grass.
so what i am asking is do you think it could be nerves or she is sick?
She is her normal self ( with the exception of puking) she is still going to the washroom, drinking, being crazy -
what do you think?

#2 destany

destany

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:39 AM

maybe there is something on the neighbors grass? like chemicals? i dont know thats just the first thought i had .sorry not much help

#3 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

I agree with the above poster. Did she start eating the grass when you moved it? The neighbour could have some sort of pesticide on the grass causing her to vomit it up. I wouldn't say nerves if she is acting like herself otherwise, but more like something that she is eating is making her ill. Have you changed her food at all?? It's been a few weeks in the house now and she would have enough time to get used to her new surroundings. Hopefully the vet has an answer for you. For the time being, I would try walking her or taking her out yourself in the front or down the street to her business and see if anything changes. If the vomitting stops then I think its safe to say the grass is making her ill.

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

Sounds to me like she is eating something she shouldn't be eating. Take a walk around the yard and look at it from her perspective.

Have you changed food or treats?

HTH!

#5 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

her food has been the same and all the same treats. I have been trying to go out with her or keep an eye out on her - she can't reach too far being tied up.
Now the next door neighbors have dogs as well so i don't think they would have put something on the grass there..... i did move the stake - so she can't reach there-

I did think maybe there was stuff left in the yard from the previous owners that was harming her- dh has cut the grass twice- so no "food items- or moth balls or anything like that.

I just don't know what to do with her. she has been an odd dog- like will lick the registers in the floor ( i don't know what that is all about) but the puking- IDK? she just had a complete exam about a month ago- so not sure?

now when we first moved in the neighbor said her one dog was sick- had a bug- i am almost wondering if when dh let the dog say hello to her maybe she caught something??

thanks for the tips.
makes it a bit difficult to go out each time with the daycare kids- but we will make it work while it is nice out.

#6 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:15 PM

well we just went outside and she puked again- but didn't eat anything.... poor puppy.

#7 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

Could be a specific pollen or grass allergy? My dogs allergies are much worse in the fall and she has already been symptomatic the last couple weeks. She too gets a very upset stomach as well as redness in her eyes and sometimes a rash on her belly or under her arm pit area. If you can't find anything that she should not be eating in the yard and her food is the same than maybe she is more sensitive to some of he plants/trees in the new yard and its causing her to feel ill?

#8 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:53 PM

well she got progressively worse as the day went on- she had just kept throwing up. so i brought her into the vets right away. They did bloodwork. She was Severely dehydrated. The one section he was most concerned about said it was way above where it usually is- At this point he is treating for Pancreatitis. so a couple of injections, so fluid given and hopefully she is on her way to recovery. I need to keep an eye on her- any more vomitting- she needs to be seen again- and they will xray to see if she has something foreign in her tummy or blocking her intestines.

#9 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:08 AM

I am glad you took her in. I hope she feels better soon.

Pancreatitis is very treatable though!

#10 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

I am glad you took her in. I hope she feels better soon.

Pancreatitis is very treatable though!

I am hoping she perks up a bit... she is still heaving.... she did have a poop so that made me happy. I just hope nothing is stuck somewhere.

#11 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

Poor puppy...hope all is well soon.

#12 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

Poor girl :( Glad to hear you got it figured out and she is being treated. I'm sure she will be tip top in no time.

#13 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

How's she doing?

#14 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

she was booked to go in for xrays yesterday at 4:30- at about 2 she went over and had a bite to eat and a little drink- i was sooo happy. called the vet- if she ate and kept it down we didn't need xrays.
then yesterday she was back to her rambuntous self!!!
We were VERY worried about her. now she does not go outside without us- at least for a while - to keep a closer eye on her.
thanks for asking!!