12 replies to this topic

#1 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

I was sitting at work today talking to my co-worker about Art Van and Gardner White delivering furniture to Canada now and how they have awesome deals like 3 years no payments no interest. Would they offer the same to the Canadian customers? I would think not because they have no way to track our credit or hunt us down for missing a payment, correct? We were just curious if that would work for Canadians.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

#2 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

I've heard they don't but would also be interested in what others' experiences have been.

#3 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

I bought a 3 pc sectional on their Art Van CC with interest free payments for one year. :) HTH

#4 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

I bought a 3 pc sectional on their Art Van CC with interest free payments for one year. :) HTH

How did you apply for their CC if they can't do a credit check since we have a different set up of SIN numbers...

#5 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

I have to say we just bought our bedroom set from there and i wasn't that impressed. since we were "canadian" our transaction took about an hour- on top of the delivery charge you will also pay hst on the total- so really didn't save any money. we ended up pricing the same bedroom set here just a week ago - and we over paid by $250.

sorry i kind of hijacked your post- but just wanted to mention to shop around before hand.

#6 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:31 PM

How did you apply for their CC if they can't do a credit check since we have a different set up of SIN numbers...

I can show you my cc and statement that comes monthly if need be.. LOL
I applied in the store with no problem, instead of getting instant approval (that they could not do at the time (March of this yr) they sent me the CC.

:) I was not being smart assed with my comment, I was just stating that I have the CC and the monthly statements to show... :)

#7 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:33 PM

I applied in the store with no problem, instead of getting instant approval (that they could not do at the time (March of this yr) they sent me the CC.

:) I was not being smart assed with my comment, I was just stating that I have the CC and the monthly statements to show... :)

No I don't want to see your statement, I just didnt think as Canandians we could apply for American Credit cards. I was just looking online and they have an amazing leather 3 piece set for $894. Im in love! haha

#8 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

They do charge the HST, not MICHIGAN sales tax, if you wanted to take your own truck and cross the border then they would have charged you 6% sales tax (michigan) and not HST, then prob would of been charged HST at the border, so 19% tax (HST and Michigan tax)

I paid $80 for delivery, if I had 1 item or 14 items, not soo bad considering it's coming from across the river.

I love Art Van, our sectional would have cost $3,800 over here, and I was charged half of that.

:)

#9 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

No I don't want to see your statement, I just didnt think as Canandians we could apply for American Credit cards. I was just looking online and they have an amazing leather 3 piece set for $894. Im in love! haha

I have a few American CC's. Canadians can apply for certain ones. :)
They have great deals. :)

#10 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:41 PM

They do charge the HST, not MICHIGAN sales tax, if you wanted to take your own truck and cross the border then they would have charged you 6% sales tax (michigan) and not HST, then prob would of been charged HST at the border, so 19% tax (HST and Michigan tax)

I paid $80 for delivery, if I had 1 item or 14 items, not soo bad considering it's coming from across the river.

I love Art Van, our sectional would have cost $3,800 over here, and I was charged half of that.

So if I was to purchase the furniture I saw at $894 I would pay the 13% HST tax to have them ship here and not the michigan tax, plus a delivery charge of $80. What about paper work to bring it across the border whats the charge for that, if anything?

#11 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:06 PM

So if I was to purchase the furniture I saw at $894 I would pay the 13% HST tax to have them ship here and not the michigan tax, plus a delivery charge of $80. What about paper work to bring it across the border whats the charge for that, if anything?

By paying the HST usually handles customs, unless you picked furniture that was not made in Mexico or North America (Canada, Mexico and US) is part of the free trade agreement. So if your furniture was made in say, Italy, you would have to pay DUTY on top of the HST and the Delivery Fee.
If it was made in North America or Mexico, you just pay the HST and delivery fee. AND they deal with Canadians so they know what is made outside of the N.A. and Mexico.
I paid an extra $100 for a 5 yr warranty that covers everything. Plus most of the furniture comes with a one year warranty, nobody gives you a 5 yr cover to cover warranty over here for only a $100

#12 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

By paying the HST usually handles customs, unless you picked furniture that was not made in Mexico or North America (Canada, Mexico and US) is part of the free trade agreement. So if your furniture was made in say, Italy, you would have to pay DUTY on top of the HST and the Delivery Fee.
If it was made in North America or Mexico, you just pay the HST and delivery fee. AND they deal with Canadians so they know what is made outside of the N.A. and Mexico.
I paid an extra $100 for a 5 yr warranty that covers everything. Plus most of the furniture comes with a one year warranty, nobody gives you a 5 yr cover to cover warranty over here for only a $100

Awesome! Looks like mommas getting some new furniture haha

Edited by Gillian, 18 September 2011 - 03:15 PM.

#13 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

Awesome! Looks like mommas getting some new furniture haha

:) Yahoooo