50 replies to this topic

#1 Gemma2

Gemma2

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

So my almost 8yr old has NO idea what bigger gift he would like from Santa. He has been looking at some of the bigger lego sets but hes not really sold on them lol. He has a dsi, wii and ps3. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. Im totally stumped lol

#2 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

xbox 360??? lol

#3 Gemma2

Gemma2

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

Lol. I actually thought about it but i really dont want any more systems in this house lol

#4 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

We have an xbox 360 and I'm thinking Santa might bring Kinect and a couple Kinect games as a family gift.

One child is asking Santa for Lego Robotics: Mindstorm. That's about $300.

#5 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

We have an xbox 360 and I'm thinking Santa might bring Kinect and a couple Kinect games as a family gift.

One child is asking Santa for Lego Robotics: Mindstorm. That's about $300.

The kinect is the big gift from Santa here too. With the kinectimals game since it is something both kids can play

#6 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

Santa brings all the gifts at our home

I am having the same problem with my son, he has a psp, dsi, ps 3,x box 360 and a wii. He is asking for an ipod touch...or his own laptop...lol...

Christmas gets more expensive yr after yr but the more expensive the gifts the less under the tree.....

He only likes video games... and the odd action figure

He is also 8

#7 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

Does he need a bike?

#8 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

Today at Costco, right near the Keurigs at the front....there were some Kinex on sale from $49.97 to $39.97 JUST an FYI for those who have kids that like those things. :)

#9 Gemma2

Gemma2

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

Does he need a bike?

He had a new bike for his bday

#10 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

we've got every game system here too (got the kinnect last yr when they came out from santa) so i'm thinking ods might get his dsi upgraded to a 3ds and then pass his dsi down to yds. beyond that, they're getting a lego table as a shared gift.

OP, if you're thinking Lego i suggest looking at the Chapters sale before it ends at midight!! i saved a TON!! i split it all up over 4 orders to maximize the $5 coupon code each time too :)

Edited by It'sMe, 18 November 2011 - 08:32 PM.

#11 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

Amy, I heard bad reviews from m2m's about the 3DS, I was going to buy A one and the reviews on here swayed me but the biggest thing that deterred me from getting it was a salesperson at Best Buy and another from Wal Mart, they couldn't say anything good about the 3 DS... the graphics on the games are not very good...I know they are on sale tonight at TRU for $129...same price I paid for A's DSi a month ago...just have DH or yourself look into it. <3

#12 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

An ereader? I'm just spitting out ideas here, but figure maybe they'll be helpful.

#13 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

Amy, I heard bad reviews from m2m's about the 3DS, I was going to buy A one and the reviews on here swayed me but the biggest thing that deterred me from getting it was a salesperson at Best Buy and another from Wal Mart, they couldn't say anything good about the 3 DS... the graphics on the games are not very good...I know they are on sale tonight at TRU for $129...same price I paid for A's DSi a month ago...just have DH or yourself look into it. <3

ugh...i REALLY had wanted to get to TRU's midnight madness sale last nite (not for the 3ds, for rockstar mickey!!) but Mike had a hockey game and then work so it was a no go!

my youngest bro is a HUGE nintendo freak so he always buys all of their products, he got a 3ds on release day. i agree that it doesn't seem like anything special *but* we want it for that games that are for 3ds only! the new mario, the new mario kart coming out etc...i think Mike and i want it more than the kids LOL!! it's also not HUGE on my list like a must have item, i'll only be getting it if i can redeem for it on mega redemption day!

#14 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:24 AM

SOmeone tellmemore about the ereaders. Do you buy books like Itunes? Is there lots of variety for young ones? (11) not toddler age.

#15 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

I refuse to buy my kids another system. They have DSs and a Wii. No kid needs that much video games! I have a hard enough time limiting the time they spend doing that sort of this now, it would only be worse if I added more!

I have no idea what they are getting this year yet. They don't haven't really asked for anything big, as of now. I don't mind buying more small stuff, rather than big stuff.

