41 replies to this topic

#1 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

We get the newspaper delivered to the house. It is basically thrown out the car window as they drive by, most days its at the end of the driveway.. Every once in a while it gets under a bush, or car on the street.Most of the time it is dry, the odd time I have had to call the Star and gotten a new one delivered because it is soaked.

They included a Christmas card with a return address on the envelope with Mondays paper.

Question, how much would/should the tip be??

#2 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

I wouldn't even think to tip for a newspaper... If they can't deliver it properly why should you reward that behaviour?? Just my .02...

#3 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

I wouldn't even think to tip for a newspaper... If they can't deliver it properly why should you reward that behaviour?? Just my .02...

This!

#4 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

I don't tip the paper person at Xmas, but I don't get an envelope. I throw them a couple bucks sometimes when I renew.

In your case I'd probably give them $5 just to avoid pi$$ing them off and making delivery worse.

#5 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

I wouldn't think of tipping the paperguy. *shrug*

#6 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

I'm not sure how much worse the delivery can get? LOL

#7 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

I am not trying to imply the delivery is bad, just was trying to point out, it isnt door to door like it was when we were growing up. It comes nice and early, almost always by 6am, its been as early as 3am.

I was thinking a $5.00 or $10.00 gc to Timmys..

#8 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:51 PM

I am not trying to imply the delivery is bad,

I'd call that bad service. My paper is always on my porch, and is in a plastic bag if it's wet weather. Most days I dont even have to take a step out the door to reach the paper. I guess I should tip more!!!

#9 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Ours is always in a blue bag, if its raining, its double bagged. It gets dropped off anywhere from 3-6am, so sometimes it gets wet if it rains after its been dropped off or if it is really pouring.
That is awesome you get it to your front door!

#10 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

Ours is always in a blue bag, if its raining, its double bagged. It gets dropped off anywhere from 3-6am, so sometimes it gets wet if it rains after its been dropped off or if it is really pouring.
That is awesome you get it to your front door!

I get my fliers delivered at my front door lol.

#11 harleyrae

harleyrae

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

I never thought of tipping either. Today they gave us a Xmas card and their address email if we have any issues. It's always put in our mailbox. We are going to give them a timmies card. I feel bad that they are delivering even in the crappiest weather. We will leave something for the mailman also. I don't think 20.00 is alot for the service they provide for a yr.

Edited by harleyrae, 06 December 2011 - 10:02 PM.

#12 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:22 AM

I delivered the Sarnia paper for 4 years when I was younger. The paper was always put in the mailbox, if possible. If not it was on the rung underneath the mailbox, in the door, or somewhere else fairly secured. I also had to collect money every two weeks. It saddens and disgusts me to see how paper duties are handled by most people. I wouldn't tip for that kind of lousy service. But for a service even remotely close to what I did, I'd have no trouble giving at least $20. I don't get the paper though.

#13 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:49 AM

WOW

I can't believe how many people don't tip your newspaper carrier.
Do you know how hard most of them work to make pennies a day, except for your carrier Jen K, but most take pride in their job, most deliver it properly, they deliver the paper between the hours of 4-6 a.m. daily, in sleet, snow, rain, in any kind of weather. They are more deserving of a tip then Tim Horton's workers.

I even tip my crappy Canada Post carrier, b/c although they make gold compared to paper carriers, they are still out there delivering our mail in sleet, snow, rain, storms, etc

Just my opinion

#14 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:51 AM

Also wanted to ADD

They deliver this newspaper every day except for Sunday and I am pretty sure they get 4 non paid Holidays a year.

so anything less than $20-30 would be an incredible insult for the service that is provided year round.

#15 PookersMom

PookersMom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:23 AM

My paper is in the mailbox on my front porch too....I would be upset if it was thrown in my driveway lol

I have never tipped either...maybe I should ;o

#16 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:21 AM

Coming from a deliverer I hate when I hear that some deliverers don't seem to care how it is delivered. My dh and I do it 6 days a week no matter the weather and I don't expect a tip. It sure is nice though when those that chose to give us one remember us. I would NEVER leave an envelope. I think that is tacky and asking for a tip is rude! We also make sure the papers are either in a mail box or in a bag up near the door if they don`t have a box. Good luck deciding how much to give but thank you for thinking of them!

#17 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

sorry to clarify, they didnt leave an envelope, they left us a Christmas card signed from your windsor star carriers ______&_______ and on the back of the envelope was their address.

we get flyers delivered to the front step as well, but its done through pennysavers..

I really dont care that the paper is at the end of the driveway, most mornings I just pick it up when taking the kids to school and in the summer one of them runs out and grabs it.
I just wanted to paint a clear picture of the service we are receiving to determine the tip we should give.

