8 replies to this topic

#1 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:34 AM

The big "S" word...studying! How do you manage to get your studying in?

Can you study at home when the kids are there? Do you have to wait until they are in bed or gone to school? Or do you just stay at the school yourself and study? What works, what doesn't for you?

DH sometimes will stay at the school or go in early and look over things. He cannot study when the kids are awake. And if he does he just puts his ear plugs in, goes in the bedroom and studies.

#2 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:38 AM

When I was in College my days were very long. I often didn't get to study until ODS was in bed. That meant I often started studying at 9pm. But, on occasion I'd leave him in daycare for an extra hour so I could get some work done. He also was a huge "help" with my anatomy studying. I would use him as a "study dummy". At age 3 he knew the names of every bone in his body, most major blood vessels and nerve bundles LOL. Also when it was exam time my family was great at helping out. They would take him for a night or 2 so I didn't have to worry about anything other than studying.

#3 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

Last year when I was in school I'd do my studying on any large breaks in they day rather than socializing or lunching most of the time. At home i had to study when DD was napping or in bed for the night otherwise I couldn't get anything done.

#4 SourPickle

SourPickle

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:05 AM

Normally I wait until the kids are in school and daycare to get some studying in. I have no classes on Fridays, which usually allows me an entire day to catch up on work. I will also study in the evenings, after all the children are sleeping. However, I've been finding this challenging because I am ready to go to sleep most days at 6pm because yds wakes up at 5am every morning. It's definitely a juggling act...

eta: now I am off until January 3. I finished my finals and paper last Friday. WOOT!

Edited by SourPickle, 12 December 2011 - 09:06 AM.

#5 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

When I went back to school I used 2 hours upon getting home with the kids to start studying. Dd had homework too every day, and the rule was homework first, and I led by example. When she was done she could play with her brother, but they had to respect that I wasn't done and to not be disruptive. After the two hours I'd do house work, then we could have fun.

Any additional studying would be once they were in bed.

#6 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

Studying with dd is damn near impossible in the week because my s/o works a split afternoon/midnight shift so he is gone from 3pm-6am ugh! I typically take a couple hours on Sunday when my s/o is home and head down to the basement where it is quiet and then go into class 3 hours early on test/exam day and take that time to review. I was up at 4am today to study from 6-9 for my exam. Totally took for granted how much easier it was when I went to school the first time around san-child :)

#7 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:41 PM

I used to take the few hours before I had to get dd at daycare after class to study and do any homework. I would so do some more when the kids were in bed or if dh had the night off.

#8 kears

kears

was #36 joined in Mar. 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

I can study with them awake and home....I turned my home daycare playroom into a study room. I have a very large table and printer and lots of storage for paper and pens, etc. I find that it is actually easier to do an assignment with them home than to do actual studying though. I tend to study sort of whenever I get a chance....so it sometimes does have to wait until the evening...(if the kids need my help with their homework first).

#9 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

I studied whenever I could! My program was only intensive with the schedule for the first 2 years, then the actual in class time when down a lot. That helped a lot because I had a lot more spare time without the kids.