40 replies to this topic

#1 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

on am800 right now they are talking about how this christian group is getting together and on halloween they will be passing out the mini bibles in the kids bags as they feel the day should be about jesus not pagan

what do you think

#2 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

Halloween is for fun! They can give my kid a bible all they want, it's nothing my mother wont try to give them! lol

Honestly, people take life WAYYY too seriously. Can't it just be about the kids and having a good time?

#3 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:44 AM

That kind of stuff pisses me off!!!

Halloween has it's origins as a PAGAN fall harvest festival.... and when this group is giving out bibles for it, it's a bit of a slap in the face.... PAGAN has nothing against Jesus or Christians, and we are not devil worshippers..... so please stop trying to convert us! the "christians" have all the other holidays, leave ours alone!

LOL!!

#4 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

Halloween was actually a harvest celebration to mark the end of summer and prepare for the long winter months to come know as samain day. It was celtic celecbration and if people actually did their research they would see that the devide between the celts and chritians about this holiday was resolved by all saints day on Nov 1 which remembers all the saints and what they dod. It actually my favorit holiday and I kinda feel irritated that so many chritians are ignorant about this day. It is not about devil worship or dark magic and furthermore through time has become more of a hallmark celebration for children that is slowly being ruined by religious extemists. Let them habd outt bibles if it makes them feel better and laugh at them for not being educatued about this day.

#5 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

As religious as I am and that I don't celebrate halloween I think that this is the wrong time. There is a proper time and place to do things. And after all if they are doing this doesn't this mean they are partaking in the event? I agree with sharing of your beliefs but there's a proper time for it...and this isn't it.

#6 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

Rather than hijacking this thread, I started a spinoff with a great article discussing the origins of Halloween as we now it today, and how us Pagans celebrate Samhain....

#7 Beautiful-Soul

Beautiful-Soul

Member for almost 2 years

• Members
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

See this is a very touchy subject for alot of people... it should be brought to the hot debute! lol

IMO I think its great... its not like they are standing there preaching at them. Just giving them a bible and trying to get more kids involved and learn more about GOD. Id see it more as a gift and would be very thankful.

#8 canadianangel

canadianangel

Mom2momer since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

I agree with there is a time and place and Halloween is currently for children and they don't know any different. So handing out a bible is on Halloween is NOT the right time. Really hate when people push their religion on others grrrrrr.

#9 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

I agree with there is a time and place and Halloween is currently for children and they don't know any different. So handing out a bible is on Halloween is NOT the right time. Really hate when people push their religion on others grrrrrr.

Not all push...but the reason why people try to pass info on the bible is because it states to do so. To teach others. But that's a whole other topic...but yes as I stated earlier halloween is not the time IMO.

#10 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

So what about the Christians that take their children trick or treating? I am not saying that is right or wrong, but just saying..

I am not religious, but I surely don't say woo hoo A, it's the Witching Night, it's the Devil's night, for crying out loud his birthday happens to be on HALLOWEEN...LOL...

It is a FUN night, a fun holiday, and I really wish our kids were allowed to dress up at school just like I was when I was a kid.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

#11 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

That would piss me off....dont push your religion on me or my child...if you dont like the day then dont celebrate it, but please respect those that choose honour it.

I hate it when any religion pushes their belief's on another person...its not right. That is one reason I will not follow any religion.

#12 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

So what about the Christians that take their children trick or treating? I am not saying that is right or wrong, but just saying..

I am not religious, but I surely don't say woo hoo A, it's the Witching Night, it's the Devil's night, for crying out loud his birthday happens to be on HALLOWEEN...LOL...

It is a FUN night, a fun holiday, and I really wish our kids were allowed to dress up at school just like I was when I was a kid.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

I 100% agree with you. It's even changed from when I was a kid.

I would actually be angry if someone gave my child a bible. IMO it's not their call. Don't participate at all if you don't agree with it.

#13 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:44 PM

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

I would actually be angry if someone gave my child a bible. IMO it's not their call. Don't participate at all if you don't agree with it.

Are you saying that I am an old and ancient :p lol, just kidding...:)

#14 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

Are you saying that I am an old and ancient :p lol, just kidding...:)

LOL!

#15 contentlife

contentlife

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

We are Christians and we go out for Halloween. It is just a fun night and that is all to us. It isn't celebrating anything but fun, candy and neighbours. We have friends who do not go out for Halloween for Christian reasons and I understand why they don't as well.
I don't necessarily think it is wrong to put bibles in bags at Halloween but I also don't think it will help. Parents that don't believe or choose to raise their children in a certain way probably will not allow their children to keep the bible anyway. Children that are Christians will have a bible already. I fear it may do more harm than good.