#18 terbear

terbear

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

I totally agree with Polarbear on this one. I guess I am old school and remember my brothers getting up to deliver the paper. I even suggest a buck a week to be fair.

We don't get delivery anymore but when we did we choose the the option of putting the tip right on our bill each year.

eta that I realize when you add up a buck a week it is over 50 and that sounds like a lot. I don't suggest giving anyone a $50 tip. Was just suggesting if someone came to your door to collect each week - you likely would have given them a buck each time (Kwim).

Edited by terbear, 07 December 2011 - 09:06 AM.

#19 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:07 AM

I too think leaving the envelope was very tacky and just because they did that would be all the more reason *I* wouldn't give them a tip, good service or not.

Added before I read the updated post

Edited by momand2kidz, 07 December 2011 - 09:09 AM.

#20 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

Ok. You've convinced me. I'm going to tip more next time!

#21 JavaBean

JavaBean

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

I think $10 for your delivery people is plenty, Jen. They aren't even getting out of their vehicle. I'm going to safely assume that it's at the end of your driveway because they are doing the "slow down and toss" method of delivery. If it was coming right to the door, I'd be more inclined to tip the $1/week.

#22 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

I just started up home delivery of the Star again. Delivery has been pretty good as I expected my paper would be at the end of my driveway (the driveways are very long and walk between houses is fairly far so they have to drive...) --- but my paper has been up on my porch each a.m.

I don't have any issue tipping them - as someone said, if I was paying weekly at my door etc I would probabbly throw in a buck or so, so tipping $25 etc is for me ok.

#23 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

My mom was a Windsor star carrier...... she had no car, she walked the paper up to each and every door, she went and did this for 3 yrs, after the age of 56, b/c nobody would hire her b/c of her age.

People would not leave the porch light on, not salt their walk ways, or shovel their snow (not all but a lot)

She would deliver the paper in blizzards, rain, sleet and she did this ALL BY HERSELF walking with a buggy.....

At Christmas time she never expected a tip, but she appreciated it, b/c she was an impeccable delivery person. Most people would tip her $50 at Xmas time, a few customers gave my mmom a $100 or a $100 gift card to Zehrs. Some people would not give my mom a thank you, but my point is she delivered the same great service to everyone on that route, whether they gave her $5 or if they gave her a $100 or if they gave her nada.

I used to deliver the paper when I was 13-15, back then I had to collect, and most times back them folks gave me 75 cents to a buck a week tip. I never expected it but sure did appreciate it, and then at Xmas I would receive anywhere from $5-$20 per person as a Christmas bonus.

The folks that deliver the flyers only get 10 cents a copy, and usually the paper carrier doesnt do that job too...right now those flyers are heavy they have 30-40 flyers between Thurs and Fri.

I know my mom didn't deliver the flyers too, but then agan she did not have a car.

#24 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

I guess I am the big ol meanie haha.... I don't think tipping your newspaper delivery guy is necessary, especially when the paper doesn't even make the front door. I also would never ever think to even tip them. Why should I? I don't tip the cashier at the grocery store for bagging my groceries, I don't tip the lady at the bank for counting my money for me, I don't tip the guy at the automotive place for changing my oil, and I don't tip gas station attendent who fills my car. I just don't see why we should have to, or be expected too. I don't however, have a problem tipping waitress'/waiters as they make less thank minimum wage. But a newspaper delivery guy, who doesn't even delivery my paper to my door and does a half ass job doesn't deserve a tip IMO. Even if you're not bothered by the way your paper is delivered, the point is he isn't doing what he is supposed to and that is making sure it gets to the mailbox or at least the front door... But like I said, Im a big ol meanie haha

#25 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

Im actually thinking of calling the Windsor star to see if they have different expectations for different areas in regards to how the paper is delivered.
( I wont give name or address or anything because I dont want anyone to get into trouble )

#26 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

I guess I am the big ol meanie haha.... I don't think tipping your newspaper delivery guy is necessary, especially when the paper doesn't even make the front door. I also would never ever think to even tip them. Why should I? I don't tip the cashier at the grocery store for bagging my groceries, I don't tip the lady at the bank for counting my money for me, I don't tip the guy at the automotive place for changing my oil, and I don't tip gas station attendent who fills my car. I just don't see why we should have to, or be expected too. I don't however, have a problem tipping waitress'/waiters as they make less thank minimum wage. But a newspaper delivery guy, who doesn't even delivery my paper to my door and does a half ass job doesn't deserve a tip IMO. Even if you're not bothered by the way your paper is delivered, the point is he isn't doing what he is supposed to and that is making sure it gets to the mailbox or at least the front door... But like I said, Im a big ol meanie haha

A waiter/waitress at least makes more than a paper carrier....call the Windsor Star to see how much they make, it is peanuts in comparison to a waiter/waitress earnings.