Santa brings then ONE thing each, no way is he getting credit for everything!! hehe

#16 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

my almost 8 yr old wants a laptop. what about a Netbook?
video camera
fav book series ( my ds loves to collect his fav's in hardcover)
new bike
craft centre loaded up with crafts
a pet? lol

#17 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

My son just turned 9 and he loves building toys - Lego, K'nex, Zoobs, Zomes, Meccanno, etc. He also loves Playmobil stuff. It's pricy, but he plays with it every day. Last year my mom got my son the big Playmobil Dragon Castle and Santa got him the smaller one along with other gifts. What about one of those Flip type cameras? My kids love to take video with my reg. camera and I was thinking of getting dd a Flip camera for Christmas or her next b-day (I think they are around $70-100 depending on which version and which memory capacity you want).

Both my kids have a DS and we have a Wii, so I won't be getting any more gaming systems for either of them.

#18 Mama_with_a_dream

Mama_with_a_dream

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

My kids already have the PS3, Wii, PS2, DS's etc and we refuse to get a Xbox with how much they already have so this year we did something different. The three oldest are getting netbooks the oldest is getting the one from Zellers that is on sale for $99.99 since it's hard to say if it will last or get broken, the next two oldest are getting the Acer netbooks from Future Shop for $229 on sale til Sunday and come in different colors. We are also getting the girls DSi's and DS a IPOD touch. No idea though what to suggest since we've had a hard time finding things this year too, they made really small lists so although they are getting all on their lists we are used to having a ton of gifts under the tree for them and this year we're drawing a blank so we're going to get them quite a few gifts each to add onto things they have (legos, barbie houses, etc) and then doing a few donations as a family to give back to others.

#19 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

WOW am I the ONLY one that doesn't do a HUGE present from Santa? The kids are getting the DSi XL for Christmas this year but it is from us not Santa. Santa brings something they have asked for but nothing huge! And at that he only bring a couple things each kid.

#20 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

WOW am I the ONLY one that doesn't do a HUGE present from Santa? The kids are getting the DSi XL for Christmas this year but it is from us not Santa. Santa brings something they have asked for but nothing huge! And at that he only bring a couple things each kid.

NOPE! Grace has a limit of $200 for ALL her presents total. Santa brings 1/2 and mom and dad give 1/2

#21 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

And I must be the only one that makes ALL the presents from Santa, it's the way I have done things since I was a kid, did not matter if there were 100 presents or 10 presents under the tree, they are ALWAYS from SANTA (but then again, I have never celebrated the birth of Jesus either)

#22 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

And I must be the only one that makes ALL the presents from Santa, it's the way I have done things since I was a kid, did not matter if there were 100 presents or 10 presents under the tree, they are ALWAYS from SANTA (but then again, I have never celebrated the birth of Jesus either)

Nope, that's what we do as well :). It's how it was for both DH and I, and that's how we do it too.

#23 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

Nope, that's what we do as well :). It's how it was for both DH and I, and that's how we do it too.

:)

#24 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

I dont do a big gift...i just have her make a list and get one or two things off of it from Santa...usually the biggest thing, but not always...sometimes its something she really wants....but no game systems here or computers...etc....i have held off of getting one and she really has no interest in it and I dont plan on getting her addicted to it anytime soon either...lol I have debated getting a Wii this year....family gift...but not sure.

#25 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:34 PM

We do all the gifts from Santa as well.

#26 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

We do all the gifts from Santa as well.

#27 It'sMe

It'sMe

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

NOPE! Grace has a limit of $200 for ALL her presents total. Santa brings 1/2 and mom and dad give 1/2

we do 1/2 from santa and 1/2 from mommy & daddy too. our $$$ amount used to be much smaller too but as they get older, their gifts get MUCH more expensive!

the majority of what my boys are getting this year will most likely be Lego but even something as simple as that is crazy overpriced! i always buy on sale (and if possible, with a coupon on top :) ) but it is still more than i would like to spend for what it is.

#28 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

off topic...

In our home all gifts are from Santa - isn't about Santa getting all the credit but about that excitement of waking up xmas morning and seeing the gifts under the tree, wondering what they are, spending time guessing, time unwrapping, time playing and time as a family - it is the same memory I had as a kid. In our house, no gifts are allowed under the tree prior to xmas eve when Santa arrives --so they get that full excitement of what Santa left when they wake up Christmas morning. Magical times.

