50 replies to this topic

#36 Rebekah

Rebekah

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:22 PM

Santa only brings one or a couple "santa asked gifts" and the rest is from mom and dad...
I had my 7 yr old ask me if he was real, i looked at him and said, well i will tell you this.. if you dont believe in him he wont bring you anything, he stops, well ds said oh, i know for sure he is real mom...lol

Ds is 9. He's asked me a few times if Santa is real and I usually come back with, "Do you think he's real?" and ds always says he does. If ds flat out told me he didn't believe in Santa or really pressed the issue I'd tell him the truth. It is fun to see the excitement in his eyes each year on Christmas morning, but it wouldn't be fun if he had to pretend to believe in Santa because he was afraid he wouldn't get presents if he didn't. I think dd was around 8 when she told us she didn't think Santa was real and Christmas that year seemed even more fun because she loved being in on the secret on Christmas morning when ds ran downstairs and exclaimed that Santa had left gifts. I find that you can tell by the way kids talk and ask whether they think Santa isn't real because someone else has said something to them or they are just wondering or if they are reaching an age where they are reasoning things out more and truly don't think Santa could be real and that's the point when I would tell them the truth.

hee hee, I usually play the devil's advocate. I'm constantly horsing around with ds all the while, singing santa's a big-fat-fake and it just riles him up to come up with why mom is wrong. lol

#37 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

All of the "boring" stuff comes from Mom and Dad. Any clothes, bedding, etc. All of the more saught after items are from Santa....

LOL!! Same here... boring stuff like clothes are from mom.... fun stuff (toys) are from Santa... LOL

Ds is 9. He's asked me a few times if Santa is real and I usually come back with, "Do you think he's real?" and ds always says he does. If ds flat out told me he didn't believe in Santa or really pressed the issue I'd tell him the truth. It is fun to see the excitement in his eyes each year on Christmas morning, but it wouldn't be fun if he had to pretend to believe in Santa because he was afraid he wouldn't get presents if he didn't. I think dd was around 8 when she told us she didn't think Santa was real and Christmas that year seemed even more fun because she loved being in on the secret on Christmas morning when ds ran downstairs and exclaimed that Santa had left gifts. I find that you can tell by the way kids talk and ask whether they think Santa isn't real because someone else has said something to them or they are just wondering or if they are reaching an age where they are reasoning things out more and truly don't think Santa could be real and that's the point when I would tell them the truth.

LOL!! I tease the girls that me - even as a grown up - believes in Santa.. I know for a fact he's real!! They just look at me all wide-eyed.... For me it's about keeping the holidays magical!! I think the oldest is starting to question him... but since mom believes, she still believes.... LOL!!

#38 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:06 AM

Isn't he "real" As far as I can tell he shows up at a heck of a lot of homes all over the world. How can you argue with him not being real...lol?!?!

eta - my almost 5 year old just told me the other day that she can't wait until she is a grown up and can meet the real Santa -- I said what do you mean the real one. She said well all the others are people dressed up - like on halloween. I was shocked she figured that out so early.

Edited by terbear, 21 November 2011 - 09:08 AM.

#39 TigerLily

TigerLily

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

We do a mix of gifts from Santa and mommy and daddy. My oldest daughter loves the whole idea of Santa. My little one is too young still.

#40 Bensmom

Bensmom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

At our house all the gifts come from Santa. We always buy one big gift that Santa has brought for the 3 of them. I always leave that gift till last for them to find. This year it is a lego/art table it will be set up in the basement for them to find when they go to put their new toys away..

#41 drou1970

drou1970

ilovemyfamily

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:06 AM

I have a hard time as my 3 kids are just a yr apart from each other and all the same gender. they have xbox, wii, gameboy and ds. their big gift comes from mom and dad not santa, they are getting the psp as their big gift this yr. hope you figure out what to get them, good luck.

#42 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

For my family Christmas is about family...we are not religious so the birth of Christ is not why we celebrate.

Santa doesnt give all the gifts only some..

I have a question...if all the gifts come from Santa, what happens when they stop believing? They stop getting gifts?
What about donating gifts....we almost got caught the one year when we donated gifts, we included DD in it....she asked why do we need to donate gifts if Santa brings them? Just some curious questions.