#16 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

I think its disgusting. I would tell them to keep it. I'm so sick of religious people coming to my door, stopping me on the bus, street etc telling me what I should believe or think. I don't go knocking on doors and handing out what I believe.

#17 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:55 PM

I dont like it at all. It is no ones business but mine on what religion I teach my children. I take offense to people like this making my holiday into something about devil worship. Not even close!

I dont go knocking on doors at Christmas handing out pentacles

#18 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:48 AM

what i dont understand is if they dont believe in halloween because its a pagan tradition why are they participating in the day by giving anything out at all seems a bit hypocritical to me

#19 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:58 AM

see I am on the side of you go trick or treating you get whatever that person decides to give you be it a bible or those crappy chewy halloween candies (I know some people enjoy those...yuck). My point is as a parent you go through the bag and remove the items you don't want your kid having. If you don't want them to have the bible then remove it. Simple.

Do I think their tactic to "spread the word" in this manner will have any affect on anyone? unlikely.

#20 theresab

theresab

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:02 AM

I am Christian and attend church every Sunday, yet this would tick me off. People have to believe what they believe on their own and ir is NOBODYS business to try and push anything on anybody. I get really TICKED at work almost daily when a certain group of people knock God in general and make jokes about it....it hurts inside. But, I say NOTHING. My beliefs are private to my own heart and my journey and relationship with God, is my own.

This makes me just as angry as when certain groups try to tell me that I CANNOT say Merry Christmas. ABSOLUTELY I can say it if I so choose. That is MY right and belief and I have the right to express myself in any manner I so choose about the holiday. My kids have ALWAYS celebrated Halloween, we should teach our kids acceptance of everybody FOR THE WAY THEY ARE AND THE THINGS THEY BELIEVE rather then try to make everyone into what we believe. What a boring world it would be, if we all looked the same, sounded the same and believed the same. If I want my children to have a bible, I will get it for them. If I want them to have crystals and a pendulum, I will get them that as well. My kids have all of that, as well as informational books as to how and why they are used. We also an informational book about the Torrah, and an Islamic Koran, translated into English on half the pages in this house. I don't believe in blocking information from my children, I believe in giving them all they need to learn and grow, letting them make their own decisions, AND showing them my beliefs by example. DH and I go to church on Sundays. We have four teens in this house, one chooses to come with us every week, two choose to come with us on holidays and when they are up early enough and there is nothing they prefer on tv or in the fridge, and one chooses to come with us...never. And, that is ALL just fine. We love them all the same, they are their own persons and need to grow as such! This house is about ACCEPTANCE, that is what we try to teach.

#21 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:09 AM

See this is a very touchy subject for alot of people... it should be brought to the hot debute! lol

IMO I think its great... its not like they are standing there preaching at them. Just giving them a bible and trying to get more kids involved and learn more about GOD. Id see it more as a gift and would be very thankful.

I should be thankful at a tacky action to try to get my kids (or currently my nieces & nephews) more involved & learn more about a being that i nor my partner believe in or religion i cannot & will not support?
Bullshit.
I'll be thankful when people stop trying to shove their religion & beliefs down my (& my children's) throat.
& i can say that if i did take my kids out & this happened i would politely decline & let them know we aren't interested.
If they got pushy, as they always do, then we'd have an issue.

#22 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

I should be thankful at a tacky action to try to get my kids (or currently my nieces & nephews) more involved & learn more about a being that i nor my partner believe in or religion i cannot & will not support?
Bullshit.
I'll be thankful when people stop trying to shove their religion & beliefs down my (& my children's) throat.
& i can say that if i did take my kids out & this happened i would politely decline & let them know we aren't interested.

These people would freak if we handed out gay pride stickers or anything deemed against the church.

#23 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

Bullshit.

These people would freak if we handed out gay pride stickers or anything deemed against the church.

RIGHT!
That is my problem, they don't want my values & beliefs shoved down their throats, but they can do it to us and we should be "thankful".
/rolls eyes.

Edited by justsamma, 19 October 2011 - 08:45 AM.

#24 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

LMAO!! Oh, you gals are awesome! I'd love to see the look on "their" faces being handed a Pagan pamphlet or a gay pride brochure!!

On one hand, I don't mind too often when "they" are "spreading the word", but when "they" get pushy, it just pisses me off! As others have said, there is a time and a place for it, and I just don't see Halloween night as being the appropriate time or place for this!!

#25 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

see I am on the side of you go trick or treating you get whatever that person decides to give you be it a bible or those crappy chewy halloween candies (I know some people enjoy those...yuck). My point is as a parent you go through the bag and remove the items you don't want your kid having. If you don't want them to have the bible then remove it. Simple.