Having said that, I don't buy into the whole it is Christmas so I have to spend. I dislike buying for the sake of buying! I dislike giving kids expensive items, they aren't even asking for - just because it is Christmas. I strategically gather from my kids key items they may want/need and buy accordingly. You won't catch me buying a big ticket item a kid doesn't need or has been asking for --just because it is Christmas.

eta my post wasn't a knock at anyone who does things differently. It is what I do at my house. Was meant as a reminder to people not to lose focus of memories. The what they got fades and all people really remembers is how the day felt. Think back to your own childhood - likely you can remember a few key gifts you got but what you remember most is the memories of the day - not the individual gifts....that is all my post was meant to say.

Edited by terbear, 20 November 2011 - 09:43 AM.

#29 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

yah loss i big fight about a gift this year
oh well

but no way is big red going to get all the woohoo
my kids love know that so and so gave them this
it means more to them

#30 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

all presents come from Santa here too. But he leaves one larger gift that is a family gift. We do have presents from us under the tree but those are put out a week before so the kids see them under there already.

#31 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

There are no presents under our tree until Christmas Eve (after the kids are in bed) even if DH and I buy something for each other.

ONE year, I comprimised with DH. I let the boys buy each other presents...well that was THE LAST time that ever happened. TO me it is more "special" if all the presents come from the BIG JOLLY FELLA....

that is just me, doesnt mean I am right or wrong

#32 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Santa only brings one or a couple "santa asked gifts" and the rest is from mom and dad...
I had my 7 yr old ask me if he was real, i looked at him and said, well i will tell you this.. if you dont believe in him he wont bring you anything, he stops, well ds said oh, i know for sure he is real mom...lol

#33 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

All of the "boring" stuff comes from Mom and Dad. Any clothes, bedding, etc. All of the more saught after items are from Santa. VVorks for us.

#34 MKmom

MKmom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

Santa only brings one gift for each of the kids at our house. The rest is from us. For us, including the girls, the magic of Christmas is Christ's birth. The gifts are only a part of the magic. Equally magical are the decorations, the music, Mommy and Daddy being home for a week for the holidays to play with them...
We always (except our year of layoff)take the kids shopping to buy something for each other, as well as a couple of toy drives. All year long we try to instill in the girls the importance of helping others, and the joy of giving to others, whether it's through toy drives, food drives, or volunteering at a community garden. Christmas is such a fun, joyous season! I love it!

Our girls "big" gift this year is a portable DVD player. DH got a great deal on them months ago. We live in the county, so whenever we go somewhere out of town, the drive is long enough to watch at least a short video. This is something they've asked for for a couple of years, but we wanted to wait until they were a little older. If your DS doesn't already have one, he might enjoy one. Most kids like to watch movies.
What about a skateboard? toboggan? snowboard? remote control toy? (my nephew got an awesome RC 4x4 when he was about that age and it was a big hit)If he's really into gaming, how about a boxful of video games (one big box, several awesome games)?

#35 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

Santa only brings one or a couple "santa asked gifts" and the rest is from mom and dad...
I had my 7 yr old ask me if he was real, i looked at him and said, well i will tell you this.. if you dont believe in him he wont bring you anything, he stops, well ds said oh, i know for sure he is real mom...lol

Ds is 9. He's asked me a few times if Santa is real and I usually come back with, "Do you think he's real?" and ds always says he does. If ds flat out told me he didn't believe in Santa or really pressed the issue I'd tell him the truth. It is fun to see the excitement in his eyes each year on Christmas morning, but it wouldn't be fun if he had to pretend to believe in Santa because he was afraid he wouldn't get presents if he didn't. I think dd was around 8 when she told us she didn't think Santa was real and Christmas that year seemed even more fun because she loved being in on the secret on Christmas morning when ds ran downstairs and exclaimed that Santa had left gifts. I find that you can tell by the way kids talk and ask whether they think Santa isn't real because someone else has said something to them or they are just wondering or if they are reaching an age where they are reasoning things out more and truly don't think Santa could be real and that's the point when I would tell them the truth.