29 replies to this topic

#1 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

And I think it's cause it's what I've had for so long.

Long story short...I have to cut down on some bills. One thing I can cut is our home phone.

Both DH and I do have cell phones. We have the couples plan. We talk free to one another, we never go over our minutes that are allotted either. I really don't wanna give up our cells. It works for us, cause he is in St. Clair daily...so if I have to get a hold of him or someone for the kids, we can. And for me if I'm not home and my ODS babysits he can get a hold of me if needed. And if the future plans work out I'll need it. Now that is why our landline was still in use, for the use in case of emergency if my son was babysitting.

So...

By cutting out our home phone we cut our finances by $50 a month (we are with Cogeco). Yes it's $50, but that amount here and there really does add up. I was in the mall the other day and stopped at a kiosk where our cell company is and they have a phone I can get to add onto our plan we already have. It'll be a free phone with free evenings and weekends after 5pm, unlimited texting and 100 anytime mins all for $25. We were thinking of getting rid of the home phone and adding that. So that phone will become basically the landline fill in for my son. I do not want to leave it where if my son is babysitting, DH is in school and my son has no phone to call in case of emergency. KWIM?

I know that it's saving only $25 now instead of $50. I guess I am struggling of getting rid of the landline I have had the same number for for 12 years.

I know having a landline is good in one way, but with Cogeco if the cable goes out, our phone goes out.

What do you guys think? Help me decide please. My mind is in a million places right now and I'm having such a hard time seeing it clearly right now. Thanks.

#2 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

It depends if you want the portability of that extra phone. We have just a bare minimum line with Bell (We can't even make a long distance call unless we go through those different "plans". We use Call Zone from Onlinetel for that.). It's $24 a month. I don't love Bell, but if all you want is an "in case" phone, you could save just as much money and not have any kind of contract. Some of the deals from Cogeco for home phone are great "deals", but we don't need all of those features, so this works for us.

#3 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

Why don't you get rid of all the services on your landline and just go basic basic.... No voicemail, no caller i.d, no extras and lower your bill that way?

#4 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

Oh I forgot, this new phone does NOT have a contract.

And with Cogeco there isn't pick and choose your features...kwim? Unless they changed it.

#5 canadianangel

canadianangel

Mom2momer since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

I have cogeco phone it 19.99 a month plus the 4$ for the answering machine. we saw a big different on our bill just having that!

#6 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

So they have it where you can choose now? I'm going into the store tomorrow at the mall so I'll check it out.

#7 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:54 PM

Cogeco has a free phone service if you have other things, internet/cable. I saw this last month.

We have a magic jack and our cell phones. Works for us..

#8 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:56 PM

Cogeco has a free phone service if you have other things, internet/cable. I saw this last month.

How so? Is this for new customers?

#9 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

I dont know if its for new customers I didnt look into it because we werent interested but here is the website, looks like they still have it. Its for 24mths tho and I dont like contracts lol that is part of the reason I didnt look into it more..

http://www.cogeco.ca...ntial/index.php

#10 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

I dont know if its for new customers I didnt look into it because we werent interested but here is the website, looks like they still have it. Its for 24mths tho and I dont like contracts lol that is part of the reason I didnt look into it more..

http://www.cogeco.ca...ntial/index.php

The fine print says new customers, but you had me intrigued since we have our internet with them.

#11 mom2spiritedboys

mom2spiritedboys

Just getting started

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

We just switched to Cogeco for home phone. We have the basic (no caller I'd etc) and we get it for ZERO dollars a month for 2 years. We've only had it for 2 weeks but no issues whatsoever so far.

We had contemplated going to no home phone and just use our cells but can't beat ZERO cost.

#12 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

Well that just sucks. Sorry if I got your hopes up :(

#13 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

I would go with cogeco basic phone or if its just for emergencies then get the 711 speakout phone. Theres no contract and minutes don't expire for a year.

#14 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

Thank you! I will be going to the store tomorrow. Maybe I can work something out IF I decide to remain with them...lol.

#15 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

oh i was going to say you could call them- i think they are open till 9. we switched to cogeco and have been happy with the service. i have the phone service and it isn't the basic - i think i have 2 services - call waiting and caller id and i pay $29.

#16 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

Ya I like the lower price obviously. But that's for new customers. :(

I'll see what kind of bargain I can maybe get tomorrow. If it was lower I'd stay with them...but just trying to cut corners here where I can and what works for us...kwim?

As much as I like the answering machine I can do without. I like caller ID, but I could do without. I don't need call waiting either. I am not on my home phone much. I mainly use my cell.

#17 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:42 PM

I just dropped our Cogeco bill down from a larger package. We had too much of a bill for what we were using. I got ours down around the $30 mark and I'm not a new customer. I did the switch by phone. Definitely look into it! :)

#18 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

Some companies will give you special rates when you tell them you are going to drop them for a better rate somewhere else. Call their customer service department before you go into the store/another company, and see what they will offer you to keep your business.

