33 replies to this topic

#1 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

Got my internet bill in today. First time I was ever charged more then my standard rate. We are with Cogeco and the normal rate I am charged for high speed is $49. Today when I opened my bill I was charged an additional $15 for internet usage.

I don't download music or movies. Hardly ever any downloads for things at all. I am usually the only one who goes on FB. DH does not have FB.

This is odd. I am going to be calling them as I haven't had a chance yet. But I don't understand it. Never have we ever gone over before.

Has anyone ever gone over since this whole new thing that has been implemented in?

Ughhhh...

#2 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

is it wireless
if you have wireless and your account is not locked anyone can use it

#3 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

We do have wireless...and also a pw on our router.

#4 windsorwoman7

windsorwoman7

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

Yes we switched because of this.

#5 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

I am with Cogeco too and anytime we are near going over they sent us an email letting us know.. They send it at 80%. You should have gotten something.
Do your kids have laptops? Mine likes to watch tv and stream off of disney.ca or family.ca or one of those lol.. and you tube.

#6 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

My kids don't use the internet or computers through the week unless it has to do with school work. We don't watch tv off the internet either. And I somehow cannot get into my Cogeco email account. Hmmmm...

#7 sherri

sherri

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:51 PM

My kids don't use the internet or computers through the week unless it has to do with school work. We don't watch tv off the internet either. And I somehow cannot get into my Cogeco email account. Hmmmm...

maybe someone figured out your password

#8 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

Well I was able to get into my account with them...and looking at the history...

I am in November over 84 MB download...in October we were at almost 20 and September 37.

Now in December we are at the 12th and I am showing at 52% of my usage. So something definately isn't right. I'm going to have them check to make sure no one is using our internet, cause like I said we barely download. Never music or movies...so...

#9 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

we are with cogeco too and we use it all. the. time. and download TONS and never have had to pay extra. Check into it for sure

#10 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

I would change your password like yesterday!

#11 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

I was talking with DH and he said it would be nearly impossible for someone to figure out our pw for our router...

I did change my pw with my email account on Cogeco. Now there is another pw right?

He is thinking someone is accessing our internet by hacking into our outside line, as he sees it seems to have been tampered with. So we are thinking that is what is going on. Hopefully they can see if that is the issue tomorrow somehow or have someone come out ASAP...cause I'll be if I'm paying for people to have internet.

#12 Rox028802

Rox028802

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:37 AM

I would call them asap tomorrow morning. I use TekkSavvy for my internet... and their basic thing gives u 300G's of downloading, which i never come close to. I love it :) I like to watch alot of shows online.

I have heard of hacked cable tv with cogeco... can they do it like that with internet? maybe ur hubby is right... I dont know enough about how that works to know.. but im curious..

I hope their able to help u tomorrow and fix this for u.

#13 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

I would call them asap tomorrow morning. I use TekkSavvy for my internet... and their basic thing gives u 300G's of downloading, which i never come close to. I love it :) I like to watch alot of shows online.

i use them too. But i have a bigger package.
loveeee them.
we run three laptops, netflix daily on the wii, two heavy use blackberry devices connected via wifi and have never had any issues.

is it possible someone used a hacking program to get into it?
i'd change the router asap.

#14 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:14 AM

Shady people use code crackers, so its not a matter of them being able to guess your router password.

#15 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

Our router is not even 10 months old. I cannot afford to replace my router.

I just got off the phone with them...we are changing our pw on our router and they said it is not possible for anyone to hack in from the outside line. But they do see how the jump just doesn't seem normal to what we normally use.

So hopefully that works.

#16 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

we have unlimited because with 4 kids, 2 computers and netflix, ipods we need it. Hmm, can they show you days that there was more usage, is it happening in the early morning, it just seems odd.

#17 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

One time there was a crazy amount of download at 6 am...we are not downloading at 6 am on a Monday and the Tuesday of the same week and even that much at all. It's just odd...but I'll keep an eye on my account and the usage to see how it's doing.

#18 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

Change the password on the router frequently, and they would hopefully be deterred.

#19 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

Ya DH said he'll be changing it weekly now...lol.