To me Santa embodies the spirit of giving and when DD doesnt believe anymore and has the question of why we lied to her about Santa it is easier to explain him as being an idea, one that she can pass on and share with others. I dont get her a tonne...I stopped doing that, she was just getting way to much and it took forever to open up and she got bored of it half way through...she doesnt get all gimme gimme about the day...she usually has a few things she would like, but never has she done the I want I want I want.

#43 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

We don't celebrate Jesus' Birth either (not religious) but no, my oldest is 16.5 he stopped believing when he was 10/11...he still pretends to believe for his brother's sake, and hope they will continue to do that for our daughter...

A(my youngest) asked me that the other day, b/c I said some brand new toys that havent been opened we will donate to a less fortunate family, he said well why do you have to do that, santa brings everyone a present or do you have to pay santa a fee for bringing the toys.. LOL I agreed with him, obviously I will explain it to him when he is older... my oldest was not scarred when he found out the truth, but he understood why I would ask him all kinds of questions about toys

The spirit of Santa is what Christmas means to me and mine

that and being with friends :)

MY fave story is YES VIRGINIA there is a SANTA CLAUS...it features every yr in the Goodfellows paper (which hit the streets tomorrow)

#44 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

I have a question...if all the gifts come from Santa, what happens when they stop believing? They stop getting gifts?

Nope. When my kids no longer believe in Santa then they still get gifts, they just know that they come from dh and me. Dd hasn't believed in Santa for many years and she's still excited every year at Christmas to see what she will get under the tree.

#45 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

Nope. When my kids no longer believe in Santa then they still get gifts, they just know that they come from dh and me. Dd hasn't believed in Santa for many years and she's still excited every year at Christmas to see what she will get under the tree.

Same here. And they will still be marked in part as from Santa lol. My dad did that, and Christmas morning even at 16 I appreciated him wanting to remind me of the early childhood christmas magic.

#46 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:33 AM

What about donating gifts....we almost got caught the one year when we donated gifts, we included DD in it....she asked why do we need to donate gifts if Santa brings them? Just some curious questions.

I will answer your questions:

1) It is a bigger picture than the few fun years when kids really believe. It is creating memories and traditions(however you choose to creat them). It sure isn't all about "Santa" but the magic of the day. It is bringing yourself back to that young wide eyed kid Xmas morning that makes you remember what is important. It is that feeling parents strive to provide to their kids -- not the things -- not who technically bought an item - but providing the feelings and memories that last.

2)My family (including my kids)is generous all through the year to people needing a helping hand but especially at Christmas. It isn't hard to explain to a kid about the need to share good fortune at Christmas when it is practice it all year. "Santa" doesn't even play into the converstation in any capacity.

To be clear - there is no one right or wrong way to celebrate and create memories. Everyone does it differently and the method doesn't matter - only the outcome.

To this day my dad still writes from Santa on all the gifts he gives me. The magic of that feeling continues on with what I do with my kids...

#47 Waldo

Waldo

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

My boys are 8 too and I also am struggling with ideas for them.

#48 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:36 PM

Just wondering since we're still at the early Santa stage, do any of the kids ever ask why Santa brings there friend x number of presents (as in all of their presents) and they only get one?

#49 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:11 PM

Just wondering since we're still at the early Santa stage, do any of the kids ever ask why Santa brings there friend x number of presents (as in all of their presents) and they only get one?

Thankfully this question hasn't come up with my kids. I did get asked why the tooth fairy brought the neighbour child $20 though and I just shrugged my shoulders and said I didn't know why and my son didn't press the issue. It could get tricky though if a child kept asking.

#50 MKmom

MKmom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

My kids have asked this. I told them that we love to buy them gifts, it gives us great joy. So we made an agreement with Santa that he will bring only 1 gift for each of them and Mommy and Daddy provide the rest. I told them its up to kids' parents- some parents need more help from Santa (and toy drives) than others. We discussed the room it frees up in Santa's sleigh as well.LOL

Edited by MKmom, 25 November 2011 - 04:34 PM.

#51 BRMomOf3

BRMomOf3

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

at our house each child gets a gift from mom and dad and then they all get one together.

so this year dd got the one thing she really wanted.

ds1 got want he wanted

ds2 is getting wut he really wants

from dh and I.

there one big gift this year from us is a 4 wheeler.

then the rest is from santa, knowing that dd and ds1 no there is no santa but beleive for younger sibs at my house and there dads house.

Edited by BRMomOf3, 25 November 2011 - 06:29 PM.