40 replies to this topic

#36 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

Well, they are telling you which type of activity book to use! Pushy and presumptuous, no? :tongue

I don't know, I just don't see this as that big of a deal!

#37 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

I'm with Jill, this is a ridiculous debate. If you don't want it, say no thanks or drop it in a donation bin.

Edited by JavaBean, 20 October 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#38 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

Its no big deal to those who believe in God.
To someone who doesn't its insulting. I never tell people what I believe is what they should believe.
I don't knock on doors handing out The Watch Tower magazines trying to convince people to believe "The word of God"
Religion should be a personal decision where interested parties can go out and search out the religion they choose.
Everyone gets upset because we can say Merry Christmas. Halloween is like Christmas for pagans/wiccans.

#39 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:30 AM

We wont ever stop extremists from doing their thing. The best thing we can do, IMO, is ignore them. They have far less power when we ignore them. The more fuss we make, the more attention they get, and the more they achieve their goal! Teach you kids what you want them to know, and that there will always be someone out there trying to sway them another way..if they learn to be open minded but hold strong to their beliefs and their values, than it wont matter so much what other people do or say.

#40 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

Its no big deal to those who believe in God.
To someone who doesn't its insulting. I never tell people what I believe is what they should believe.
I don't knock on doors handing out The Watch Tower magazines trying to convince people to believe "The word of God"
Religion should be a personal decision where interested parties can go out and search out the religion they choose.
Everyone gets upset because we can say Merry Christmas. Halloween is like Christmas for pagans/wiccans.

It's not just Jehovah's Witnesses that go door to door. And it's not JW's handing out the bibles at halloween either. A JW does NOT tell you what you should believe...they just share with you what the bible says.

They live by the bible and are scripturally informed to spread the news of God. I am sorry if you find it insulting that they are sharing their beliefs with you.

But as I said before it's about proper time and place. And honestly if we are told you are not interested and to not come back, they will try to not come to your door. You do get different people from within the congregration that go through your area...it's not just the same people. But after all shouldn't we all be respectful toward one another?

Take this for example:

You find a cure for cancer, would you not want to share it with everyone? Of course you would. Well it's much like JW, they live by the bible, and in the bible they believe that God will take any suffering away and cure all disease and death will be no more, so they want to share that news with everyone too much like you would if you found a cure for cancer.

My DH wanted no part of religion before, he used to go to church not with JW but another religion, but stopped believing for many reasons, anyways when they came knocking on our door, he had his views of them, and it wasn't good. He judged them, and did so without taking the time to get to know what and why they believe in the bible. But after him over hearing what we were talking about time and time again, he became curious. He sat down and got to know them. And today he says he's a better person for it, and that he had judged them before and had bad views when really all it was was rumors. They are good people. And honestly today I am a better person too. Our lives are much better and peaceful. They do not tell you their personal stance on things but rather they quote it from the bible.

As a side note: I am not interested in debating but will gladly answer questions even if you pm me.

#41 Guest_rjblankets_*

Guest_rjblankets_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

Giving out oranges or activity books are totally different than Bibles. They aren't telling you what belief system to believe in. Its not being pushy. Giving out Bibles to be informative is one thing but giving them out BC you want to reclaim Halloween is a bit much. Its never been a Christian Holiday.

I have to completely agree with this and with ALL of the same points. I can assure you though that if I was walking up to that house and heard other children/parents talking about the bibles being given out at that house, I'd immediately turn my kids in the opposite direction and not go to the house. But if another house is giving out colouring books (that are not part of ANY religion) or even tooth brushes, I would gladly go to their homes. There isn't an Almighty Toothbrush or Colouring Book trying to reclaim Halloween as their own from the rightful origins of the holiday.