4 replies to this topic

#1 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:06 AM

After last year's very expensive graduation at a banquet hall, it has been suggested that the school hold it this year somewhere else, one of those options being in the school gym. The main concern is the price of the tickets for parents and other guests.

So my question is, where could they go for very cheap and have something catered in, OR how could they sell the idea of using the school gym to the students who have been waiting for a banquet-style graduation all through elementary school? Many schools have it in the gym. They know that. It's just the reaction of students and parents who have been expecting something and now it's just being changed that is the main concern. If I was in grade 8, I know that it would upset me, so I'm trying to empathize with them. A location in a central location in the city would be best, but a bit further might be considered if the price is right.

Thanks in advance for all of your wonderful ideas and suggestions!

Edited by mom2nico, 10 December 2011 - 10:07 AM.

#2 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

Catholic or public board?

#3 elainesj

elainesj

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,939 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

School gyms are good because: you can go in whenever you want to decorate. You can be creative and you have lots of time. Banquet halls have more limited time. On the other hand, banquet halls typically need less decorations, especially if it's a pretty room.

How much space do you need? malden park has a small hall overlooking the pond that is really nice with the view and everything. I've been longing to throw a party there for quite some time. The cost is reasonable and you can bring your own caterer.

I have also found Fogular Furlan to be very reasonable for banquet costs. We did our M2M Anniversary Party there one year and prices were very reasonable. We sold our tix for $20 a piece and I think food was about $14/$15 of that. Room rental was free. All their rooms are beautiful so no decor needed.

Just keep in mind that typically, decorations are expensive. Also catering in a place without proper kitchen facilities can be very problematic, and could possibly cost more. I would suggest price out your options. Put together a full budget for doing it in your school gym and then do another one at a banquet facility. A restaurant is also a viable option. You might be surprised and that would really help your school make the decision based on the budget you have and what the kids want.

#4 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

Public board and hoping for tickets to be around $10-15 (which is why most banquet halls won't work). I think the tickets last year were $25.

#5 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

My grade 8 grad dinnner had been in the room at Mic Mac. In that weird 2 story building that seems so out of place there lol. I have no idea what the tickets were priced, and there has been inflation of the prices since then anyways.