I will always tip a carrier over a waiter/waitress ANY DAY... I do tip when I have my gas pumped, I do tip the oil change person, and when I use to go to Bingo I used to tip[ the runners too. I always leave a gift for the postal worker (even though they are highly paid and deliver crappy service).

Everyone do what they feel is right. :)

#27 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

Well than people must love you when they see you walk in the door! hahaha... I just think its weird to tip people because they are doing their job.. I dont get tips in my job, nor should I.

#28 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:43 AM

Well than people must love you when they see you walk in the door! hahaha... I just think its weird to tip people because they are doing their job.. I dont get tips in my job, nor should I.

Your attitude stinks. Why tip anyone at all? Those waiters and waitresses are just "doing their jobs". People who deliver papers earn less than wait staff. It should have nothing to do with how much their base pay is. It has to do with their service.

#29 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:08 AM

I don't think anyone needs to be tarred and feathered because they have a different opinion.

#30 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

Based on your first comment that states you would be more apt to tip a wait person b/c they don't even make min wage, blew my mind. I then responded with, I would rather tip a star carrier then a wait person anyday, b/c star carriers are now adults, that deliver the paper between 4-7 a.m. and they get paid peanuts by the Windsor Star. If they don't do a great job then fine don't tip them, but I know my mother was deserving of every tip that she got and she DID NOT EXPECT IT. Most of the carriers are just trying to get by like you and I, my mom had to get up at 2:30 a.m. every day to take her cart to her papers and then deliver them, she had 2 routes, that would take her until 7 or 8 every day (she had no car). I think not sure I will ask her but I think she made $100 a week to get up at 2:30 and walk and deliver papers in the snow, rain, hail, heat, etc 6 days a week and when there was a Holiday like Christmas or Boxing Day or New Years Day sure she got it off but then lost that money for that day, b/c the Star doesn't pay for ANY HOLIDAYS

I didn't say I didn't tip, I said I would rather tip a carrier then a wait person, so yes of course I leave tips when we go to eat, IF THE SERVICE is up to par...I already mentioned to everyone in a post on here that I banned The Penalty Box from getting tips for almost a year, I went there after one of my OB appts and they practically got all new daytime staff, there was only 3 of the originals left, and you know what THE SERVICE was fantastic so I tipped the waitress.

I am entitled to my opinion just as much as the next and don't appreciate the snide comment, "well people must love seeing you come through the door, hahaha"
I am sorry that you work in an industry that doesn't promote tipping or can't receive tips, but some people deserve tips for 'just doing their job'. It's like another topic on here, What are you getting your kids teachers? Well if I want to play the devils advocate, they are just doing their job, they get paid pretty decent, so why do soooooo many of us parents want to buy them a thank you gift at XMAS or at the end of the school year??? The answer to that is simple and easy....we want to show them our gratitude.
If there is a gas station that has pump your own gas or a worker pumping it for you, then IF I go to the person b/c it is raining or cold or too hot then *I* feel that they deserve a tip, doesn't mean that everyone will, but I could of easily got out and pumped it myself....or when I go for an oil change and they don't try to blindside me with a million things that need to be fixed and they do their job in a timely manner I will always throw them a $5 bill or a gift card to Timmy's.

To each is own, I was simply trying to state my opinions or views on Windsor Star Carriers and WHY I WILL ALWAYS TIP THEM.

It's no different then paying it forward, in my opinion, you never know how you could make someone's day turn around. I will never forget the look on my mail carrier's face last XMAS when there was a gift in the mail box and card that was addressed to him, I peeked through my window, he had a smile on from ear to ear.

:)

#31 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:39 AM

Your attitude stinks. Why tip anyone at all? Those waiters and waitresses are just "doing their jobs". People who deliver papers earn less than wait staff. It should have nothing to do with how much their base pay is. It has to do with their service.

I don't think anyone needs to be tarred and feathered because they have a different opinion.

No one is being tarred and feathered! He is simply stating his opinion and really it's true. Tips should have nothing to do with a base pay and EVERYTHING to do with service. And if she doesn't want to tip then so be it. You NEVER have to leave a tip--EVER.

