3 replies to this topic

#1 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

First of all, Paisely isn't the brightest dog. She is also 2 and a half.

She picks and chooses when she wants to listen, and when I take her places that can get frustrating. At the park, sometimes she comes when called, and sometimes she won't. She is also the one I have issues with walking. We've tried the collar that goes across the nose, prong collar, etc, and she still pulls. Plus she has recently started that basically for the first 5 minutes of our walk she barks nonstop. It's getting to the point where I don't want to walk her, but I feel too guilty to bring one dog for a walk and not the other.

What can I do to correct these behaviours?

My other dog doesn't have these issues, and I was hoping rewarding her behaviour would influence the other one, but it doesn't.

#2 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:13 PM

Is she not listening or not understanding? A lot of people who do home based training end up sending mixed signals to their dogs that results in them not really understanding what you are asking them. The best way to teach a dog to come when called is to work on it in a place with few distractions. Consistency is key, but don't go overboard. Basically I would go into the yard, do a sit/stay, walk back ten feet, call, sit/stay and praise if done well. I would work on it for about 5-10 minutes and then call it a day. Once your dog understand what you are asking of them, they should obey.

As for pulling, have you tried umbilical? If that does not work a pull restraint harness is great because it teaches the dog not to pull by using their own weight to slow them down. I'm not a fan of training devices, most people use them wrong and just confuse the poor dog, but with the pull restraint you can quickly graduate to a collar and leash.

If all else fails getting in touch with a good trainer might be your best bet.

#3 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

Call Jean at Crossroads..she is the best of the best...no dog is too old for training.

Edited by JeepMom, 23 September 2011 - 11:12 AM.

#4 murkywaters

murkywaters

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,645 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

I'd start to look into training. If you've tried these things have you been as consistent as you could be and have you been doing it correctly. Go watch one of the training classes that I went to.