14 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

A girl came into our class a week and half after it started. She registered late and its not a big deal, she just has to catch up. She was sitting in my row next to my friend and the four of us who were sitting next to her helped her out as much as we could to get her caught up. On Monday she moved to the front so she could be closer to the teacher and that way he could help her out a little, which is obviously a good idea, but already she is feeling a little put down because the girls sitting next to her roll their eyes and laugh when she asks the teacher to review something or states that she doesn't get it. I'm just boggled by it and the poor gal is feeling put down because she is now sitting next to what one would assume are three know-it-alls who obviously don't need this class because they can already do it(or so they seem to think). I would have thought that because this is a class full of people who are retraining for a second career oh and the fact that we are all adults that the playground antics would not exist and everyone would help each other. Its very sad! One of the girls sitting next to her actually had the audacity to mumble under her breath "are you serious" yesturday when she asked for something to be explained again, which I'm guessing the teacher heard because he then proceeded to tell everyone that if anyone has an issue or is uncertain they 100% should feel confident to raise their had and he will go over it again until everyone is comfortable. I'm just really surprised by this sort of behavior from adults!

#2 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

That's too bad... Maybe you can befriend her and let her know that those 3 girls are idiots and she has every right to ask any question she wants to. There were people like that when I went to college too, but I just ignored them and carried on with my studies. There'll always be people like that, no matter what age!

#3 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

OMG!! I am SO sick of hearing about "mean girls" who are grown women. Seriously. We will never fix the bullying issues if the ADULTS can't get their acts together.

How sad for her that she can't ask questions that she has paid full up to learn the answers to.

#4 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:07 PM

Aww that poor girl!! It's hard enough being the new girl, without the other girls being catty b*tches! If I were you, I'd take her under my wing. I always had a soft spot for the underdog. Wait till she catches up and the other b*tches will be eating crow!!

PS - what kind of class are you taking??

Edited by DivineMrsM, 05 October 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#5 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

That poor girl! It really sucks that grown women can't act properly. I really hate hearing about people being excluded for any reason at all. I get that not everyone will get along, but there is no need to be rude at all!

I also recommend befriending her. I'm sure she will be a great friend!

Edited by Jen.Uh.Fur, 05 October 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#6 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:27 PM

We did befriend her. She comes on breaks with us and we keep in contact via facebook, she was the one who pointed out the issue and then when you actually pay attention to it you see what's going on. Its so sad. Unfortunately we think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the giggle girls think they are hot shit and the new girl is overweight. I hate those kin of people. Dana we are taking Medical Office fast track. Good course thus far :)

#7 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

We did befriend her. She comes on breaks with us and we keep in contact via facebook, she was the one who pointed out the issue and then when you actually pay attention to it you see what's going on. Its so sad. Unfortunately we think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the giggle girls think they are hot shit and the new girl is overweight. I hate those kin of people. Dana we are taking Medical Office fast track. Good course thus far :)

Good for you! How long is the course?

It's sad that there are still cliques as adults. It's one thing to be a group of friends with a common interest or whatever. It's a WHOLE other ballgame when it's a clique. You can really feel the difference between the 2. I know. I've been in both. LOL!

#8 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

Good for you and your group to circle around her and help her feel included! :)

#9 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

Do they need to be mean about it? No. But it irritated me to no end when people held up the lesson plans on materials already covered. HUGE pet peeve. Especially in an accelerated program!

Everyone is bound to need clarification every now and then, but when it's the same person(s) repetitively it gets old fast. If you can't absorb the information relatively quickly an accelerated course is a very risky choice anyways. Those who help her in class will not be there to hold her hand on the job either.

My pov on this is probably inflamed by my lack of patience, but you have certain responsibilities that adult students should be fully aware of. I know the ones who did this in my MOA program were the ones who didn't bother to open their books outside of class time to study. I didn't pay out the a$$ and spend hours of my own time making sure I knew the materials cold to be stuck with people who find excuses and/or reasons to not be prepared for class.

#10 DoubleD

DoubleD

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

Maybe go early and take the front seats so those girls can't sit there. Kudos to her for taking the time to ask questions. I know there's soooo many times when I am unsure in class but because of our class sizes I usually just leave it and look it up on my own.