#20 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:58 AM

Are they going to waive the fee, then??

#21 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:02 AM

No...and they know that's not our normal usage.

#22 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:04 AM

I'd be fighting that..!

#23 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

do you turn you computers off, my provider once told me that even on facebook there are so many hidden adds that you don't see but are being downloaded, now why wouldn't they waive the fee, obviously something is going on, ask to talk to a manager.

#24 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

My DH leaves his on, but shuts things down when he is done, and just leaves it turned on...nothing running on it...but he doesn't do the FB thing...and I don't ever go on FB on his computer. Our laptop is only left one 1 day a week so it does a virus scan. FB is never left open over night...maybe if I walk away from the computer to do something...but that's it.

They won't take it off cause they said it has nothing to do on their end. It has to do with us. And because they said it is not possible for someone to split from our line outside that that is not why our usage was up. So that leaves it to someone got access to our router. I'm thankful it's only $15 and not more like it could be. KWIM?

#25 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

So that leaves it to someone got access to our router.

It is actually pretty easy to do. you can google it, download a couple of programs & bam you're in.
I did it to my parents when we first moved in here. We live 4 houses from each other. you don't even need the password.
change it often. make it completely unrelated to you and your life.

#26 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

Thank you!

#27 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

We avoided that by getting a wired router...pain in the butt running the line...but no chance of someone stealing our signal that way.

I would pitch a fit with them...your usage is out of whack, they need to investigate.... and someone could hack your lines, they just dont want to admit it...maybe go outside and check what you can see.

Keep in mind that streaming video, you tube all contribute to your downloaded amount as well.

#28 Jen K

Jen K

Bronze Volunteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

Jenny, did you ask them why you didnt receive an email letting you know you were at 80% of your download max?

I understand why they cant reverse the charges. We lowered ours to high speed lite and are fine except the months that my son was home, if he comes home for a few days, our usage skyrockets and we would get the email saying we were at 80%.. So we would have steady usage then all of a sudden have a month where it would double. We could have said the same thing, look at our usage, there is something not right. Cogeco would come back and say to Jenny, how do we know you didnt have company over that used more?

#29 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

Jenny, did you ask them why you didnt receive an email letting you know you were at 80% of your download max?

I understand why they cant reverse the charges. We lowered ours to high speed lite and are fine except the months that my son was home, if he comes home for a few days, our usage skyrockets and we would get the email saying we were at 80%.. So we would have steady usage then all of a sudden have a month where it would double. We could have said the same thing, look at our usage, there is something not right. Cogeco would come back and say to Jenny, how do we know you didnt have company over that used more?

See...I couldn't get into my Cogeco email account and still can't, but I can get into my cogeco account, just not the email...which I don't know why or what the difference is. I have to call them back. It's not an email that I use regularly so I forget about it...lol. The guy did ask if we had company that came over and used our internet. I explained that when company does come over, we don't go online cause we visit with our company. I don't have time to hang on the line tonight to access my email account...will do it tomorrow!

#30 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:10 AM

Your router should have logs as to what computers/devices were accessing your network. Check them to see if anyone else was on your network.

#31 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

Tim...how would he be able to get into the logs? Would it be under the router settings?

#32 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

He found it. It says the logs were disabled.

#33 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

He found it. It says the logs were disabled.

Which could mean a hacker got in and disabled them or it could just mean they were never enabled. Make sure to enable them. Also, you could check under the wireless area and it might still show the systems that have logged on recently. But for sure enable the logs. If you see them disabled again, you know someone has hacked in. Make sure the password is a "strong" password. That means at least 8-10 characters in length, upper and lowercase letters, and at least one number. And if the router allows it, use special characters as well. The stronger the password, the harder it is to hack in. Make sure you also use a different password for your wireless connection and your router administration. Use WPA2 on your wireless if you can.

Alternatively (or additionally), you could hard code your devices into the router. You would use their MAC addresses to do this. If you do this, no outside system, that you do not manually enable, should be able to connect.

#34 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

Thank you so much Tim. I will pass it on to him when he gets home from school!