#19 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

See for us, I dropped our cell phones, I am getting one down the road, JUST for emergencies, I could not justify (anymore) paying the cell phone company crazy amounts of $ for a cell phone that my DH did not use and paying almost $80 for mine (that was the cost after all my bells and whistles and data plan) I don't need to be ON FB that much, I was literally on my phone or on my laptop from the morning to night, RIDICULOUS....I dropped them almost 2 months ago and I don't miss it one ioda.

I want to look into one with no contracts that is strictly for emergencies (car breaks down or when I go into labour) so I reduced our monthly bills by $120 just by eliminating our plans.

#20 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:13 AM

I thought of how we can rid of our cells, but because of the way our schedules are and what has happened in our lives in the last 9 months it's better to have our cells. There's been so much that has come up in the last bit that sometimes getting a hold of me or someone right away is critical. I can't get into details on the board here. With DH in school full time it's much easier to call or text his cell then to call St. Clair and have to reach him that way. KWIM? I did cut things on my cell. DH has just basic. He doesn't text but can recieve them. I don't have internet on my phone...there is no need too since I have it at home. But with the thought of cutting our cells out completely even if we did, we'd only be saving $20 if it meant cell phone or home phones, with the cell being more portable it's better to cut home phone and have 2 cells and like I said cell and a phone at home (whether it be landline or another cell) just in case there is an emergency when my DS babysits to me is priceless...kwim? But I want to save where I can and what works for us...kwim? I say kwim a lot don't I? HAHAHAHA

DH and I are going for coffee shortly together and going to chat and check out some places to see what the best option is. Cutting cells ISN'T out of the equation BUT are definately ALMOST a necessity for us.

#21 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

I looked into getting rid of my land line also. But, I don't have caller ID or call answer on my phones. Once I added that it was the same as having the land line.

I like having a land line. But, I don't really use my cell and most of my calls are/would be long distance. for me it is no savings. My home phone is with Bell along with my internet (all I can get where I am). My phone is 39.99 plus tax (in a bundle with a long distance plan and discounts on a 1yr contract)My cell is around 80/mo! that is a couples plan with only 150min/mo shared. Like I said, we don't really use them anyway. When my contract is up I will look into another phone but, more than likely I'll keep the home phone and ditch the cells. I may get BF one because he sometimes uses his for work. I have no reason to have one though. Unless somebody is dying there is no reason anyone needs to call me right at that second. They can call home and leave a message or they can call somebody who will know where I am then call there!

#22 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

If you are with cogeco for your phone why is it that much ? We switched to them and they are $19.99 a mth base price and $3.00 per other options.

I would call them and ask to lower your bill first.

#23 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:26 AM

I only pay like $15 a month for cogeco...and it is free installation if you already have a service..I have only the phone nothing else...I dont see the point in getting the answer machine through them esp when the phone I have has a built in answer machine.

#24 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

There is a phone that goes threw your computer and its only $19.99 a YEAR. You get them at Radio Shack.

#25 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

I thought of how we can rid of our cells, but because of the way our schedules are and what has happened in our lives in the last 9 months it's better to have our cells. There's been so much that has come up in the last bit that sometimes getting a hold of me or someone right away is critical. I can't get into details on the board here. With DH in school full time it's much easier to call or text his cell then to call St. Clair and have to reach him that way. KWIM? I did cut things on my cell. DH has just basic. He doesn't text but can recieve them. I don't have internet on my phone...there is no need too since I have it at home. But with the thought of cutting our cells out completely even if we did, we'd only be saving $20 if it meant cell phone or home phones, with the cell being more portable it's better to cut home phone and have 2 cells and like I said cell and a phone at home (whether it be landline or another cell) just in case there is an emergency when my DS babysits to me is priceless...kwim? But I want to save where I can and what works for us...kwim? I say kwim a lot don't I? HAHAHAHA

DH and I are going for coffee shortly together and going to chat and check out some places to see what the best option is. Cutting cells ISN'T out of the equation BUT are definately ALMOST a necessity for us.

<3
I just said for us it was pointless to pay $120, and my husband now has me more to himself, since I can't go on the net everywhere we go, if ya kwim (lol), but I said FOR US. I understand why you need yours. :)

Good Luck today and hope you find what you want. :)

#26 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

Oh I know Tammy. I was just saying what I could say as to why a cell is essential for us.

I went to Cogeco today and got our home phone down to $19.99 a month. I am going just basic for phone as that is all we need for our home phone. We have a built in answering machine in our phone, but I didn't know that Cogeco had optional features now, as when we got their phone service it just came with everything. So this thread actually was very useful. Thanks ladies.

#27 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

You can switch to the basic plan. I think it's only something like 14.95 a month. The 50$ gives you free long distance to Canada and I think the US anytime no limit. We have that plan too, because my husband has family out of town that he talks to a lot. The 15$ plan only has something like 100 long distance minutes. If that works for you though, that's a good deal!!

#28 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

Jill are you talking about Cogeco? Plan from where?

#29 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, cogego. It may not be that cheap, but it's much cheaper than 50$!!

#30 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:06 PM

Ya. We are with Cogeco and the cheapest they'll give me is $19.99. I'll take it! LOL