41 replies to this topic

#36 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

Well than people must love you when they see you walk in the door! hahaha... I just think its weird to tip people because they are doing their job.. I dont get tips in my job, nor should I.

Your attitude stinks. Why tip anyone at all? Those waiters and waitresses are just "doing their jobs". People who deliver papers earn less than wait staff. It should have nothing to do with how much their base pay is. It has to do with their service.

That's your opinion. I think it's weird to tip different people like the newspaper guy, the oil change guy and the gas station guy... Sorry but I do. I don't think thats a stinky attitude. I don't mind tipping for a service when its good, I just think those types of jobs are weird to tip for. A wait staff person is a different story, because they make less than minimum wage and it is expected. I never said it was wrong to tip people, I just said I thought it was weird!! I don't know what a newspaper person gets paid, nor do I care, but IF they can't get a paper to my door then they don't deserve a tip...

#37 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

Well than people must love you when they see you walk in the door! hahaha... I just think its weird to tip people because they are doing their job.. I dont get tips in my job, nor should I.

Based on your first comment that states you would be more apt to tip a wait person b/c they don't even make min wage, blew my mind. I then responded with, I would rather tip a star carrier then a wait person anyday, b/c star carriers are now adults, that deliver the paper between 4-7 a.m. and they get paid peanuts by the Windsor Star. If they don't do a great job then fine don't tip them, but I know my mother was deserving of every tip that she got and she DID NOT EXPECT IT. Most of the carriers are just trying to get by like you and I, my mom had to get up at 2:30 a.m. every day to take her cart to her papers and then deliver them, she had 2 routes, that would take her until 7 or 8 every day (she had no car). I think not sure I will ask her but I think she made $100 a week to get up at 2:30 and walk and deliver papers in the snow, rain, hail, heat, etc 6 days a week and when there was a Holiday like Christmas or Boxing Day or New Years Day sure she got it off but then lost that money for that day, b/c the Star doesn't pay for ANY HOLIDAYS

I didn't say I didn't tip, I said I would rather tip a carrier then a wait person, so yes of course I leave tips when we go to eat, IF THE SERVICE is up to par...I already mentioned to everyone in a post on here that I banned The Penalty Box from getting tips for almost a year, I went there after one of my OB appts and they practically got all new daytime staff, there was only 3 of the originals left, and you know what THE SERVICE was fantastic so I tipped the waitress.

I am entitled to my opinion just as much as the next and don't appreciate the snide comment, "well people must love seeing you come through the door, hahaha"
I am sorry that you work in an industry that doesn't promote tipping or can't receive tips, but some people deserve tips for 'just doing their job'. It's like another topic on here, What are you getting your kids teachers? Well if I want to play the devils advocate, they are just doing their job, they get paid pretty decent, so why do soooooo many of us parents want to buy them a thank you gift at XMAS or at the end of the school year??? The answer to that is simple and easy....we want to show them our gratitude.
If there is a gas station that has pump your own gas or a worker pumping it for you, then IF I go to the person b/c it is raining or cold or too hot then *I* feel that they deserve a tip, doesn't mean that everyone will, but I could of easily got out and pumped it myself....or when I go for an oil change and they don't try to blindside me with a million things that need to be fixed and they do their job in a timely manner I will always throw them a $5 bill or a gift card to Timmy's.

To each is own, I was simply trying to state my opinions or views on Windsor Star Carriers and WHY I WILL ALWAYS TIP THEM.

It's no different then paying it forward, in my opinion, you never know how you could make someone's day turn around. I will never forget the look on my mail carrier's face last XMAS when there was a gift in the mail box and card that was addressed to him, I peeked through my window, he had a smile on from ear to ear.

:)

Ok, this is going a little too far. My "snide" comment was a joke, but I guess some people don't get my sense of humour, so I'm sorry I offended you. Secondly, I never said I don't tip, I said I thought it was WEIRD to tip people in EVERY type of business for doing their jobs!! I get tips at work, but are not aloud to keep them for myself. They all go in a pool for the staff to decide which charity to donate it too. You made a comment to say that Windsor Star carriers are adults now and have to get up in the wee hours of the morning, but so do wait staff, and they are adults too. I never said I would never tip them, I merely said I WOULDN'T if the service was bad, and it was pointed out that the paper doesn't even make its way to the front door, but more likely under a tree or in a puddle. Why is everyone gettinf so upset over this haha, Seriously! Continue tipping for great service, because that is your right, and I will contine not tipping the guy who pumps my gas, because thats my right :)

#38 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

Some folks believe that the act of tipping started in the 1800's when TIP stood for "to insure promptitude". Some believe that today, we tip out of fear of social disapproval (or having our food spat in)

Tammy, I don't think that Gillian meant anything bad about her statement that people must love seeing you walk in the door. I've worked in customer service most of my life and there were great tippers, average tippers and no tippers. Everyone got the same service, but most people are going to do little heart happy dance if they know that you're a great customer and a good tipper. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

My stance has always been that I will tip anyone if they offer me a great service. If you can barely say "help you" when I order a coffee, then you won't be getting a tip from me. If a waitress only shows up to take my order, plop it down and collect the money, she won't be getting much of a tip. If my newspaper delivery person can't deliver the paper in the way it's supposed to be delivered, or can't be bothered to say HI if we happen to see each other - then they won't get a tip.

I've known people who just won't tip for anything - no matter how great the service. That's not my gig, but it's their choice so I respect that. I also know people who will tip well even if they've just received the worst service in history. Again - I'd never do it but it's still their money and their choice.

What I don't like is if anyone (either the worker, a friend or anyone else) expects a tip for something. I also hate it when restaurants state that they'll be adding a tip to a bill if there's a party over 8 (or whatever their rule is. It just happens to go against my views on tipping).

To go back to Jen's original question - if you're inclined to want to tip them, and if it were me, I would leave an average tip. It sounds like their doing the minimum job (some routes are considered car routes meaning the carrier does not have to deliver it to your door). Depending on who you ask, or where you look $20 seems to be rather average.

#39 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

That is why I stopped tipping at the Penalty Box, b/c SOME of those waitresses EXPECTED a tip, I hate that too, and i won't eat at Mongolian Grill or anywhere else that states the gratuity will be added to the bill on parties of 8 or more.

Not saying that the server doesn't deserve a tip, BUT I will decided what that tip will be.

Like I said, to each is own, you want to tip anyone fine, you don't want to fine, I am going to keep doing what I do and don't expect anyone to change what they do.

MAybe I took her comment wrong and I understand that she was joking, so please forget my snide comment remark.

:)

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Happy Kwanzaa and all that JAZZ

#40 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

I used to get $5 here and there from some people at Christmas time. I used to hand deliver and do collections. It was NEVER expected but always more than appreciated. If 5 or 6 people gave me $5 from my entire route, that was $30, which was a ton of money to me at the age of 12

#41 polarbear 01-12-06

polarbear 01-12-06

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hey Gillian

I went to Penalty Box today for lunch and again I tipped the staff person. :p

#42 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

Hey Gillian

I went to Penalty Box today for lunch and again I tipped the staff person. :p

Good for you!! Im sure they appreciated it :)