Unfortunately, the cliques and gossip and playground antics as you put it don't end once you graduate high school. There's a lot of that sort of thing in my course as well and you just have to learn to ignore it for the sake of your own learning. Everyone learns at different paces so it only seems fitting that the teacher may have to stop and clarify once in a while.

#11 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

Do they need to be mean about it? No. But it irritated me to no end when people held up the lesson plans on materials already covered. HUGE pet peeve. Especially in an accelerated program!

Everyone is bound to need clarification every now and then, but when it's the same person(s) repetitively it gets old fast. If you can't absorb the information relatively quickly an accelerated course is a very risky choice anyways. Those who help her in class will not be there to hold her hand on the job either.

My pov on this is probably inflamed by my lack of patience, but you have certain responsibilities that adult students should be fully aware of. I know the ones who did this in my MOA program were the ones who didn't bother to open their books outside of class time to study. I didn't pay out the a$$ and spend hours of my own time making sure I knew the materials cold to be stuck with people who find excuses and/or reasons to not be prepared for class.

Oh no it drives me crazy when people hold up the class because they where to busy sitting on facebook and not paying attention, but these girls are just being rude for the sake of being snotty. The new girl is catching up fine and not asking stupid questions, so its not like she is holding things up, its all relative to the current lesson.

Maybe go early and take the front seats so those girls can't sit there. Kudos to her for taking the time to ask questions. I know there's soooo many times when I am unsure in class but because of our class sizes I usually just leave it and look it up on my own.

Unfortunately, the cliques and gossip and playground antics as you put it don't end once you graduate high school. There's a lot of that sort of thing in my course as well and you just have to learn to ignore it for the sake of your own learning. Everyone learns at different paces so it only seems fitting that the teacher may have to stop and clarify once in a while.

We are working on set computers, so you can't move, plus I would prefer to not be in that row either since I would have an issue keeping the muzzle on in such close quarters.

#12 joeyjoey

joeyjoey

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

I AGREE! I'm taking Med Terminology this term, and we had a test tonight (week 3). I spent at least 15 hours studying for it this week.
A woman showed up tonight for the first time. So, she couldn't write the test. Afterwards she was complaining to me that the teacher was talking too fast & she couldn't understand things. I tried to explain, "We covered those things in the last 2 weeks... Everyone else in the class already understands it. That's why she didn't explain it again."

THEN the woman says to me, "Give me your phone # so that I can come get your text book sometime this week."

HUH?

She didn't even ask! And I thought, "And I'm going to give you my textbook, WHY? So that I can be without it & not able to study during the week?"

This is my first class, & first time back to school in a decade. I'll be darned if I'm going to let a slacker drag me down! I paid good money for the course, and it takes me away from my family every week. It means something to me, and I was PISSED OFF that a slacker thought that the class should help her out to catch up, and that I should risk handing her my book & losing out on my study time.

#13 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

A girl came into our class a week and half after it started. She registered late and its not a big deal, she just has to catch up. She was sitting in my row next to my friend and the four of us who were sitting next to her helped her out as much as we could to get her caught up. On Monday she moved to the front so she could be closer to the teacher and that way he could help her out a little, which is obviously a good idea, but already she is feeling a little put down because the girls sitting next to her roll their eyes and laugh when she asks the teacher to review something or states that she doesn't get it. I'm just boggled by it and the poor gal is feeling put down because she is now sitting next to what one would assume are three know-it-alls who obviously don't need this class because they can already do it(or so they seem to think). I would have thought that because this is a class full of people who are retraining for a second career oh and the fact that we are all adults that the playground antics would not exist and everyone would help each other. Its very sad! One of the girls sitting next to her actually had the audacity to mumble under her breath "are you serious" yesturday when she asked for something to be explained again, which I'm guessing the teacher heard because he then proceeded to tell everyone that if anyone has an issue or is uncertain they 100% should feel confident to raise their had and he will go over it again until everyone is comfortable. I'm just really surprised by this sort of behavior from adults!

Just because they are adults doesn't mean they are mature. That's so sad. Everyone learns differently and at different paces. I feel bad for her that those girls are being like that. Sometimes people just don't take things serious when they should.

#14 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

Well she is back in our row and doing well. We are going to help her stay on top of everything and this way she doesn't have to fell put down by the "know-it-all" club at the front. Funny thing is today they seem to be struggling a little :)

#15 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

Sad really. Unfortunately age is not indicative of maturity. I have no patience for petty school girl games