Do I think their tactic to "spread the word" in this manner will have any affect on anyone? unlikely.

But they are supposed to be handing out candy not bibles.

I don't think its the place to be doing that

#26 Hunnybunches

Hunnybunches

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

look...my kids want SUGAR.if you cant eat that bible,or anything else Ive seen stuffed in our bags(avon brochures,free classes etc).....then dont put it in the bag
i remember getting dollar bills as a kid,where the hell are those now????LMAO

#27 boysrfun

boysrfun

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

look...my kids want SUGAR.if you cant eat that bible,or anything else Ive seen stuffed in our bags(avon brochures,free classes etc).....then dont put it in the bag
i remember getting dollar bills as a kid,where the hell are those now????LMAO

Dollars? no fair, all i got was pennies lol

#28 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

It doesn't bother me. I've always gone through all my niece's/nephew's candy before they ate anything and I'll do the same with my son this year. If there was ever anything I found to be inappropriate I'd get rid of it... plain and simple. I wouldn't be bothered by someone giving my son a bible, but if I was, I'd just take out out of the bag and donate it. There will always be people who will hand out questionable stuff. Not something to get too upset about, unless it's something that will physically hurt them, IMO.

#29 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

I hate to say it, Aubrey, but if you passed out gay pride stickers the kids would likely just make a game out of pasting them on their friends' backs.

Edited by Outnumbered, 19 October 2011 - 08:31 PM.

#30 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

Yeah- I'd be ticked forsure.
Yes, you can remove it, but it is now wasteful trash. Best to give them to those who actually want them

#31 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:04 AM

the reality of halloween is you are knocking on the door of complete strangers (most of the time). this kinda goes back to the driving to other neighbourhood post but I digress. I stay in my neighbourhood I know which neighbours participate and which ones are kind to my kids. - we go to those doors....again I digress whole other topic but it fits in..

because the point is you are taking a risk knocking people's HOMES and expecting them to act like YOU think they should. You are coming into their personal space. Yes it would be nice they all acted in the spirit of halloween but again it is their home. The people on the other end of that door can be doing or saying anything and there is a lot worst things that a kid can be subjected to -- just imagine the things that can be said and done when a stranger opens their door. Of couse the hope is they don't use Halloween for anything more than a fun kids night..the hope is they smile and hand out candy.......My point is there are people who are choosing, at their own doors, to hand out a bible, an apple, a trinket (insert whatever most hated halloween treat you get here) or nothing...... I would say 90percent of what we get is waste (do your kids really need that much?) So to that end I would go through it - check to make sure no wack job tampered with it, put aside the stuff they would eat, put a pile towards donate/throw out and move on and and be grateful no naked people or grumpy people yelling or scary people opened their door causing my kid real issues vs a bible in a bag....

#32 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

the reality of halloween is you are knocking on the door of complete strangers (most of the time).

hahaha i always did find this funny we tell our kids dont talk to strangers
and one of the examples of strangers trying to lure your kids was with candy and so we say dont take candy from strangers
yet on halloween we take our kids to strangers homes and get candy from them LOL

#33 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

the reality of halloween is you are knocking on the door of complete strangers (most of the time).

hahaha i always did find this funny we tell our kids dont talk to strangers
and one of the examples of strangers trying to lure your kids was with candy and so we say dont take candy from strangers
yet on halloween we take our kids to strangers homes and get candy from them LOL

true.... but I think the big difference is that (1) you are with them and (2) people "typically" stick around neighbourhoods they know, or know some people in.... for example, I'm taking the kids trick or treating around my mom's place because I know her neighbours... I've just moved into my place, and don't know neighbours yet....

as parents we want to wrap our children in a bubble and protect them from all the evils of the world, but I feel it's more important in the long run to prepare them to deal with the bad stuff.... ((could totally go off topic with that....))

#34 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

You could always just say "no thank you" and keep going on your way. If a family's beliefs were that healthy, whole foods are the best to consume and they handed out an orange or an apple due to that belief, would you get all bent out of shape and rude about that? What about the family that doesn't believe in handing out candy and they hand out an activity book instead but you don't like the pictures- still cause for being rude? I don't think that's any different. Is that why we trick or treat? Nope. But there's always a way to be kind to the people who have different ideas/beliefs than we do.

#35 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

Giving out oranges or activity books are totally different than Bibles. They aren't telling you what belief system to believe in. Its not being pushy. Giving out Bibles to be informative is one thing but giving them out BC you want to reclaim Halloween is a bit much. Its never been a Christian Holiday.