#32 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:42 AM

Based on your first comment that states you would be more apt to tip a wait person b/c they don't even make min wage, blew my mind. I then responded with, I would rather tip a star carrier then a wait person anyday, b/c star carriers are now adults, that deliver the paper between 4-7 a.m. and they get paid peanuts by the Windsor Star. If they don't do a great job then fine don't tip them, but I know my mother was deserving of every tip that she got and she DID NOT EXPECT IT. Most of the carriers are just trying to get by like you and I, my mom had to get up at 2:30 a.m. every day to take her cart to her papers and then deliver them, she had 2 routes, that would take her until 7 or 8 every day (she had no car). I think not sure I will ask her but I think she made $100 a week to get up at 2:30 and walk and deliver papers in the snow, rain, hail, heat, etc 6 days a week and when there was a Holiday like Christmas or Boxing Day or New Years Day sure she got it off but then lost that money for that day, b/c the Star doesn't pay for ANY HOLIDAYS

I didn't say I didn't tip, I said I would rather tip a carrier then a wait person, so yes of course I leave tips when we go to eat, IF THE SERVICE is up to par...I already mentioned to everyone in a post on here that I banned The Penalty Box from getting tips for almost a year, I went there after one of my OB appts and they practically got all new daytime staff, there was only 3 of the originals left, and you know what THE SERVICE was fantastic so I tipped the waitress.

I am entitled to my opinion just as much as the next and don't appreciate the snide comment, "well people must love seeing you come through the door, hahaha"
I am sorry that you work in an industry that doesn't promote tipping or can't receive tips, but some people deserve tips for 'just doing their job'. It's like another topic on here, What are you getting your kids teachers? Well if I want to play the devils advocate, they are just doing their job, they get paid pretty decent, so why do soooooo many of us parents want to buy them a thank you gift at XMAS or at the end of the school year??? The answer to that is simple and easy....we want to show them our gratitude.
If there is a gas station that has pump your own gas or a worker pumping it for you, then IF I go to the person b/c it is raining or cold or too hot then *I* feel that they deserve a tip, doesn't mean that everyone will, but I could of easily got out and pumped it myself....or when I go for an oil change and they don't try to blindside me with a million things that need to be fixed and they do their job in a timely manner I will always throw them a $5 bill or a gift card to Timmy's.

To each is own, I was simply trying to state my opinions or views on Windsor Star Carriers and WHY I WILL ALWAYS TIP THEM.

It's no different then paying it forward, in my opinion, you never know how you could make someone's day turn around. I will never forget the look on my mail carrier's face last XMAS when there was a gift in the mail box and card that was addressed to him, I peeked through my window, he had a smile on from ear to ear.

:)

I wanted to add that nobody ever has to tip, but it makes ME feel good doing so....ONLY IF THE SERVICE IS UP TO PAR.....and that goes for a Windsor Star delivery person, a Timmy's worker, a Mail Carrier, a service guy at a garage and a waitress/waiter.

#33 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

Back in the day, delivering the paper was different. I used to do it as did my brothers. You had to go to the door and put it in the mailbox. You went around each week and collected the money. Out here, it's thrown on our driveway in a blue bag. I don't know if that's just because it's county or not, I'm not sure. But no one comes and collects. There is no personal connection with the carriers these days, that I see of. I shouldn't be expected to tip someone I've never even MET.

#34 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:18 AM

You never meet your carrier anymore b/c of the Windsor Star, they took over all collections a few good years ago and then they went to a.m. delivery which made it imposible for kids to deliver the paper anymore, when the papers have to be delivered by 7 a.m. I see your point, but b/c none of us know our carriers does that mean that they are forgotten about. Kwim?

My delivery carrier delivers the papers in the mailbox, the Star Review (the flyers) get thrown god knows where in a blue bag, for me, these are 2 different ppl doing 2 diffferent jobs.

#35 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:45 AM

I delivered papers for 7 years when I was younger. Always made sure the paper was put where the person requested. I was tipped weekly when I collected. Way back then (like 30 years ago) I got anywhere from nothing to a buck a week from each person. I took pride in my service. If you have never done this in weather, it can be not so much fun. We had snow back then and lots of it.

COme Christmas time, I could collect from a few houses and pay my bill ($68 a week back then) I havd 68 houses. I received $20 or more from some at Christmas upon the weekly tips.

I also gave a Christmas card to each home, no return address or anything. (Not Tacky, thoughtful, I was a teenager)

I say to each their own. I am the type who tips the paperperson, my mail carrier (no home delivery but community box at the corner, driving route), the hairdresser.

We do not eat out often. We do tip, we always leave a tip, if the service was not so great the tip is not so great. Great service, great tip.

I also waitressed so I know how hard they work, again, if you have never done this, it is hard work. You don't stop. And again, if you are good at it, it takes more work.

Merry Christmas to all!