11 replies to this topic

#1 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:02 PM

I was really pleasantly surprised to find the recycling/composting set up going on in the city I moved to. Every resident has a compost bin that's like a Herby Curby and compost items are collected every two weeks. Paper and glass/metal/plastic are picked up on alternating weeks (so every two weeks as well). You are limited to four bags of garbage every two weeks. So basically this past Monday was compost and paper pickup. Next Monday is garbage and glass/metal/plastic pickup. If you go over four bags I think you have to buy tags for the bags, but we haven't run into that issue yet. With all the stuff we can recycle and compost, there is very little garbage to throw away.

It's refreshing to have a program like this in place. I've wanted to start composting for quite some time, but never got around to it and it's so easy now to be able to just throw it in the bin and it's carted away every couple weeks.

It was a pain when our plastic/glass/metal bin (big garbage pail sized bin) wasn't emptied our first week here, but I think it was over the weight limit, so I separated the items into two bins, but once I get the hang of what the rules are it shouldn't be a problem. I'm also not crazy over the idea of garbage only being picked up every two weeks in the summer because it might get pretty stinky, but I'm hoping if I keep the lid tight on the garbage pail that it will be okay.

#2 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:11 AM

I hated that there. Glad they doubled the allowed garbage bags, that was a huge pita with a kid in diapers.

#3 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

my friend who is from toronto & lived there her entire life before moving here 2 years ago b*tches constantly about how windsor's system blows.
i wish it was similar here.

#4 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

In Nova Scotia they have a green bin, all food scraps, tea bags etc go in it and they pick it up. Windsor should do something like that.

#5 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

In Nova Scotia they have a green bin, all food scraps, tea bags etc go in it and they pick it up. Windsor should do something like that.

I was really surprised at the long list of things that can go in the compost bin. It really does cut back on almost all garbage once recycling and composting is accounted for. I think if they started small in Windsor they'd be able to get a similar system going.

Tired Mom, I agree with a little one (or multiple little ones) in diapers that it would suck to have a garbage limit, but environmentally I think it's excellent they have this program here. By limiting bags of garbage I'm sure it encourages people to use the recycling and composting pickups that are avail.

#6 joeyjoey

joeyjoey

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:49 PM

That does sound really good. I wish we could get herby-curby like cans for the recycling. Right now we have too many to lug to the road, I hate it. But having a large composter would really cut back on the garbage.

#7 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

That is neat, in Mackey it is two bags a week that we are allowed. There is no compost and recycle is picked up every other week. The part that sucks is that they wont allow recycle bins, we need to put everything in the clear plastic bags. Since being out here we barely get one kitchen sized bag of garbage a week (which is awesome).

I am interested to see what Deep River is like.

#8 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

That's awesome! I know that since we recycle a lot more our garbage collection has been cut in half, we need more bins..lol. We used to have 4 garbage bags a week. Now it is 2 a week...sometimes 3. But big bins like Herby Curby's for recycle would be awesome. We have the big bins for recycle and they are overflowing every 2 weeks, and we have 3 recycle bins.

#9 ang691

ang691

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

I think it's a great idea for the environment. I know it can make things harder and more inconvenient for some, but I think it would just take some getting used to. We have way too much garbage.

#10 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

That's awesome! I know that since we recycle a lot more our garbage collection has been cut in half, we need more bins..lol. We used to have 4 garbage bags a week. Now it is 2 a week...sometimes 3. But big bins like Herby Curby's for recycle would be awesome. We have the big bins for recycle and they are overflowing every 2 weeks, and we have 3 recycle bins.

The compost bin isn't as big as a Herby Curby, but it works the same way in that the truck can hook onto the bin and tip the contents into the truck. I have to wonder why the yellow bin is so big here though (roughly same size as the compost bin) because you are given a weight limit and if you filled the whole thing I'm sure it'd go over the weight limit if there were several glass items in it. The compost bin has no weight limit because it's lifted by the truck, but the yellow bin is lifted with people power.

I think it's a great idea for the environment. I know it can make things harder and more inconvenient for some, but I think it would just take some getting used to. We have way too much garbage.

It really is amazing the amount that we no longer have to throw in the garbage. I was always big on recycling when I was in Windsor, but the compost bin makes an even bigger reduction on the stuff that would normally go in the garbage. I am honestly worried about the summer and having garbage bags sitting around for 2 weeks instead of one and I'm wondering if the compost bin is going to smell in the summer, but for now it's way too cold for anything to stink.

#11 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:14 PM

The compost bin isn't as big as a Herby Curby, but it works the same way in that the truck can hook onto the bin and tip the contents into the truck. I have to wonder why the yellow bin is so big here though (roughly same size as the compost bin) because you are given a weight limit and if you filled the whole thing I'm sure it'd go over the weight limit if there were several glass items in it. The compost bin has no weight limit because it's lifted by the truck, but the yellow bin is lifted with people power.

It really is amazing the amount that we no longer have to throw in the garbage. I was always big on recycling when I was in Windsor, but the compost bin makes an even bigger reduction on the stuff that would normally go in the garbage. I am honestly worried about the summer and having garbage bags sitting around for 2 weeks instead of one and I'm wondering if the compost bin is going to smell in the summer, but for now it's way too cold for anything to stink.

Smell and lots of bees/flies. You will want to keep them as far away from your door as you can.

#12 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:07 PM

Smell and lots of bees/flies. You will want to keep them as far away from your door as you can.

Thanks, I'll have to figure out a good spot for everything before the warmer weather hits then :unsure